should klei add Wheeler to dst

1 hour ago, Psychomaniac said:

Yes, but only after my Wilbur.
The reason for the "Yes" is that char is someone fav (for me, Wilbur), and that's enough, everyone should be able to play the game as the char they love, useful or not (no offence), It's about fun, right?! what could be more fun than be able to play the game you like as the char you love.

P/s: @he. i give you a "Yes", so you should give me a "Yes" to my Wilbur"s arrival too, right?! 

At least your character is official... from the singleplayer version, you can get a little mod to port him into DST! (if you are on pc that is)

I believe that all characters could be added to DST, it would increase the possibilities and make the game wider, and Wheeler I found the character more fun to play, it would be a great inclusion but I repeat, all characters could be easily included in STD

(since I’m just seeing Wigfrids, Wendys and Woodies on the servers for the most part)

Now that Hamlet is on Xbox and I know EXACTLY how Wheeler plays on Xbox I can safely say that they could add her into the game as early as TOMMOROW and she would fit right on in.

Her dodge ability is an inferior version of Wortox’s soul hop it functions in the same exact way, except for her it’s infinite has less range and doesn’t require souls to use, but comes with a 2-3 second delay between being able to dodge Again.

Her Pewmatic horn is a joke novelty item now that Walters Slingshot exists. Why??? Because 6 Rocks for Wheeler is just 6 rounds of Ammo and each item loaded into her Pewmatic is destroyed after use, 6 Rocks for Walter is 60 rounds of Ammo..

The ONLY thing about Wheeler that might be a tad bit Broken is the Navigadget.. it is an absurdly useful noob friendly finding stuff tool.. (especially in Hamlet.. where it takes me right to normally hard to find things like Peacock feather, pigskins, & Relics) this one item may need a bit of restriction applied to what all could be placed into it and tracked down.. other then that- I heavily feel like Wheeler could be added tomorrow and there wouldn’t be any game breaking changes now.

Yes, she should be added, she is cool as frick. And with the excuse of Walter, I think she won't be seen as "that character that can attack from a distance" 

Spoiler

"and kill birds omg OP pls nerf" 

Being the only character, not taking in account Wortox, with an active ability makes her interesting. I like that kind of things. Also SKINS. Survivor Wheeler skin THO. 

But anyway, i would like the entire SW roster to be added as well. Woodlegs is one of my favorite characters ever, Walani is cool (imagine the skins) and Munke is funneh.

I want Wheeler, but I think Klei may be inclined to not put Wheeler in any time soon because Walter almost totally fills her role as a risky, quick, ranged attacker. However the role of explorer isn't totally filled because Walter and everyone else have nothing like the navigadget. They could add Wheeler, but give her some new abilities and tweaks so that she has her own significant role not competing with Walter. Similar to how Warly had large changes from single player Warly. 

16 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

The ONLY thing about Wheeler that might be a tad bit Broken is the Navigadget.. it is an absurdly useful noob friendly finding stuff tool.. (especially in Hamlet.. where it takes me right to normally hard to find things like Peacock feather, pigskins, & Relics) this one item may need a bit of restriction applied to what all could be placed into it and tracked down.. other then that- I heavily feel like Wheeler could be added tomorrow and there wouldn’t be any game breaking changes now.

Try it in SW, you will never miss any island xD

The more I play as Wheeler.. the more I think that being able to craft Navigadets and give them to all the noobs who keep endlessly dying on Xbox One would be the absolute most perfect thing to help said noobs well “Not Die?”  Having trouble finding Twigs, & Grass to make a Torch? No problem! Stick the ones you have in this nifty little gadget and it’ll lead you right to them.

Navigadget reminds me of a games “Tutorial Mode” if you will, where you learn the game by following arrows on screen as they guide you teaching you how to play.

Being able to craft these and hand them out to other players in DST would be considered Wheelers Team perk, and to an Expert player who has been playing for yearrrrrrrssss this device wont help them much at all because they already know where to go to find stuff, However- This thing would be blessing to anyone who doesn’t know where to go or what to do.

