Locavore/Carnivore

Can anyone that has gotten the locavore and carnivore achievements in the same run share their strategy and how to set up better ranching? I have yet to get these as I can never ranch enough critters. My dupes are constantly starving and I end up needing to make mush bars to keep them alive.

i tired to do it on my last map too, but failed.

i think the main focus would be to gather other sources of food from around the map while setting up ranches.

use pips to plant wild growth of plants.

but even so, i think its more or less necessary to make to make mush bars at some point when not running any farms as ranches takes a bit of time to get up to speed to produce meat.

1 hour ago, Xadhoom said:

but even so, i think its more or less necessary to make to make mush bars at some point when not running any farms as ranches takes a bit of time to get up to speed to produce meat.

Ok, I have done both achievments playing on ravanging hunger. (Not sure if double the kcal consumption good or bad for an attempt.)

=> Mush bars/mush fry and muckroots are your friends.

My strategy:

1. Just dig up most of the starting biome without uprooting wild plants.
  2. If your duplicants are close to starvation, start killing the first critter. (You want your early found critters to reproduce a couple times if it´s possible,)
  3. Dig to the surface to hunt for shove voles.
  4. Slowly increase the number of duplicants. (I preferred bottomless stomach or binge eater to consume more meat in less time.)

[Shove voles provide 16.000kcal and you will most likely find 10-20 of these.]

Rushing an early hatch ranch was my first idea, but if you calculate the time it requires ...

=> Better just kill every wild critter you can find (and do it as late as possible, to maybe get them to lay an egg.)

On 7/25/2019 at 4:02 PM, Lilalaunekuh said:

Ok, I have done both achievments playing on ravanging hunger. (Not sure if double the kcal consumption good or bad for an attempt.)

=> Mush bars/mush fry and muckroots are your friends.

My strategy:

1. Just dig up most of the starting biome without uprooting wild plants.
  2. If your duplicants are close to starvation, start killing the first critter. (You want your early found critters to reproduce a couple times if it´s possible,)
  3. Dig to the surface to hunt for shove voles.
  4. Slowly increase the number of duplicants. (I preferred bottomless stomach or binge eater to consume more meat in less time.)

[Shove voles provide 16.000kcal and you will most likely find 10-20 of these.]

Rushing an early hatch ranch was my first idea, but if you calculate the time it requires ...

=> Better just kill every wild critter you can find (and do it as late as possible, to maybe get them to lay an egg.)

Holy crap I wish I knew that about shove voles.

I just did it using incubators and ranch hatches and every random drecko I could find and it was a close call.

Was made more challenging by doing the sustainable power achievement at the same time, so I had each incubator powered by a hamster wheel. 

Was made more challenging by doing the sustainable power achievement at the same time, so I had each incubator powered by a hamster wheel. 

Did the same. You don't need incubators enabled always. Just sing a song for egg and put another one. All you need are 2 incuabtors and tonns of micromanagement.

I don’t think ravaging hunger or binge eating helps. Because the real challenge is not eating 400kcal, it’s finding 400kcal of meat or fish by cycle 100.

I think it’s mostly about getting to shove voles, and doing at least some basic cooking, since cooked meat increases the calorie count value of meat by 25% and fish by 60%. Advanced cooking’s harder since you need a source of natural gas, Frost Burgers give you another 50% multiplier (4000 kcal bbq + others stuff -> 6000 kcal). You obviously have to forage wild wheat and lettuce for that one.

To put it another way, one shove vole = 5 cooked meat = 5 frost burgers = 30,000 kcal if you can cook it that far, a 87% bonus.

I got it on my Oasisse playthrough while also trying to get Super Sustainable, so it was a lot more difficult than it should be if you play on a less demanding asteroid without limiting your power supply.  My seed is 1568020665 if you are interested.

It was a forest biome for me so I deal with what I had, pips and hatches.  I used pips to plant all the oxyferns I had in the lower section of my base and then sent them off to plant my nature reserves, pip ranches, and mealwood farm.  I got a few lucky pacu packs and shove vole eggs so that made it fairly easy to have enough meat by setting up a shove vole ranch.  Pips provided the dirt which fed my shove voles so I got plenty of eggs from them.  Keeping them from escaping was a pain but I eventually surrounded them with pneumatic doors and that solved the issue.  If you can get an auto digger that also helps deal with their dirt piles.

