should klei add Wheeler to dst

honestly, i think Wheeler could fit into a role that has been barely touched by any other character aside from woodie in form of a goose, this would be exploration.
goose woodie can probably outspeed wheeler but goose woodie is in my opinion best for finding the lunar island and wheeler could explore the land, without a curse that makes her starve after it runs out of GoOsE jUiCe.
what do you guys think?

I think she would be a great addition. But she would need to be tweaked a little

For example her horn and compass. Only having 1 of each that are infinite use is quite selfish!
so a way to fix this would to make the horn and compass craftable, but use durability. Especially for the horn. Much like willows lighter

But this would basically make her able to craft her own ranged weapons and pass them out to people for them to use. Maybe they could only have 10-20 shots each, but only need gold and rocks to craft.

Not to mention her having a speed boost and dodging would help with removing that role from WX, as he has much more potential than just the fastest character.
The only issue is the dodge and how wortox already has a SIMILAR dodge mechanic with soul hopping. As in being able to avoid damage. So if wheeler was added, she may be compared to wortox in that way. 

Wheeler could work with a few tweaks, I think, like how Wormwood received a few tweaks on his way to DST. She'd work really well as the designated ranged character! Maybe make her deal less melee damage, increased ranged damage? Perhaps her horn would need to be given durability, but craftable and usable by everyone. (Like Willow's Lighter)

Her dodge might need a longer cooldown(?) to prevent boss cheesing and the likes, and I'm wondering if specific craftable ammunition for Wheeler's horn would be smarter than allowing her to use valuable resources, hmm.

Overall, i'd be totally down for Wheeler's inclusion, she's got a beautiful design, majestic ragtime piano voice, and a fun character personality. :wilson_smile:

I think she would be a terrible addition. Even if she got tweaked.

For example, her pew-pew matic horn isn't that good and takes too long to fire, and the compass would be ultimately useless in DST.

And if she was made able to craft her own pew-pew matic horn and compasses and be able to pass them out to people, that would just be game-breaking even if they had a durability, which would make them even more useless even if they had cheap recipes.

And I want to mention her speed when inventory is not full is completely useless, plus the less inventory space is bad. And her dodge ability isn't even worth it, since you can easily mess up and get hit and perish, and she wouldn't be the fastest character because Wolfgang will always be the fastest character because he gains speed when at full belly, and if he uses a cane, magiluminescence while walking on a path he'd still be the fastest. And she can't even be compared to Wortox, his soul abilities can do much more and he can reach further                                                                                           

Spoiler

It's a joke for God's shake...

I read nothing except if wheeler should be added.

i'm not biased or anything buut.... 

EDIT: 

Yes.

For real though the biggest plus about Wheeler is her character and personalty, so happy, sarcastic and full of adventure. 

Is Wheeler's perks enough as a whole new character that's just as usable in hamlet or SW for DST? iii- not really.. However they can always be tweaked to fulfill their purpose for DST, (or a rework but still going for the same thing). I think, to me (again not at all biased here) is that she' has too much potential to be another stuckup DS character. 

But then again i wouldn't really care if she didn't have a role. I'd just play her for the personality alone. OKAY so maybe i am a BIT biased.

No.

Spoiler

(I’m only answering No. just to annoy people who want her, and while personally I’d prefer WALANI over anyone else.. they all should be in the game- Including Wheeler.. though she would likely get nerfed if she ever came, Walani on the other hand.. wouldn’t need any additional Nerfings. Haha.)

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

No.

Hide contents

(I’m only answering No. just to annoy people who want her, and while personally I’d prefer WALANI over anyone else.. they all should be in the game- Including Wheeler.. though she would likely get nerfed if she ever came, Walani on the other hand.. wouldn’t need any additional Nerfings. Haha.)

Walani...? I mean... Why? She does her best in shipwrecked and that's all. She could sail the ocean early sure, but what's the point...?

59 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

For example, her pew-pew matic horn isn't that good and takes too long to fire, and the compass would be ultimately useless in DST...

...And if she was made able to craft her own pew-pew matic horn and compasses and be able to pass them out to people, that would just be game-breaking even if they had a durability.

So, her items are "not that good" and "useless" respectively, but would be game breaking if she could give them to other people? I'm not sure I understand.

And I want to mention her speed when inventory is not full is completely useless, plus the less inventory space is bad

"Completely useless" is way too much of an exaggeration. That bit of speed is constantly going to have an effect on your gameplay, even if you aren't always feeling it you're still doing everything slightly faster.

Also the less inventory space is supposed to be bad, it's a downside. And it's a pretty interesting one early on, in my opinion.

And her dodge ability isn't even worth it, since you can easily mess up and get hit and perish

This implies that you're both dodging at the wrong times (player error) and wearing no armor/little enough armor that you die in one hit (also player error.) The dodge itself is super neat if you use it properly, allowing you to get extra hits on most any mob and just generally making combat more fun.

And she can't even be compared to Wortox, his soul abilities can do much more and he can reach further                    

She can't even be compared to Wortox, but we're comparing her to Wortox? Okay.

