Recreation Pack discussed

I really enjoyed the small update but it seems there are things in the need of a second look. Better discuss this stuff now before even more content is added to the game through DLC.

01) Hot Tub - time use is an issue: 90 seconds (but luckily the animation gets interrupted when it's time to sleep). Don't get me started on bleach stone.

02) Wind Tunnel - 90 seconds of time use as well. Animation isn't interrupted and dupes can spend a night wasting 1200w to acquire a Sore Back. Even if I give dupes 6 tiles of downtime they can randomly enter the wind tunnel right before shift ends and don't go to bed or work when expected (that's why I'm just giving the standard 2 tiles of downtime now)

03) Joy Reactions - Balloon Artist has an issue on its trigger. I have 3 dupes and the streakers are doing their thing all the time (what a lovely bonus!!!) while I NEVER saw my Ballon Artist making ballons in this 3 dupe colony. Base is small and I'm always looking at them! I want balloons, please!

Please feel free to discuss any aspect of the new content here. I fear some of this stuff will never get a second look when more things are added to the game.
image.thumb.png.40f4152dd62e5f66d60ef526368eb081.png

Thoughts on the new content? Waste of dev time really. New content that noone was asking for and even less will use after trying it once. The dev time that went into it could have been spent at least trying to address the many issues that are with actual bugs and just lousy implementations of previous content. I'm beginning to think this game will actually never be fully developed because the devs apparently don't give a flying flamingo anymore.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Thoughts on the new content? Waste of dev time really. New content that noone was asking for and even less will use after trying it once. The dev time that went into it could have been spent at least trying to address the many issues that are with actual bugs and just lousy implementations of previous content. I'm beginning to think this game will actually never be fully developed because the devs apparently don't give a flying flamingo anymore.

Gotta say, this was pretty much my point of view as well.  Morale is not an issue and is already very easy to maintain.  Many people didn't even bother with the pre-rec pack morale buildings.  I was left scratching my head when I read the update notes.  So many other things that should/could have been addressed.  If I wanted to focus on entertaining my dupes, I'd just play The Sims instead.

I enjoy playing this game because I like engineering cool contraptions.  Late game performance lag and buggy interactions both have a negative impact on this aspect of the game.  It's a bit tiring trying to remember and plan for all the weird buggy quirks when trying to experiment with new builds.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

I'm beginning to think this game will actually never be fully developed because the devs apparently don't give a flying flamingo anymore.

Amen... what was the point in time when games got like this?...release=beta gameplay, so to say...I'd say that it's a shame but there are more important things going on in the world so I'm just slightly annoyed...

Well, the elefant in the room. I was trying to convince myself the update was just something they got kinda shipped already and just threw it as a way to gain more time to address the pille of bugs. I mean, I'd love to see conveyors fix update but couldn't expect to see devs boiling their brains with such rushed release and the approaching 2020. It's sad to see the business schedule titering the priorities behind the scenes. There's always a new project and everything is somewhat disposable. I'd buy this game happily 10 more times if this was the cost to get it up and running smoothly like a non beta project. But the thing is most people will not. Worst part is the fixes are not for selling. They depend on good dev mood and future plans for the project which are inevitably tied to the dependance of selling new stuff. Fixing old stuff isn't a product, it's the resource consuming and boring task of providing customer support. Hopefully one day, after all DLC's released, that one single intern left to take care of the old game will fix everything because he has no project and is bored as hell. Maybe the wind tunnel will become useful on that day. lol :D

Its an added content, what gives me the right to complain?

Do I find it engaging? not really. its ok-ish I guess. I think some of the things are a bit cartoony. like the dancing robot or the surfing board.

However I do agree that improving the game preformance and fixing more of the bugs is more impotent right now.

It’s so strange to see complaining about new content. Adds a very important mechanic, benefits for overmoraling your dupes. Before, there was no real point. 

Do old bugs need addressing? Yes. 
Do the new buildings need a second look? Yes.

