Are you satisfied with hamlet?

JosePapp

I know it still has it's raw stuff but i do like ham a lot. It added civilization to don't starve and 3 incredibly good characters along with a dead one. It could have had more fleshed out seasons and biomes like the lake do leave a lot to be desired but it's wow factor,  artstyle and overall innovation grant it a solid spot. What do you all think?

due to the engine being old and not modern like DST's, Hamlet was not able to live up to the expectations nor the roadmap the devs laid out for it.

they had to spend time either enhancing and modernizing the engine or making workarounds in the old engine for the new stuff to work in.

and we ended up with what we have, a DLC that feels unfinished and needing attention.

Hey OP, just a warning: the Hamlet forums are very unfriendly, the majority of the remaining people are the ones incredibly salty over Hamlet being "abandoned", and most people who enjoy the DLC have left because there's not much good discussion to be had here. If you want multiple opinions, I'd recommend also asking this somewhere like /r/dontstarve.

Personally, I think the things Hamlet adds (currency and shops, lamp posts, merged crafting, great characters, a third world to base/hop in, QoL improvements, tons of new plants, interiors with potentially infinite rooms, all kinds of great turf, the most fun bosses in DS/T, an amazing soundtrack, etc) more than make up for some of the things like the seasons being underdeveloped, and it all leads to the most satisfying endgame experience in the entire Don't Starve series.

As someone who never went to the forums for a long time, I just enjoyed Hamlet a lot, that's all. I don't feel anything is missing.

It's really the difficult DLC, the only one that got me stuck on first season for a long while and where most of the time I know that just one mistake could send me to the grave. I just love how many times that DLC reminded me that everything in it wanted me dead.

20 hours ago, Lbphero said:

i am satisfied with hamlet on most fronts but there're a few things that i wish were in it like a way to get to and from other islands without having to play wagstaff or go through ruins, stuff like that

Telelocator focus!! Purple gems are easy to mass collect so using 3 is no big deal.

It felt the same as Shipwrecked, so much effort was put into adding a crazy new feature (sailing>temple exploration, shops) and very little time was left to really flesh these things out into fun features.

Shipwrecked feels like the vanilla game with less content, but walking is replaced with sailing in a vast, empty ocean. Hamlet at least feels like a departure from the base game, but the temples contain very little content, you have the same 3 traps repeated over and over, and that's about it. Building pig villages is pointless from a survival standpoint, guard towers are the only structure of any value.

So temple exploration is a bust, and town building is largely pointless, the two entire points of the DLC.

They so clearly rushed this thing out without promised features, there's no doubt in my mind that it's because they gave the DLC away for free to so many people, and it wasn't making enough money to be worth developing compared to DST.

Maybe if Hamlet had more dangerous traps, enemies, and fleshed out seasons and bosses I would enjoy it more, right now I'm not impressed.

As for a theoretical way to make Hamlet great, I would love it if temples required resources like climbing ropes, gassed rooms that require you to have a gas mask, locked doors that maybe require a key or a lock pick kit, and traps that actually make it important to use the disarming kit.

Make it feel like you're going into town to stock up on supplies, taking trips into the ruins to make some little bit more progress, collecting loot, maybe getting roadblocked by some new trap or hazard, and coming back to outfit yourself with another set of supplies you need, selling off loot you've acquired.

Overall, it's ...fun? it adds an amazing collection of new art, features, music and sounds, but the core gameplay seems rushed and incomplete, and I don't at all think it's because of 'laziness', (IMO) it seems like a genuine budget concern.

On 12/18/2019 at 5:19 PM, Sunset Skye said:

/r/dontstarve.

Yes, go to Reddit, a site that everyone hates for being an echo chamber full of band-wagoning hate mobs.

1 hour ago, Ogrecakes said:

They so clearly rushed this thing out without promised features, there's no doubt in my mind that it's because they gave the DLC away for free to so many people, and it wasn't making enough money to be worth developing compared to DST.

My thoughts exactly.

40 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Overall, it's fun, adds an amazing collection of new art, features, music and sounds, but the core gameplay seems rushed and incomplete, and I don't at all think it's because of 'laziness', (IMO) it seems like a genuine budget concern.

