[Game Update] - 389761

• Developer

A new patch!

Hello friends! We've got a patch to fix some of the bugs that came up over the holidays. The fixes will be on the Open Testing branch for a while (instructions below), so please hop on and give it a try!

Fixes and Changes

• Chinese localization updated 
  • Fix crash when Duplicants are using the Ice Fan
  • Automation sounds should recover to their full volumes more quickly now
  • Balloon Artists will now attempt to set up their balloon stand at the Printing Pod if there is no valid recreation room.
  • Balloon Artists now need less space to set up a balloon stand.
  • You can now set the priority on buildings with a "Drop All Workable" chore.
  • Fix for saves that already have NaN masses stored.
  • Preventative measure to stop NaNs from getting set on food
  • Update to Unity 2018.4
  • Completing the building of Small buildings is no longer super loud.
  • Fix a lot of instances of sounds being played at non-0 Z coordinates, leading to an uneven mix with unintended loudnesses.
  • Fix Ghosts Of Gravitas achievement being awarded inconsistently
  • String typo fixes
  • Fixed Sun Lamp sounds
  • Conducting heat via loose ore should respect insulation of the cell they are resting on
  • Took out the eyelashes in the Stinky eye set for the overjoyed reaction. They snuck in there undetected before.
  • Fixed issues causing the new game cinematic sequence behave oddly. The cinematic should now show the Duplicants exiting the portal, zoom in, and display the introduction message. After closing the message the first timelapse is taken.
  • Fix for issue preventing the portal side screen from showing checkbox for 'leave' victory condition

What is open testing?

"Open testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the game, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.

Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the open testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Default branch until the game launches in full. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an open tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the open testing build?

You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "testing"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

That's it! We hope you'll enjoy this taste of what's to come, and thank-you for your help testing out the new Upgrade!

View full update

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Balloon Artists will now attempt to set up their balloon stand at the Printing Pod if there is no valid recreation room.
  • Balloon Artists now need less space to set up a balloon stand.

They need space to set up a stand in a recreation room? Now I know why I have never seen it happening!

• Haha 3

On 1/15/2020 at 11:45 AM, Ipsquiggle said:

Automation sounds should recover to their full volumes more quickly now

Completing the building of Small buildings is no longer super loud.

Fix a lot of instances of sounds being played at non-0 Z coordinates, leading to an uneven mix with unintended loudnesses.

Music to my ears, ty. And you @jambell

Is it WAI that all dupes come with a bad trait, can that be made a toggle?

image.png.508dabd0e50eec55ac90c10cf6d241b0.png

That is quite amazing, startling, and a bit disheartening. I have been a game-tester by trade a few times in life, this would be deeply disturbing to me, and my morale.

Edited by Slvrsrfr
  • Like 1

Any news on the off-screen temperature bugs? @Ipsquiggle

I know a lot of players, myself included, have sort of given up on the game until you work through the plethora of game breaking bugs we have currently. Conveyor rail interactions, 1kg pipe packets, thermal rounding errors, etc etc. The major bugs that actually balls up the simulation.

Not worth running fresh playthroughs when you know you're going to be confronted by age-old bugs that still havn't been remedied.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

I know a lot of players, myself included, have sort of given up on the game until you work through the plethora of game breaking bugs we have currently.

Aren't you being overly dramatic here? I have yet to run into any actually "Game breaking" bug. (My current base is around cycle 6000.) They may break some aspects of some specific play-styles, but that is it. Be a little flexible and work around the issues. I am sure complaints that massive overstate problems do not impress the developers at all. They probably just mentally filter them out and look for more realistic feedback.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Conducting heat via loose ore should respect insulation of the cell they are resting on

I'm wondering if this will solve the "insulated building on insulated tiles" heat anomalies as well.  For example, if you fill a liquid reservoir with hot water it'll make the insulated tile beneath it get really hot, even though the building itself is room temperature and the contents are supposedly insulated.

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Aren't you being overly dramatic here? I have yet to run into any actually "Game breaking" bug. (My current base is around cycle 6000.) They may break some aspects of some specific play-styles, but that is it. Be a little flexible and work around the issues. I am sure complaints that massive overstate problems do not impress the developers at all. They probably just mentally filter them out and look for more realistic feedback.