Made a 4 outhouse bathroom which eventually became a 2 outhouse bathroom which quickly became a lavatory.  Two of the outhouses became my original morb spawners to help deal with our low oxygen issue.  Eventually all four were morb spawners.  Never had good oxygen during the first 100 cycles but it was enough that no one died.  Digging out and finding algae or printing it helped too but only if you have water, hence the quick lavatory setup to help generate some water.  I had a lucky polluted water vent within view of the printing pod, so that was free water and polluted o2 as well to help deal with no oxygen.  A few screen away where two cool slush geysers but I didn't discover them until cycle 50 or something so I didn't really use them.

For incubators, I took advantage of automation.  With a clock sensor and the duplicate motion sensor, you can set up a system that only powers a few incubators at a time for a few seconds which is just enough for them to lullaby the eggs and then turn off.  I have these at priority 9 so that they are taken care of immediately.  I set the activation time of the clock sensor to turn on while my rancher dupe was taking a shower, so that once he finishes that he immediately runs to these.  The duration is 7 seconds but could be less depending how far away your showers/bedrooms are.

Spoiler

The incubator on the left gets activated by the clock sensor while the dupe sensor above it ensures that it doesn't turn off while being lullabied.  The ones between the incubators turns on the next incubator while the rancher is their, ensuring that he goes to the next one afterwards until the entire line is lullabied.  If you know where the rancher dupe stands while lullabing the egg, you could use a weight plate to turn on the next one to save on a bit of power while having more incubators but I didn't know that at the time so I just went with this setup.

Incubators.thumb.png.a027fa402534e111b9a498bad8386505.png5d6c494bb2fa5_Incubatorsatuo.thumb.png.4f6797786b8e80d165c8dd919269b35a.png

I didn't set up electrolyzers until after cycle 100, but with that polluted water vent it wouldn't be that difficult.  That would get your hydrogen power early to free up dupes for other tasks.

I recommend getting a few dupes that are binge eaters.  I threw them in atmosuits (click on atmosuit and tell them to equip it) near the end and didn't let them use the bathroom.  That's 40% stress a cycle which quickly will stress them out and triggers them.  If you can, dunk them in water first before putting them in a suit for more stress.  I was able to squeak out the extra meat calories I needed with this trick.  I also just started taking dupes around cycle 70 because I only had 5 dupes up until that point and needed more people consuming calories.  Got Locavore around cycle 65 so then I went about planting my oxyferns to help deal with the carbon dioxde.  I also had two bottomless stomach dupes as well but that wasn't intentional.  If you have enough meat available to get the achievement, I recommend doing the binge eater atmosuit trick so you can unlock it early.  I got it on cycle 97 which was way closer than I wanted it to be.  A  I wasn't sure if,my atmosuit binge eaters would obey their consumable tabs while stressed so I locked my meal lice/liceloaf off from them so my other dupes wouldn't starve accidentally. 

I ran into an issue where after binge eating, they would drop to 60% stress and then get back up to 100% stress again yet never trigger their insatiable hunger and the only way to fix it was to reload the game, so be aware of that if that issue hasn't been solved yet.

On 7/25/2019 at 4:02 PM, Lilalaunekuh said:

Dig to the surface to hunt for shove voles.

What is the best way to do this, by-the-by? I revealed space relatively early, but by the time I was anywhere ready to breach it, the 3 or so Voles that I had previously tagged to be wrangled had vanished.

Do they get killed by meteors?

10 minutes ago, Red Shark said:

What is the best way to do this, by-the-by? I revealed space relatively early, but by the time I was anywhere ready to breach it, the 3 or so Voles that I had previously tagged to be wrangled had vanished.

Do they get killed by meteors?

They do, yes, because they never regenerate health and meteors can damage them a bit.

6 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I don’t think ravaging hunger or binge eating helps. Because the real challenge is not eating 400kcal, it’s finding 400kcal of meat or fish by cycle 100.

You missed the point here, why ravanging hunger or binge eating could help.

You´re right the challenge is finding 400.000kcal, but you have to find most of the meat way before cycle 100.

=> A higher food consumption allows you more time till you need to have gathered the 400.000kcal.

