Canis    8,033
Just now, Steeles4500 said:

The character balance point is moot because wicker and wolf has been in the game for years and are far better then any of the new players, thats why they need reworked anyway.

Game has always been pretty easy once you figure things out, id be down for harder setting but i dont think this is a result of what klei has been doing recently rather then just the way the game always was. Its always been hard to starve and combat has always been easy, ever since i got started back in RoG.

Please note the fact that whenever the thread talks about the characters being too easy, it's specifically talking about new/reworked ones.

• Thanks 1

__IvoCZE__    5,908
48 minutes ago, Canis said:

Have a closed beta branch available to a select few trusted veterans within the community (the klei forums), chosen by Klei. In this branch, said veterans are able to test out the new character/mechanic/whatever and give Klei feedback. If these people give the beta code to other people, or leak the contents of the closed beta, they should be punished. (For example: If you willingly leak contents in the closed beta, your klei account could get temporarily suspended for, say, a month. Also, you'd lose access to the closed beta.)

What's the difference between this closed beta and a public beta?:
-The Veteran Closed Beta has much fewer people playtesting, however these people have been playing DST for a very long time, meaning that Klei would get more precise and useful feedback, and less non-helpful feedback.
-Veterans are part of the community, and are not Klei staff, meaning that they are well aware of the intricate details of what people want, and know what will spark drama. In addition, they can be used as a "safety net" of sorts to prevent problematic mechanics and aspects before it reaches a public build, saving time.
-Veterans have a clear vision on what "balanced" means in terms of Don't Starve Together, and are above the "Skill Level Plateau", meaning that they are easily able to grasp new mechanics, and apply them to normal gameplay, which is a good trait to have in terms of playtesters.
-A good portion of the veteran community wants to see DST be a better game as a whole, meaning that most of them are willing to happily volunteer their time and effort for Klei, without the need of a paycheck.

To be transparent, here are some possible downsides to this idea that should be considered:
-Veterans are not Klei employees, and they may be a liability depending on the person. (Such as leaking content early.)
-If they dont have a deadline, people will playtest on their own time. If they do have a deadline, it's possible that they'll be unable to playtest.

In addition, for things like Character Updates, Klei can seek after veterans that main that character, since their thoughts are arguably more important than anyone else's.

Is this because I bought dst like a month after it came out of EA? why canis, my dude, are hurting me?

breath-in-boi-27541472.png

Edited by __IvoCZE__
  • Thanks 1

Canis    8,033
3 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Please do not try to speak for an entire community. As a "veteran" that's been playing the game since 2015, I do not agree with the suggestions in this thread especially not a "veteran beta".

I don't understand why there are so many threads like this, when this is how Don't Starve as a series has always been. DST is not a game that's made to be constantly difficult, it's a game with a very high learning curve that leads to a low difficulty plateau. Once you get the game mechanics down, once you learn how to play the game, its difficulty is not high. After you reach that plateau, it's up to you to figure out what you find fun. For me, that fun tends to come from experimenting with non-traditional food sources and underused items. If it turns out that the only thing you found fun is that learning curve... I'm sorry to say, but it's okay for you to move on to another game. You don't have to play DST forever.

I say "The Don't Starve Together Community" because this thread was backed up by several veterans of DST, not just me. However, this specifically was made in the rough draft at 11 PM, so I'll change it.

Edited by Canis
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

Canis    8,033
Just now, __IvoCZE__ said:

Im also a technically a veteran and I don't like this, can you list the ''several veterans of DST'' outside le fabled kekistan (aka EDGY RICK DISCORD?)

This actually would've been true if he didn't have his Discord set to private /s

• Haha 1

Varum    29

I tottaly agree for having a difficult mode. Since the beginnings of DST, the game was more easy than the solo version because of the ease to revive people. 

For the difficulty curve, yes the game need a new difficulty threshold. My hope are thst the new content will be more and more difficult.  The last update added the queen bee, klaus, fuelwaver and the toadstoold that are difficult boss. So I think more challenging boss nd content are coming !

For your worries about what is going next. I can understand it. However equilibrate a character is hard and need a lot of test and the tight schedule they fix doesn't help. However Hlhow they listen to the community and correct they update are very good. 

Concerning Woodie, he is still a lumberjack and living close to the wood. He becomes more "druidic" but keep is connexion with the forest. I played a lot woodie in the solo  version but not on together because of the lost of utility of the wereveaver form , notably the lost of the armor. I find the new woodie more interesting in term of gameplay. I guess klei are looking to add new possible action to all character and not just changing number. 

