Hook, Line and Inker

Features you'd want to see in RoT?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your top 3 you'd like to see:

This upcoming update sounds like it's focused on fishing, which would be a welcome addition. I wonder what the narrative is going to be, considering there hasn't been much lore in RoT thus far. I hope the lunar island gets a cave system, new bosses and new functionality for the ancient gateway. (Also gems should be a rare resource on the islands, seeing as a green gem fell from the moon and gave life to Wormwood. Speaking of Wormwood, the location seen in his cinematic should be a new island/biome.)

I really want new islands.. the sea is so empty right now...

New boats would be nice too. I'd love small and bigger versions of boats with different stats and maybe boats made out of new stuff like dragonfly scales, nightmare fuel, moon glass, ect. with special properties.

18 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

i think that was hamlet

Yes, as indicated by the mobs. It would make sense to see that biome in DST, as it was showcased in a character trailer for DST. Also, before Warly was released, Klei released an image of Warly with a torch in the exact same biome.

Mm, a jungly Hamlet-like island collection or straight up jungle flora overtaking part of the mainland would both be nice...

The Warly preview image along with Wormwood's update did kinda get my hopes up for that. Still think Hamlet/SW assets would be a great way to improve the visual/worldgen variety of DST.

We don’t necessarily need NEW Islands and Mobs as the top priority... they would be very Welcomed Additions of course- but what we REALLY need is for them to slowly begin to port almost every Enemy type from Shipwrecked, Hamlet, Forge & Gorge into the main game in Addition to The NEW Biomes & Mobs.

3DE2E3E9-6ADF-4460-B305-10D00135CBA1.gif

11 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

We don’t necessarily need NEW Islands and Mobs as the top priority... they would be very Welcomed Additions of course- but what we REALLY need is for them to slowly begin to port almost every Enemy type from Shipwrecked, Hamlet, Forge & Gorge into the main game in Addition to The NEW Biomes & Mobs.

The appeal of RoT is all of the new content, though. It would be so out of place if the regular DST world had tropical SW mobs, rainforest-themed Hamlet mobs, armored Forge mobs, and... well, pebble crabs might fit okay somewhere, but that's honestly one of the very few I think would fit outside of their world.

I don't want RoT to become Tropical Experience, with tons of unfitting DLC and event content thrown in and bloating the regular world.

4 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

The appeal of RoT is all of the new content, though. It would be so out of place if the regular DST world had tropical SW mobs, rainforest-themed Hamlet mobs, armored Forge mobs, and... well, pebble crabs might fit okay somewhere, but that's honestly one of the very few I think would fit outside of their world.

I don't want RoT to become Tropical Experience, with tons of unfitting DLC and event content thrown in and bloating the regular world.

I was thinking more along the lines of there’s a Boat in the game now which Just like the new Totally NOT fitting into the rest of DST Lunar Island Biome.. that there would be other Themed Islands added in as well, stuff to fill out the otherwise empty and Vast ocean areas.

19 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I was thinking more along the lines of there’s a Boat in the game now which Just like the new Totally NOT fitting into the rest of DST Lunar Island Biome.. that there would be other Themed Islands added in as well, stuff to fill out the otherwise empty and Vast ocean areas.

Pretty sure that's the point? The chunk of the moon has just cut off and landed in the Constant bringing possibly a whole new magic seperate from shadow magic. The other stuff you mentioned are from other realms and wouldnt really work lore wise if they were made as Islands to travel to...

15 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Pretty sure that's the point? The chunk of the moon has just cut off and landed in the Constant bringing possibly a whole new magic seperate from shadow magic. The other stuff you mentioned are from other realms and wouldnt really work lore wise if they were made as Islands to travel to...

For once I wish people would stop trying to turn a video game into a book and look at it as a Video Game, I don’t understand why new island biomes wouldn’t fit into the game, not only that but I live in ALABAMA but if I took a boat across the ocean To HAWAII I assure you’d I’d be in a very different looking Tropical environment or if I hop a boat to ALASKA.. you get the idea.

Unless the constant has to continue to remain very basic and boring for some silly Lore Reason, I see literally no logical explanation why they can’t add some new or ported over biomes to the game not for LORE purpose but for GAMEPLAY Purpose, new mobs, new stuff to do.. new crafting items. I see Islands being no differently then Lunar Island or Caves. They’re very different areas compared to the main land.

Let us Also not forget that Warly who lives inside this Alternate Realm you speak of in the Shipwrecked DLC was added to DST and they explained his sudden Appearance as Washing up on Shore, Implying that the Ocean does indeed extend to Shipwrecked Locations and probably even beyond that. -shrugs- 

Ultimately it’s up to Klei on How much or how little they want to add to the game.

