On The Biggest Problem Of The DST Community

First, let me preface this post with a statement: I do not mean posting this to start a witch hunt, for accusations and condemnation to fly out thanks to this expose. Instead, I want to share this to bring awareness to dirty deeds done dirt cheap against artists, such that things like these never be perpetrated again.

Video credit goes to James Bucket.

Credits to all the content creators involved in this cause. I'll leave the links to their channels here.

24 minutes ago, RogueGamer12 said:

I feel like the mods are going to delete this at some point. I understand what you're doing, but i'm pretty sure these posts are not allowed.

I understand and thank you for your concerns regarding posts like these. However, I posted this with the intent of bringing to light an issue that I feel is something we must all address. I shall continue to stand by my original decision to post regardless of post lockdown, removal or relegation to a more appropriate thread, if there be one. 

I also do not see why my post finds fault in the community guidelines, though feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

1 minute ago, GetNerfedOn said:

also do not see why my post finds fault in the community guidelines, though feel free to correct me if i'm wrong

Maybe defimation, but as you blurred out thier name and face, they wouldn't really have a case.

As for the video itself, I feel real disgusted by how he ezploiting our community. My theory is that he found out little niche and is exploiting everything from it like some sort of hungrey leech. The thing is that, his guide videos are informative, and that is the hook for his little ploy. His guides draws in the uninformed and plants his roots to exploit them. I use to be fairly unaknowlaging towards him, thinking he was informative but practiced scummy habits. This video now shows that he is atleast a very scummy person and at most one with greedy, predatory actions. He has lost any respect and should be avoided at all costs.

49 minutes ago, RogueGamer12 said:

I feel like the mods are going to delete this at some point. I understand what you're doing, but i'm pretty sure these posts are not allowed.

I went back to the forum guidelines to make sure this is the case.
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/guidelines/

The closest guideline this post could possibly violate is "keeping arguments and personal issues private". Considering the nefarious acts that were discussed and the implication for Don't Starve artists moving forward, I'm pretty confident that this is no longer a "personal issue", but a community-wide issue. 

Y'know, I understand that you wanted to do good. But on the other hand the author of this video plus some people he mentions have a forum account. So if he wanted this video/message to spread on forums he'd post the video himself. 

But it's cool that you want to spread the message

Totally! Let's cancel beard777, everyone must know he is evil! (and while making it extremely obvious, even including username, this video blurs his face to be all righteous, like bro, target audience for this consists of 98% people who know who beard777 is, duuh)

3 Kinds of Hell (The Devil Never Wanted Christians To ...

beards new house (totes deserves it, thief XXXXXX33)

DST YOUTUBE GANG! AYYY

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't advertise a post made to cancel someone minding their own business. Imo, this video is about as shady as worse than an art contest (w/ no real prize) in itself, like, this is a youtube channel. You can call a lot of things scams, but it annoys me how self-righteous this came off as. I don't care if beard777 is a jerk to his little community, at least he don't organize any freddo films cancellations. And for a video titled "The Biggest Problem Of The Don't Starve Together Community", it's pretty bogus to deliver a glorified drama-alert segment.

32 minutes ago, Blunderbuss said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't advertise a post made to cancel someone minding their own business.

This post isn't about deleting the culprits entire channel, but rather letting other people know, especially those that are new to DST that this fella isn't all sunshines and rainbows as he pretends to be. But i agree that this post will gather attention from forums, both good and bad, so it's up to mods/admins to what they want to do with it.

I don't care if beard777 is a jerk to his little community, at least he don't organize any freddo films cancellations.

Right now he's one of the biggest content creators in the don't starve community that spiked in popularity thanks to his guides. The fact that he now crops out art that people send him and removes all signatures or watermarks for his own purposes, doesnt credit anybody and tries to make himself look like he's the good person in all this and that he didn't do anything wrong really tells something about this man. His only goal is to milk every last bit of money he gets from each video, the sole fact that he's so popular right now should say a thing or two about what can happen to newer people if not taken notice about his abhorrent behaviors.

