Babel Tower. Please read it.

I have read and found some conflicts here in the forum because of the languages spoken by users. I propose that non-English speakers put something that identifies this at the beginning or end of the text. Like "BR: I wonder ...?" or "Wanted to know ...?" by SL33PW4LK from Brazil. What about? Opinions?

20 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Even if you are a native speaker, people will snap at you for mostly anything here. :)

is the syndrome is bigger than yours.

no matter how much better you do a "smart guy" will do it and say that your are trash because his produces 1g more than yours,
but aside from these "smart guys" the people here is a love, just like the pokeshells, just beware of the season of reproduction......

2 hours ago, SL33PW4LK said:

I have read and found some conflicts here in the forum because of the languages spoken by users. I propose that non-English speakers put something that identifies this at the beginning or end of the text. Like "BR: I wonder ...?" or "Wanted to know ...?" by SL33PW4LK from Brazil. What about? Opinions?

senão ficou claro, hu3 hu3 aqui, é nois

Just to make a completely irrelevant comment, while watching some dubbed anime one time, it came up with some subtitles, which I read and couldn't understand, because it was Japaneses text written in English.  On closer inspection, I realised I was really tired and it was just plain English that I'd read really badly.

I think this is unsolvable. Some people just desperately want to feel superior and will use any and all pretexts to put somebody down. Spelling and Grammar Nazis are the worst, because they have nothing relevant to say. 

BTW, what language should I use as base-language if I am located in Switzerland? Official languages here are German (well, sort of), French and Italian and working language for mixed teams is English. I am German native speaker (but not the local version), can get buy in an emergency in French and can insult people in Italian, so all valid candidates.

@Gurgel Some day I'll learn a language.  Any language.  I'm always impressed by individuals who can carry out a conversation in multiple languages.  

I can't even speak Spanish, which is holding be back from work because of the migrant influx.  Though I am getting fairly good at grunting and gesturing until my idea gets across... mebbe I'm part neanderthal, @Craigjw.  Occasionally I can't understand English either. =^.^=

Anyway!  I try my best to avoid arguing with others on the forums.  Communication isn't easy when you can't see another's facial expressions or hear their tone of voice, even when its in your native language.  Something said jokingly can appear as cruel without the correct context.  Unfortunately there are also individuals who thrive on controversy and will probably point out exactly how many grammatical errors I made within this post.

While i guess it is not strictly enforced; the forum's official language is English (from the guidelines page)

Language: Users are expected to communicate in English while using our services and support. Services include things like our websites, social media pages, support systems, blogs and forums. We’re an English based company, and as much as we’d love to help you in Swahili, Klingon or some other language, we work best in English. In the event that additional language services are deemed appropriate, these services will be made available when Klei Entertainment has the ability to offer support in these languages.

I am not a native speaker, but i find the official language as English good, as it is a common language we can all use to communicate. I think for things such as solidarity in finding a fellow of the same nation; a couple posts not in English is fine. But discussions in another language is not fair because other people cannot participate in them.

Was there an issue about people getting polluted dirt for using another language?

People who attack non-English speakers for not speaking English properly can be readily ignored in this context.  There is no reason to attack people for bad English in a global community.  Sometimes the posts read a little weird, but that's fine as long as it can be understood.  Let's see the critics coherently post in Portuguese.

I don't think you need to tag your posts as a non-native English speaker.  If you want to, you can put it in your signature.  Then it appears on every post you make.

7 hours ago, Zarquan said:

People who attack non-English speakers for not speaking English properly can be readily ignored in this context.  There is no reason to attack people for bad English in a global community.  Sometimes the posts read a little weird, but that's fine as long as it can be understood.  Let's see the critics coherently post in Portuguese.

Well, some people always look for ways to elevate themselves above others and this is one of the more dishonest ones, because nobody gets a choice as to what their first language will be. I fully agree that these peoples should be ignored, they are not trying to communicate on merit, they are trying to claim they are better than others on formality. In my experience, these people rarely have anything worthwhile to say anyways. 

I don't think tagging yourself as non-native speaker will be doing any good here. These people already have identified you as somehow worth less than they are and that is not going to go away if you just (in their eyes) admit to that.  

On 28.10.2019 at 2:20 AM, SL33PW4LK said:

Oozie from germany likes your suggestion very much, because Salzbretzel and Schnitzelhaus are not related to Oachkatzlschwoaf!

If someone write something that is not grammatically correct you can safely assume that English is not his or her first language. No need to ask people to point that out at the end of the post. A huge part of this community have English as 2d or 3d language (including myself).

