Jump to content

Comparison between the basic game, SW and Hamlet on the "missing" contents


Pop Guy

Recommended Posts

Comparison of some contents of DS, SW and H

  1. Possibility to regenerate the game world: DS - Yes / SW - Yes / H - Yes
  2. Particularly difficult and dangerous end-game dungeons: DS - Ruins / SW - Volcano / H - Nothing
  3. End-game material for rare, powerful and strange instruments: DS - Thulecite / SW - Obsidian / H - Nothing
  4. Autochthonous variety of Treeguard and "Totally normal tree": DS - Yes / SW - Yes / H - No (Mandrakes don't are Treeguards)
  5. Hordes of "elemental" enemies in the most advanced stages of the game: DS - Yes / SW - Yes / H - No
  6. Autochthonous variety of animal to hunt: DS - Koalefant, Varg and Ewecus / SW - Whale/Blue Whale / H - Nothing

Let us now analyze other aspects for our analysis:

  • Number of new characters in SW: 4 / Number of new characters in H: 3 (Wagstaff is for basic game)
  • Chester has two transformations, Ro Bin no
  • SW also has a new type of Wickerbottom book and a new kind of shadow

Other problems that should have been solved in Hamlet:

  • Werebeaver drowns when on a boat
  • Wilson's beard is no use.
  • In summer, Wormwood ignites spontaneously (It is not a feature that I believe is desired)

Personal reflections

Some of the shortcomings raised could be solved easily and with little effort:

  1. To regenerate the world it would be enough to insert a native variety of Wooden Thing. It would also give a reason enough valid to explore the meanders of the islands.
  2. The ruins of ancient pigs could be an end-game dungeon, if they had more floors and enemies of increasing difficulty. They should also add a new exclusive exotic material of the ruins.
  3. To have four new characters as in SW it would be enough to add Warbucks again. (Or create a new character, but I'm looking for "cheap" solutions)
  4. Wilson's beard could protect him a little from hay fever, increasing the time between sneezing.

In conclusion, in a comparative analysis Hamlet is actually missing several features that the rest of the game has. These are not trivial things, I understand the discouragement of most users (also seen the highest price of the DLC). Soon I will also publish the results of the survey I held days ago.
If you find other Hamlet deficiencies, I will consider whether to add them to the list.
I hope that Klei takes note of these data, which I think are quite objective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pop Guy said:

Number of new characters in H: 3 (Wagstaff is for basic game)

Technically, Hamlet also adds Warbucks but he can only be accesed with commands so its also 4 new characters

Link to comment
Share on other sites

they could have decided to do any of those things.

i was bummed out when i realised theres no new treeguards but now that i thought about it more i realise its probably a conscious decision. in rog/sw getting a shadow manip early on is incredibly easy but on hamlet its quite a challenge, theres a few ways you can get living logs but theyre all harder to do than on the other dlcs. silk is also extremely hard to get compared to the others and you need to kill birds for the horkus porkusator. im willing to bet they did it on purpose so you HAVE to go out of your way to find living logs instead of handing them to you like with totally normal trees and such. do you seriously believe they couldn't have made a new treeguard if they wanted? look at the ancient hulk. easily the most complex and unique boss so far, im sure they put a lot of time and effort into making it great. would making a treeguard, which doesn't require nearly as many resources to create, with maybe one/two attacks been a challenge for them? probably not. it was on purpose.

hamlet is by far the most challenging and unforgiving dlc, it kind of felt like it actively punishes curiosity more than the others (tuber, ruins early on, poison jungle). resources are extremely scarce and regenerating food sources are mostly located in the pig city.

theres no endgame dungeon and material because that wasnt the focus of the dlc! think about it. its all about the pig city (the city planning tab is in the same place as obsidian and ancient magic) so really youre being extremely unfair and completely ignorant to say that hamlet is missing something, when in reality its BETTER that we can build a pig city when we could have got another alternate high end crafting station which we already did twice already.