Is the core mechanic behind this update good for the game? Yes

3 hours ago, Saturnus said:

The dev time that went into it could have been spent at least trying to address the many issues that are with actual bugs and just lousy implementations of previous content.

Well I agree with some points but disagree with others. I have been part of this discussion on multiple games in dev before.

Game creation is a many skill job. You dont want a story writer, concept artist, pixel artist, etc to be trying to iron out bugs in the code.
You cant fire all of your artists and hire more coders then hire all new artists later. This can somewhat be gotten around with contracting but you generally want a team that has familiarity with the overall project and is aware of the history of the game, the studio, etc, and has the rapport to smooth out a lot of the process. Often multiple projects will be run parallel, another part of their team might be really busy with code, but most of it might be released in little patches regularly.
And crappy DLC happens all the time. Fatshark spent ages creating a separate seasonal "rank ladder" mode for Vermintide2 and absolutely nobody plays it so you cant get a match. I still love most of their content and am quite happy to forgive them based on $ per hour played I have gotten great value out of VT2 and ONI. And the rec update was free, so   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, Saturnus said:

I think the update and the new short came out because the artists had nothing on their schedule. They can only start plugging in artwork when they know that the building/critter in question is a good idea to spend resources on. I assume a small number of programmers worked on the new upgrade while the rest is working on future content.

My evidence is that the upgrade was almost purely art-themed, there were no big mechanical gameplay changes except the joy-reactions. Which are also very cosmetic. In my eyes, I see this as a win-win since players get a small chunk of content in the meantime, and the artists have something to make/do while the programmers work at future content.

I really like the update. Yes it wasn`t needed. Not for someone who wants to maximize efficiency and perfect designs. But for someone who wants to chill and enjoy dupes running around it`s a great addition. You got some small things to work on. As a person that gets annoyed by resources that got limited uses i love that some of the recreation buildings need wood to be build.

Still it isn`t perfect. With just 12 dupes i have trouble finding the baloon artist that`s overjoyed. No info it`s happening aside of the baloons around and no info on what it actually does. The reactions are cool but new players won`t know what they actually do. On the contrary stress reactions are pretty obvious.

Also bugs not fixed. Well i got so used to unfixed bugs from other games i stopped caring about those. Still the ones most affecting me personally is the missing animation on the curative tablet and the "unrefirigerated food" message opening the food tab instead of showing the spoiling food piece. This is why i can understand the low priority on the bug fixes.

So basically it`s an update for the casual players. Gives a few small construction challenges for a morale reward. Nothing gamechanging so it makes sense it`s a free update after the game is out.

I finally got around to trying my first recreation machine: the soda fountain.  I have more power than I know what to do with provided just by hydrogen generators and a 25% duty cycle ethanol generator from 4 wild arbor trees, plus the intermittent steam turbines for deleting heat, so I figured why not try to waste some power and get rid of some CO2.  One dupe spends almost an entire break shift drinking soda while the fountain consumes power.  Seriously?  It should take like 5-10 seconds to pour the soda, then let another dupe pour one, then another, and the couple of them can stand around and chat and drink for 20-25 seconds.  I have 16 dupes.  Am I supposed to build 16 soda fountains?

4 hours ago, Junksteel said:

Well, for now Marie stacked her own sparkle streaking with first balloon ever spawned by Nails in the colony. It just happened. Cycle 1672...

I love it even though I can't understand the logics behind if there is one.

image.thumb.png.1dbf21c874c668d685d53526733e5c02.png

They spotted a bug and fix it, secretly.

Personally I  like it.  Some of it is more or less pointless, true. But I use the surfboard and the soda fountain. I'd like to use the juicer but by the time I get to it, I'm not growing meal lice anymore. 

I've played a bit with the wind tunnel as an atmosphere mover more than a recreational item with some interesting results. 

On 29/12/2019 at 10:46 AM, Soulwind said:

Personally I  like it.  Some of it is more or less pointless, true.

I like it too. With some more work, all the additions could become core part of the game. If the joy reactions were consistent and the recreation buildings more stable, one could actively work to have the bonuses and rely on them. 

