Cooling without slush, cold biome or AETN

I have a seed with quite a few steam vents but I have been unable to find any naturally occurring cooling opportunities. Most cooling blueprints I've used in the past or looked up use a slush geyser or AETN or wheezeworts in some capacity to either cool the geyser itself or cool something, like hydrogen, that is then used to cool the geyser. I've also not yet found a cold biome or an AETN. I've looked around the map quite a bit but it's becoming difficult to do because the commutes are becoming quite long and I'm starting to run out of algae. I was able to find a hot polluted oxygen vent but I need a way to cool it down. I know there are aquatuners and thermo regulators but you have to cool those too so they do not break down. Any advice for how to move to an oxygen producer that won't overheat my base?

TL;DR: How do you cool things down without naturally occurring cooling opportunities (i.e. slush geyser, cold biome, AETN)?

Hello there!

Well, there are some options (not quite effective and pretty annoying in my opinion) that can help you in early and mid game:

1 - Build an ice machine and use it in order to produce ice. Use the ice to build ice tempshift plates on the top of the building you want to cool down or even on top of your water tank. When it melts the water will provide a limited cooling effect.

2 - Use places out of your living and farm area as a heat sink. As simple as it is this is the option I dislike the most. You can collect the heat with a gas or liquid and when you feel that's too hot to be in the main base just pump it out. This path means many provisory pipes and a trash can enviroment that will be full at some point. Insulating your base is a must if this area isn't far enough.

3 - Whezeworts can still be used even being currently pretty weak. Wild worts are indicated if you have many of them available, know how to use Pips and need a closed system. Tamed worts are better for local cooling but they cost phosphorite as fertilization and dupe time. Well, you don't seem to have those.

4 - Steam Turbine - This is the most indicated. Aquatuner + Steam Turbine. This one is a very powerful setup but not as early/mid game as the others. You need plastic and steel. Can be spammed everywhere. Costly, hard to to set, overpowered. You'll need at least a couple of them at least per map if you wanna go endgame.

You can also dump heat into polluted water (cooling loops or via aquatuner) and feed that hot water to pincha peppernut. Insulate the area and you can delete lots of heat. 

I had some success with using lumber for cooling however you will have to set up loops and ideally run it through metal tiles. Not too amazing at sucking up heat but always "spawns in" at 20C.

Besides that obviously aquatuner, turbine is great. Dumping heat into x liquid and dealing with it later also seems underutilized to me in early game. 

5 - dump heat from an aqua tuner into the exhaust from your power plant and vent superheated exhaust into space.

This is a low-tech solution that can be built with around two tons of refined metal. (And you only really need the refined metal 2 build a wall that will keep voles out of your base)

if you dislike steam turbine(me a bit)
you could try heat deletion,i currently dump my hatch farm above hot water,since they pop their egg at fix temp(i remember someone do the math it was reallllllly good if you max out the heat deletion factor on critter),they die as meat and ate by dupe.
more buggy way was heat up fert/agle turn to dirt tile and super heat it to sand finally dig it out for more mass deletion.

i going to play mostly mass deletion in my current base(once I unlock the super sustain achievement....)as a protest of only having steam turbine cooling now :D.

1 hour ago, evenflow58 said:

TL;DR: How do you cool things down without naturally occurring cooling opportunities (i.e. slush geyser, cold biome, AETN)?

Ice maker.  People look down on it around these parts because it doesn't scale to their industrial-sized crazy automated contraptions (see also: the above "early game" steam vent taming with a mere three turbines and an aquatuner), but it provides more than enough cooling for your base.  Although ice makers only process 30 kg at a time, if you feed them the same hot water you should be using for research, that's 115C worth of cooling per errand.  Don't use the fan, it only warms the ice back up to 5C so it needs much more labor for much less cooling.

Put an ice maker or three in a hot biome above your base, with a hamster wheel and a battery for power.  Don't worry about insulating it, heat rises so you'll never see it.  Put the ice in a storage compactor in a melt pond just above your base.  Don't insulate that either, you want your base heat to rise.  Place a pump a tile up to pump the warmed overflow water to bristle blossoms.  Eventually, insulate the bottom of your base so that only base heat is warming the water.

If you NEED cooling NOW for your food, make a mealwood farm using planters in an insulated box and melt ice along the floor, with a storage compactor on one end and a mesh tile drain on the other.  You can also quickly cool a bristle farm using a one-tile gap below them for drainage.

Trying...

Spoiler

struggling in fact :)

to reproduce your nice setup @MorsDux , I wonder if you (or someone else) has a real life ingame photo of this construction?

I'll be delighted to have a screenshot of the electricity and automation. The video is not very convenient for this.

I know it's basic, but I wwonder if I can get away with conductive wire bridge across wall and heavy watt wire inside. Since conductive wire bridge does not display a watt limit (so... 3 * 850W steam turbine is ok?)

While I'm at it, why cooling only 1 1/2 steam turbine (and not all 3)? Cost effectiveness? Water gets hot quickly?

Thanks in advance !

2 hours ago, Mullematsch said:

You can also dump heat into polluted water (cooling loops or via aquatuner) and feed that hot water to pincha peppernut. Insulate the area and you can delete lots of heat. 

I had some success with using lumber for cooling however you will have to set up loops and ideally run it through metal tiles. Not too amazing at sucking up heat but always "spawns in" at 20C.

Besides that obviously aquatuner, turbine is great. Dumping heat into x liquid and dealing with it later also seems underutilized to me in early game. 

Agreed. Early in the game I dug into the Oil biome, made a big vacuumed space with an abyssalite floor, and dumped all of my steel production heat into crude oil that I dumped inside that perfectly insulated natural reservoir (vacuum above, natural abyssalite below), and it wasn't until hundreds of cycles later that I actually went and dealt with that heat.