In addition, I am still waiting with great hope in DST 

shipwreck and hamlet 

An adventure mode 

Unlockable character 

• Like 2

reverentsatyr    2,273

I do agree that I don't like that the game is getting easier. In my opinion, most of the character reworks are fun, but end in an over-powerful and broken mess.

Edited by reverentsatyr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

maciu67    323

The don't starve phases can be divided into several stages [something like this is the basis of Hindu philosophy and assumes that the world works in loops (but the world is really a sine wave)]:

Diamond Stage: First Autumn

Gold Stage: First Winter, Walruses, Deerclops, The beggining of spring.

Silver Stage: Rest of spring, Moose/Goose Lunar Island

Copper Stage: Summer, Antlion (male of course), Full base, Cave exploration

Iron Stage: All powerful bosses

Stone stage: Fuelweaver, Toadstool, Ruins reset

Wood Stage: Late game

The end

I think that gam needs something like catastrophe which would reset this meter back to the Diamond Stage.

1 hour ago, Canis said:

Terraria

I'm glad you mentioned this @Canis because Terraria found this catastrophe. It is Hardmode. After player saw every surface and underground biomes, killed all pre-hardmode enemies and made mayority of pre-hardmode items game is in wood stage, but then the player can deal with the Wall of Flesh and we have hardmode, the new Diamond stage. We now have new dangerous biome in the world (Hallow), Crimson/Corruption are more destructive, we have new enemies etc...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

Pop Guy    3,306

I think we really need new mechanics: thirst, poisoning, radically different management of health... (it breaks a bit the immersion in the survival atomsphere, if you be able to cure hunger damage with a plaster...)
However, DST is getting better, I wouldn't call it downhill. Only that it is improving little and very slowly. Klei could definitely do a lot more, I'm sure. (The Forge and The Gorge, for example; New Golden Age)

Edited by Pop Guy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

359368170    736

Would You mind Let me translate it into Chinese and publish that on Chinese Forums?

I 'll explain that you are the author.

Chinese players want to Know different voices.

• Thanks 1

Brago-sama    1,207
1 minute ago, 359368170 said:

Would You mind Let me translate it into Chinese and publish that on Chinese Forums?

I 'll explain that you are the author.

Chinese players want to Know different voices.

You got a link to these forums? I'd love to see the other side of the grass when it comes to this games community/ideas

• Like 1

359368170    736
1 hour ago, Canis said:

In this branch, said veterans are able to test out the new character/mechanic/whatever and give Klei feedback.

I think that will be very helpful If it can be achieved.

Superwolfkid    265

Hi, I know I might not be much to this conversation, especially since I first bought this game in 2014/2015 on the psvita and currently playing the game on ps4 ever since dont starve together originally came out on ps4. But I would like to add my own touch too the difficulty of the game. I think it might be for the fact that our characters have gotten used to in settled into the constant more, giving based on the vibes and atmosphere dont starve together feels. Notice how the atmosphere and changes to the game is now for example the music and events. Were no longer in the time were wilson was just tossed into the constant being chased and murdered by every little thing that can suprise him anymore, it's more just the characters now adapted. The autumn music was changed to a more orchestral and serious, motivational type of style then the classic eerie and mysterious music. And like I said before the events, instead of the characters cowering in fear and being afraid of everything they before, now there dressing up in costumes shaped as the creatures they battled, celebrating celebrating feast eve, And even participating with the pig king to have a friendly battle to win gold. Heck! Notice how brave and cocky the characters are now with their quotes with wilson responding to a deadly half dragon/fly mutant "that's one fly dragon." The characters are evolving, there no longer scared! They finally grown, just like us! There now more into the environment from being there for so long. And they're going out to see new things. In the hamlet trailers we've seen Wilson in literal fear in one scene with him panicking. And from when we see him in the turn of tides trailer. (Despite the fact he's literally fighting a hound for a slab of meat)

He didn't really over react, just simply panicked as a massive wave was coming his way, even on the lunar island he just responded nervously then our usual, "I gotta get out of here!" Old type of wilson is

But what I'm saying here is, maybe dont starve together being less terrifying and more relaxing isn't just a game play point of view, maybe look at it better with a story view, our characters grew up, and learnt to deal with the constant. (hopefully you know what I meant by writing this, I'm horrible at writing so, I hope everyone gets my point!)

359368170    736
4 minutes ago, Brago-sama said:

You got a link to these forums? I'd love to see the other side of the grass when it comes to this games community/ideas

Sure. If you don't mind Chinese Language.

https://t.bilibili.com/topic/260652/feed

https://tieba.baidu.com/f?ie=utf-8&kw=饥荒游戏

By the way I am the administrator of 饥荒游戏吧.

Edited by 359368170
  • Thanks 1