Where seed will take root?

Seeds will take root on any tile or only dirt or other they naturally grow on? I mean if you construct a common sndstone tile, then no root will turn into a plant and that is true  for ALL constructable tiles? But if it is a natural or mole-produced tile then seed will turn into plant?

23 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

Seeds will take root on any tile or only dirt or other they naturally grow on? I mean if you construct a common sndstone tile, then no root will turn into a plant and that is true  for ALL constructable tiles? But if it is a natural or mole-produced tile then seed will turn into plant?

From what I can tell, seed will grow from natural tiles only. I have seen seeds sprout from granite and most softer non-metal tiles. 

I have not tested this so I don't know if things will grow into harder stuff like abbysalite or non-minerals like metal ore or diamonds. 

On a related note, Pips will plant random seeds in unused farm tiles even if you have a different plant queued. I kept having to uproot Mirth Leaf plants while I was waiting for more of the water lettuce plants. 

Oh, and they'll get into storage containers and fling at least seeds out so they can then grab them to plant somewhere. Whomever decided on this is both evil and a genius. 

49 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

any natural tile or vole-produced tile. Construct-able tiles won't work.

But you'd want to have your wild plants in a single place so it's easy to have algae/slime convert to dirt in a place you choose and use those instead, not having to worry about what tiles you dig and what you don't as well. 

On 29/06/2019 at 6:30 PM, catsRjerks said:

any natural tile or vole-produced tile. Construct-able tiles won't work.

But you'd want to have your wild plants in a single place so it's easy to have algae/slime convert to dirt in a place you choose and use those instead, not having to worry about what tiles you dig and what you don't as well. 

Hmmm so when we dig all the tile we can use vole to make natural tile where we need it and use pip to plant seed. Could be fun

On 29/06/2019 at 4:58 PM, beowulf2010 said:

From what I can tell, seed will grow from natural tiles only. I have seen seeds sprout from granite and most softer non-metal tiles. 

So sand falling is finally useful?

Didn't  leaving seeds on tiles stop working several patches ago? Or does it still work without pips?

37 minutes ago, Yunru said:

So sand falling is finally useful?

This sounds like a really good way to make a layer of natural by filling storage with small bits of sand and deconstructing, just you'd need another layer under it. 

3 hours ago, Xuhybrid said:

What would you say is the most reliable way to make natural tiles?

I would do something like: in a vacuum, place rows of gold metal tiles (low SHC). Drop 5kg of algae on each one using compactors. Heat them to ~150C with any method (such as petroleum metal refinery coolant). At 128C the algae turns to dirt tiles. Optionally: remake metal tiles using same materials to reset temp to 45C.

4 hours ago, nakomaru said:

I would do something like: in a vacuum, place rows of gold metal tiles (low SHC). Drop 5kg of algae on each one using compactors. Heat them to ~150C with any method (such as petroleum metal refinery coolant). At 128C the algae turns to dirt tiles. Optionally: remake metal tiles using same materials to reset temp to 45C.

Doable, but excessive in effort. Klei better provide something that is actually reasonable to do, like a high-end farmer skill or the like. 

7 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Thanks. Seems like a convoluted method but probably the best without relying on pre-existing structures.

15 minutes ago, paoweeotter said:

Not dig everything out..

Sure but that doesn't help me on older maps or if there's no tiles in the area i want to build.

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Doable, but excessive in effort. Klei better provide something that is actually reasonable to do, like a high-end farmer skill or the like. 

Yeah i'm in agreement. It would be nice if we could put down new tiles. Digging them up cuts their mass in half so you're not really gaining anything. Perhaps just allow placement of dirt/clay and nothing else. Knowing Klei, they'll probably just disable making new tiles from cooking algae.

On 6/29/2019 at 10:58 AM, beowulf2010 said:

ips will plant random seeds in unused farm tiles even if you have a different plant queued. I kept having to uproot Mirth Leaf plants while I was waiting for more of the water lettuce plants. 

Oh, and they'll get into storage containers and fling at least seeds out so they can then grab them to plant somewhere. Whomever decided on this is both evil and a genius. 

THIS!

At first I was like what the heck, I know I didn't plant mirth leaf in my farm....  and then later I saw them grab beans and plant them in all the farm plots before my dupes had a chance to plant the crop that is supposed to be there.    They also throw stuff out of the storage container just because.  I had a storage container with nothing but igneous and aluminum and they are constantly rummaging in it and throwing it on the ground.  They are like raccoons.......

Archived