@Mike23Ua - I think is more a matter of Constant's scale and what type of climate it seems to emanate in general: that being a somewhat temperate climate and a pretty small-to-medium scale, enough to not have drastic transitions (tropical elements) on what one would expect from a medium scale temperate environment. Think at the typical Constant macro-island broadly being homologous to a landmass like Great Britain. Yes, I know, realism vs a cartoony video games, yet the analogy stands. So in a temperate climate with some oceanic influences you have a piece of the "Moon" - aka a totally alien landscape and all - falling to the Sea. Yes, would be vastly different from what you can find in that Constant, but you have a story/lore to back that up. Now factorize those Tropical Islands you mentioned from SW - how would they fit in the pretty medium-scale setup of Constant? If they were so close in beginning some climatic (hurricanes, monsoons) and flora/fauna (special birds migrating, tropical seeds plus plants growing on shores and whatnot) influence from them should had felt a long time ago. The point am trying to convey is, by this time in game's theoretical history, if SW elements would pop sporadically on current ocean, it would feel out of place, not in tune with the general perceivable scale and type of climate Constant seems to have. Sure some retconning could modify this, but again, would feel somewhat forced.

On the other hand if we have new type of Islands more on-the-line of Temperate climate (perhaps even with some Arctic influence like a Tundra-type biome/island) or hybrids with the Lunar elements, that would certainly be expected; as the "Moon" meteor impacting Constant's ocean surely exposed more landmass from its bottom as well as access to preexisting smaller landmasses (micro-islands).

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

For once I wish people would stop trying to turn a video game into a book and look at it as a Video Game, I don’t understand why new island biomes wouldn’t fit into the game, not only that but I live in ALABAMA but if I took a boat across the ocean To HAWAII I assure you’d I’d be in a very different looking Tropical environment or if I hop a boat to ALASKA.. you get the idea.

Unless the constant has to continue to remain very basic and boring for some silly Lore Reason, I see literally no logical explanation why they can’t add some new or ported over biomes to the game not for LORE purpose but for GAMEPLAY Purpose, new mobs, new stuff to do.. new crafting items. I see Islands being no differently then Lunar Island or Caves. They’re very different areas compared to the main land.

Let us Also not forget that Warly who lives inside this Alternate Realm you speak of in the Shipwrecked DLC was added to DST and they explained his sudden Appearance as Washing up on Shore, Implying that the Ocean does indeed extend to Shipwrecked Locations and probably even beyond that. -shrugs- 

Ultimately it’s up to Klei on How much or how little they want to add to the game.

the problem with porting is quite simple, why would klei do it?

they would decrease peoples chances of buying the original along with wasting time and money. the only way it would make sense from a buisness standpoint is if they charged for it and that would force them to go back on their word and potentially anger fans

I would agree with you if you can explain off one thing, if you can explain this and it make sense, I will no longer Request Shipwrecked and Hamlet themed Content Biomes, But if you CAN’T then I have every right to continue to request SW/Hamlet themed Island Biomes, and yes by this logic they will all fit into the Atmosphere and Lore of DST.

Warly is from Don’t Starve Shipwrecked, Wormwood is from Don’t Starve Hamlet.

While no Explanation is provided on how Wormwood arrives from Hamlet into DST, they DID Explain Warly as having washed up on shore.

implying that in theory we could hop a boat and travel to Shipwrecked themed Biomes.

The thing I want a perfectly logical explanation to is how Warly and Wormwood arrived in DST from SW and Hamlet?

34 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I would agree with you if you can explain off one thing, if you can explain this and it make sense, I will no longer Request Shipwrecked and Hamlet themed Content Biomes, But if you CAN’T then I have every right to continue to request SW/Hamlet themed Island Biomes, and yes by this logic they will all fit into the Atmosphere and Lore of DST.

Warly is from Don’t Starve Shipwrecked, Wormwood is from Don’t Starve Hamlet.

While no Explanation is provided on how Wormwood arrives from Hamlet into DST, they DID Explain Warly as having washed up on shore.

implying that in theory we could hop a boat and travel to Shipwrecked themed Biomes.

The thing I want a perfectly logical explanation to is how Warly and Wormwood arrived in DST from SW and Hamlet?

We don't really know, there was this nice theory by @Canis of how all the worlds are connected

Also, gotta remember that Charlie is in charge and who knows what she might have done to the Hamlets and Shipwrecked worlds.

This is a lot of "Ifs", but it's the best answer I can give really.

33 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I can go to India; will take a long time, but I can - even on foot or via boat.

Can an Indian tropical monsoon come to me? (am living in a continental-temperate climate area, far-far away from India)

A person can travel around the world. Warly plus Wormwood certainly fill that bill. Seeds and animals from one specific (climatic) area usually can't do so. Thus is that simple.

Again, as I've pointed: you can have *magically* some SW Islands in current DST setup. Would feel out of place, at least in the beginning and in relation to how we perceive Archipelago, Constant and Hamlet, yet in the end is Klei's choice and what they say is lore - they're the authors. There aren't some hard-established rules in all this to begin with so... everything's possible.

19 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

A person can travel to a new Area Seeds and animals from one specific (climatic) area usually can't do so. Thus is that simple.

This is Correct- Except for the fact that while playing as Maxwell and Examining a Redbird his Exact Quote on it is: 

“They come from the Firelands”

a direct hint that SOMEWHERE out there in the Constant is a Lava-like Fire Biome.. where they’re common birds in that Area. We the players... just have yet to uncover it.

19 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This is Correct- Except for the fact that while playing as Maxwell and Examining a Redbird his Exact Quote on it is: 

“They come from the Firelands”

a direct hint that SOMEWHERE out there in the Constant is a Lava-like Fire Biome.. where they’re common birds in that Area. We the players... just have yet to uncover it.

they migrate

Archived