Useful Tips For Old or New Players!

As for tips, im not sure if this counts. But if you have trouble during summer, you can make your base in the desert with the oasis, and your structures wont catch fire. Also, if youre underground, you will not overheat. Also, base structures are not damaged by earthquakes, as long as you can manage your sanity, underground is a very safe base location. 

Also,  try to find and keep note of walrus camps, the mctusk spawn during winter, and drop a caluable sanity boosting hat, and materials for a cane, which boosts your speed and is a weapon with infinite durability

11 minutes ago, Pedrito said:

clickbait. this tips are useless for old players. i was expecting a new exploit or a new way to use something

exploits arent fun

EDIT: yea yea just react to my post and expose yourself as cheater xxxD

2 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Play and main the character that gives you the most satisfaction and fits your mentality the most.

Whether it be because you want an aggressive playstyle to dominate hostile mobs with Wolfgang or rush ruins and become a lategame god with WX or pull a Wicker book combo to stock you and your friends with tons of resources for days or test your skills o the limits with Wes - its all up to you.

Let nothing and nobody pressure you into picking a top-tier or an ez pick.

However, if you see your team lacking a role you must learn to fill that role whichever character you may be using. The success of your world may depend on it.

I agree with that, and it is really inspiring. I didn't mean to tell anyone how to play the game, just maybe some things to help the, out along the way.

On 6/9/2019 at 2:03 PM, Sinister_Fang said:

This only applies to veggies. Cooked meats actually take longer to spoil then raw.

I've done the math before. Skip to the end for a tl;dr.

Cooking food returns 50% of the missing freshness of the food. For example, if you have a raw meat (spoils in 6 days) and then cook it after 3 days (50% freshness) have passed, cooking will return 50% of the missing freshness which is 1.5 days (25%), giving it a new freshness of 75%. A cooked meat spoils in 10 days, so it will spoil in 7.5 days, giving a total spoilage time of 10.5 days. However, let's say you cook it at the very last second at 0% freshness or after 6 days have passed, then it will return 50% freshness, giving the cooked meat 5 more days of spoilage, yielding a total spoilage of 11 days. So it's best to cook a meat as late as possible, or right before you plan to eat or cook it in a crockpot.

However, let's look at monster meat, which has a raw spoilage time of 6 days, and a cooked spoilage time of 15 days. If you cook it immediately, then the monster meat will last 15 days. However, if you cook it at the last possible moment (after 6 days), then it will become a cooked monster meat at 50% freshness which will spoil in 7.5 more days, totaling 13.5 days of spoilage. This means it's best to cook monster meat as soon as possible to prolong spoilage.

So how can we tell when is the best time to cook foods?

Spoilage rate can be modeled by the following formula

Spoiler

EvwPW08.png

where

d = amount of days passed
r = raw spoilage time
c = cooked spoilage time

Basically, it adds the amount of days that have passed, the percent freshness converted to days of the cooked food, and adds the bonus %50 missing freshness converted to days by cooking the food. After doing some algebra, we get that the overall spoilage time is always equal to the cooked spoilage time when c = 2*r. When c > 2*r, (such as in the case of monster meat) the overall spoilage time will be maximized when the food is cooked as soon as possible. When c < 2*r, the overall spoilage time will be maximized when the food is cooked as late as possible. This makes intuitive sense since you're returning half the missing spoilage, so the rate at which the food spoils when cooked should be half that of it's raw spoilage rate to even itself out.

tl;dr

The best time to cook food to maximize its overall spoilage time depends on the the cooked spoilage time and the raw spoilage time.
When the cooked spoilage time is more than twice the raw spoilage time, cook it as soon as possible.
When the cooked spoilage time is less than twice the raw spoilage time, cook it as late as possible.
If the cooked spoilage time is equal to twice the raw spoilage time, it doesn't matter when you cook it.

Here's a table of all the foods that have cooked spoilage times greater than or equal to twice their raw spoilage times.

Spoiler

Monster Meat
Raw: 6 days
Cooked: 15 days

Koalefant Trunk

Fish
Raw: 3 days
Cooked: 6 days

Shipwrecked

Coffee Beans

Roe
Cooked: 10 days

Mussel

Fish Morsel

Fish

12 hours ago, KoreanWaffles said:

I've done the math before. Skip to the end for a tl;dr.

Cooking food returns 50% of the missing freshness of the food. For example, if you have a raw meat (spoils in 6 days) and then cook it after 3 days (50% freshness) have passed, cooking will return 50% of the missing freshness which is 1.5 days (25%), giving it a new freshness of 75%. A cooked meat spoils in 10 days, so it will spoil in 7.5 days, giving a total spoilage time of 10.5 days. However, let's say you cook it at the very last second at 0% freshness or after 6 days have passed, then it will return 50% freshness, giving the cooked meat 5 more days of spoilage, yielding a total spoilage of 11 days. So it's best to cook a meat as late as possible, or right before you plan to eat or cook it in a crockpot.

However, let's look at monster meat, which has a raw spoilage time of 6 days, and a cooked spoilage time of 15 days. If you cook it immediately, then the monster meat will last 15 days. However, if you cook it at the last possible moment (after 6 days), then it will become a cooked monster meat at 50% freshness which will spoil in 7.5 more days, totaling 13.5 days of spoilage. This means it's best to cook monster meat as soon as possible to prolong spoilage.

So how can we tell when is the best time to cook foods?

Spoilage rate can be modeled by the following formula

Hide contents

EvwPW08.png

where

d = amount of days passed
r = raw spoilage time
c = cooked spoilage time

Basically, it adds the amount of days that have passed, the percent freshness converted to days of the cooked food, and adds the bonus %50 missing freshness converted to days by cooking the food. After doing some algebra, we get that the overall spoilage time is always equal to the cooked spoilage time when c = 2*r. When c > 2*r, (such as in the case of monster meat) the overall spoilage time will be maximized when the food is cooked as soon as possible. When c < 2*r, the overall spoilage time will be maximized when the food is cooked as late as possible. This makes intuitive sense since you're returning half the missing spoilage, so the rate at which the food spoils when cooked should be half that of it's raw spoilage rate to even itself out.

tl;dr

The best time to cook food to maximize its overall spoilage time depends on the the cooked spoilage time and the raw spoilage time.
When the cooked spoilage time is more than twice the raw spoilage time, cook it as soon as possible.
When the cooked spoilage time is less than twice the raw spoilage time, cook it as late as possible.
If the cooked spoilage time is equal to twice the raw spoilage time, it doesn't matter when you cook it.

Here's a table of all the foods that have cooked spoilage times greater than or equal to twice their raw spoilage times.

Hide contents

Monster Meat

Koalefant Trunk

Fish

Shipwrecked

Coffee Beans

Roe

Mussel

Fish Morsel

Fish

so the meat in your list should be coocked asap and all other as late as possible and/or before eaten?

thanks a lot for the information.

i have one noob question xD if i have a meat and 3 berries and they are all close to spoilage.(all red) does it change something if i cook them on a fire before i cock them in a crockpot?

On 6/11/2019 at 3:22 PM, Pedrito said:

clickbait. this tips are useless for old players. i was expecting a new exploit or a new way to use something

That would be stupid, if i found an exploit I definitely wouldn't post it. Also, the reason its "For old or new players" Is if in case you for some reason didn't know one of these.

Archived