Are you satisfied with hamlet?

JosePapp

2 hours ago, inferjus4 said:

Toilet profile picture was set as a response to Sunset Skye's argument that if I have "triggered" meme as profile picture my opinion doesn't matter, or something like that.

its hard for me to understand why some people can label someone so easily  over a profile picture, at one side they are extremely defensive of anyone's rights being trampled upon etc and on the other side they are just gonna label an entire number of players "salty" because they don't agree with them.

this isn't how democracy works, or maybe we have something else going on cause we are just demanding attention from a company to not abandon a game we love soo much.

Just now, MWY said:

its hard for me to understand why some people can label someone so easily  over a profile picture, at one side they are extremely defensive of anyone's rights being trampled upon etc and on the other side they are just gonna label an entire number of players "salty" because they don't agree with them.

this isn't how democracy works, or maybe we have something else going on cause we are just demanding attention from a company to not abandon a game we love soo much.

I am glad you're on my side, but I would prefer to not make another war in Hamlet subforum. I think we all argue too much here and we all should try to get rid of passive-agressive attitude. People already think we are the bad guys because we keep complaining about Hamlet. Let us forget about our past discords and quarrels and let's start from the beginning. We already showed in this thread we can show our negative opinion without being even slightly aggresive, let's keep it up!

5 minutes ago, inferjus4 said:

I am glad you're on my side, but I would prefer to not make another war in Hamlet subforum. I think we all argue too much here and we all should try to get rid of passive-agressive attitude. People already think we are the bad guys because we keep complaining about Hamlet. Let us forget about our past discords and quarrels and let's start from the beginning. We already showed in this thread we can show our negative opinion without being even slightly aggresive, let's keep it up!

well any "potential" update might be only 3 to 4 months  away so we should be hyped about it, or else we can just wait like we have been doing before, no loss in that
skeleton-thumb-260nw-6113269.jpg

*dried skeleton noises*

Hmm, there's one important thing to note that makes me wonder: Hamlet as of now hasn't been released on console. One would think that the devs would try to port it at some point in time so they can sell it to a wider audience but that hasn't happened. I'm not sure what to make of this, does it mean they're focused on making a console version, or that they've abandoned it completely?

52 minutes ago, ThemInspectors said:

Hmm, there's one important thing to note that makes me wonder: Hamlet as of now hasn't been released on console. One would think that the devs would try to port it at some point in time so they can sell it to a wider audience but that hasn't happened. I'm not sure what to make of this, does it mean they're focused on making a console version, or that they've abandoned it completely?

Devs released Hamlet only on Steam. I think they are busy with other things and that's the reason why they forgot to release it on different platforms.

I was satisfied with Hamlet, but the more time passes on, the less satisfied I get. We have no news on missing content from the roadmap, many exploits still exist, the Aporkalipse, hyped up to be the games major sense of danger, is boring and mostly featureless, and the entire thing is just starting to feel...

Half assed?

Abandoned?

Forgotten?

It's like Hamlet's been swept under the rug, and we got a product which still wasn't entirely finished. Sure, there are flashy bosses, cool characters and gameplay mechanics, but nothing feels like it's polished to completion.

On 16/01/2020 at 11:07 PM, Raspberry Shake said:

It's like Hamlet's been swept under the rug, and we got a product which still wasn't entirely finished. Sure, there are flashy bosses, cool characters and gameplay mechanics, but nothing feels like it's polished to completion.

That's like, the best way of describing it.

We have flashy bosses, that we have almost no reason to fight against.

I mean, why would you fight Ancient Herald? To get that cloak that you'd probably never use?

Why would you fight Iron Hulk? For an item that gives you temporary god mode that you most likely won't have a use for since you've probably already completed Hamlet at that point. Problem is further compounded due to the fact that there are no seasonal bosses. The only two potentially useful bosses are Queen Womant, because she actually unlocks Wilba and gives you a recipe, and the Pugalisk. There is almost no reason to fight the rest. The bats are more of a boss mob due to the fact that they actually pose a threat and they come to you instead of the other way around. Oh, and they also drop useful loot.