Mmmh. Maybe, or maybe not.

image.thumb.png.ee109a8d64156ef848999ef9df665949.png

All things considered, maybe some irritation is involved ?

12 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Conducting heat via loose ore should respect insulation of the cell they are resting on

Thanks for this one :)

Edited by OxCD
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gurgel said:

They probably just mentally filter them out and look for more realistic feedback.

How "realistic" should feedback be?

Dazillion old bugs reported forever, changed nothing.
It feels like Klei gave up on ONI, still unfinished game.

Edited by Oozinator
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I'm wondering if this will solve the "insulated building on insulated tiles" heat anomalies as well.  For example, if you fill a liquid reservoir with hot water it'll make the insulated tile beneath it get really hot, even though the building itself is room temperature and the contents are supposedly insulated.

May be you know this already, but that's because reservoirs exchange heat with one tile below them as if they were debris and currently debris exchanges heat very well with tiles, even insulated ones. This makes it so that insulated tiles with any debris on top basically do not insulate at all.
I am guessing that with "loose ore" they mean any debris right? If so, the problem should be solved. Can someone from the testing branch confirm?

I am happy about these fixes, but I have to agree with others, there are still so many annoying bugs around that it is hard to feel like "celebrating".

I wish Klei would just let us old forum farts know about their intentions in general.
For example, no fixes for the plethora or problems/unbalancing with space. One would guess that the only plausible reason they are not touching something as potentially important as space is because they have bigger intentions for it in the future, but who knows? May be they are "content" with it basically feeling unfinished?

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Game breaking is when the game crashes with a blackhole and dumps you to the desktop.   And  this happens quite a few times and you don't know exactly why it happens.  So yea.  I get them once or twice a day. 

Here a real annoying thing and it's there since always.
When you set door permissions to "not pass", they still enter the door.
They do it for idling or jobs.
Here an example (just checked):
image.thumb.png.a3c90afa76d8bcbdb82e19a41ea4ca90.png
All doors set to "no pass" and all have the "lock door" errand.
Load the save and let it run , till all doors are locked..
image.thumb.png.427a4f32983d95c60ded484f616744b1.png
Edit: Errands (lock) are not saved, give lock order to all doors and unpause
Door test.sav

Another rant: For me whole space part makes not really sense, all that regolith fighting and for what?
You don't need those precious star loc. ressources, when you don't go into space.
Why the Moos are still worthless, as example?

An animal like a fine Moo(variations of it), could motivate me to do the space trip, but performance have to be fixed before.
All my ranches ended up beeing one tile ranches, because i tried to reduce pathfinding impact on FPS.

I never played any game, which influenced my playstyle so much, to stabilize performance.
ONI lose very much creative freedom, based on poor FPS performance.

lol

pf.PNG.f498b86bab0a6a80d3319711c44c6654.PNG

@yoakenashiThat "critter stuck" thing sucks too, very much. Do pips still reproduce when stuck, because fish doesn't and it's easy to lose whole population when it happens?

Edited by Oozinator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I would like to point out that the "limited feeding" is a resource saving feature, not a performance issue.  The "limiting pathfinding" can also be considered a space saving measure. 

My point is I would have still made this build or one like it without the performance concerns.

Edited by Zarquan

7 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

The contents are not supposedly insulated.  Not sure where you got that idea.

Glad there are devs still working on the game but I need to agree with the overall complaint. ONI is playable atm but late game is really unpleasant because of performance. A game like this only makes sense if you feel free to progress without an invisible clock deteriorating your save while you go through the in-game challenges. There is a serious time investment to be considered before engaging on fresh starts. Playing 200 hours the same base just to realize defeat by lag is coming again was something acceptable before the release of the game. As we already crossed that checkpoint of launch the hope is kinda gone you know? Beyond performance, bugs. They may not brake the game, but certainly cause damage to the interest of those who played enough to detect weird interactions repeatedly.

My realistic feedback: please fix performance and at least conveyors before coming up with a DLC or snowballing more new stuff into the game. Thanks.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

Game breaking is when the game crashes with a blackhole and dumps you to the desktop.   And  this happens quite a few times and you don't know exactly why it happens.  So yea.  I get them once or twice a day. 

No. "Game breaking" is when you cannot continue to play because a core mechanism that you need to use does not work. Crashes fall under "minor annoyance". 