As was already said, it wasn't necessary to give more means to manage morale as it was already fairly easy, though soem of the added joy reactions are quite relevant (hello balloon artist and sparkle streaker). Plus, it is free, nice content. It actually made me start a new base.

19 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Absolutely agree. Instead of polishing other aspects of the game that REALLY needed attention, like space, as is discussed in another thread, they spent time adding some non essential features that need MORE polishing, as again has been largely discussed (bugs in joy reactions).

I understand that publishing new content may be beneficial from a marketing point of view in the short term, but in the long term, they are making the game more messy and giving more reasons to doubt their doing and methods.

I think most people would agree if I said that we prefer solid small content to larger but messier one.

23 minutes ago, suxkar said:

It actually made me start a new base.

Same here.

23 minutes ago, suxkar said:

...non essential features that need MORE polishing, as again has been largely discussed (bugs in joy reactions)... are making the game more messy...

YES!! Right now my dupes are less productive because of these buildings rather than the opposite. Marie is exhausted.
image.thumb.png.3123a15a619af5fac0fb0fd2d8358ed0.png

I may be wrong...

But from what I recall, this was a surprise bonus. Not even on the list of things they are working on.

There are times where people on the team are not working on the next release, and they are given time to do things on the "This could be fun" list. Eventually the "This could be fun" list is ready for release before the next "We are working on this". And SURPRISE! Free bonus content.

Sure, there seems to be some bugs with the new content. Those can get added to the list of things they are working on. (Like balloons and stickers being about 10x rarer than sparkles and productivity.) Sure, the new items aren't the best for morale, and morale is not much of an issue, but this allows for optional use.

Perhaps you want to be a NICE overlord and give your duplicants a day off to spend at "Meep's Magical Morale....place." You have that option.

If however all you want is the bonus and only if it's good. Then perhaps just a few soda fountains.

In the mean time, be thankful for extra free content that you don't have to buy as a DLC and wait for the DLC that is mentioned in their roadmap. Then you can pay for extra content that should be more fleshed out and tested.

1 hour ago, Junksteel said:

Same here.

YES!! Right now my dupes are less productive because of these buildings rather than the opposite. Marie is exhausted.
image.thumb.png.3123a15a619af5fac0fb0fd2d8358ed0.png

OMG my Marie keeps on doing that too!!!! Is it because some rec buildings take a long time? How do you solve this??

i kinda assumed that they have given us one half of something. we have here the "ways to make them happy and less stressed" .. next they will drop the "this is the reason you will need these recreational buildings" update. personally, i LOVE the surfboard. super easy to add in to pretty much any base/location, low power reqs, pretty quick anims, hecking adorability factor over 9000...

i do kinda feel like there are people that want this game to be a perfect efficient min/max automagical flawless thing. i do not understand this way of thinking, not for ONI certainly. this is a place being colonised by actual living beings. would YOU work 20 hours out of every 24, 7 days a week for 10000's of days? no. nor should the dupes. SO much love and detail is put into this game and sometimes you need to slow down, zoom in and just enjoy it, that otherwise most of the time is missed (zoomed out fast speed)

idk. they are dupes, with feelings, personality and dreams, not robots. let them live

I was honestly hoping these new machines would lead to new game mechanics.

Like how the steam turbine is primarily used for heat deletion rather than power generation. The metal refinery can be used as an ultra-high temperature heater. Window tiles made of diamond are heat conductors. Deodorizers can be used to make clay. And so on.

The first thing i thought of when i saw the wind tunnel was "Can i leave it stuck ON and use it a forced air mover? Maybe turn it into a high speed gas-gas heat exchanger?

Most of the fun in ONI was messing with things the way they were NOT intended. 

Sadly the recreation pack only does exactly what it's intended for. A terrible tragedy :D

All that being said. I'm not angry at all. It's free content on a game i already paid for. 

4 hours ago, suxkar said:

Is it because some rec buildings take a long time? How do you solve this??

make it accessible only during certain times. use clock automation. if you have a few different schedule you can design it around door premonitions.

Archived