20 hours ago, Misa22 said:

Yes, she should be added, she is cool as frick. And with the excuse of Walter, I think she won't be seen as "that character that can attack from a distance" 

Reveal hidden contents

"and kill birds omg OP pls nerf" 

Being the only character, not taking in account Wortox, with an active ability makes her interesting. I like that kind of things. Also SKINS. Survivor Wheeler skin THO. 

But anyway, i would like the entire SW roster to be added as well. Woodlegs is one of my favorite characters ever, Walani is cool (imagine the skins) and Munke is funneh.

I gotta say I do wish more characters get active abilities one way I thought Wigfrid's rework could go is by giving her abilities that could I influence combat like Wheeler's dodge roll and Bernie's taunt at the cost of say sanity and/or hunger.

I love Wheeler in single player so I would like to see her come over eventually, but I think she would need a lot of changes especially regarding ammo if they keep her horn. I like that Walter crafts ammo instead of using the resource directly. She works fine in single player because you are the only player but imagine 10 people running around with pewmatic horns and not a single rock or flint left on the map because everyone is stockpiling them for ammo

10 minutes ago, sudoku said:

imagine 10 people running around with pewmatic horns and not a single rock or flint left on the map because everyone is stockpiling them for ammo

That's a really weird and unlikely scenario because it implies that 1. people don't already stockpile resources like flint and 2. people playing Wheeler will be going specifically for base damage ammo... and they'll use flint and rocks for that base damage ammo rather than just twigs, or most any other item in the game. This kinda just feels like a misunderstanding of how Wheeler plays.

4 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

That's a really weird and unlikely scenario because it implies that 1. people don't already stockpile resources like flint and 2. people playing Wheeler will be going specifically for base damage ammo... and they'll use flint and rocks for that base damage ammo rather than just twigs, or most any other item in the game.

I don't see how it's weird and unlikely. People collecting resources like rocks get 1 or 2 stacks and that's usually it and then leftovers are stored in base most of the time. But if their character is dependent on using a ranged weapon then all of a sudden most wheelers will always have 2 stacks of rocks constantly. And I understand Wigfrid exists but her helms and spears are much much more efficient in their consumption.

Even substituting other resources, the problem is still there. Resources will be depleted at a much higher rate

The bottom line is Wheelers Pewmatic is a silly novelty item, because the very second a Walter enters a server he can just craft her a slingshot and and turn 6 rocks into 60 rounds of ammo.

no one will ever use the Pewmatic ever again... even people who play using the Celestial portal will just swap to Walter, craft tons of slingshots and Slingshot Ammo then swap back to Wheeler and throw her Pewmatic into the nearest Lureant trash can.

Comparing the Pewmatic to a Slingshot is fairly redundant.. one clearly outclasses the other in every way imaginable.

The ONE and ONLY tool Wheeler would have that would Benefit anyone (noobs who die mostly) are craftable Navigadgets she can pass around to everyone.

Meanwhile the Pewmatic should be locked as something only Wheeler can use.. because uhhh- Everyone else is just gonna use a Slingshot anyway.

20 minutes ago, sudoku said:

But if their character is dependent on using a ranged weapon then all of a sudden most wheelers will always have 2 stacks of rocks constantly.

Again I think this is a misunderstanding of how Wheeler plays. Wheeler is not dependent on her pewmatic, it's not even all that useful for regular combat, as she can dodge out of the way of attacks or simply kite like anyone else. She has lower health than usual sure, but since meat effigies don't inflict a max health penalty in DST she'll always be at a max of 100, which is more than enough breathing room with armor + the ability to dodge.

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

the very second a Walter enters a server he can just craft her a slingshot and and turn 6 rocks into 60 rounds of ammo.

no one will ever use the Pewmatic ever again... even people who play using the Celestial portal will just swap to Walter, craft tons of slingshots and Slingshot Ammo then swap back to Wheeler and throw her Pewmatic into the nearest Lureant trash can.

Comparing the Pewmatic to a Slingshot is fairly redundant.. one clearly outclasses the other in every way imaginable.