24 minutes ago, Red Shark said:
On 25.7.2019 at 10:02 PM, Lilalaunekuh said:

Dig to the surface to hunt for shove voles.

What is the best way to do this, by-the-by?

Ok, I done it in a not really optimal way, but here is what I did:

1. As soon as I could dig abyssalite, I build one of my central ladders up till I breached space. [Was around cycle 30.]
  2. I didn´t bother with a door to keep my atmosphere till after cycle 100.
  3. I started digging tunnels to the right an left. 8-10 rows blow the highest "solid" layer [non regoltih layer^^]
  4. Every few cycles I setup an attack order for the whole top layer of the map.

I've managed to very consistently get Locavore + Carnivore by using 2 to 4 full sized hatch ranches and running 4 to 8 incubators. I've found that Oasisse is actually one of the easiest maps to do this, since the multiple sandstone biomes have a loooot of hatches, reducing the need to incubate ehhs.

Locavore isn't too hard. Carnivore is tricky, but not too hard. 

I've tried for it twice and actually failed the first time because I didn't have enough dupes to eat the calories I made. 

The second run through I kept a tally of how much food the dupes would eat by cycle 95 (I gave myself some leeway) and this let me know when I absolutely had to take another dupe. Wound up with 10 or 11 dupes and the achievement on cycle 97.

Then I derped, sealed my Pacu room and had a mass extinction and almost starved my base. :D

In retrospect, going for Super Sustainable on the same base was a pain. 

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:11 AM, fishoutofwater said:

any advice doing carnivore on arboria?

I'm doing it now.  Setup ranches of pips (6 for 2 natural trees) while you get your hatch farms up to critical mass. They're Inefficient but they'll help with the food issues.  An early boost of 3 hatch eggs can help you tremendously getting up to that critical mass of hatches early, too.

I find that I start ranching around cycle 15, and I've started digging and dooring up the ranches by then.  Also, I use barely powered incubators to get the hatches going faster.  Here's the mark 6 design I'm using and it's working very well.

Spoiler

5d7bde2bdea1a_Incubator6Automation.thumb.JPG.b1f8c26ee5cdb30e9b6694bce6e6952f.JPG5d7bde24cae51_Incubator6Main.thumb.JPG.b9de47ebffce71d1ef01786ea0356912.JPG

On 9/13/2019 at 3:08 AM, Lilalaunekuh said:

My advice is the same for any asteroid:

Hunt and kill shove voles ;)

I’ve done it last night, arboria carnivore but I’m not proud of it because I got lucky, I printed 12 shove voles egg, no save scumming.

I wonder how you did it, I tried to go up and hunt but I was having hard time dealing with oxygen pressure and no suit, by time I have suit my digging dupes still slow, taking to much time digging up and try to kill and then there are meteors too, so I bail and just hunt wild critters, but without that 12 eggs I’m sure I will have failed.

5 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

snip

can you elaborate how you deal with oxygen pressure, lack of water, what to research first, early food supply, how many dupes.

I too can do ranching around cycles 15, I choose husbandry +7, but I’m pretty sure arboria only give 1 hatch (cmiiw), hatching egg without incubator so slow (buy I’m sure this is my fault trying to do sustainable power too).

I guess I have to try again.

34 minutes ago, fishoutofwater said:

can you elaborate how you deal with oxygen pressure, lack of water, what to research first, early food supply, how many dupes.

I too can do ranching around cycles 15, I choose husbandry +7, but I’m pretty sure arboria only give 1 hatch (cmiiw), hatching egg without incubator so slow (buy I’m sure this is my fault trying to do sustainable power too).

Sure.  For starters, I pretty much never stop getting dupes as fast as possible.  I'll try to get some early hatch eggs or pacu if they're in the RNG, otherwise, all dupes, all the time.

O2 is dealt with via an rust deoxyizer research and breaking into the rust biomes around cycle 4.  Hunt for salt quickly, the rust will come.

I send out search paths as quickly as possible.  I hope to find the Cool Steam or something equivalent quickly if I can.   There's enough water to start but not sustain on Arboria.  Salt water is not an option because of the power costs.  If nothing else is available, I'll start melting an ice biome... preferably with the cool steam vent.

This creates a food issue though, with Locavore.  Massive explorations for beans and tofu are necessary.  Get into the grain as fast as possible too.  Never stop exploring and setting up paths to food.  You still won't have enough.  Send pokeshells off to somewhere they can breed without mucking with you and your lettuce.

