Banhi's Automation Innovation Pack in testing now! - 395113

• Developer

Hello friends!

As those of you who watched the stream will know, we're putting a new free content pack, Banhi's Automation Innovation Pack, into testing today! This includes several new sensors and automation buildings, as well as improvements and bugfixes to many of the existing automation buildings. These new tools will let you increase the effectiveness of your automated contraptions, improve your control and awareness of colony operations, and maybe even let you express your creative side.

(The basic signal switch and power switch can now be directly controlled by the player!)

To help you get started on this computer-controlled journey, we've introduced Sweepy, a sweet robot caretaker to help you keep your floors tidy and dry! Not the brightest little bot, but it'll get the job done.

And of course we're continuing to hack away at bugs and work on performance. In case you missed it, we posted a new Roadmap last week that explains what's been happening and what will be happening with ONI over the next little while, please check it out.

Thank you as ever for your feedback and bug reports, we appreciate them so much!

What does this testing branch contain so far?

Here are the changes we've made so far in this Pack, loosely categorized:

Spoiler

New and Notable Features

• New Automation Sensors
    • Counter Sensor
    • Timer Sensor
    • Wattage Sensor
  • New Automation Ribbon allows sending up to 4 signals along a single tile
    • Ribbon Writer and Ribbon Reader convert single-signal wire to ribbon
    • Mixing single wires and ribbons causes a signal overload
  • Signal Selector and Signal Distributor for automation routing
  • New Automation output buildings
    • Pixel Pack
    • Hammer
    • Notifier
  • New Sweepy Bot and Sweepy Dock
  • Liquid Vent, Gas Vent, High Pressure Gas Vent, and Conveyor Chute can now be closed, both manually and by automation
  • Gas Reservoir and Liquid Reservoir have smart storage functionality
  • Added an information screen when loading old saves to warn about changes to buildings
  • Added a Solid Filter building for Conveyor Rails
  • Signal Switch and Power Switch no longer require Duplicant interaction
  • Updated Sticker artwork

Improvements and Fixes

Buildings

• Gas Shutoff behavior is now consistent with Liquid Shutoff
  • Drywall now renders in front of wires/pipes
  • Placing a "replacement" building over a deconstruct will clear the deconstruct
  • Thermo Sensor now behaves properly when input temperature is equal to the threshold

Duplicants

• Fix a crash when duplicants try to eat an invalid amount of food
  • Duplicants will no longer forget their progress when tuning a power generator, and will be more resilient to changes in the room

Critters

• Fix a crash when Pinchers find an egg to protect

UI

• Fix Printing Pod now showing one of the victory conditions
  • Heavi-Watt Wire tooltip is now measured in kW

Audio

• Add a cooldown to some building noises to fix noisy bases
  • Automation sounds recover to full volume more quickly

Strings

• Automation inputs/outputs now show the proper localized strings
  • Updated Chinese, Korean, and Russian translations

Frontend and Backend

• Updated the link to the newsletter to use the new Klei Account system
  • Only test for writeable save paths on Windows

Performance

• Auto Sweeper caches target positions

Modding

• Fix hard crash when new elements are added to the game

Check the patch notes for the most up-to-date changes!

What is open testing?

"Open testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the game, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.

Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the open testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Default branch until the game launches in full. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an open tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the open testing build?

You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "automation_pack_testing"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

That's it! We hope you'll enjoy this taste of what's to come, and thank-you for your help testing out the new Upgrade!

View full update

• Like 27
  • Thanks 7

Oh my, I'm going to have to rework a lot of set ups now as I've run automation signals over vents in a great deal of builds.

Add that in most or at least many cases shut off valves are now redundant.

Incidentally, a counter set to 2 replaces a toggle switch. 

Not sure what use a wattage sensor that measures power consumption is useful for except maybe for detecting no power consumption. A much more useful wattage sensor would be one that measures power generation.

Edited by Saturnus

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Still no solid sensors!!!

Do you mean on conveyors or debris?  Because I would love conveyor sensors.

2 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Gas Shutoff behavior is now consistent with Liquid Shutoff

Out of curiosity, how did they act inconsistently before? 

47 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Not sure what use a wattage sensor that measures power consumption is useful for except maybe for detecting no power consumption. A much more useful wattage sensor would be one that measures power generation.

