[Poll] On Singleplayer Characters Being Added To DST

UPPER TEXT  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Would you wish for singleplayer characters to be added to DST?

2. 2. If yes, why so?

• They are my favorite character.
    • They would be a nice addition to the multiplayer environment.
    • They would complement the lore greatly.
    • They're just really cool and adding them would draw the playerbase's attention and adulation.
    • Adding them would draw in new players to both DS Alone and DST.
    • Adding them would bring nice new changes to their playstyle fitting DST's environment.
    • Other (do list in the comments!)
    • I answered no!
    • I answered Undecided!
  3. 3. If yes, who among them?

4. 4. If no, why so?

• They've monolithic playstyles suiting Singleplayer more than DST.
    • Their perks are too overpowered and require extensive retooling for multiplayer play.
    • Their perks are too underpowered and require extensive retooling to be viable for multiplayer play.
    • Adding them would severely weaken DS alone's playerbase and kill sales.
    • Adding them might cause a Woodie Rework Effect.
    • They have little to contribute to the lore.
    • Adding them would draw attention away from existing characters.
    • They cost too much time and resources which could be better spent on other pursuits.
    • Other (Do explain in the comments!)
    • I answered yes!
    • I answered undecided!

With all these queries and suggestions flying out and about regarding SP characters being added to DST, I thought it would be timely to gauge the community's responses to these issues.

Do you wish SP characters added to DST? Or not? Why?

As always, answer freely and of your own will, and do list the answers in the comments.

1- My answer is never going to change, Regardless of how much they suck or don’t suck.. Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff are ALL Klei Official Don’t Starve Characters and they ALL deserve to be in the game, both for Lore Purposes & for people who they may happen to be their favorite to play as.

2- If your Worried that adding them to DST will kill the sales figures of DS then your Worrying for all the Wrong Reasons.. Wormwood was added to the game and he was given away FREE to everyone who had already purchased Hamlet.. But Warly was also added and was FREE rather you did or did not own Shipwrecked. So there’s two ways they can go about doing that, Add them to the game and make them paid dlcs but Free if you own the DLC they’re from, or simply make them all Free.

Eitherway it’s pretty safe to say Single Player DS is no longer what drives the most sales anyway, it’s new Skins and Belongings cosmetics for DST that makes those sales, items that do not and will not ever exist in Solo DS. Which brings me to..

3- Character & Belonging Customization would Then be extended to include Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff, this driving further sales from players who actually WANT to play as those Characters.

Finally...

4- the only downsides I see to them are some characters are arguably Overpowered.. like Wheeler & Woodlegs, and some characters are Arguably much Weaker like Walani. So a few Multiplayer Balance changes would have to be taken into heavy consideration.

5- As far as characters taking away from development time and resources better spent elsewhere.. I’m not too worried about that Because Playable Characters are what you spend the majority of your time playing with anyway.

The TL:DR- Yes they need to be in the game both for Lore and for those who would enjoy playing as that character.

Of course I chose Walani, but I'd also love to see Wilbur and possibly Wilba in DST.

Now that I think of it, that could probably become DLC packs.

"Shipwrecked Character Pack" including Walani and Wilbur
"Hamlet Character Pack" including Wilba and Wheeler

These packs could possibly be obtained by owning the respective Singleplayer DLC, so there's still a reason to get SP. Alternatively, you could weave them for a REALLY high price, considering its a bundle of 2 characters (and probably skins)

I left out Woodlegs because his whole thing is that he is the "reward" for getting his 3 keys, requiring you to slay a boss and to explore a lot. I also left out Wagstaff because he's important to lore. Those two can remain singleplayer-exclusive. Also no, this doesn't take away from the reasons to play Singleplayer, as DST doesn't have and will never have SW and Hamlet content.

Whenever I imagine the "final state" of DST in the far off future, I imagine these four characters with it, alongside new characters entirely. 

I'd like all six of the singleplayer-exclusive characters to come to DST, especially now that there's ocean content for Walani and Woodlegs to use their original perks with. They'd get more appreciation, they'd add more variety, we could learn more about their lore. I think being in DST is a major reason why there's so much more fanart of Wormwood than Wilba, who was added earlier. (Although it's also easier to play as Wormwood in DSAlone because you don't have to do anything special to unlock him.) I like some of them better than others in terms of playstyle or personality but I think they all deserve to be in DST.

Saying it would negatively affect the sales of SW and Hamlet if their unique characters were available in DST seems equivalent to saying those DLCs have nothing to offer except the characters, which I don't agree with at all. People will still buy SW and Hamlet so they can experience SW's tropical ocean and Hamlet's jungle treasure-hunting and urban city-building content, just maybe not purely because Wheeler or Walani is their favourite character and they want to play as her in RoG. (That argument doesn't even apply to Wagstaff, because even though he was added during the Hamlet development cycle he isn't Hamlet-exclusive.)

50 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

I'd like all six of the singleplayer-exclusive characters to come to DST, especially now that there's ocean content for Walani and Woodlegs to use their original perks with. They'd get more appreciation, they'd add more variety, we could learn more about their lore. I think being in DST is a major reason why there's so much more fanart of Wormwood than Wilba, who was added earlier. (Although it's also easier to play as Wormwood in DSAlone because you don't have to do anything special to unlock him.) I like some of them better than others in terms of playstyle or personality but I think they all deserve to be in DST.

Saying it would negatively affect the sales of SW and Hamlet if their unique characters were available in DST seems equivalent to saying those DLCs have nothing to offer except the characters, which I don't agree with at all. People will still buy SW and Hamlet so they can experience SW's tropical ocean and Hamlet's jungle treasure-hunting and urban city-building content, just maybe not purely because Wheeler or Walani is their favourite character and they want to play as her in RoG. (That argument doesn't even apply to Wagstaff, because even though he was added during the Hamlet development cycle he isn't Hamlet-exclusive.)

