Pop Guy

Comparison between the basic game, SW and Hamlet on the "missing" contents

Hx380    654
1 hour ago, Pop Guy said:

Number of new characters in H: 3 (Wagstaff is for basic game)

Technically, Hamlet also adds Warbucks but he can only be accesed with commands so its also 4 new characters

Hx380    654
3 minutes ago, theJas0n said:

hamlet is by far the most challenging and unforgiving dlc

theres no endgame dungeon and material because that wasnt the focus of the dlc! think about it. its all about the pig city (the city planning tab is in the same place as obsidian and ancient magic) so really youre being extremely unfair and completely ignorant to say that hamlet is missing something, when in reality its BETTER that we can build a pig city when we could have got another alternate high end crafting station which we already did twice alread

Personally i think Shipwrecked is the most challenging one but i guess it depends on the playstyle

I love building the cities and i always rush skhworthy just to get the key, but its a shame miner/farmer houses and decoration can't be build :c

I consider Hamlet as the dlc centred about mega basing people since its main focus is the city, but hamelt's world seems a bit empty 

• Like 4

Rellimarual    3,821

I guess one thing Hamlet has achieved its that finally people are no longer complaining about SW not being exactly like ROG.

To be fair, you’d need to add to this list the things that are present in Hamlet that aren’t in SW or ROG. Specifically, that would be the shops/currency and, most of all, the interiors, which were the original point of the game in the first place according to the devs. This is the only DLC where the player can add space to a map.

• Like 1

Pop Guy    1,222
Just now, Rellimarual said:

I guess one thing Hamlet has achieved its that finally people are no longer complaining about SW not being exactly like ROG.

To be fair, you’d need to add to this list the things that are present in Hamlet that aren’t in SW or ROG. Specifically, that would be the shops/currency and, most of all, the interiors, which were the original point of the game in the first place according to the devs. This is the only DLC where the player can add space to a map.

I don't have to add to the list all the features that make Hamlet unique. They are many and also very beautiful.
But every "version" of the game has its special and fun features
With this argument I wanted to point out that, indeed, Hamlet lacks several contents common to the other two versions, and that the sense of "emptiness" perceived by a large slice of the community is true.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

FeNniX    138
4 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Number of new characters in H: 3 (Wagstaff is for basic game)

Oh, really?? You are wrong my friend.

Hx380    654
16 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

The main thing complainers about SW complained about was that it was "empty"! That's one reason why this fuss is so hilarious

SW felt empty because the map is huge 

While Hamlet is small 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

SakkeEU    21
6 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Comparison of some contents of DS, SW and H

1. Possibility to regenerate the game world: DS - Yes / SW - Yes / H - No
  2. Particularly difficult and dangerous end-game dungeons: DS - Ruins / SW - Volcano / H - Nothing
  3. End-game material for rare, powerful and strange instruments: DS - Thulecite / SW - Obsidian / H - Nothing
  4. Autochthonous variety of Treeguard and "Totally normal tree": DS - Yes / SW - Yes / H - No (Mandrakes don't are Treeguards)
  5. Hordes of "elemental" enemies in the most advanced stages of the game: DS - Yes / SW - Yes / H - No
  6. Autochthonous variety of animal to hunt: DS - Koalefant, Varg and Ewecus / SW - Whale/Blue Whale / H - Nothing

2. The dangerous end-game content is the aporkalipse, even if it adds very little to the game world. The only thing that makes the volcano dangerous is the ultra bugged altar that makes the eruptions inconsistent and unpredictable.

3. Hamlet has endgame craftables, the problem is that the endgame craftables are already in the game as soon as you spawn into the world: pig cities, endgame content that lets you buy endgame gear on day 1.

• Number of new characters in SW: 4 / Number of new characters in H: 3 (Wagstaff is for basic game)

That's nitpicking.

Other problems that should have been solved in Hamlet:

• Werebeaver drowns when on a boat
  • Wilson's beard is no use.
  • In summer, Wormwood ignites spontaneously (It is not a feature that I believe is desired)

1. and WereWilba transformation is a mess. 