And for a video titled "The Biggest Problem Of The Don't Starve Together Community", it's pretty bogus to deliver a glorified drama-alert segment.

I'm pretty sure the video was titled that way to not invoke any copyright strikes from YouTubes side, aswell as have abit of lighter side to it, without just naming it "Douchebag steals art without credit ban him now plz". It can be taken in other ways from peoples perspectives and i understand that, but i don't think this video was made to summon the almighty drama, rather to show people the mindset of this person and how he uses people.

With that said i can understand where you're coming from, but this video isn't about a goal to shut down his channel or anything like that, but to give recognition and compensation to people that deserve it, aswell as to avoid any scams from him in the future. Not to mention that this fella has been exposed and caught redhanded in the past but i'm not gonna go into detail with it. Anyway those are my 2 cents on this subject.

I feel like there's a universal rule on the internet where if someone is a big enough asshat, many harassment policies stop being enforced.

I'm not complaining. It's a self-regulating system to an extent, but I digress.

I sympathize with this video because the style of it is VERY similar to the way I handle drama; Blunt, no fluff, my (or our) opinion, why this is bad, etc. And because I have the same approach to drama, I know why it leaves a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths. It sounds SUPER self-righteous.

With the faults that the video has, I don't think the video premise itself is the problem, it's the way it's presented. If you take in the message, it boils down to "Beard took advantage of artists for free art, he needs to apologize and pay up, and the artists affected should demand payment". 

It really doesn't help that Beard has a past history of doing some sucky stuff, such as stealing farm ideas without credit, infamously stretching out two minute guides to 10 minutes and waste everyone's time for ad rev, and generally playing the victim in any and all situations. I can clearly see why this video would seem over to top to someone that didn't know this prior.

Btw, here's a post in the comments and in James' community tab:
image.thumb.png.82ce0df31d1f43f9277798eec7f64cc8.png

Probably anyone who ever tried to search for any info about dst on youtube will know who the targeted youtuber here is. I'm not a fan, I don't enjoy the style of speaking that's a bit over the top in his videos but then I just move on and don't bother.

This comes off a bit like a bunch of sore youtubers that are perhaps not so well off trying to find their moment and grab a scrap of that follower community. Let's not kid ourselves here that this is noble or in good cause :) to enlighten people. Most likely if anyone got scammed, they can well stand up for themselves and report it in appropriate instances so I may be wrong but here's my takeaway from this; I'm still not gonna watch that guy since I don't enjoy his videos but I am also for sure not gonna follow anyone else who participated in the making of this 

I often watch beard's videos as sometimes It contains new information that I don't know. I also love James Bucket , those rhyming words is a pack of entertainment. I really don't know who is right or wrong as both are calming they are right , But I as a viewer Love Both Of Them  :grin:. If beard really have not paid proper credit to the art creators then it's really wrong and If james is doing all of this because of jealousy(as others saying) then that is also wrong. As a fan I don't want to see them fight or want to hear bad things about them :blue:

I really hope that everything goes back to normal once again:wilson_worried:

That video was pure cringe...  srsly hard to watch.  Its pretty obvious who they're calling out, and acting like they are somehow keeping the target of their accusations anonymous is just ... cringe...  Like a toddler trying to tattle on someone without acting like they are tattling.

That said - its far more cringe trying to pay artists through "exposure."  Art is work.  Especially if you're monetizing content featuring the art you should at least dedicate a portion of the proceeds from said video to the artist if not pay them outright.

I do think its good these people made the video because even though its kinda cringe to watch, scams need to be called out!  Many people may not realize they got scammed because they don't realize the value of their own work.  Others may feel embarrassed and hide that they were scammed protecting those who preyed on them.  Its better to produce a cringy video calling scammers out then to let it go.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

That video was pure cringe...  srsly hard to watch.  Its pretty obvious who they're calling out, and acting like they are somehow keeping the target of their accusations anonymous is just ... cringe...  Like a toddler trying to tattle on someone without acting like they are tattling.