Cool characters indeed. Don't have many problems with that. Only thing that I can come up with is the fact that Woodworm is unlocked by default. WHY?!

You have all these jungles in Hamlet. They really should've made a setpiece in the jungles (or the poisonous ones) that would allow you to unlock him. He is literally themed after those jungles, so it was a disappointment that they didn't do anything with him. Then, again, Hamlet has like, no new set pieces anyway...

Gameplay mechanics are great. The biggest one, being the villages (or Hamlets) is arguably the best part of the DLC. Everything else however, feels rushed.

3 Seasons that only last 11 days. You get to experience them within the first, what, 3 hours? Not only that, but there is almost nothing seasonal within those 3 seasons. No bosses or plants or anything like that. Humid has the beetles at least, and Lush has the brambles. But they're pretty bare otherwise. After that, nothing ever changes since you've already ran out of content.

Aporkalypse is a massive disappointment, with no atmosphere and no reason to go to do it other than for the "challenge" it possesses (aka, constant bats). Where is the spoopy sounds and visual cues? Why do the stone slabs and urns and what not, NOT have a much higher chance to drop rare items during it? Why is there no exclusive monsters other than the Ancient Herald? THERE IS NO REASON TO LET THE APORKALYPSE HAPPEN!

If I may be so bold, I'd say that Shipwrecked before the update had more to do than Hamlet does. You've had at least 3 new characters (some for which that you actually had to complete set pieces for), with 4 seasons (which also came with new weathers, seasonal bosses and events). A brand new mechanic too, aka the sailing. You've also had the Volcano within that! A freaking Volcano! That you could enter!

Now that I think about it, maybe Shipwrecked didn't necessarily have more content than Hamlet, but it felt much more polished. Not only that, but it was cheaper to boot too.

So yeah, Hamlet is great at it's core... just severely lacking in content/polish.

4 hours ago, Roosev said:

3 Seasons that only last 11 days. You get to experience them within the first, what, 3 hours? Not only that, but there is almost nothing seasonal within those 3 seasons. No bosses or plants or anything like that. Humid has the beetles at least, and Lush has the brambles. But they're pretty bare otherwise. After that, nothing ever changes since you've already ran out of content.

the only thing that soured my Hamlet experience, you CANNOT enjoy a season in just 10 days and be expected to be prepared for the other in the sametime, I mean we got out first full moon in RoG after 10 days and that gave you an idea how unique everything is.

I mean even Adventure mode which was a true challenge had more manageable season times then this, maybe the devs thought putting that in a sandbox game would make it more interesting.

19 hours ago, Roosev said:

Why would you fight Iron Hulk? For an item that gives you temporary god mode that you most likely won't have a use for since you've probably already completed Hamlet at that point.

This is a bit silly though because it assumes that
1. You refuse to use the Skyworthy, which means you're limiting yourself rather than the Living Artifact being limited in usefulness.
2. You only want to fight all the bosses and then quit playing.
The Living Artifact can be used for resource gathering, biome clearing, and fighting in any of the 3 worlds and their sublevels. Hamlet's late-game is based around clearing the world and building your own city, and then the endgame is more about using its content to complement other worlds, and the Living Artifact is a great example of that.

15 hours ago, Machine Reaper said:

the only thing that soured my Hamlet experience, you CANNOT enjoy a season in just 10 days and be expected to be prepared for the other in the sametime, I mean we got out first full moon in RoG after 10 days and that gave you an idea how unique everything is.

But... you can. Hamlet's seasons are so short because they're easy to prepare for and are designed for multiple seasonal cycles of playtime. All you need to do to survive the first two seasons is craft/buy a pith hat, or make a cowl. Then during humid, you just need to forage for enough nettles to keep the hayfever away, then in lush you can start getting bramble blooms and working on creating your own nettle farm to make the next cycle easier.
There's certainly more to do in that little bit of time than RoG/SW, and you need better time management skills, but Hamlet is the third DLC for DS and I think it's reasonable that it would be more difficult.

