The Chill Pill 3000, aka The Planet Freezer

You know what time it is.

What do you get when you take the compact chill-pill unit, use Thermium, super-coolant, and mix it with 3,000 vitamin chews?

The Chill Pill 3000.

Capable of deleting the heat created from 16 aquatuners at 100% uptime, you too can turn your local volcanic asteroid into a ski resort.

Overview:

chillpill3000_overview.thumb.jpg.723c31e2280fbbbcf698a88572bd6ef4.jpg

Power:

chillpill3000_power.thumb.jpg.4c89e567b13cdc3c837f9bddfb893c01.jpg

Rail:

chillpill3000_rail.thumb.jpg.8cdd76e6a59080768f9d66090382220b.jpg

Temp drop of liquid: (-224c per single pass)

chillpill3000_pipetemp1.thumb.jpg.07815a31d91f3e781237018c98b4a618.jpg

chillpill3000_pipetemp2.thumb.jpg.8cd900544e334457564a0a2cd6a9a7e3.jpg

Temperature overlay: (w/ 420c heat load to the left)

chillpill3000_thermal.thumb.jpg.46b0e3491cff29f1306dd4672eb36eea.jpg

Automation: (complete lack thereof)

chillpill3000_automation.thumb.jpg.9c1836235e56c7cd88e1c3dd18fe4351.jpg

Temperature stays right below boiling point of super-fluid. It may be possible to expand with a bit more tweaking, but I'm going to stop here-- I've done enough damage.

I feel dirty.

These builds are just so ridiculous... All that because of a seemingly simple to fix bug in a building...

Since you advertised it this way, is it possible to use them debug tools to add up all the thermal energy of a volcanea with volcanos, magma channel and whatnot? How long would it really take to chill an asteroid to freezing temps?

You, Sir, are evil. Your mind is a twisted, dark, endless pit, devoid of anything that may resemble respect for what is just and good, where the most unthinkable and therefore unspeakable horrors and aberrations come into being, defiling what was created and what should be.

Well done.  :wilson_evil:

2 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

16 tuners on super coolant is 19 gigawatts of cooling.

Megawatts. Count your zeros.

Try to match the units used everywhere else in the game. Megawatts and gigawatts are mystical numbers. 19000 kDTUs can be directly measured with every other heat source.

12 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

16 tuners on super coolant is 19 megawatts of cooling.

I selected roughly half my asteroid (partially dug) and the total mass was 43kT. Let's say an asteroid is about 150kT.

If it were all igneous rock, and we are cooling from 100C to 0C, it would take this machine 9 days or 1300 cycles to freeze an asteroid.

easy way to cool an asteroid to 0C: vent your whole asteroid into space, watch your asteroid dissappear into space, enjoy your vacuum map.

i dont know how to melt your whole asteroid into gas, but thats not my problem.

29 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

16 tuners on super coolant is 19 megawatts of cooling.

I selected roughly half my asteroid (partially dug) and the total mass was 43kT. Let's say an asteroid is about 150kT.

If it were all igneous rock, and we are cooling from 100C to 0C, it would take this machine 9 days or 1300 cycles to freeze an asteroid.

Obviously not powerful enough yet. Back to the drawing board!

1 hour ago, Blazing Falken said:

I'm going to stop here-- I've done enough damage.

Keep going.  This is getting so ridiculous that I truly hope they go into the code and change one variable to make food stay on temp, not reset.

This should be a very simple bug fix.  They nerfed the battery resetting temperature exploit quite quickly. Let's hope @Ipsquiggle see's this ridiculous build. 

Let's hope they don't take the following approach:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d30c0cc7746686377

51 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Keep going.  This is getting so ridiculous that I truly hope they go into the code and change one variable to make food stay on temp, not reset.

You know, then it will just be the next thing. There must be a few left. And there is only 12 days until release and nerfing mechanisms after release will lead to a lot of bad blood with new players. That is assuming they want new players, but I guess they do. 

1 hour ago, Gurgel said:

You know, then it will just be the next thing. There must be a few left. And there is only 12 days until release and nerfing mechanisms after release will lead to a lot of bad blood with new players. That is assuming they want new players, but I guess they do. 

There's still the good old trusty pitcher pump cooler, that still works fine, and it still affect every single player that ever build just one pitcher pump which should be just about everyone.

The cooling effect per pitcher pump is not that big but build a row of 10 pitcher pumps in the oil biome. Save and reload every cycle for ten cycles and you got yourself a nice tepid oil bath.

2 hours ago, Saturnus said:

There's still the good old trusty pitcher pump cooler

Did they reintroduce it after obliterating it (face palm).  It was gone last week....

Liquid duplication at sub zero temperatures cools things down pretty quickly as well (a free 8kg/s regular water slushie). 

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

I don't know about the preview branch but it still works on the live branch.

The preview branch fixed it, thankfully. It was in the first update. 

• Insulate the Pitcher Pump's storage to prevent the elements from incorrectly cooling or heating the area around the pump.

I checked last week and was unable to get the bug working anymore. I just double checked, and it is gone. Thank you Klei!  

3 hours ago, Gurgel said:

If I was a new player I'd be thrown off by such ridiculous bugs. It's not a nerf, it's a fix.

27 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

The preview branch fixed it, thankfully. It was in the first update. 

• Insulate the Pitcher Pump's storage to prevent the elements from incorrectly cooling or heating the area around the pump.

I checked last week and was unable to get the bug working anymore. I just double checked, and it is gone. Thank you Klei!  

Good to know. I haven't been paying that much attention to the first couple of release notes as I was on vacation at the time.

As you mention there's still liquid duplication to handle which should be a fair bit harder to fix and balance than fixed the "chill pill" exploit.

Also the gas converter which can be made into a powerful cooler by constantly changing a gas from one with high heat capacity to one with low heat capacity, and back again. But obviously being gas it won't be nearly as powerful as the aforementioned methods for cooling. It's more for ridiculous amounts of power generation... which can then be used for cooling.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

changing a gas from one with high heat capacity to one with low heat capacity, and back again. But obvious being gas it won't be nearly as powerful as the aforementioned methods for cooling.

Matter conversion of steam to chlorine is quite powerful for both removing, or creating, heat (works nice in both directions). :)  I think I've basically given up on matter conversion and liquid duplication being fixed.  Changing them at this point could introduce so many other cascading bugs, that they will probably stay in the base game, maybe forever....  :( 

2 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Matter conversion of steam to chlorine is quite powerful for both removing, or creating, heat (works nice in both directions). :)  I think I've basically given up on matter conversion and liquid duplication being fixed.  Changing them at this point could introduce so many other cascading bugs, that they will probably stay in the base game, maybe forever....  :( 

The liquid duplication really comes down to the silly notion that digging out tiles loose half their mass instantly (which btw, can be exploited for heat deletion as well). If that wasn't the case it would be a relatively harmless fix. 

Archived