2. You can craft a turf with it.

3. That's cool.

Personal reflections

Some of the shortcomings raised could be solved easily and with little effort:

1. To regenerate the world it would be enough to insert a native variety of Wooden Thing. It would also give a reason enough valid to explore the meanders of the islands.
  2. The ruins of ancient pigs could be an end-game dungeon, if they had more floors and enemies of increasing difficulty. They should also add a new exclusive exotic material of the ruins.
  3. To have four new characters as in SW it would be enough to add Warbucks again. (Or create a new character, but I'm looking for "cheap" solutions)
  4. Wilson's beard could protect him a little from hay fever, increasing the time between sneezing.

1. I agree.

2. No need. Get rid of the pig cities, give the key to an endgame boss (in the ancient pig ruins, why not) and let the players rebuild the cities. I already foresee that no one will like this idea but I think that end game content should be available only in the end game phase of the game.

3. Even if you don't want to count wagstaff as a Hamlet character, 3 unique characters like Wilba, Wormwood and Wheeler are worth 12 SW characters.

Edited by SakkeEU
  • Like 3

Maslak    4,184
7 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

In summer, Wormwood ignites spontaneously (It is not a feature that I believe is desired)

Really? That's hilarious! I can barerly beleive that devs put this in on purpouse, but if they did then that's lovely. I want this to stay in!

42 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Did people like SW's reskins? I'm really surprised at how many complaints there are that every feature from the two past DLCs isn't mindlessly repeated. I wouldn't want them to slap seasonal bats or ro bin transformations into the game, because vampire bats and ro bin both have things setting them apart from their earlier equivalents and shouldn't try to mindlessly copy those equivalents

Yeah, was about to say that. For example I'm all up for some hunting mechanic in Hamlet I want it to be something entirely new. SW copied tracking koalefants and it was very disappointing. Same with other features.

42 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

ro bin transformations

Ro Bin transformations is something I do want to see, though. Both Chester and Packim have transformations but they are not identic. I don't have any ideas for Ro Bin ones, but something could be done.

Worldhopping definitely is needed, but I'd also like it to be something else this time. That's why I made a suggestion some time ago. It's imperfect but interesting in my opinion.

Edited by Maslak
  • Like 2

__IvoCZE__    3,315

Maybe add an batlet ( piglet x bat ) that actually drops bat wings and has rare chance to spawn during bat raids...

• Like 2

QuartzBeam    181
2 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Did people like SW's reskins? I'm really surprised at how many complaints there are that every feature from the two past DLCs isn't mindlessly repeated. I wouldn't want them to slap seasonal bats or ro bin transformations into the game, because vampire bats and ro bin both have things setting them apart from their earlier equivalents and shouldn't try to mindlessly copy those equivalents.

Much as I agree with this, I really don't see what Ro Bin has that sets him apart from his RoG and SW counterparts, except perhaps that he is more tedious to acquire.

Not to mention that, for all the lazy reskins SW has to offer, Packim is most definitely not one of them. He has a unique fish-eating mechanic and both his transformations work in completely different ways than Chester's.If anything, it's Ro Bin who is the lazy reskin in this scenario.

• Like 2

Rellimarual    3,821
2 hours ago, Maslak said:

Yeah, was about to say that. For example I'm all up for some hunting mechanic in Hamlet I want it to be something entirely new. SW copied tracking koalefants and it was very disappointing. Same with other features.

Nah, whale hunting is fun and I like the random loot table. Plus, it’s a blast to fill your harbor with blue whales and have them kill sealnado for you while you kick back and watch.

• Like 1

4 Da LOLs    1,059
7 hours ago, theJas0n said:

youre being extremely unfair and completely ignorant to say that hamlet is missing something, when in reality its BETTER that we can build a pig city when we could have got another alternate high end crafting station which we already did twice already.

i just wanted a good adventure based DLC and this was the most clean shot for one and they just desired to make it off the cites leaving the ruins bare bones and uninteresting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TheKingDedede    2,699
10 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

End-game material for rare, powerful and strange instruments: DS - Thulecite / SW - Obsidian / H - Nothing

Does the Living Artifact count?

Wilson's beard is no use.

You can use beard hair to create that one type of turf that they introduced, though that is arguably something all characters can do when they bring beard hair from, say, RoG.

In summer, Wormwood ignites spontaneously (It is not a feature that I believe is desired)

This might be intentional, considering he can go up in flames if he stands next to a Campfire for too long. Does he smolder before bursting into flames in Summer? He might be able to put it out using Rot before he catches fire.