Meanwhile the Pewmatic should be locked as something only Wheeler can use.. because uhhh- Everyone else is just gonna use a Slingshot anyway.

Only Walter can use his slingshot, so no it wouldn't outrank the pewmatic at all, and in fact the pewmatic would even arguably be better than slingshots in some cases as Walter could craft her some basic ammo and it would do much more damage when fired out of the pewmatic (45, or 34 if they specifically do low pewmatic damage.)

1 minute ago, Sunset Skye said:

Again I think this is a misunderstanding of how Wheeler plays. Wheeler is not dependent on her pewmatic, it's not even all that useful for regular combat, as she can dodge out of the way of attacks or simply kite like anyone else. She has lower health than usual sure, but since meat effigies don't inflict a max health penalty in DST she'll always be at a max of 100, which is more than enough breathing room with armor + the ability to dodge.

Only Walter can use his slingshot, so no it wouldn't outrank the pewmatic at all, and in fact the pewmatic would even arguably be better than slingshots in some cases as Walter could craft her some basic ammo and it would do much more damage when fired out of the pewmatic (45.)

Uhhh no, anyone can use Walters Slingshot, they just have to be crafted and preloaded with his Ammo pellets first. I was passing them around to everyone who joined my server the other night with around 40 gold rounds already loaded inside- did I miss something & Klei changed it so only Walter can use them now?? 

To Clarify- Anyone should be able to pick up and use.. but to get more Ammo for it- Walter has to craft it for them.

43 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Uhhh no, anyone can use Walters Slingshot, they just have to be crafted and preloaded with his Ammo pellets first. I was passing them around to everyone who joined my server the other night with around 40 gold rounds already loaded inside- did I miss something & Klei changed it so only Walter can use them now?? 

To Clarify- Anyone should be able to pick up and use.. but to get more Ammo for it- Walter has to craft it for them.

uh, nobody but walter can actually equip them. they can carry them in their inventory, but only walter can shoot or put it in their hand slot.

11413187_ezgif.com-video-to-gif(3).gif.12b5c2055d5fb934ed3160486481a1db.gif

1 minute ago, Lbphero said:

uh, nobody but walter can actually equip them. they can carry them in their inventory, but only walter can shoot or put it in their hand slot.

11413187_ezgif.com-video-to-gif(3).gif.12b5c2055d5fb934ed3160486481a1db.gif

So leaving A few chests full of them by the Portal with ammo doesnt actually help anyone if they’re not playing as Walter?

Wow.. Walter is the least team oriented character they’ve added yet! 

I’ve been foolishly crafting these things, loading them with 60 gold rounds and handing them to people randomly.

I mean.. Wigfrid can craft OP Spears and Hats And pass them around like Candy.. why can I even GIVE them to a non-Walter then??? 

It balances itself out- Because Only Walter can craft the Pellets needed as Ammo, same as only Wigfrid can craft Helm and Spear.

Like almost any other character from DS (SW or Hamlet), I believe Wheeler is perfect for DST, but I also think she has to be slightly re-designed for multi-player. There are a few things that are coming we want or not almost 100% sure:

• Pew-matic horn now has durability. Although, seeing Walter's slingshot, it seems they are having trouble to add durability to this sort of weapons that take items inside.
  • Only Wheeler can use the navigadget or the pew-matic horn.
  • The pew-matic horn and navigadget are now craftable.

Then, the change I think fits her the most (after all, she likes to "travel light"):

• Wheeler cannot bypass her inventory speed drop with a backpack, but her speed cannot drop below the normal speed of a character. Otherwise, Wheeler would become most picked because she just makes kiting, base-decorating, and world-exploring that much easier and you can just wear a backpack to ignore the "penalty".

I would also add another change to compensate:

• After "dodging" Wheeler gains a slight speed buff for a few seconds, but doing it consumes some hunger. She also cannot dodge if her hunger is below a certain threshold (33% I think is good). Also, dodging multiple times does not stack more speed, but it does reset the timer. This way she can still bypass the inventory speed drop but it is not so easy to do so, and dodging also helps her escape or kite enemies (fight or flight). Specially useful considering dodging will not be as reliable in DST as it is in DS.