Yes, go to Reddit, a site that everyone hates for being an echo chamber full of band-wagoning hate mobs.

Which, probably traces back to making the.. uhh.. least to say, questionable decision to give away Hamlet for free to all the players who were most definitely going to purchase it. A... discount would have sufficed... In fact, it was such a confusing decision, that to this day... I just can't wrap my head around it, other than it possibly being self sabotage or something. Oh well.. :( 

No matter how you feel about Hamlet, saying that it wasn't rushed/abandoned at this point would be denying the facts. Content was promised and simply not delivered. Joe even said in another thread.. that they didn't plan on fixing any remaining bugs or anything, so its not even going to be polished. I don't think anyone upset about how Hamlet was handled were simply just being "salty", as someone implied in this thread. And for the unfortunate group of people who weren't around to receive the free copy, I could definitely understand this feeling like a slap to the face, ehhh.. not to mention that this was the most expensive DLC. All I'm saying is that the disappointment/frustration was reasonable, and something that I can understand. In the end, I too feel that Hamlet is enjoyable enough, but it could have been so much more.

On 12/18/2019 at 5:19 PM, Sunset Skye said:

Hey OP, just a warning: the Hamlet forums are very unfriendly, the majority of the remaining people are the ones incredibly salty over Hamlet being "abandoned", and most people who enjoy the DLC have left because there's not much good discussion to be had here. 

Ironically, the one coming off as unfriendly here is you. Seeing a senior member of the forums discourage discussion like this is incredibly disheartening. Its also disappointing that you would simply write off these people as just being "salty" instead of trying to understand why so many were upset by this. Try and consider where the people you are disagreeing with are coming from, rather than focusing on antagonizing/villainizing them like this. Empathy can go a long way and lead to some friendly discussions. :D

1 hour ago, Ogrecakes said:

As for a theoretical way to make Hamlet great, I would love it if temples required resources like climbing ropes, gassed rooms that require you to have a gas mask, locked doors that maybe require a key or a lock pick kit, and traps that actually make it important to use the disarming kit.

Make it feel like you're going into town to stock up on supplies, taking trips into the ruins to make some little bit more progress, collecting loot, maybe getting roadblocked by some new trap or hazard, and coming back to outfit yourself with another set of supplies you need, selling off loot you've acquired.

Awesome ideas!!!!!

10 hours ago, Crimson Chin said:

Which, probably traces back to making the.. uhh.. least to say, questionable decision to give away Hamlet for free to all the players who were most definitely going to purchase it. A... discount would have sufficed... In fact, it was such a confusing decision, that to this day... I just can't wrap my head around it, other than it possibly being self sabotage or something. Oh well.. :(

Klei probably thought that the DLC profit margin would be large enough to make the losses over the free copies seem tiny by comparison. I fully believe the intent was good-natured and they've simply wanted to give back to the fans. It was a gamble, one that obviously didn't pay off, but it was done for a good cause.

No matter how you feel about Hamlet, saying that it wasn't rushed/abandoned at this point would be denying the facts.

"Quality" of life update. That's all.

And well, maybe the Aporkalypse.

Content was promised and simply not delivered. Joe even said in another thread.. that they didn't plan on fixing any remaining bugs or anything, so its not even going to be polished.

You can always make the argument that maybe they've simply decided to scrap the content because they've ran out of time or because they couldn't do it. But they didn't. They've simply released the game. They should've communicated to us (you know, the people who paid them to complete the game) that the plans have changed. They would've avoided the ****-show that way. They should've been more transparent with their consumer base.

In the end, I too feel that Hamlet is enjoyable enough, but it could have been so much more.

Agreed.

Ironically, the one coming off as unfriendly here is you. Seeing a senior member of the forums discourage discussion like this is incredibly disheartening. Its also disappointing that you would simply write off these people as just being "salty" instead of trying to understand why so many were upset by this. Try and consider where the people you are disagreeing with are coming from, rather than focusing on antagonizing/villainizing them like this. Empathy can go a long way and lead to some friendly discussions.

