On The Biggest Problem Of The DST Community

1 minute ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Try those when you are alone on server, or with some random passer-by and 3 coordinated griefers pop in. Try that on a server where pubs don't even know TAB has a function. Try that when you are on some choir far from base and come days later to find it looted, burned and hammered. Etc. Etc Etc.

I'm sorry but what exactly do you expect Klei/community to do about griefers? Do you want Klei to code some sort of super-advanced algorithm that has access to player's thoughts so that it'll auto-ban anyone with bad intentions? Do you want dst youtubers to post videos shaming griefers? Or maybe you want the entire dst community to storm Valve and demand those griefers to be banned from all of steam?

Klei has given the community tools needed to combat griefers and the commmunity itself is doing all our hive-mind can to ban puppet-accounts of griefers. 

Saying 'griefers are worse' is not a valid argument in this discussion since there's not much more we can do about them. That's like saying 'those shark-infested waters are worse than the fact we don't have any food' while there's no dry land in sight. You were given a boat and a spear to defend yourself. Learn how to live with this problem and deal with the one that can be dealt with.

At least I think so… since y'know it was a while since my last visit on a pub server.

I posted my artwork to discord and nowhere did I see my drawing! I was kinda pissed about it, but oh well, anyways, I don’t know how to fell about this....I mean, I’ve watched the content creator for so long and their guides are helpful, but then again, he’s done many bad things, not to mention the Varg farm idea stealing drama! And now receiving artwork for free? I’m shocked. I adore them and James Bucket a lot, but I don’t know who to side with....

21 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

I'm sorry but what exactly do you expect Klei/community to do about griefers? Do you want Klei to code some sort of super-advanced algorithm that has access to player's thoughts so that it'll auto-ban anyone with bad intentions? Do you want dst youtubers to post videos shaming griefers? Or maybe you want the entire dst community to storm Valve and demand those griefers to be banned from all of steam?

Klei has given the community tools needed to combat griefers and the commmunity itself is doing all our hive-mind can to ban puppet-accounts of griefers. 

Saying 'griefers are worse' is not a valid argument in this discussion since there's not much more we can do about them. That's like saying 'those shark-infested waters are worse than the fact we don't have any food' while there's no dry land in sight. You were given a boat and a spear to defend yourself. Learn how to live with this problem and deal with the one that can be dealt with.

At least I think so… since y'know it was a while since my last visit on a pub server.

I have posted about DST griefer solutions in past: from KLei's end make it impossible for people to burn structures, more so if aren't made by them (really, you saw any situation where "I need to burn this alchemy engine" was a valid strat for something except newbies and trolls?), or hammer structures (except if player that made them logs out of the server for a certain amount of time), make a screen-in-diameter around Spawn Gate where is impossible to spawn tentacles, place walls, Fossils. And that's just from-the-top of my head - one pleb from the web. In-game griefing is a problem that affects all community in one form or another. Some random "lad from the internet" demanding social-media art and not paying/crediting/whatever some naive artists is a very localized problem, regarding social-media stuff. How many scammed artists has the DST player-base to call it "The Biggest Problem Of The DST Community"?! Let's be serious here. Also will not point to the fact BeardFellow and the other content-creators calling him out are in direct competition for views, ad revenue & co to give a particular nuance to all this. Sure, Beard66 bad, pftiu-pftiu! but "biggest DST community problem"? Yeah, sure..

1 minute ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

or hammer structures

Hammering structures is something that should be done sometimes, whether it be for base relocation or hammering your science machine when you already have an alchemy engine to save space.

Just now, Blue Moth said:

Hammering structures is something that should be done sometimes, whether it be for base relocation or hammering your science machine when you already have an alchemy engine to save space.

Your structures? Sure. Your build, your will.

Hammering other people structures? If is co-op and you all make the base, you can ask them (person who build) to hammer it so you can place more advanced one(s). If not you can... make your own base somewhere else. And if they log-out for X-amount-of-in-game-days in Survival mode, structure becomes hammer-able. There's a whole lot of points to cover, but KLei isn't even taking the basics: make Spawn Gate area griefer-proof. And is not something so hard that requires "tons" of coding and whatnot - an acquaintance made on his server such script, saying was "ez-pz". But KLei? Crickets. This is a game-focused issue that should've been integrated years ago. Yet, looking at the official DST video and the Willow burning a base perhaps I should see the "foolie" of my expectations and admit: yes, griefing is ok, and our next biggest-problem is "random guy from web scamming his fans" in a totally not-DST actual-in-game issue. Silly me! :beaten:

21 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I have posted about DST griefer solutions in past: from KLei's end make it impossible for people to burn structures, more so if aren't made by them (really, you saw any situation where "I need to burn this alchemy engine" was a valid strat for something except newbies and trolls?), or hammer structures (except if player that made them logs out of the server for a certain amount of time), make a screen-in-diameter around Spawn Gate where is impossible to spawn tentacles, place walls, Fossils. And that's just from-the-top of my head - one pleb from the web. In-game griefing is a problem that affects all community in one form or another. Some random "lad from the internet" demanding social-media art and not paying/crediting/whatever some naive artists is a very localized problem, regarding social-media stuff. How many scammed artists has the DST player-base to call it "The Biggest Problem Of The DST Community"?! Let's be serious here. Also will not point to the fact BeardFellow and the other content-creators calling him out are in direct competition for views, ad revenue & co to give a particular nuance to all this. Sure, Beard66 bad, pftiu-pftiu! but "biggest DST community problem"? Yeah, sure..

i think is just bullying because he gets money more easily (c&p wiki) that the creators that works on it

envy turns the things we think

42 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

This "victim blaming" nonsense needs to stop. "I swam in a shark-infested water. Sharks trashed me. Sharks are at fault!" - yes, but you could've taken precautionary measures for that not to happen like... don't f.swim in shark-infested waters. Predators are predators. Am pretty sure a felon knows what is doing is outside of law and telling them so will achieve nothing. You can try shaming them into submission - by far vast majority of times shame doesn't work on a felon, they know what are doing very well and are proverbially "anointed with all the ointments". Take a page out of some random East European: don't trust anyone and assume everyone is "out to get ye". And stop being a fan, aka a "fanatic for". Be instead an educated subscriber/customer/etc. Don't give a pass to anyone based on apparent status. "Idolizing" someone/something is the fist step towards being gullible and exposing oneself to scams.

Try those when you are alone on server, or with some random passer-by and 3 coordinated griefers pop in. Try that on a server where pub-ers (the casual player-base bulk variety) don't even know TAB has a function. Try that when you are on some choir far from base and come days later to find it looted, burned and hammered. Etc. Etc Etc. (I forget most of you forumites play alone, there was a poll some time ago and vast majority of people posting here admitted playing always-alone... yeah, expecting multiplayer perspectives from people playing alone...) I came on these forums 3 years ago because of at-that-time Clouds and co problem, recurrent problem, on pubs, KLei official ones. 3 years later and nothing changed. But oh my, the poor artists that voluntarily chose to give "a lad from the internet" (because that's exactly it) specific-size social-media advertisement art (no dead-give-away at all there, ennit) and realized afterwards the lad used said art with impunity and gave them the metaphorical middle-finger-of-peace as "payment". These artists should learn there's also an art to monetize oneself and don't expect people will give you some form of recognition, monetary or status-related, just because "there's good will and fluffiness in the world". Truth of matter, world at large is exactly the opposite.

You were blaming the victim by calling them naive and gullible, not for giving them advice to trust no one. This analogy is a false equivalency that completely left out the context that made this situation a case of victim-blaming. A more accurate analogy would be: "A murderer dressed as a lifeguard tricked me into swimming in shark-infested water. Sharks trashed me. The murderer is at fault". There is plenty of nuance to be had in many other situations just because of the variety in context; this situation, unfortunately, isn't nuanced whatsoever. A sentient sociopathic scammer scammed people for their art AND would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for the 12 meddling kids and their stupid art victims/Discord lurkers who gathered the evidence.

I've tried just that ironically; caught a group of 4 griefers, 3 of them coordinated and on each others' friends list, a while ago. If your base is looted and hammered, roll back or ping an admin on Discord to roll back to however many days you want. I don't understand where this passive-aggressive rant on forumgoers is coming from, and if you're directing this at me, I personally NEVER play solo. I have solo worlds that I occasionally use only to experiment and play around with stuff like Sisturns and boats while in God Mode, but I never actually play the game alone. Even if I actually was a solo player though, you do realize that this is an ad hominem attack, right? Who I am is irrelevant to the point I'm making.

I'm sorry you have such a pessimistic view of the world, but that doesn't change the fact that the artists were duped. They voluntarily chose to to give their art for an artist showcase; they INVOLUNTARILY gave their art to a scammer to be used for personal gain. It's always important to be skeptical, but you're arguing for straight-up denial of any good-faith people whatsoever; while that's your personal choice, it's something I don't agree with and would not recommend to the victims of this situation. 

1 hour ago, MagicalSkies said:

I posted my artwork to discord and nowhere did I see my drawing! I was kinda pissed about it, but oh well, anyways, I don’t know how to fell about this....I mean, I’ve watched the content creator for so long and their guides are helpful, but then again, he’s done many bad things, not to mention the Varg farm idea stealing drama! And now receiving artwork for free? I’m shocked. I adore them and James Bucket a lot, but I don’t know who to side with....

you dont have to pick sides. drama is drama, just grab some popcorn and laugh at both sides

After some careful consideration, I am locking this as I see the post as a personal attack against another member of the community. Whether you consider it justified or not I think the language used in this video is inflammatory and intentionally hurtful to another person and I have decided not to allow it on the forum. 

Archived