Useful Tips For Old or New Players!

I have looked at countless "Tips and Tricks" posts, and none of them are very good, so I thought i would add on. Just don't expect these to be any better (even if they are).

1. Don't cook your food if your not gonna eat it. This one is probably known, but not all know it. Cooked food spoils faster, and it's not like you can't just cook it later, so keep it raw for longer preservation.

2. Take your clothing off near fire. When you wear clothing items, their durability goes down. If your wearing your Winter Hat and Puffy Vest, they're gonna keep you warm, but so is your fire. Since the fire is keeping you warm, take off all clothing so that it can last longer. This goes along with summer too.

3. Make armor for fighting. I understand how stupidly obvious this sounds, but I've seen way too many people go into a big fight without armor, and die. Sure, maybe they're just bad fighters, but they still would of done better with the extra defense. Even a grass suit can help!

4. MAKE. A. CROCKPOT!!!! You NEED to be doing this if you wish to survive your first harsh season. It is so essential to survival, I can't even begin to explain. Eating food from a crockpot can give health, gives much more food than most normal food items, AND restores some sanity. I would recommend making at least two, but the more the better. 

5. Keep food in the ground... Much like number one, this is for food preservation. I don't mean drop your food on the ground, definitely don't do that! I mean if you see a carrot in the ground or berries on a bush, and you don't need them, leave them! They don't spoil if they are left there, so just another great reason to get that field of berry bushes!

These have been my tips for DST players, so hopefully they help your survive the harsh constant! ~Hoj

3 hours ago, HojMcFoj said:

1. Don't cook your food if your not gonna eat it. This one is probably known, but not all know it. Cooked food spoils faster, and it's not like you can't just cook it later, so keep it raw for longer preservation.

This only applies to veggies. Cooked meats actually take longer to spoil then raw. The exception to this is if you have drying racks. Drying meats resets their spoilage when they become jerky.

2 minutes ago, Hell-met said:

insulting my berries doesn't seem to yield any different result.

There's huge difference between 'cooking with spoiled berries' and 'cooking with freshly harvested berries', right?

Roast the ingredients (including the berries) will help a lot more to control the freshness.

10 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Technically roasting stuff is far better than eating it raw in many cases ( with exception of corn, popcorn deals less hp )

The spoilage is kinda reset, you get more hp from the food...

What I meant by "Don't cook your food if your not gonna eat it", I meant don't cook your food, until you need to eat it. Except for meat, according to Sinister_Fang

4 hours ago, HojMcFoj said:

What I meant by "Don't cook your food if your not gonna eat it", I meant don't cook your food, until you need to eat it. Except for meat, according to Sinister_Fang

Yeah, for meat, raw meat lasts 6 days, while cooked meat lasts 10 days.

Vegetables and Fruits on the other hand are 6 days raw and 3 days cooked usually, except for a few. (Like juicy berries which are 2 and 1 for raw and cooked respectively.)

Might as well give a few of my own, even if basic: 

1. Preserve Flowers, despite your small sanity boost and 1 hp, butterflies give some really good early game food with a mere punch. Having a bunch of flowers near a base is nice for passive food or rot gain, especially Wortox

2. Drop berries when you harvest berry bush farms, Gobblers will immediately go to it instead of running away. Encase it in a wall and you get some extra food. You can use powder cake to just leave on the ground to attract them as well.

3. Drop everything before you leave, this is more like an etiquette, but any tools you may have or small amounts of resources are still handy for other players. In many public servers, it will never go long term but its nice to give those in need a nice boost.

4. Frogs and Spiders can fall for Traps, if you are solo this is a good way to deal with large spider nests and frog rain, along with farming spiders as Webber without a war.

6 hours ago, HeatAndRun said:

There's huge difference between 'cooking with spoiled berries' and 'cooking with freshly harvested berries', right?

Roast the ingredients (including the berries) will help a lot more to control the freshness.

Spoiler

The joke was that "roast" is also slang for insulting someone.

2 hours ago, Scrubsberry said:

4. Frogs and Spiders can fall for Traps, if you are solo this is a good way to deal with large spider nests and frog rain, along with farming spiders as Webber without a war.

Also useful when you’re fishing, place two traps or more next to you so frogs can’t bother you.

Frog rain is also useful to kill Goose/Goose and moslings.

Beefalo wool is easy to get, and fuels a fire as much as a log. 

Kill beardlings for easy nm fuel if you can't fight shadows.

Goose can only target one mob at a time, so don't bother to fight it yourself, use beefalos in heat or frog rains.

On 10.6.2019 at 7:55 PM, __IvoCZE__ said:

NO

Wigfrid is good only for starter players as she teaches the bad tanking mechanism which won't get you too far while fighting ANR Bosses/Goose Goose/Bearger

i killed all bosses solo more times then you and all your friends together. you could also count your kills in godmode with 1 hit kill enabled and i would still have more xxD

6 minutes ago, BeliarBAD said:

i killed all bosses solo more times then you and all your friends together. you could also count your kills in godmode with 1 hit kill enabled and i would still have more xxD

oh the edge, it's so sharp i could cut ice with it.

obviously you're wrong because basically endless amount ( cuz everyone is my friend unless i dont wan frend ) can't be less than your amount.

Play and main the character that gives you the most satisfaction and fits your mentality the most.

Whether it be because you want an aggressive playstyle to dominate hostile mobs with Wolfgang or rush ruins and become a lategame god with WX or pull a Wicker book combo to stock you and your friends with tons of resources for days or test your skills o the limits with Wes - its all up to you.

Let nothing and nobody pressure you into picking a top-tier or an ez pick.

However, if you see your team lacking a role you must learn to fill that role whichever character you may be using. The success of your world may depend on it.

Archived