Hmm... I don't feel it's a problem with people defending Klei. It shows that they're passionate for the product and that they are also loyal to the company. But, on the other hand, it's like a relationship. It becomes unhealthy once you keep defending absolutely everything they do. Instead, make it a healthy relationship. Make sure to let them know when they mess up so that they learn! Not just leave them to wallow in ignorance and then repeat the mistakes in the future...

Obviously, that doesn't always work as sometimes critism is actually warranted! But I don't feel it is in this case.

I love Klei, and I've been on these forums for quite a few years too! But that ain't gonna stop me from calling them out on some ********.

On 19/12/2019 at 3:49 AM, Sunset Skye said:

Hey OP, just a warning: the Hamlet forums are very unfriendly, the majority of the remaining people are the ones incredibly salty over Hamlet being "abandoned", and most people who enjoy the DLC have left because there's not much good discussion to be had here. If you want multiple opinions, I'd recommend also asking this somewhere like /r/dontstarve.

Personally, I think the things Hamlet adds (currency and shops, lamp posts, merged crafting, great characters, a third world to base/hop in, QoL improvements, tons of new plants, interiors with potentially infinite rooms, all kinds of great turf, the most fun bosses in DS/T, an amazing soundtrack, etc) more than make up for some of the things like the seasons being underdeveloped, and it all leads to the most satisfying endgame experience in the entire Don't Starve series.

I am not salty that it doesn't have enough content or its bad but rather over the fact that whatever was added is not polished and balanced.

Are you going to ignore the fact that many mobs dont drop anything or some drops have no uses:

Like the giant grub, platapine quill or the antler dont have any use other than the BFB horn which you dont require many.

Or food recipes(bugs) being entirely non-renewable however slow it may be like gummy slugs, bean-bugs

Also, mobs getting wiped out like pea-gawks in a few days with no mechanism of respawn.

Easily cheesing starts like destroying the bank and rebuilding.

Also, some basic features are missing like new set pieces, the transformation of Ro-bin etc

(I hope I dont regret posting here again.)

On 28.12.2019 at 3:48 PM, Ogrecakes said:

It felt the same as Shipwrecked, so much effort was put into adding a crazy new feature (sailing>temple exploration, shops) and very little time was left to really flesh these things out into fun features.

I am known to not be on best terms with the Hamlet DLC but it is not that I hate it. It is ...fine in my eyes. I can play a few years in Hamlet worlds but after that I just stop. My biggest complains are the very things you mention unfortunately. The pig ruins and pig shops seemed like good features on paper but the more I played the DLC the more I realized that those aspects where the reason I wasnt having longterm fun with it. 

I feel like pig shops (and Oinks as a consequence) are just not working in DS. One of the very basic formulars of DS was always to find stuff, craft stuff, interact with stuff, explore the world for even more interesting stuff, repeat. Oincs and pig shops throw that just out the window. You can settle down in one of the pig cities and never really need to explore outwards if you dont feel like it (Aporkolypse aside but puting a giant trigger bomb somewhere in the world that you have to find before it explodes isnt exactly encouraging). Oinks and pig shops are just too versitile, too easy to abuse and flatout not working with the DS frame. 

Pig ruins and every other "room" (houses, pig shops) are just not working either for me. The biggest reason for that is that the camera situation changes. Yeah... , that doesnt seem like a big issue but the fact that the camera doesnt follow the player anymore like it does in ROG ruins makes exploring, avoiding traps and fighting just incredible awkward and disconected from the rest of the world. There are other reasons too like creating infinite spaces in houses among other things but that is my biggest concern.

So in my eyes those are the problems of the DLC. It is just ashame that those are the biggest new features. Those two things aside, Hamlet is actually great. The DLC is vivid, the atomsphere is great and world seems bigger than it really is and takes time to explore. 

Shipwrecked feels like the vanilla game with less content, but walking is replaced with sailing in a vast, empty ocean. Hamlet at least feels like a departure from the base game, but the temples contain very little content, you have the same 3 traps repeated over and over, and that's about it. Building pig villages is pointless from a survival standpoint, guard towers are the only structure of any value.

So temple exploration is a bust, and town building is largely pointless, the two entire points of the DLC.