The 2 main reasons imo why Hamlet turned out how it turned out are:

-Giving away so many copies for free. I mean that was very nice but money is important.

-Ds being an old game. Its engine probably didn't make it easy for devs to add new stuff.

Now that doesn't mean that this dlc is a failure as some people enjoy it (like Skye). However for me there are 2 main things which make it hard for me to enjoy Hamlet. Seasons' length and Pig Towns. 

If there's something that I hate in gaming it's definitelly putting pressure on a player via time. And that's like 50% of Hamlet's gameplay. The moment you start the game you have to try and gather items for Humid season as it's basically impossible to do that later when the season begins. The same goes for Lush season. You have to spent entirety of Humid season collecting Nettles or else you'll just have to suck it up and be insane for the entirety of Lush season. All of that is caused becasue these seasons are so short. You don't have time to actually relax and enjoy the game because you have to constanly prepare for something. And then there's the Aporkalypse which is the worst. You cannot focus on anything untill you've stopped the Aporkalypse becasue once it begins you're screwed and that's only because of all those ghosts in the ruins which trigger pressure plates.

And Pig Towns. They completely remove the survival aspect of the game. Sit in your house safe from everything and farm oinks via clippings and chitin left by Rapid Beetles. Aporkalypse exists only to prevent you from sitting in your town.

Hamlet consists of 50% pressure caused by the need to prepare for something having little time on your hands and 50% megabase building. There's no survival and exploration. And I'm sorry to say that but since its release I've only had 2 worlds that I actually reached 100 days mark. In other worlds I got too bored/annoyed to bother playing. But I guess that's also because I'm too used to playing dst where there's more to do.

On 22.01.2020 at 12:54 AM, Roosev said:

snip

Actually, I think that short seasons are a brilliant idea. The problem is only first three seasons are challenging, after you survive them there is nothing interesting left in them (because there is no much season-exclusive stuff) and all you have to do is get a pith hat or nettles. 

Also Living Artifact is not a bad item, it is just a bit useless if you get it at the end of the game, but then everything is useless because you finished the game.

I enjoyed Hamlet and feel satisfied with it. But I'm one of the ones who got it for free, so I'm inclined to be charitable toward judging it.

@minespatch Wait, so... Maxwell's second sibling is his brother Jack who lives in California. His third sibling may or may not be hot-air Herald.

...Who's his first sibling?

Another thing that let me down a bit with Hamlet is the lack of lore.

I was hoping for a reveal of pigs history or that the ruins would contain something that could sched more light on Ancients or Constant in general.

Unfortunatelly we didn't get much, tho I've seen some people making assumtions about the Aporkalypse calendar

49 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Another thing that let me down a bit with Hamlet is the lack of lore.

I was hoping for a reveal of pigs history or that the ruins would contain something that could sched more light on Ancients or Constant in general.

Unfortunatelly we didn't get much, tho I've seen some people making assumtions about the Aporkalypse calendar

all we got was a hot air balloon that likes to summon frogs and sets them all on fire after a while...and guess what? that hot air balloon is present in one of the artworks for DST's latest lore surrounding the Ancient Gateway.

so from this what I can say is that Lore-wise HAM is accurate and connected to DST but it has not been defined yet at all,
we have NO lore in HAM currently and Wagstaff's appearance also plays a massive role in explaining the lore further which hasn't been touched upon at all...

well spring has started already so lets hope Klei decides to give us something now at least....

the pig town makes it too easy to survive :(

when I first saw the hamlet trailer, I had hoped you would have to cross lots of rivers and jungle to get to the pig town. what we got was a chance to spawn next to the town, and if you didn't, it was nearby.

oh, and the rivers was lakes :( 

Archived