3 hours ago, Argelle said:

I wwonder if I can get away with conductive wire bridge across wall

Spoiler

image.png.b2ac70709d97e3ec8bb9077ca453532e.png

Missing max power information on all types of power bridges, but it is same as their wire counterpart.

Ranked in approximate rate of heat deletion at a normal scale from high to low, only talking the actual heat deletion and not how you pull heat out of what needs to be cooled (generally an aquatuner cooling polluted water in a room of steam or ethanol for around base temps):

1. Heat up materials a lot, send the liquid/gas into space
  2. Heat up dirt or regolith and feed to very cold shove voles
  3. Exploit a bug with certain materials (vitamin chews, lumber, etc., but pokeshell molts offer highest capacity) where they reset temperature on moving out of large storage quantities
  4. Steam turbine
  5. Heating up materials and feeding to cold critters that are a bit less hungry than the ridiculousness of shove voles
  6. Heat up polluted water and feed to a bunch of thimble reeds
  7. AETN (included as a reference)
  8. Most other options for heating things up and feeding to plants
  9. Electrolyze hot water
  10. Heat up hydrogen, send to hydrogen generator (note that this can be combined with electrolysis as it also provides oxygen to pull heat out of, so a SPOM offers pretty good heat deletion that emits cold breathing air if set up right)
  11. Heat up eggs/critters to abuse their temperature resets at each life cycle change including death
  12. Domestic wheezeworts in hydrogen
  13. Ice makers
  14. Any other setup of wheezeworts

Now obviously, some of the stuff up top isn't easy. While feeding shove voles cold enough to liquify oxygen mountains of dirt heated by steel aquatuners pushed to their limits sounds awesome, I wouldn't really recommend trying to set it up. Klei will probably patch #3 within the week as well, so #4 is really what you should learn to do. #9 and #10 are fairly easy to setup together (Brothgar recently put out a video on it using trees turned into ethanol and burned for power to provide the water for it) and should be your go-to if you desperately need a cool base but aren't ready for a turbine. #12 used to be easy, but now having dupes provide phosphorite is a...problem even if the drecko ranches keep up, cause you can easily disturb that atmosphere, and some maps don't really have wild wheezes available, so #13 is a good earlygame option if you're dealing with harsh heat conditions.

2 hours ago, Rhogar said:

There is a way to set up a vacuum between heavy watt bridges to negate them as the weak heat xfer link.

and you can do it very easy with the ability to construct in the corner!

tile            tile

bridge       tile      bridge

tile            tile      tile

-----------------------------------------

tile            tile                      tile

bridge       vacuum/wire      bridge

tile            tile                      tile

35 minutes ago, Lutzkhie said:

so ethanol now is the best quick coolant?

No, water beats ethanol for moving heat around because SHC is really the only thing that matters, and since SHC is the same across states of matter, steam beats ethanol as a gas for moving heat around. Ethanol's claim to fame is as follows:

• It has a relatively low boiling point of 79 C, that's still above normal base temperatures, making it nicely controllable for hot room atmospheres.
  • It is much easier to acquire than better options (petroleum, supercoolant) for fluid thermal conductivity; note especially it beats petroleum if you plan to go above 538 C.
  • You will probably want some kind of gaseous atmosphere to boil crude into petroleum, and ethanol is the best option.

2 hours ago, Aelfled said:

I guess this is no more? :/

If you mean ethanol's thermal conductivity, yeah, now it's slightly worse than hydrogen. Since it's about the same conductivity, but lower SHC, it's actually still preferable for a room's atmosphere to distribute heat evenly, provided you don't want wheezes there (you usually want wheezes there unless it's like that heat exchange room Brothgar made in his cold oxygen from lumber video...but petroleum would just be better). Phosphorus now beats it for volcano chambers, and petroleum boiling that doesn't generally end up cold. Salt gas should be tested for volcano taming, as well, now; it's a longshot, but maybe it leads to more stability in the system so you don't end up with too much magma early.

Here is @MorsDux setup in action and in game:

image.thumb.png.b0591d8db67cb55e1c0691f1de55e5ce.png

It took no less than 50 cycles to set up (things like brushing 10 kg of crude oil is fast in debug, but not so in game, it took for ages to get vaccum in there, and my colonie is only big of seven dwa.. dupes). That's a nice experience (second steam set up of all time for me). I abandonned conductive wire all together, too expensive, as heavy wire is cheap, and my dupes are not spending time around it.. let alone inside ;)

1 hour ago, Argelle said:

... I abandonned conductive wire all together, too expensive, as heavy wire is cheap, and my dupes are not spending time around it.. let alone inside ;)

Lead from oil biomes makes conductive wire very cheap, and is preferable for steam turbines over other metals too.

3 hours ago, Argelle said:

Here is @MorsDux setup in action and in game:

image.thumb.png.b0591d8db67cb55e1c0691f1de55e5ce.png

It took no less than 50 cycles to set up (things like brushing 10 kg of crude oil is fast in debug, but not so in game, it took for ages to get vaccum in there, and my colonie is only big of seven dwa.. dupes). That's a nice experience (second steam set up of all time for me). I abandonned conductive wire all together, too expensive, as heavy wire is cheap, and my dupes are not spending time around it.. let alone inside ;)

If you use heavy watt wires make sure to double the joint plate and vacuum it out to avoid massive heat leakage. 

Once you are over 1-2 setups that need vacuuming and oil etc. It will be much less effort to do. I go with much more than 7 dupes so its only 5-6 cycles to make a turbine setup. 

Archived