Actually, one of the biggest reasons I love SW so much IS because the world is so big and has vast amount of ocean that seperate the interesting islands. It just speaks to me much more when you cant explore the entire map in 10 days. SW similar to Hamlet makes the world much much bigger and stranded-in-the-middle-of-nowhere feel is just better realized (for me at least). I wouldnt even say Hamlets ruins or pig cities are uninteresting to explore but the problems I mentioned above makes them fade fast. 

SW and Hamlet clearly have some gameplay issues that could be fleshed out or tweeked but I can excuse a lot of them when the immersion is so rock solid (more in SW than Hamlet for me).

Interesting ideas but I feel like the very concept of the "room" structure is what holds them down. So just adding more stuff to them may not solve the problem.

Overall, it's ...fun? it adds an amazing collection of new art, features, music and sounds, but the core gameplay seems rushed and incomplete, and I don't at all think it's because of 'laziness', (IMO) it seems like a genuine budget concern.

I fully agree.

This is kind of ironic considering that almost every single thread here eventuelly boils down to yet another rant about Klei and Hamlet (seriously just scroll through some of the most recent ones). Sunset Skype, I and others left because the same things were repeated over and over again. Another reason was because some peoples forum etiquette and behaviour was seriously lacking. In my case MWY (among others) were straightup attacking and assaulting me and other friends here and in PMs just for voicing opinions that didnt fit with theirs. It wasnt like we werent trying to get to common grounds either. We explained our positions and thoughts but most of what we got was resentment and more personal attacks. You also cant deny that there is hardly any topics or subjects posted here that spark discussion or talk about ingame mechanics. And even if some of those rare threads pop up, most dont receive any attention or get yet again piled under the same Hamlet rant. While the subreddit of DS isnt perfect, it provides a far better supply of game content and discussion than the forums here. So accusing the subreddit of the very thing that happens here is kind of laughable. I would love if the traffic here got better but I dont have high hopes.

On 28.12.2019 at 5:03 PM, Crimson Chin said:

I completely agree with you here but this has been stated and been brought up like a thousand times. This isnt new and frankly I think some of the basic design choices (see above) are too blame for the just above average feel of Hamlet rather than just that.

No matter how you feel about Hamlet, saying that it wasn't rushed/abandoned at this point would be denying the facts. Content was promised and simply not delivered. Joe even said in another thread.. that they didn't plan on fixing any remaining bugs or anything, so its not even going to be polished. I don't think anyone upset about how Hamlet was handled were simply just being "salty", as someone implied in this thread. And for the unfortunate group of people who weren't around to receive the free copy, I could definitely understand this feeling like a slap to the face, ehhh.. not to mention that this was the most expensive DLC. All I'm saying is that the disappointment/frustration was reasonable, and something that I can understand. In the end, I too feel that Hamlet is enjoyable enough, but it could have been so much more.

Frustration to a degree is certainly of but I think some people seriously blow this thing out of proportion. It is not like Hamlet was a complete unplayable mess like Fallout 76 or something. It just just above average and a bit of a missed opportunity to refine it better. Nothing more, nothing less. Enjoy Hamlet for what it is or if it doesnt fit your shoe try to settle for other DLCs or DST. But people are still complaining A YEAR its release and refuse to drop the ball on this. Here some go even so far as to attack Klei on their own forum or harshly attack others who dont join in this bandwagon and would rather just move on. I mean really what do those people that still complain actually hope to achive? With that attitude nothing much will happen anyway, that is for sure.

Wouldnt you say that this has been going on for too long and we should just rather look for a more lively forum presence now?

Ironically, the one coming off as unfriendly here is you. Seeing a senior member of the forums discourage discussion like this is incredibly disheartening. Its also disappointing that you would simply write off these people as just being "salty" instead of trying to understand why so many were upset by this. Try and consider where the people you are disagreeing with are coming from, rather than focusing on antagonizing/villainizing them like this. Empathy can go a long way and lead to some friendly discussions. :D

Yes it is dishearting to see this but frankly at this point that is exactly what it is. Many were sad that Hamlet didnt turn out to be more but most of them have moved on and accepted Hamlet for what it is. A group of people that to this day bring up their disapointment every week in a thread just seems "salty" to me or at atleast they cant let it rest.