Oh, that thing about Walter's ammo on Wheeler's pewmatic sounds actually like a pretty interesting idea/synergy. 

But yeah, saying that a couple Wheelers would deplete the resources of a world is not accurate at all. I mean, when you play Wheeler in Hamlet do you really "deplete" anything? You end up shooting some twigs to aggro mobs, dodging, using the spear...

She is a really REALLY fun character, but sadly, really misunderstood. 

Edit:

@pedregales

While I totally agree on Wheeler being the only one able to use the navigadget (I don't think Klei would do otherwise) and both things being craftable (because it is the recurring trend of DST since anyone could steal your items), I think the pewmatic having durability would be an annoyance more than a "balance change". 

You could totally have the resources at hand to craft an infinity number of them, but it would get in the way of Wheeler's "inventory space = speed" perk, so it would be double the annoyance in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, Misa22 said:

Oh, that thing about Walter's ammo on Wheeler's pewmatic sounds actually like a pretty interesting idea/synergy. 

But yeah, saying that a couple Wheelers would deplete the resources of a world is not accurate at all. I mean, when you play Wheeler in Hamlet do you really "deplete" anything? You end up shooting some twigs to aggro mobs, dodging, using the spear...

She is a really REALLY fun character, but sadly, really misunderstood. 

Klei is making DSTs characters significantly easier to play then DS Solo..

There is evidence that backs this theory by stating that Willow never needs to actually fear insanity, because Bernie wrecks everything for her.

Wendy no longer has a less damage penalty, because attacking with Abigails petal buff actually boosts her damage.. plus she can build Sisturn fill it full of flower petal stand beside it and never worry about sanity drain ever again.

the “Harsh Crippling Downsides” seemingly seem to be disappearing completely with each refresh. 

That does NOT mean that the entire game will always be noob friendly, they can always add Uber challenging content at anytime they feel like it, this simply just means... people will be able to select for example Wendy- and never have to worry about dying in Darkness thanks to Abigails ghostly helpful glow.

—————————

I bring all of this up Because Wheelers Navigadget seems like the most Noob friendly tool to ever exist!

It’s literally just an Arrow under your feet leading you to the exact location of whatever item you placed into the Navigadget.

I can guarantee you that my noob friend who can’t find enough twigs, or grass to build a torch to survive through a night, will never have any trouble finding those things ever again if I could just craft and give him a Navigadget.

@Misa22 I personally don't think that to be the case, you could just craft 1 or 2 if you believe your pew-matic is going to break or that you are going to use it a lot, and you will only be losing 1-2% of speed for doing so, while Wheeler is still faster than your average character (in fact, in Hamlet, even if you filled all of her personal inventory slots she would still be slightly faster than the average character). However, as I said, seeing Klei's handle of weapons that hold items, it seems less likely they add durability to it.

18 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I can guarantee you that my noob friend who can’t find enough twigs, or grass to build a torch to survive through a night, will never have any trouble finding those things ever again if I could just craft and give him a Navigadget.

Which is NOT a bad thing! 

Having "noob friendly tools" in the game is a positive thing. I know that the game is supposed to be hard, but really, what are you afraid of? 

If a noob gets a gold nugget and can actually find more, or meat, or whatever, he can actually learn to find them with other characters. 

Casual players are good for any game. And it is not that you can find something that breaks progression (the only super good thing i can think of is using a gem or gears to be able to pinpoint the ruins location, but it is not hard to find anyway). 

I do want Wheeler to come to DST, but I want the Shipwrecked characters first, and they'd fit in better with the current focus on populating the new DST ocean.

9 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

That's a really weird and unlikely scenario because it implies that 1. people don't already stockpile resources like flint and 2. people playing Wheeler will be going specifically for base damage ammo... and they'll use flint and rocks for that base damage ammo rather than just twigs, or most any other item in the game. This kinda just feels like a misunderstanding of how Wheeler plays.

Why worry about Wheeler players taking all the rocks and flint when moleworms exist?

Archived