Wortox's soul hop: Wortox can only soul hop if he's got a soul, which he can only hold 20 of a time. Wortox has to kill a living creature any time he wants a soul, and those souls are likely also going to be his food source.
Wheeler's dodge: You can just right click, with a 1.5 second cooldown.
With Wortox, you can do a lot of neat tricks and explore things easier at the cost of cutting into what is likely your food source, while with Wheeler you're able to dodge out of the way of almost every attack in a single fight at 0 cost. Both are used in very very different ways, so it's true that they aren't comparable. They're completely different.

If I'm being honest, it feels like you just don't have any good reason to dislike Wheeler and you're just trying your best to come up with anything, but it's all ending up really silly.

While Wheeler could potentially be a cool character to have in DST, i feel its better if she is saved for just Don't Starve. Adding a bunch of the content from Don't Starve would just give people less of a reason to play the original game. Another reason is that if more and more characters keep getting added, it's just gonna feel bloated. Looking at the list of characters that are already in DST, it feels like we have too many right now (to the point where some characters pretty much have the same perks or downsides), and we're getting atleast one more character. And I do think that in the case they want to bring another character from singleplayer, it should be someone that much more fits into the whole sailing theme (Woodlegs).

21 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Walani...? I mean... Why? She does her best in shipwrecked and that's all. She could sail the ocean early sure, but what's the point...?

since this thread is NOT about Walani I will choose to paste this entire Comment into a Spoiler tag. 

Spoiler

Walani wouldn’t be as Broken as Wheeler.. Walani would be very useful in using her surfboards to gather small things out in the Water without needing to plop down a fully functional boat platform.

You need 4 planks to build the Seafaring Tab, you need an additional 4 planks to build a boat kit, and then you need 1 extra wood to build an oar to row your boat cookie platform with (this is only the bare minimal to building a boat.. I’m ignoring Anchor, Mast, Wheel etc..) 

as you know- 4 Wood = 1 Plank so you need exactly 33 logs of wood to build a boat worthy of functioning.

Walani spawns with a small portable Surfboard, she can pick up and reuse... WURT needs a large amount of Seaweed to build the Royal Tapestry.. 

If for no other reason why Walani..

Wurt + Walani.

image.png

33 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Wasn't it obvious...? I used many elements from @DarkPulse91 's comment and basically wrote the opposite stuff and right... I forget that sarcasm is hard to understand through text.

I assumed it was a joke seeing how much you say about wheeler killing warbucks :P

I think Wheeler shouldn't be added into DST now, maybe when there will be some kind of Hamlet update. Then she would fit in! Maybe update with fragment of Hamlet (since 'Moon' piece falled). She could also fall in with it? I dunno, but I think she shouldn't be added now and she would need tweaks.

Serious talk though- Klei has not yet added Hamlet to any console outside of PC... Console does not even have the free Wagstaff DLC character.

I believe there is a HUGE Reason for this- The entire concept of Wagstaffs Blurry Vision sounds like something that would be near impossible to perform on an Xbox console without you know my Xbox blowing up?

(keep in mind it was XBOX that had that terrible Tragic Torch bug back during WintersFeast that didn’t just freeze your game... but completely powered down your console.)

I really hate to say this but.. Maybe the reason we DONT Have Hamlet yet is because our platforms aren’t capable of properly running Hamlet?

Which leaves Wheeler herself up as Questionable as well... how would her “Dodge” Work on an Xbox Controller? Will it  be just as limited in range and effectiveness as Wortox Soul Hops or Fishing Rod Cast range?

And if it IS that limited.. would Wheeler Then be Crippled on any other platform outside of PC? 

I guess only Klei knows those answers- But I would hate for them to design content entirely around it working on their PC build of the game and then that content not turning out so well when applied to an Xbox Controller.

We can use Wendy’s Refresh as an Example, Apparently on PC all you have to do is Drag Abigails flower out of your inventory and over her to recall her back into her flower to heal her up or whatever.. on an Xbox you have to be standing within Spear slapping distance of Abigail and then press left on your D-pad to Recall.

Stuff like this is what Klei will be thinking about before they can just be like Yeah let’s totally add Wagstaff & Wheeler!

And while this thread isn’t about Walani, Wilbur or Woodlegs.. I can still say they’re already ON XBOX and we already know how they function on Xbox.

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Which leaves Wheeler herself up as Questionable as well... how would her “Dodge” Work on an Xbox Controller? Will it  be just as limited in range and effectiveness as Wortox Soul Hops or Fishing Rod Cast range?

And if it IS that limited.. would Wheeler Then be Crippled on any other platform outside of PC? 

Wheeler has a fixed distance for dodging, (if I recall correctly) no matter where you have your cursor/pointer, she will dodge a set distance in that direction. I think Wheeler's dodge mechanic is more forgiving than Wortox's soul hops, but high ping might make her dodge completely unusable in combat. It can also be used to move around quickly, dodging from resource to resource, making her quite the gatherer too.

Yes, but only after my Wilbur.
The reason for the "Yes" is that char is someone fav (for me, Wilbur), and that's enough, everyone should be able to play the game as the char they love, useful or not (no offence), It's about fun, right?! what could be more fun than be able to play the game you like as the char you love.

P/s: @he. i give you a "Yes", so you should give me a "Yes" to my Wilbur"s arrival too, right?! 

I want Woodlegs with the ability to have exclusive access nautical tab from shipwreck. It's because selfishly I cannot get used to the bulky boats we have in DS:T.  Lol He probably would be the dead last character to be added once all the sea stuff is finished.

Archived