You guys ever played a game where they provide small teasers for a different game or DLC? A small Shipwrecked or Hamlet Themed Island might would actually encourage more people to buy those single player dlcs.

But then again.. I would rather play Together with a friend or two instead of being limited to playing completely alone in Single Player.

Hell I OWN Shipwrecked and Solo DS (Hamlet isn’t on Consoles so I don’t own that yet..) but not only do I own them both on Console, I have them both on Mobile as well.. and yet I would still rather have the expansions become Multiplayer Compatible instead of being Single Player exclusive.

And If Klei is worried about separating the fanbase between who has and who does not have the DLC then simply allow anyone rather they own the expansion or not to join someone else’s world as long the HOST owns the DLC.

Consider it as an Incentive to get people to WANT to buy the Expansions.

50 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Erased from existence, any evidence pointing to otherwise has now since been eradicated. It’s as if Aliens showed up and Dematerialized him right there on the spot. 

He isn't totally erased. You can use the console to access him.

52 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I know I was just teasing but from Today Thursday February 27th until Monday March 2nd is PaX East.. Anyone know if Klei is at the show?

Nope. Isn't anywhere on the booth list (Indie Megabooth included) nor scheduling.

The only way I'd be fine with characters from DS is if they don't count as the last couple of promised new characters. I'm fine that Warly was added because Klei said that he didn't count as one of the promised new characters or something, right? It just counted as a rework or something.

But other than that, I only want brand new characters. I really don't care to see a character copy and pasted from a previous game.

6 minutes ago, reverentsatyr said:

The only way I'd be fine with characters from DS is if they don't count as the last couple of promised new characters. I'm fine that Warly was added because Klei said that he didn't count as one of the promised new characters or something, right? It just counted as a rework or something.

But other than that, I only want brand new characters. I really don't care to see a character copy and pasted from a previous game.

They promised 4, we have 3 out of those 4. There’s still one brand new one coming.

Preferably I'd like brand new characters exclusive to DST, so far all the DLC characters have been pretty fun and unique, and I'd love to see more. There are only so many things a human character can be based around, while constant born creatures (Wormwood, Wortox?, Wurt) can offer so much more in terms of gameplay possibilities.

If we were to get another human(ish?) character, I'd like Waverly, seeing as how a witch could lean more towards magic in this wonderful world of science and magic.

another small thing is her name is quite unique in pronunciation, (Way-vur-lee) as apposed to Wilbur (Will-brr) and Wilba (Will-bah) sharing the "Will"

I honestly didn't think Walani would be voted by more than 1 person when her only noticeable upside is a special surfboard which uses non-existent singleplayer boat mechanics that don't even exist in DST yet. It's highly unlikely that Klei would bring those mechanics to DST just for the single character before adding singleplayer boats in general first.

Also, making a brand new character is a longer process and there's a risk that it won't be very likeable or successful (like Wurt turned out). If there are decent characters already, why not port them? The code is written and the art is drawn. Anything new will get old in few weeks after release and there'll be barely any difference between "brand new DST-exclusive" and "ported from single-player DLCs" characters.

Just now, shadowDigga said:

I honestly didn't think Walani would be voted by more than 1 person when her only noticeable upside is a special surfboard which uses non-existent singleplayer boat mechanics that don't even exist in DST yet. It's highly unlikely that Klei would bring those mechanics to DST just for the single character before adding singleplayer boats in general first.

Also, making a brand new character is a longer process and there's a risk that it won't be very likeable or successful (like Wurt turned out). If there are decent characters already, why not port them? The code is written and the art is drawn. Anything new will get old in few weeks after release and there'll be barely any difference between "brand new DST-exclusive" and "ported from single-player DLCs" characters.

A few things wrong with this on both sides

* Walani doesn't require Klei to port SW boating mechanics. The code would probably work like her being able to "walk" on water or something similar, like the Weregoose but able to interact with stuff.

* Wurt turned out fine?

* SP (Singleplayer) and DST have different coding formats, it's not as simple as copy-pasting code. You have to rewrite everything. Also, Klei will most likely spend time on skins too, since it'd be odd to have a character suddenly without them.

I'd rather have Klei focus on new stuff and not work on making ds even less worth buying.

Especially since as of now pushing a single update into dst takes them about a month plus 3 months are ''wasted" for seasonal events. 

This means that we'd get about 8-9 permanent updates for the game this year. And I'd really prefer them to be a continuation of RoT. Not something that will make a whooping 30 people excited

Walani, Woodlegs & Wilbur would be grand since we're getting sea content + getting new playstyles for them would be awesome! Warly's rework was awesome imo.
Wagstaff would be interesting Lorewise, but maybe this mysterious 'outofworlprojected' tag prevents him from crossing the Portal? (Im really curious)
Hamlet Characters, well the last 2 (+1 Warbucks), I think should stay out of DST for a while since Hamlet is still pretty new (nor do I think they'd fit DST atm). But yeah, I'd love to see skins for these characters too, idk why but DST always wins me due to how creative Skins are

I'm overall undecided. I wouldn't mind all characters being added at the end of DSTs life cycle as a "screw it, go wild" kind of thing, but I don't know about right now. I don't want to see Klei FORCE characters into the game as it is now. It would suck if a character was shoehorned in and didn't live up to expectations because those who wanted the character would be unhappy and want a rework and those who didn't want the character would be unhappy at the time and resources expended to introduce an underwhelming character.

I'm not saying there aren't DS characters who would work well in DST, Warly seems like a pretty successful addition (haven't used him yet so I don't really know). I'm also not a Dev, I'm sure they know what they are doing and I have faith in their decisions.

Archived