why is woby invincible?

i was hoping that woby would be like abigail and chester and she could get hit and die(and maybe when he dies walter loses sanity all the time or something it would be an interesting and fun perk) and when she died you could revive her body using a telltale heart. so her being invincible actually doesn't make sense to me like why can chester die and woby can't (and maybe you could command her to stay so she doesn't die all time) so this way woby would be an interesting aspect to the game instead of just being an invincible chester)

and i really thought woby would be faster thats why i was so hyped up about this character but its just an extra chester the only difference is that she doesn't die (which is boring for me )

(just one more thing i bought all the walter skins thinking woby would change too and i am really disappointed that she stays the same)

11 minutes ago, yasir said:

i was hoping that woby would be like abigail and chester and she could get hit and die(and maybe when he dies walter loses sanity all the time or something it would be an interesting and fun perk) and when she died you could revive her body using a telltale heart. so her being invincible actually doesn't make sense to me like why can chester die and woby can't (and maybe you could command her to stay so she doesn't die all time) so this way woby would be an interesting aspect to the game instead of just being an invincible chester)

and i really thought woby would be faster thats why i was so hyped up about this character but its just an extra chester the only difference is that she doesn't die (which is boring for me )

(just one more thing i bought all the walter skins thinking woby would change too and i am really disappointed that she stays the same)

Wendy skins did not change Abigail, Willow skins did not change Bernie, Wilson skins do not even change his beard. Not sure why you would assume this was different for Woby.

There might be skins for the little puppy in the future, but those will most certainly be indepenedent skins, not based off of Walter's wardrobe.

17 minutes ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

Woby is immortal.

My Carrat was not Immortal, I think that if your going to have a follower... be it Carrat, be it Bernie, Merms, Abigail or now Woby..

That those followers should be able to take damage, they should get hurt, they should need protection and for you to actually pay attention to them.. as being an actual thing.

Woby feels like a simple “unkillable Chester/Beefalo”

I mean yes she runs away from danger but there should still be SOME Things that can harm her, such as for example Swamp Tentacle, Enemies attacking her while she’s cowering in fear etc...

I think Klei just opted into the “Woby is Immortal” concept simply because it’s less frustrating for casual newbie players.

But that in itself is confusing to me.... because Walter also has a small belly and goes into Starvation status a lot quicker.. which as we all know isn’t a casual friendly feature.

*shrugs* who knows?

2 hours ago, CremeLover said:

Wendy skins did not change Abigail, Willow skins did not change Bernie, Wilson skins do not even change his beard. Not sure why you would assume this was different for Woby.

i said change about changing the looks not changing how he works wth

2 minutes ago, yasir said:

i said change about changing the looks not changing how he works wth

I was assuming you were reffering to head skins changing the look of followers. To which I reply this has never been the case in this game as all followers and sometimes part of the character skin did not change with the head skin.

Not sure why you would assume I meant skins change gameplay functionality.

Woby is an improved pet, same as the ones pet cave provides, only that it is permanent and has 2 huge advantages (inventory space and can carry you). It's not combat oriented, it does not draw aggro, and I think it shouldn't get damaged or die.

Woby just needs rebalance on the fact that Big Woby gets very slow after a very short time and there's no way to overcome that. Either remove the slowness mechanic, or make it so you can keep it fast by overfeeding it monster meat.

EG: Keep giving big Woby 3 monster meats a day to keep him big and decently fast. If you don't give him food for a day he gets slow, and if you don't feed him then for 2 minutes, he becomes small again. Or something like that

4 hours ago, CremeLover said:

Not sure why you would assume I meant skins change gameplay functionality.

sorry my bad 

the reason i taught the head skins would change woby was because there is no way to spawn him and he just spawns with you at the start of the game (and the portraits for the headskins have different wobys in them so i taught they would change)

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

the dog cant die until is the end of the film

Walter is gonna have to take the blunderbuss he got from Warbucks, and take Woby out back behind the base when Woby starts getting too old to walk properly.

35 minutes ago, Neutral_Steve said:

No hurting little puppy dog.

yeah i know i am not a psychopath i don't want her to die all the time:blue:. i tought having to rely on her hp as well as yours would be pretty an interesting perk

If she can die then I feel that she should be able to fight and have even more forms, it's only fair. Aside from that, it gets annoying when you have to babysit Chester or Hutch so they don't die and drop your loot or aggro enemies onto you; but at least with Chester you can get him to stop following you, Woby is permanent.

Same reason as pets, because "CUTE!!!11!!!"

Easily modded in the ability for Big and Small Woby to die, with animations and sounds and everything, with a respawn timer too.

Thats going to be in a future Uncompromising Mode update, this month hopefully. I feel like its completely fair, Woby actually does a great job of running away from threats that are attacking her, without me having to have even added any of that functionality.

You can actually take advantage of this and get some free shots in with the slingshot, I don't know why this isn't already a thing.

4 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Easily modded in the ability for Big and Small Woby to die, with animations and sounds and everything, with a respawn timer too.

Thats going to be in a future Uncompromising Mode update, this month hopefully. I feel like its completely fair, Woby actually does a great job of running away from threats that are attacking her, without me having to have even added any of that functionality.

You can actually take advantage of this and get some free shots in with the slingshot, I don't know why this isn't already a thing.

Note that the second Walter came out, he immediately went on a rant about how he wants to kill the dog in Discord.

I let him do it out of fear tbh

2 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Because I’m starting to realize that DST is holding our hand and letting us sit peacefully by a campfire telling stories where as DS Shipwrecked or DS Hamlet are brutally hardcore punishing experiences?

Woby is Companion.. just like Bernie, Just like Abigail- Maybe not Dying... but at least becoming injured enough to be rendered unusable laying there suffering until you heal her up. (dying only makes sense from a gameplay perspective.. it does NOT make sense from a LORE Perspective- Theres only one Woby..) 

sounds demented, sounds cruel.. sounds like I’m some psychotic freak but I’m playing a game not intended for tiny little  children.. Woby should be able to be injured or completely Die.

Meanwhile I can attack and kill dogs in Minecraft all day, a game rated E and actually intended for little children..

Yeah I think I prove my point.. Woby the completely invincible has to go.

On 6/16/2020 at 5:37 PM, Brubs said:

Because if he took damage, Walter could just slingshot everything without getting hit.

The end.

I don’t think enough people are considering this lol. If Woby can take damage, then Woby can be attacked. If Woby can be attacked, then Woby can draw aggro. If Woby can draw aggro, then things aggroed on her won’t attack Walter if he is using his slingshot. 

19 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

I don’t think enough people are considering this lol. If Woby can take damage, then Woby can be attacked. If Woby can be attacked, then Woby can draw aggro. If Woby can draw aggro, then things aggroed on her won’t attack Walter if he is using his slingshot. 

Simply by adding the combat component, this is the list of things that will actively target Woby:

Killer Bees, Deerclops, Hounds, Eyeplants, Mutated Pengulls, Gmoose, Vargs, Charged Volt Goats, and Werepigs.

The list is relatively small, and Woby tends to run away fast enough from things like bees and hounds for them to de-aggro, plus you could tune Woby's targeting tags even further, tune her health and speed, flee distance, all sorts of things.

She tends to die to Deerclops, Pengulls swarms, Gmoose, hordes of Hounds, and by enraged dragonfly proxy.

Walter could have been designed for this in mind.

Archived