It would be easier for me to reply på Svenska som är mitt modersmål, A bit harder pero possiblé para mi responder en español.  And I am really glad I don't have to write my replies in german since Ich preche ein bischen aber ich habe viele schwierigkeit mit der, die, das unt alle grammatik

2 minutes ago, Ketmol said:

If someone write something that is not grammatically correct you can safely assume that English is not his or her first language. No need to ask people to point that out at the end of the post. A huge part of this community have English as 2d or 3d language (including myself).

Being a native English speaker, I kind of disagree that that assumption can be made. There's a ton of us Americans that are terrible at grammar and/or have incorporated the absolute worst parts of the internet and texting into their written words... 

I work with a guy from Germany who, while his accent is fairly thick, speaks mush better English than half of the native speaking employees. 

And I agree, no need to mention what a person's native language(s) is. If the point is clear through grammar errors, great. If it isn't, we can ask clarifying questions to figure out what the poster meant. 

On 2019-10-28 at 4:37 AM, nakomaru said:

Even if you are a native speaker, people will snap at you for mostly anything here. :)

Even if I, by replying to this, validate your thesis on the subject I respectfully disagree.

What people do here, and faster than lightning, is pointing out flaws in your design and what you can do better. I choose to view that as people being helpful

I guess it's a glass half full/ half empty kind of thing...

Or in case you are a cat it is nor full nor empty ..the glass is on the way to the floor....

11 hours ago, Zarquan said:

I don't think you need to tag your posts as a non-native English speaker.  If you want to, you can put it in your signature.  Then it appears on every post you make.

I agree, there no need to tag yourself as a non-native speaker, the ones who attack you for poor grammar would do it regardless of the tag. The report button exists for these people.  

What if you get something wrong, and someone corrects you? Presumably they're doing it hoping that you learn from it, why not take the opportunity? English is my 3rd language and during decades of practice I have always appreciated a correction in my grammar or choice of words, regardless of circumstances. If you're not a native speaker, there's no shame in not being perfect. (Just like there's no shame in not doing things in ONI as well as that other guy who's played it for more years than you have for months.)

For me, life's too short to correct other people's grammar, and I don't think I could, reliably anyway. But if someone who knows better does it, how is that harmful? Are you guys equating this with an "attack"? I haven't been here for very long but I haven't seen anything that would fall into that category. Or, frankly, any drama about proficiency in language. 

14 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Common politeness

Maybe in a professional or social setting. But on the internet, where everything's semi-anonymous, brief and to the point? Just take the 5-second English lesson when offered, and don't think much else about it. It's your benefit after all.

2 hours ago, Ketmol said:

What people do here, and faster than lightning, is pointing out flaws in your design and what you can do better. I choose to view that as people being helpful

We do that too. That's a different, good thing.

It was once worse, but still seems to happen. You can watch us self immolate if they make a big balance change.

Oh its people correcting people's grammar? Yeah there are ways of doing it. Honestly I don't mind it a lot if we all can understand eachother. But do keep posting; many people compliment me on my english and I owe it partially to interacting with forums on the internet.

TBH the forum's don't feel least bit hostile to me. I never seen insults or belittlement. Maybe some other user felt I was doing it to them yesterday, but I think my response was on topic, and not insulting. In general this place feels like a nice playground.

But I don't mind if people are angry on the internet. It shows mole about them than me. Glowing a thicker skin might also me the thing to shoot out for here.

On 10/28/2019 at 12:24 PM, Craigjw said:

Being English, I can speak all languages, it's really easy, just shout louder....

Ah, yes, the old English/American standard technique: English, spoken loudly and slowly enough, will always be understood. If someone seems not to understand, louder and slower. /sarc

5 hours ago, biopon said:

What if you get something wrong, and someone corrects you? Presumably they're doing it hoping that you learn from it, why not take the opportunity? English is my 3rd language and during decades of practice I have always appreciated a correction in my grammar or choice of words, regardless of circumstances. If you're not a native speaker, there's no shame in not being perfect. (Just like there's no shame in not doing things in ONI as well as that other guy who's played it for more years than you have for months.)

For me, life's too short to correct other people's grammar, and I don't think I could, reliably anyway. But if someone who knows better does it, how is that harmful? Are you guys equating this with an "attack"? I haven't been here for very long but I haven't seen anything that would fall into that category. Or, frankly, any drama about proficiency in language. 

I read the forum for some time and avoid posting. yes there are several situations where people have come into unpolished conflict due to misunderstanding of language. In general the person who originally spoke the language was not expert enough to realize that the wrong way for the other to express himself was because of this difference.

Archived