Spoiler

ec6cfcfa07eb79faa4253a3153b97890.jpg

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

That said - its far more cringe trying to pay artists through "exposure."  Art is work.  Especially if you're monetizing content featuring the art you should at least dedicate a portion of the proceeds from said video to the artist if not pay them outright.

I do think its good these people made the video because even though its kinda cringe to watch, scams need to be called out!  Many people may not realize they got scammed because they don't realize the value of their own work.  Others may feel embarrassed and hide that they were scammed protecting those who preyed on them.  Its better to produce a cringy video calling scammers out then to let it go.

Somewhat along the lines of what @bruhmoment23 was saying, I'm pretty sure the blurred face and 'anonymous' approach to calling him out was meant to help circumvent Youtube's poorly enforced policies such as "harassment and cyberbullying". It's obvious to anyone who's a part of the community who's being called out, but it's not obvious to the Youtube algorithm.

Sorry for the semantics, but I honestly think "more cringe" doesn't accurately represent this situation; this is outright villainous. Cringe generally implies low-quality pandering; villainy implies sociopathically screwing over other people to your benefit and trying to get away with it. 

4 hours ago, sovon9 said:

I often watch beard's videos as sometimes It contains new information that I don't know. I also love James Bucket , those rhyming words is a pack of entertainment. I really don't know who is right or wrong as both are calming they are right , But I as a viewer Love Both Of Them  :grin:. If beard really have not paid proper credit to the art creators then it's really wrong and If james is doing all of this because of jealousy(as others saying) then that is also wrong. As a fan I don't want to see them fight or want to hear bad things about them :blue:

I really hope that everything goes back to normal once again:wilson_worried:

As the video stated, this doesn't just represent James Bucket's perspective; it also represents the views of 11 other DST content creators.

The people who are making the claim that "james is doing all of this because of jealousy" are pulling something called an ad hominem attack: attacking the person's character in order to debunk the argument. James could be Hitler reincarnated for all I care, and it wouldn't change the evidence and validity of the argument he presents. 

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM OF DST COMMUNITY:

• Griefers who vandalize the DST game Wiki or ruin other player's fun.
  • Jerks who introduce others how to act like a jerk and ruin other player's fun.
  • Forumers who use the forum to manipulate the thoughts of other players.
  • Beggars who ask for free art.

2 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

• Jerks who introduce others how to act like a jerk and ruin other player's fun.

I'm sorry, but this is a straw man. He didn't just "beg for free art" as the video explains; he manipulated people into giving him art for personal gain under the guise of a good-willed art showcase AND tried to cover his tracks.

The other 3 problems you crossed out are LEAGUES below this because this guy is not a "beggar"; he's a manipulator who exploits the good will of "the little guy" for his own benefit and does a pretty thorough job of hiding it. I don't even know what you're referring to when you mention manipulative forumers since the mods do a pretty good job of locking troll threads on these forums. Either way, you can spot and ban a griefer. You can spot and call-out an elitist jerk. The mods can spot and ban a forum troll. You can't necessarily spot and call-out a guy who exploits his own fans 

Oh, so the burlesque fatty bearded ginger is this Beard666 I saw mentioned here and there on forums - yes, I "live under a rock" related to most of YT and am proud of it. So on top of "stealing other people farm ideas" (Can you imagine knowing who was the first one to bait Pigmen in a firefarm? Or deliberately seeking such "knowledge"? Fascinating.) now also has "hustle naive fan artists" attached to his beard. Huh. The more you know... Fascinating :black_eyed:

One advice for any people really, not just "gullible fan artists": DON'T . TRUST . ANYONE! More so on the internet.

Also biggest problem with DST community isn't YT drama between streamers. IS . F#$KING . IN-GAME . GRIEFERS!