• Like 1

Caochu    87
53 minutes ago, TheKingDedede said:

He might be able to put it out using Rot before he catches fire.

Yeah, but he isn't. Neither with manure or ice.

• Like 1

Pop Guy    1,222
15 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Did people like SW's reskins? I'm really surprised at how many complaints there are that every feature from the two past DLCs isn't mindlessly repeated. I wouldn't want them to slap seasonal bats or ro bin transformations into the game, because vampire bats and ro bin both have things setting them apart from their earlier equivalents and shouldn't try to mindlessly copy those equivalents.

I never hoped that Klei would copy what he had already done. I hoped, instead, that it would replace the "classic" features with original features of Hamlet. I do not want "elemental" bats, but I would like there to be an analogous system that increases the difficulty of the hordes.
I do not want a hunt equal to that of Koalefant and whales, but I would like there to be a similar system for crossing large areas of the map to track down some rare animal.
I do not want transformations that are the same as Chester's, but unique and original transormations for Ro Bin.

12 hours ago, TheKingDedede said:

Does the Living Artifact count?

In small part: it is as if on DS I could build only the Houndius Shootius after having access to the ancient pseudo-scientific station. It is a first step, but a whole "Living Artifacts" tab would be needed to keep up with the other versions of the game. It is a beautiful object anyway.

12 hours ago, TheKingDedede said:

You can use beard hair to create that one type of turf that they introduced, though that is arguably something all characters can do when they bring beard hair from, say, RoG.

Exactly, the beard as such has no real uses. Not only that, a carpet is still an aesthetic object, it does not give Wilson any advantage to survive. Personally I see it as a small deficiency.

Edited by Pop Guy
  • Like 2

inferjus4    235

Hamlet just lacks in content, that's all. I would not be angry if there would be no things like tracking animals or special end-game dungeon if there would be very basic DS things like tree guards or teleportato (and more original Hamlet content, of course).

• Like 2

QuartzBeam    181

I love how half the forum keeps baselessly asserting that Treeguards are some irreplaceale aspect of any Don't Starve DLC over and over again as if doing so will ever make it true.

The only thing Treeguards were ever useful for was farming living logs. Hamlet already has not one, but two renewable ways to do that exact same thing: the arcane shop and elder mandrakes. Adding Treeguards to Hamlet would add literally nothing of value.

• Like 3

JosePapp    212
4 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

I never hoped that Klei would copy what he had already done. I hoped, instead, that it would replace the "classic" features with original features of Hamlet. I do not want "elemental" bats, but I would like there to be an analogous system that increases the difficulty of the hordes.
I do not want a hunt equal to that of Koalefant and whales, but I would like there to be a similar system for crossing large areas of the map to track down some rare animal.
I do not want transformations that are the same as Chester's, but unique and original transormations for Ro Bin.

In small part: it is as if on DS I could only build only the Houndius Shootius after having access to the ancient pseudo-scientific station. It is a first step, but a whole "Living Artifacts" tab would be needed to keep up with the other versions of the game. It is a beautiful object anyway.

Exactly, the beard as such has no real uses. Not only that, a carpet is still an aesthetic object, it does not give Wilson any advantage to survive. Personally I see it as a small deficiency.

You could have the same beard argument for shipwrecked. 

• Like 1

-Variant    2,025
15 hours ago, FeNniX said:

Wagstaff isn't a Hamlet character.

He's for the main game. 

You can play as him without owning any of the 3 DLCs.

• Like 2

oCrapaCreeper    2,826
15 hours ago, FeNniX said:

Wagstaff is part of the original Don't Starve, no DLC is required to play him. He is the first character added to the original lineup in 6 years.

That's why the people who don't play DLC are all confused as to where he came from.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Like 1

FeNniX    138
4 hours ago, -Variant said:

Wagstaff isn't a Hamlet character.

He's for the main game. 

You can play as him without owning any of the 3 DLCs.

2 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Wagstaff is part of the original Don't Starve, no DLC is required to play him. He is the first character added to the original lineup in 6 years.

That's why the people who don't play DLC are all confused as to where he came from.

We wouldn't have had this character if Hamlet hadn't come out. 

Saying devs only released 3 characters during Hamlet is unfair to them.

• Like 1