19 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

No. "Game breaking" is when you cannot continue to play because a core mechanism that you need to use does not work. Crashes fall under "minor annoyance". 

That's a very personal scale of yours. If a group of players lost interest in the game because of a consistent bug or glitch, it is broken. Even removed/added features or balance changes to some games can be game breaking. About ONI specifically, there are over 10.000 minor annoyances which in sum certainly break the game for some. I don't expect every single one to be fixed but hey, conveyor rails and heat transfer are core mechanisms.

Edited by Junksteel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gurgel said:

As already posted above, some of these bugs have been around for over 2 years and still havn't been fixed - keeping them on the devs respective radars is surely how to get them resolved? I'm sure they don't need the pitchfork brigade to breakout as soon as someone tries to highlight certain issues. 

I know lots of people that have stopped playing entirely due to bugs within the game - these people often drop the game for a while with a view to return in a few months when things are hopefully fixed. The problem is a lot of these issues are not being resolved, and so players return - start a fresh playthrough, encounter the same crap, uninstall.

Overly dramatic? No. Concerned about the future of the game? Yes. 

Your opinion of game breaking may differ from mine, however let's try and meet in the middle - theres an entire bug tracker thread of "realistic feedback" - go check how many of them have been fixed. Go check how many have been "acknowledged" a very long time ago and yet to be fixed. Should we just continue to post recycled bug reports to add to the archive? Surely it'd be smarter to ask the devs genuine questions directly when the opportunity arises. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Junksteel said:

That's a very personal scale of yours. 

Please google "game breaking" and then come again. This is not a personal definition of mine. Also, a game with actual game breaking bugs in any real measure will not get a Steam Score of 97% positive (recent reviews). 

I do understand that some people do not like the state the game is in. But excessive hyperbole is not the way to get heard.

24 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Your opinion of game breaking may differ from mine, 

This is not my definition. Please google the term.

24 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

however let's try and meet in the middle - theres an entire bug tracker thread of "realistic feedback" - go check how many of them have been fixed. 

Pretty much anything I reported and would consider a real problem has been fixed, often fast. There is however a large body of claims as to very serious bugs, which are either actually minor things or design decisions and not bugs at all. Some people like to complain and when they get ignored, they try again, louder. Some people are also very much in love with their own ideas how things should be. Fortunately, Klei devs are good at ignoring them. Otherwise this game would be a lot worse than it is. Maybe with less bugs, but not nearly as much fun. 

Edited by Gurgel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Developer
7 hours ago, Zarquan said:

I actually just encountered a NaN on meal lice on the new patch (which is something I hadn't seen before).  I tried to load the autosave, but the game instantly crashed.

The Quarantined Crashpad Cycle 102.sav

Hi, I just tried opening this save on the testing branch and it seemed to load without a problem (I also see the log where it's handling the NaN). Can you double-check that steam properly updated the game for you when you switched branches? The build number should say "TESTING BUILD: RP-389761". If it's still there, send me the output_log.txt and I'll take a look - Thanks!

Instead of "game breaking" I think it would be better to call some of these bugs "joy draining." 

I like to do math to find out how the simulation will run, but if there are bugs that make the math unpredictable it really drains the joy out of the game. 

In general, I've noticed the community seems to really love bugs that give them extra resources, but hate bugs that drain resources (such as valuable heat in a steam turbine setup).

Personally, I find my enthusiasm for the game drained by either type of bug. I think everyone just wants the simulation to run predictably and according to set rules. Right now, the thermodynamics are out of wack in some key areas and its just frustrating and joy draining...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• Developer
8 hours ago, Oozinator said:

Here a real annoying thing and it's there since always.
When you set door permissions to "not pass", they still enter the door.
They do it for idling or jobs.
Here an example (just checked):
image.thumb.png.a3c90afa76d8bcbdb82e19a41ea4ca90.png
All doors set to "no pass" and all have the "lock door" errand.
Load the save and let it run , till all doors are locked..
image.thumb.png.427a4f32983d95c60ded484f616744b1.png
Edit: Errands (lock) are not saved, give lock order to all doors and unpause
Door test.sav

What is the expected behavior here? When I ran this test, Mi-Ma locked all the doors, but she didn't have to pass through any of them to do so.