4 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Oh, so the burlesque fatty bearded ginger is this Beard666 I saw mentioned here and there on forums - yes, I "live under a rock" related to most of YT and am proud of it. So on top of "stealing other people farm ideas" (Can you imagine knowing who was the first one to bait Pigmen in a firefarm? Or deliberately seeking such "knowledge"? Fascinating.) now also has "hustle naive fan artists" attached to his beard. Huh. The more you know... Fascinating :black_eyed:

One advice for any people really, not just "gullible fan artists": DON'T . TRUST . ANYONE! More so on the internet.

Also biggest problem with DST community isn't YT drama between streamers. IS . F#$KING . IN-GAME . GRIEFERS!

I really hate to say this, but this sounds a lot like blaming the victim. These artists were tricked by someone they idolized; that alone doesn't make them naive or gullible. 

Regarding in-game griefers, there are solutions at your disposal. You can kick and rollback the server if you're playing on an official server; you can even rollback twice in a row if the griefer decided to grief right before morning hit. You can also play on the unofficial steam-group servers where admins exist to deal with griefers and rollback the servers for you, and you can even have the satisfaction of getting that griefer banned with a screenshot of the act and their steam profile. 

Griefers are imo far from the biggest problem within the DST community

Also, if you're putting the "stealing other people farm ideas" in quotes to represent sarcasm, that's not what he was guilty for. He was caught plagiarizing a fellow content creator's specific Varg farm design; he was not caught stealing the idea of a Varg farm. 

3 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

OMG, YES. YES, YES, A THOUSAND TIMES YES !!!!!

37 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

I really hate to say this, but this sounds a lot like blaming the victim. These artists were tricked by someone they idolized; that alone doesn't make them naive or gullible.

This "victim blaming" nonsense needs to stop. "I swam in a shark-infested water. Sharks trashed me. Sharks are at fault!" - yes, but you could've taken precautionary measures for that not to happen like... don't f.swim in shark-infested waters. Predators are predators. Am pretty sure a felon knows what is doing is outside of law and telling them so will achieve nothing. You can try shaming them into submission - by far vast majority of times shame doesn't work on a felon, they know what are doing very well and are proverbially "anointed with all the ointments". Take a page out of some random East European: don't trust anyone and assume everyone is "out to get ye". And stop being a fan, aka a "fanatic for". Be instead an educated subscriber/customer/etc. Don't give a pass to anyone based on apparent status. "Idolizing" someone/something is the fist step towards being gullible and exposing oneself to scams.

37 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

Regarding in-game griefers, there are solutions at your disposal. You can kick and rollback the server if you're playing on an official server; you can even rollback twice in a row if the griefer decided to grief right before morning hit. You can also play on the unofficial steam-group servers where admins exist to deal with griefers and rollback the servers for you, and you can even have the satisfaction of getting that griefer banned with a screenshot of the act and their steam profile. 

Griefers are imo far from the biggest problem within the DST community

Try those when you are alone on server, or with some random passer-by and 3 coordinated griefers pop in. Try that on a server where pub-ers (the casual player-base bulk variety) don't even know TAB has a function. Try that when you are on some choir far from base and come days later to find it looted, burned and hammered. Etc. Etc Etc. (I forget most of you forumites play alone, there was a poll some time ago and vast majority of people posting here admitted playing always-alone... yeah, expecting multiplayer perspectives from people playing alone...) I came on these forums 3 years ago because of at-that-time Clouds and co problem, recurrent problem, on pubs, KLei official ones. 3 years later and nothing changed. But oh my, the poor artists that voluntarily chose to give "a lad from the internet" (because that's exactly it) specific-size social-media advertisement art (no dead-give-away at all there, ennit) and realized afterwards the lad used said art with impunity and gave them the metaphorical middle-finger-of-peace as "payment". These artists should learn there's also an art to monetize oneself and don't expect people will give you some form of recognition, monetary or status-related, just because "there's good will and fluffiness in the world". Truth of matter, world at large is exactly the opposite.

Archived