Please fix the Atmos Suit delivering. It can bring down a colony.

There is a big issues here.  If a duplicant drops a suit off at another location, and there is one needed at another checkpoint, no one ever picks it up and delivers that suit to the other check point.  Because you "have" to wear the suit to pass the checkpoint. 

Please make it where suppliers can pick up the suit itself at the checkpoint, and bring it to another atmos suit stand that has "Deliver Suit" checked.  That deliver suit option is useless unless this can be done.

This is becoming increasingly annoying, especially when you are being very careful with your base, and you can't mess up.  And one dock not letting someone through can destroy an entire colony in this game easily.

Please consider changing the way this works, as it stands now, it doesn't work too well. 

Or make something like "allowable paths" so you can tell the duplicants who is "allowed" to go to the checkpoint to pick up a suit. Or have it where you can exchange the suit from one location to another.  This NEEDS a fix. 

3 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Does Clearance: Always do what you are looking for?

No, that doesn't do what you think it does.  That means, that the person will drop a suit down on the ground even if there is an Atmos suit station not available for recharging.  That's it.  And yes, there would be reasons why you would want that on or off.  As it stands now, this system is broken. 

Clearance: Vacancy Only setting was added specifically to deal with multiple checkpoints servicing an area. If there is no room for a suit at that checkpoint, dupes wearing suits are not allowed to path through that checkpoint and must find a checkpoint that can accept the suit.

If you have more than one doorway to outside, you can force them to drop atmo suit in empty dock (not in the floor) by setting Vacancy Only. Check duplicant available pathfinding when they outside by "Show Navigation".

This is what happens when vacancy only available on the right

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.124d60a38781e0300ff53209ea5f620c.png

This is what happens when vacancy only available on the left

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.856155547ffb4112f5c0e6c9b0199d7c.png

Just make sure you have all checkpoint status vacancy only.

Spoiler

image.png.84b2343d0a32202ff60efc886a6c4517.png

It is possible there is bug like you've been described. But to make claim it is bugged, you need to provide proof it is need fixing. My pics above shown that pathfinding blocked by those settings, maybe you have some special case?

Just now, Khullag said:

maybe vacancy only should be set by default. it would prevent issues for new players who don't know that

That's what I said when this bug was discovered and the clearance setting was created to fix it. I can only assume it isn't the default because dupes, and possibly players, are stupid and could potentially get locked out of the base by a replacement suit being delivered while they are outside.

The drawback to Vacancy Only is that, if you over-deliver suits, you can lock Dupes out the base and they will eventually die if you don't undo it.

It requires a little work to make this mistake. A dock has to be empty because a Dupe is wearing the suit, and then you have to select the dock and demand another suit, filling it. And of course you have to over-manufacture suits.

I imagine this is why it's not the default. Because the consequences are somewhat dire and how to fix it won't be obvious to players who don't know the mechanics.

If you close off all looped passageways between suit stations, suits will always wind up in the correct place.

Just set things up so that for every place on the map, there's only one exit they'll use when leaving your base.

There IS a setting that only lets them drop a suit off if there is an opening. Give that a try.  You can have as many suit entry points to an area as you want and everything will work out if they all have that setting on. 

So wait. Are they dropping suits on the checkpoints, when those are full? This is fixed by clearance.

Or are they dropping suits somewhere else when suits run out of oxygen? That`s more problematic as they can go back but with no suit nobody can pass the chekpoint to pick the suit up. Especially if there was only one. You can disable the checkpoint to allow access but that`s a lot of micromanaging.

24 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

I found that a single-exit base is pretty much the solution to that. Travel-time increase does not matter much later in the game.

Same.  I just have like 18 atmosuit docks at my one exit and that handles all my needs.  Transit tubes take dupes to far off locations so it doesn't really matter that they came out the left side of my base instead of the right.

Okay, I have to know: how on Terra did dupes not going through an atmosuit checkpoint destroy your entire colony?

---

Mae: "Oh no! The automation switch has to be overridden manually or the volcano will fry the farms! Somebody will have to stay outside and sacrifice themselves to save us all!"

Travaldo: "No, Mae! There has to be another way!"

Mae: "There is no other way! Tell Ruby I always loved her leather jacket!"

[Meep takes the only atmosuit to store an eggshell]

Mae: "Oh. Welp, nevermind then." [starves to death]

17 hours ago, Risu said:

Clearance: Vacancy Only setting was added specifically to deal with multiple checkpoints servicing an area.

I thought a 2 exit base would work fine with the vacancy only setting.

But after messing with a 4 exit base...

I have 4 checkpoints for jet suits in every corner of my "central base" and I had some dropped suits ....

[2 dropped suits in ~500cycles gametime.]

30 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

[2 dropped suits in ~500cycles gametime.]

Sounds like another symptom of what makes the planner dropping jobs occasionally. Probably some very rare data corruption due to a race condition or the like. Hard to find and hard to replicate.

21 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

But after messing with a 4 exit base... [snip]

Actually I had similar base in QoL3, and every few hundred cycles I can find atmo suit in floor. I tried to reproduce this of course, but without solid result. I can't even specify when they did that, always off-screen. Probably under spesific condition, for example dupes entering checkpoint during game load? That's why in my previous post I'm asking for specific condition that might happen to TS.

If we cannot reproduce it, it is next to impossible to fix it.

6 hours ago, abud said:

Actually I had similar base in QoL3, and every few hundred cycles I can find atmo suit in floor. I tried to reproduce this of course, but without solid result. I can't even specify when they did that, always off-screen.

If I coud say more than it happens sometimes (every few hundred cycles), I would have created a bug report.

=> I am as clueless as you are^^

Archived