I can see another purpose.  If the power consumption is below a certain point, you could turn on some optional machines.  You could use this with a memory toggle to turn them off if the circuit started overloading.  Or, looking at it from the other side, you could turn off machines if the circuit is overloading.

You could also use this to detect if a machine is on or off and do things accordingly.  For example, I could imagine a circuit that could overload if I run the oil refinery and the associated gas pump at the same time, so I put in a device that detects if it running both would cause an overload.

Edited by Zarquan
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Do you mean on conveyors or debris?  Because I would love conveyor sensors.

Conveyor sensors

18 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

I can see another purpose.  If the power consumption is below a certain point, you could turn on some optional machines.  You could use this with a memory toggle to turn them off if the circuit started overloading.  Or, looking at it from the other side, you could turn off machines if the circuit is overloading.

You could also use this to detect if a machine is on or off and do things accordingly.  For example, I could imagine a circuit that could overload if I run the oil refinery and the associated gas pump at the same time, so I put in a device that detects if it running both would cause an overload.

You can do all of that without a wattage sensor so it's of no use in these instances either.

No, a wattage sensor should detect power generation. That would be useful.

Edited by Saturnus

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

You can do all of that without a wattage sensor so it's of no use in these instances either.

If this is the case, I challenge you to create an automation system that will only allow an oil refinery and pump to run simultaneously if it will not overload the circuit it is currently on.  If the other machines happen to be off, the pump and oil refinery are allowed to run simultaneously.  All other components on the circuit are generic (meaning they could be anything) and are considered to have priority over the pump, and are not necessarily controlled by automation.  This device should change about as quickly as any other sensor if the pump should be deactivated.  Keep in mind that this oil refinery is an example, so you should not rely on the fact that there is a dupe standing at the refinery when it is running.

Additionally, I challenge you to make a device that detects whether a generic machine is currently running.  This should work with any building, including an air tunnel, a juke box, a liquid pump, or an autodigger, without any modification to the setup (except changing values on existing automation components.).  It should output "true" if the building is currently running and "false" if it is not, and be able to produce these outputs without any significant delay.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

No, a wattage sensor should detect power generation. That would be useful.

I agree this would be nice to have, but is it necessary?  If the power generation isn't high enough, a smart battery should be able to tell us that and perform actions accordingly, including cause brownouts on non-vital systems and use the new notifier to tell us.

Edited by Zarquan
deleted first sentence.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

If this is the case, I challenge you to create an automation system that will only allow an oil refinery and pump to run simultaneously if it will not overload the circuit it is currently on... >snip<

Create artificial conditions all you want it doesn't change facts.

I've demonstrated builds before that only allow a pump to run if another building is off. It's really that simple.

For the second part you just have to ask yourself: "what condition could I actively turn on the building", or passively read if the building is on. It's really not hard.

12 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

I agree this would be nice to have, but is it necessary?  If the power generation isn't high enough, a smart battery should be able to tell us that and perform actions accordingly, including cause brownouts on non-vital systems and use the new notifier to tell us.

The main purpose here is to check the power generation of variable power sources like solar panels and steam turbines.

Under or over a certain power generation threshold you may want to switch what grid the power generator is on.

10 minutes ago, 535596_1452787942 said:

Is the display part of the new signal counter broken for you guys too ? The 7 segment part is not showing anything. For the rest, it's properly sending a signal when the max value is reached.

Flip it. You've reversed input and output

Actually you haven't. At any rate I also had an issue until I flipped one of the displays. Apparently, you have to rotate it at least once to make it work.

Edited by Saturnus

58 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Create artificial conditions all you want it doesn't change facts.

There is a difference between artificial and precise.  This situation is not artificial.

58 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I've demonstrated builds before that only allow a pump to run if another building is off. It's really that simple.

But this isn't what I want.  I want a system where, if there is excess capacity on a wire, the power used is unbounded, but if there isn't enough capacity, it is capped with internal priorities.  I can so the internal priorities easily, but I can't do the unbounded part without keeping track of every machine on the circuit.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

The main purpose here is to check the power generation of variable power sources like solar panels and steam turbines.

Under or over a certain power generation threshold you may want to switch what grid the power generator is on

Couldn't this be done with transformers and a wattage sensor along with a smart battery?  You run the turbine and panels through the transformers and use the wattage sensor to measure the power usage.  If you overproduce, this can be detected with a smart battery.

• Like 2