Deerclops is a she?

8 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Please don’t oversimplify

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basidiomycota

Spores = asexual reproduction

Gametes = sexual reproduction

The counterpart of sexual reproduction of Basidiomycota is somatogamy.

8 hours ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

If deerclops is a she then what would a male deerclops even look like

Deerclops is female but has antlers.

Moose/Goose is female but has antlers.

Antlion is female but has mane.

It look like Klei promotes transvestism.

7 hours ago, Misuto said:

The devs may have changed their minds at one point and revised history, but the game was made in English and deerclops is the "king" of winter. By English definition that is the "male" ruler. So originally deerclops was a male. 

Actually, contrary to the popular belief the word King is not exclusive to the male ruler, we were made to believe that a female ruler is a Queen, but in actuality it's just an oversimplification. 
Year 1384 - Jadwiga, daughter of Luis the great was crowned the King of Poland while her sister Mary has been crowned the King of Hungary. Jadwiga then proceeded to be the sole ruler for 2 years, until she married the King of Lithuania (this time a male) with whom she formed a diarchy - the rule of two kings. So even though currently she is often being referred to as a queen, at the time she was very much a female king.

TL:DR - The King is a title describing position not a gender, it's one of my favorite pieces of trivia so I just had to leave it here ^^'

Well...I don't really have a horse in this particular race, but I _do_ remember reading somewhere that all reindeer have some form of antlers, but in the winter the males drop theirs.  ONLY the males.

..._meaning_, that from how they're drawn, ALL of Santa's reindeer would be female.  IF you wanna use real-life science on a folktale, which is up to you.  (Yes, including Rudolph.  Well, for some of the names it already works--a "Vixen" is a female fox, after all.)

...buuuuut...is _Deerclops_ a reindeer?  Maybe?  I have no idea how to tell on a mutated one-eyed bipedal version. : P  Deep voice?  Well, if you mean the sounds Deerclops makes before it spawns, I always took that as super-heavy breathing.  (Which makes it _even creepier_.  It's like something really huge is LOOMING RIGHT BEHIND YOU)...but the sounds it makes while attacking you are also really deep.

There are indeed lionesses with manes, and lions without.  I don't know how rare this is, but it's a thing.  Maybe Wigfrid referring to the Antlion as "the mighty lioness!" might have some traction, but then again we are talking about Wigfrid.  Also, Wendy describes a shaved beefalo as "she's lost enough already..."

There are also fish and a few lizards that can impregnate themselves.  Bear in mind, beefalo and tallbirds CAN reproduce from just one. The Spider Queen can make babies as soon as she exists and Mama Goose might have antlers because they're also both/able to switch.  And then there's the whole thing with parthenogenesis...

Clearly the answer is:  Most creatures in Don't Starve are probably hermaphrodites/able to change gender at different times. I mean, they're already hybrids, including sometimes crossed with a _plant_.  The Constant is under NO obligations to make sense by our standards!  :)

...Notorious

Funny thing people look at a giant horror/monstrosity and ask themselves what is between its legs. Yes, an IT. Is better to be an IT for its "quintessentialization" of the Terrible Unknown, a nameless abomination who's sole purpose is to bring calamity to your world. An amalgamation repugnant to the eye and soul - don't forget the Lovecraftian and Burtonesque aspect of the game.

Aside that and the "pushing dumb gender stereotypes" amusing "progressive ideology" shenanigans, another problem arises lately with DST: retconning. And "at heart" I believe this is what tickles a certain forum contingent's sensibilities, many expressed here and there when new pieces of lore and whatnot are brought forth.

5 hours ago, RancorSnp said:

Actually, contrary to the popular belief the word King is not exclusive to the male ruler, we were made to believe that a female ruler is a Queen, but in actuality it's just an oversimplification. 
Year 1384 - Jadwiga, daughter of Luis the great was crowned the King of Poland while her sister Mary has been crowned the King of Hungary. Jadwiga then proceeded to be the sole ruler for 2 years, until she married the King of Lithuania (this time a male) with whom she formed a diarchy - the rule of two kings. So even though currently she is often being referred to as a queen, at the time she was very much a female king.

TL:DR - The King is a title describing position not a gender, it's one of my favorite pieces of trivia so I just had to leave it here ^^'

While that may be true in the Polish language, by definition it is incorrect in English. 

She was crowned Queen Regnant which is the female equivalent of the purely masculine term king. She’s recognized as the first female monarch of Poland, monarch being the gender neutral title of the position, with King being the masculine leader of a monarchy and Queen Regnant being the equivalently powerful position held by a female and different from just queen. 