Sunset Syke also doesnt discourage discussion on the game, he just discourages it here. Sure it shouldnt be the goal to move people from the forums to reddit but frankly there is a much much better discussion going on than here. You were also around when people like Sunset Skye and me made attempts to bridge the gap between the two sides but you know how it turned out. We tried to make the other side understand our point and discussed the points of the other side but most of the discussion did turn out badly with insults and attacks.

On 29.12.2019 at 3:49 AM, Roosev said:

You can always make the argument that maybe they've simply decided to scrap the content because they've ran out of time or because they couldn't do it. But they didn't. They've simply released the game. They should've communicated to us (you know, the people who paid them to complete the game) that the plans have changed. They would've avoided the ****-show that way. They should've been more transparent with their consumer base.

I agree that Klei did make some bad decisions regarding the communication with fans and lifetime of the game project but I really dont think there were such big reasons that some turned it in a ****show. Irritating, yes but it shouldnt have turned out this bad.

On 29.12.2019 at 1:45 PM, ansuman said:

I am not salty that it doesn't have enough content or its bad but rather over the fact that whatever was added is not polished and balanced.

Are you going to ignore the fact that many mobs dont drop anything or some drops have no uses:

Like the giant grub, platapine quill or the antler dont have any use other than the BFB horn which you dont require many.

Or food recipes(bugs) being entirely non-renewable however slow it may be like gummy slugs, bean-bugs

Also, mobs getting wiped out like pea-gawks in a few days with no mechanism of respawn.

Easily cheesing starts like destroying the bank and rebuilding.

Also, some basic features are missing like new set pieces, the transformation of Ro-bin etc

There is nothing wrong with being slightly disapointed that Hamlet wasnt more but some of those complains really arent big enough of a problem to concern oneself longterm. I think we can still sleep well even when giant grubs dont drop a special item. If those tiny unpolished things are enough of a reason to leave the DLC behind then maybe the core gameplay loop of Hamlet itself is the road block.

I took a risk to post here again. Please dont disapoint me forum people and respond more reasonable than the last year. Thanks for reading and happy new year to you all.

I am not satisfied with Hamlet. Devs did not prepare for the work they intended to do and now we have a DLC with a few fun and original, but (arguably) not well developed ideas. The DLC is cheap (in comparison to DLCs of different games) and can provide a lot of fun, but as a person who followed the progress and updates of Hamlet since its announcement, I am disappointed with how it turned out. It's probably because of my affection to this title and it's why I took the whole situation so personally, I just care about this game, that's why I was always salty on this subforum.

On 11/01/2020 at 7:20 PM, inferjus4 said:

I am not satisfied with Hamlet. Devs did not prepare for the work they intended to do and now we have a DLC with a few fun and original, but (arguably) not well developed ideas. The DLC is cheap (in comparison to DLCs of different games) and can provide a lot of fun, but as a person who followed the progress and updates of Hamlet since its announcement, I am disappointed with how it turned out. It's probably because of my affection to this title and it's why I took the whole situation so personally, I just care about this game, that's why I was always salty on this subforum.

is that also the reason you still have a Toilet as an Profile Picture?

Just like everyone and their mother said: Hamlet is fun and it has a lot of potential, i would say that maybe more than DST but ls obviously unfinished.

On 28/12/2019 at 11:48 AM, Ogrecakes said:

I agree that Reddit is an echo chamber but the place is filled with consoomers that get mad at any type of criticism for whatever-the-subreddit-is, they're very conformist.

18 hours ago, MWY said:

is that also the reason you still have a Toilet as an Profile Picture?

Toilet profile picture was set as a response to Sunset Skye's argument that if I have "triggered" meme as profile picture my opinion doesn't matter, or something like that.

51 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

Wait @inferjus4 I thought you died man its been awhile how are you?

I have somethingfor you

Yeah, I've been absent for a long time. I got a new computer and finally I've been able to play games that require something more than potato to run, but I think I will soon come back to Don't Starve and try it out once again.

Archived