Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I came up with this idea while watching a stream on Twitch, and I decided to submit it. I thought, what If in winter the oceans froze over, at least for some patches or areas, and players could walk on it? Other mechanics may include boats getting stuck, ice fishing, weak spots that break if the player walks over it (causing the player to drown) or slipperiness. Icebergs could also form as a sailing obstacle for boats. (Like sea stacks.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think it would be too fun. 

Presumably they're going to add more to the ocean to make it more interesting, and it the entire ocean just gets glazed over most of that goes down the drain for a season. Just a lot of walking, and not much else.

Icebergs are already have quotes in the files, so I expect those to come in a later update. I wouldn't mind the ocean getting a bit icy and result in some problem for boats, but entirely freezing over seems a bit much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

The game also doesn't take place on the Sun, and yet things randomly catch fire, no?

They do that in the real world in way more places than frozen water? If there is dry grass\trees they can burn in most places..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Cpt. KatKit said:

They do that in the real world in way more places than frozen water? If there is dry grass\trees they can burn in most places..

You're missing the point. This is the Constant. A realm where the laws of reality we know don't apply.

Using reasoning from our own world is fundamentally flawed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Zeklo said:

You're missing the point. This is the Constant. A realm where the laws of reality we know don't apply.

Using reasoning from our own world is fundamentally flawed.

which is why the days are so short, the plants grow very fast, and people's voices is replaced by random instrument sounds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just wanna mention that the ocean has salt in it so most areas in it wouldn’t freeze.

Maybe shallow areas since the salt sinks toward the bottom of the sea in real life (albeit slowly).

Or maybe a if there’s a glacier biome it’ll get slightly bigger as it gets colder than melts back to its original size.

Actually a glacier biome sounds kinda nifty. Might post about it in a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know what might be fun? Being able to temporarily freeze (the surface of) a tile of ocean with an Ice Staff. Just like with mobs it should take multiple hits to fully freeze; I think it'd be particularly entertaining if there was a 'thin ice' stage before that where you can technically walk on it but it has a high to very high chance of breaking and plunging you into the water to either drown or have the same dropped items/full wetness/lost max health waking-up-on-the-nearest-coastline thing as abandoning ship on a boat.

Probably the entire ocean shouldn't freeze over, because as far as I know, on Earth that doesn't really happen anywhere that gets as hot in the summer as the Constant does (judging by the wildfires and the cases of heatstroke, not the numerical temperature the game uses). But some floating ice chunks/patches wouldn't be unreasonable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

while the idea isn't great, a seasonal island that only appears in winter would be pretty neat, along with giving players a reason to boat around in a season that isn't autumn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18. 6. 2019 at 10:23 AM, metallichydra said:

which is why the days are so short, the plants grow very fast, and people's voices is replaced by random instrument sounds.

Which is also why Gold is harder than most other materials, and has Mercurial properties.

Wait a second

Mercucial Properties; mercury expands, DOES THAT MEAN WE CAN DUPE GOLD?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2019 at 5:46 AM, FeagleSnorf said:

I just wanna mention that the ocean has salt in it so most areas in it wouldn’t freeze.

Maybe shallow areas since the salt sinks toward the bottom of the sea in real life (albeit slowly).

Or maybe a if there’s a glacier biome it’ll get slightly bigger as it gets colder than melts back to its original size.

Actually a glacier biome sounds kinda nifty. Might post about it in a bit.

The ocean isn't necessarily salty there (Unless there's a quote I'm missing).

I do agree that the entire ocean freezing is overdoing it a bit, but patches would definitely be fun.

I like your idea of a glacier biome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Instead of frozen ocean, make the icebergs floating around and destroy boats when collide. Yet another way to kill you in this game. Also some parts that very far from land would be frozen and spawn stuffs and resources

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2019 at 3:44 AM, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

The ocean isn't necessarily salty there (Unless there's a quote I'm missing).

I do agree that the entire ocean freezing is overdoing it a bit, but patches would definitely be fun.

I like your idea of a glacier biome.

Wouldn’t it be a lake? If there wasn’t any salt then it wouldn’t be an ocean right? If anybody knows anything about this please correct me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...