2 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Maxwell created him, and says hes a guy, so hes a guy.

I dont know why Klei all of a sudden feels a need to change this.

I know Maxwell references deerclops as "that guy", but could you point out where it was stated that Maxwell created deerclops?

14 hours ago, Misuto said:

The devs may have changed their minds at one point and revised history, but the game was made in English and deerclops is the "king" of winter. By English definition that is the "male" ruler. So originally deerclops was a male. 

Could you point out where Klei directly referenced deerclops as the "king of winter"?

19 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

I know Maxwell references deerclops as "that guy", but could you point out where it was stated that Maxwell created deerclops?

Could you point out where Klei directly referenced deerclops as the "king of winter"?

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/The_Constant?comments_page=1&mobile-app=false

Maxwell states that the constant was just dust and void when he took the throne in his post adventure mode speech. He also states that he created all this after and has no idea how much time has passed.

As for king of winter, that is the title of the chapter and Maxwell threatens you with “I will enjoy inspecting your entrails when the deerclops is done with you.” So the chapter is called king of winter and the intent is that the player meets (and dies) to the deerclops. 

20 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

...but... Deerclops is an animal. Not only are you pushing dumb gender stereotypes (deep voice doesn't automatically mean male), but you're pushing them on an animal. That's just silly, especially when the game itself now has mention of Deerclops being female, rather than just characters/devs saying it. I'll never understand why these kind of threads always go farther than "these are the pronouns that are being consistently used now, the end."

...but... Characters aren't people. Not only are you pushing your morals (character being a kid doesn't mean they are a real kid), but you're pushing them on fiction. That's just silly, especially when the game itself is a game, rather than real life. I'll never understand why these kinds of people always go farther than "I don't like those characters"

not even my phrase lol.

14 minutes ago, Misuto said:

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/The_Constant?comments_page=1&mobile-app=false

Maxwell states that the constant was just dust and void when he took the throne in his post adventure mode speech. He also states that he created all this after and has no idea how much time has passed.

As for king of winter, that is the title of the chapter and Maxwell threatens you with “I will enjoy inspecting your entrails when the deerclops is done with you.” So the chapter is called king of winter and the intent is that the player meets (and dies) to the deerclops. 

I'm pretty sure this was discussed in another thread, but we know for sure that the entire Constant was not literally "dust and void" when he took the throne because Merms existed prior to Maxwell's arrival. On top of that, the final hidden video that caps off the William Carter puzzles shows land and clear signs of life right after Maxwell and Charlie were pulled in.

"Creating all this" is very clearly a hyperbole in this context. The fact that he didn't literally create everything aside, you wouldn't assume a group of people literally made squirrels or pigeons when they say that they "created a city", even though squirrels and pigeons are part of that city for example. 

I don't think the "King of Winter" being the title of the stage is in itself evidence that the deerclops is the "King of Winter". If anything, the King could be referencing Wilson (i.e. if you beat this stage where winter is eternal, then you are the King of Winter). 

15 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

Wow guys. Look at the fit everyone’s throwing over the gender of a fictional animal. Seriously, this is where you’re gonna put your foot down? Here? Of course there’s multiple deerclops, why do you think they come back after you kill them? 

Why is an honest conversation about an arbitrary topic like the deerclops' gender a "fit everyone's throwing"? To me, this is no different from a lore thread.

7 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

I'm pretty sure this was discussed in another thread, but we know for sure that the entire Constant was not literally "dust and void" when he took the throne because Merms existed prior to Maxwell's arrival. On top of that, the final hidden video that caps off the William Carter puzzles shows land and clear signs of life right after Maxwell and Charlie were pulled in.

"Creating all this" is very clearly a hyperbole in this context. The fact that he didn't literally create everything aside, you wouldn't assume a group of people literally made squirrels or pigeons when they say that they "created a city", even though squirrels and pigeons are part of that city for example. 

I don't think the "King of Winter" being the title of the stage is in itself evidence that the deerclops is the "King of Winter". If anything, the King could be referencing Wilson (i.e. if you beat this stage where winter is eternal, then you are the King of Winter). 

Ah yes, just as archipelago references how Wilson’s mind has been fractured into pieces, and darkness references the darkness in Wilson’s heart, a cold reception references Wilson’s childhood and lack of friends, and the game is afoot references Wilson’s feet. 