You have a few solutions you can use. 

Pips are amazing.  Pile up your mealwood seeds and dig places for the pips to roam and plant.  If you make little jump paths for them you can make natural areas for them to plant in from a single point.

Pips are also the answer for early meat.  They're half as good as a hatch, but this *is* a more difficult asteroid type.  2 natural trees can support 6 pips.  You won't want them as a full food supply, but they can give you plenty of support food and a head start for Carnivore.  Don't do more than two ranches and leave some of the pips wild.  You'll want to disengage from the pip ranches once your hatch ranches start hitting critical mass. 

I find I can usually get the first full hatch ranch up and going by cycle 40-50.  I also abuse the incubators to do it.  Side note, feed the stone the iron ore, not the aluminum, if you want smooth hatches.  Had a derp recently because of that.

By cycle 50 if you're lagging behind from starting to have drowning systems for meat you'll have to make a decision.  Decide the map is a bad choice for water and abandon ship and try again, or haul arse to the surface and haul a few voles down.  You can get two eggs from each vole in a starving ranch, and the meat is off the charts.

But at each phase you'll have to surrender other systems, you just can't build it all fast enough.  It's a push/pull for just in time construction.

I Have done both achievements on Terra on regular hunger and stress settings. I reached Locavore at cycle 47 and Carnivore at 97.  I was going for super sustainable at the same time and my colony died at cycle 120 because I hadn't set up a proper oxygen system and was relying on deoxidizers. (what's the name of this game again?) 

I printed pips early on which helped my dupes not starving all the time and freed a lot of my dupes time. I also printed 3 shove vole eggs at cycle 85 on set of 8 pacus and plenty of hatches/eggs. Bassically if it was food it was printed.  I also dug towards any wild food plants starting by sleet wheats and then lettuce.
I dug through the slime biome very carefully to have access to the wild pacus. I'd say I collected about 20 twice.
I had a NatGas vent that even when dormant, provided with enough NatGas to cook some surfNTurf and some frost Burgers. Don't eat raw meat unless it's going stale but also don't eat BBQ if you can transform it into higher tier materials. the bonus from surfNturf doesn't seem much but it adds up.
I had 3 Hatch Ranch, (but now that I am redoing it on high stress, I have 5) I made sure that hatches were never Cramped by setting them to 6 critters on auto wrangle and having a shine bug and a Puff ranch so they would get moved out of the way.
Finally, I had one Drako ranch where I would basically only shred them and then kill stating at cycle 70.
Make sure your cooks and researchers are working under light but also your metal refinery besides that, my only automation  was to manage my power grid & 8 Incubators.

You run on mush/ wild plants and natural critter death until cycle 65-70 and then kill everything and desactivate non-meat consumables.

Spoiler

5d7c3a3bdaadd_3Ranchbuild.thumb.png.832a4470ddc9bafd8c33031467eb2a2a.png

I reworked my ranch a bit so it doesn't have the incubators in them but the layout is always the same.

25 minutes ago, fishoutofwater said:

so no farm tile for early food?

open base with mixed gas?

no plan on exo suits?

and also no toilets?

how to oxygenate path for exploration? or just dig all?

As mentioned, no farms until Locavore's done.

Mixed gases with squeeky ranch and skimmer/sieve at the bottom.

No exosuits.

Seriously?  Of course toilets.  On Cycle 1.

Just keep digging.  Plop down another rust deoxidizer if it's getting thin.

8 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

Farm tiles are a no-no for Locavore. 

5 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

As mentioned, no farms until Locavore's done.

sorry I forget I’ve done it, I was only focused on getting steam achievement just for carnivore, because it was the hardest one for me, it just part of my ocd to ticked all steam achievement for my favourite game of all time, now I can relax and try to get in-game achievement all ticked.

I mean luxury toilets.

@fishoutofwater Yeah I convert at some point around cycle 15-20.  I mostly just do it in a dead space of the build.  Bigger problem is that the reservoir can only cover the overflow for so long, so you need to get thimble or bristle just for excess water dump.

If you're not worried about Locavore, that takes a huge hurdle out of the issue.  Plant a crapload of mealwood, shovel in the dreckos, and you're off to the races.

Archived