That makes more more sense than them referencing the challenges and layout of the world that the player character will face. XD

Also the ARGs were added later, likely retconning the established lore. No one has stated that Klei has been consistent with their handling of the lore and story of Don’t Starve, simply that you aren’t crazy or gender biased for thinking deerclops was male as he was before the voice of Klei spoke out and changed deerclops when they announced most bosses were female. 

So at at one point, max did literally mean he crafted everything in the world. It was changed to make the world more rich and deep, allowing for the story of the ancients and fuelweaver as we know it to exist as the ancient’s conflict with *them* had to pre-date Maxwell’s arrival. 

Are we really discussing the gender of a behemoth who comes uninvited every winter to lay waste on our bases? Why not run between it's legs and see what it has before it stomps on you, so you can refer to it properly right before you die right? Yikes.

2 minutes ago, Misuto said:

Ah yes, just as archipelago references how Wilson’s mind has been fractured into pieces, and darkness references the darkness in Wilson’s heart, a cold reception references Wilson’s childhood and lack of friends, and the game is afoot references Wilson’s feet. 

That makes more more sense than them referencing the challenges and layout of the world that the player character will face. XD

Well hold on there; I'm not saying at all the other stage titles are referencing Wilson. In fact, I'm saying that the "King of Winter" (the only stage whose title references a person) is referencing the entire stage obstacle of Winter (deerclops, mactusks, and eternal winter included) AND the player who conquers that obstacle. If there was a "King of Archipelagos", I would make the same argument. 

9 minutes ago, Misuto said:

Also the ARGs were added later, likely retconning the established lore. No one has stated that Klei has been consistent with their handling of the lore and story of Don’t Starve, simply that you aren’t crazy or gender biased for thinking deerclops was male as he was before the voice of Klei spoke out and changed deerclops when they announced most bosses were female. 

So at at one point, max did literally mean he crafted everything in the world. It was changed to make the world more rich and deep, allowing for the story of the ancients and fuelweaver as we know it to exist as the ancient’s conflict with *them* had to pre-date Maxwell’s arrival. 

I'm not sure I follow; where did this gender bias argument come from? I didn't see anyone in this thread make that argument, and I certainly don't blame anyone for assuming deerclops was male at all. I'm just questioning the argument that Klei retconned their lore. 

Do you have evidence though that Maxwell literally meant everything he said down to the strictest interpretation of semantics? I don't know; I think it sounds unusual for Maxwell to have literally meant that he created everything out of existence like a god. I mean, if he literally did have that power, Wilson should've been dead by the first few seconds of stage 1. 

So here’s the thing- I find this thing, I kill it and until the NEW GLASS EYEBRELLA Skin was a thing I always used to immediately take its Eye and create Deerclops Statues with it.. because I seriously hated the default design of Eyebrella that much.

Erm Anyway, that’s not the point, the point is I have about 3 or 4 of these Statues laying around my base, So UNLESS the Deerclops is turning into a Ghost and floating off to find the Nearest Resurrection Stone, Then Obviously there is more then ONE Deerclops.

Both Male and Female Versions.

Mystery Solved Scooby Gang. 

7 hours ago, RancorSnp said:

Firstly - I don't think so the deerclops was crowned by Pope.

Secondly - Poland history is not a necessary knowledge to play Don't Starve.

7 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

There are indeed lionesses with manes, and lions without

There are indeed women with moustache, and men without.

(it's due to hormones)

7 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Most creatures in Don't Starve are probably hermaphrodites/able to change gender at different Times

Or it's saving of source code.

4 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

I dont know why Klei all of a sudden feels a need to change this.

They seem to like to sow uncertainty (Because Constant is dark and mysterious place).

31 minutes ago, Vurusgard said:

Are we really discussing the (X) of (Y) who comes uninvited every (Z) to lay waste on our (A)? Why not (B) and see what it has before it (C) you, so you can refer to it properly right before you die right? Yikes.

Fixed your quote, so it would be quite usefull in any situation. Yikes. 

It's incredibly gross how people keep trying to shut down this conversation by saying "why do you care what's between their legs???" because no, nobody else is talking about that. Even with animals, there are tons of physical and behavioral differences depending on gender, and imo simplifying it to just their set of reproductive organs shows a lack of respect and understanding of animals in general.

I also don't get why people go absolutely mental about gender discussion, but then the same people are fine with any other sort of lore discussion. Why can't we just have a simple discussion about one of the constant's creatures without getting these overreactions?

Archived