game development takes time and resources, hamlet already got delayed a lot so im glad they decided to make it more special instead of more of the same with the time that they had, and it definitely feels very fresh and unique especially the early game. shipwrecked at the beginning in a lot of ways just felt like rog but with a different coat of paint and you can make boats. look at your own list, sw just had "alternate" versions of things already in rog with a few new things but hamlet is totally new in many regards. the community really needs to take a long look in the mirror and maybe think critically for just a minute before making so many unhelpful criticisms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, theJas0n said:

hamlet is by far the most challenging and unforgiving dlc

theres no endgame dungeon and material because that wasnt the focus of the dlc! think about it. its all about the pig city (the city planning tab is in the same place as obsidian and ancient magic) so really youre being extremely unfair and completely ignorant to say that hamlet is missing something, when in reality its BETTER that we can build a pig city when we could have got another alternate high end crafting station which we already did twice alread

Personally i think Shipwrecked is the most challenging one but i guess it depends on the playstyle

I love building the cities and i always rush skhworthy just to get the key, but its a shame miner/farmer houses and decoration can't be build :c

I consider Hamlet as the dlc centred about mega basing people since its main focus is the city, but hamelt's world seems a bit empty 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess one thing Hamlet has achieved its that finally people are no longer complaining about SW not being exactly like ROG.

To be fair, you’d need to add to this list the things that are present in Hamlet that aren’t in SW or ROG. Specifically, that would be the shops/currency and, most of all, the interiors, which were the original point of the game in the first place according to the devs. This is the only DLC where the player can add space to a map.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rellimarual said:

I guess one thing Hamlet has achieved its that finally people are no longer complaining about SW not being exactly like ROG.

To be fair, you’d need to add to this list the things that are present in Hamlet that aren’t in SW or ROG. Specifically, that would be the shops/currency and, most of all, the interiors, which were the original point of the game in the first place according to the devs. This is the only DLC where the player can add space to a map.

I don't have to add to the list all the features that make Hamlet unique. They are many and also very beautiful.
But every "version" of the game has its special and fun features
With this argument I wanted to point out that, indeed, Hamlet lacks several contents common to the other two versions, and that the sense of "emptiness" perceived by a large slice of the community is true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

The main thing complainers about SW complained about was that it was "empty"! That's one reason why this fuss is so hilarious

SW felt empty because the map is huge 

While Hamlet is small 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Comparison of some contents of DS, SW and H

  1. Possibility to regenerate the game world: DS - Yes / SW - Yes / H - No
  2. Particularly difficult and dangerous end-game dungeons: DS - Ruins / SW - Volcano / H - Nothing
  3. End-game material for rare, powerful and strange instruments: DS - Thulecite / SW - Obsidian / H - Nothing
  4. Autochthonous variety of Treeguard and "Totally normal tree": DS - Yes / SW - Yes / H - No (Mandrakes don't are Treeguards)
  5. Hordes of "elemental" enemies in the most advanced stages of the game: DS - Yes / SW - Yes / H - No
  6. Autochthonous variety of animal to hunt: DS - Koalefant, Varg and Ewecus / SW - Whale/Blue Whale / H - Nothing

2. The dangerous end-game content is the aporkalipse, even if it adds very little to the game world. The only thing that makes the volcano dangerous is the ultra bugged altar that makes the eruptions inconsistent and unpredictable.

3. Hamlet has endgame craftables, the problem is that the endgame craftables are already in the game as soon as you spawn into the world: pig cities, endgame content that lets you buy endgame gear on day 1.

6 hours ago, Pop Guy said:
  • Number of new characters in SW: 4 / Number of new characters in H: 3 (Wagstaff is for basic game)

That's nitpicking.

6 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Other problems that should have been solved in Hamlet:

  • Werebeaver drowns when on a boat
  • Wilson's beard is no use.
  • In summer, Wormwood ignites spontaneously (It is not a feature that I believe is desired)

 

1. and WereWilba transformation is a mess. 

2. You can craft a turf with it.

3. That's cool.

6 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Personal reflections

Some of the shortcomings raised could be solved easily and with little effort:

  1. To regenerate the world it would be enough to insert a native variety of Wooden Thing. It would also give a reason enough valid to explore the meanders of the islands.
  2. The ruins of ancient pigs could be an end-game dungeon, if they had more floors and enemies of increasing difficulty. They should also add a new exclusive exotic material of the ruins.
  3. To have four new characters as in SW it would be enough to add Warbucks again. (Or create a new character, but I'm looking for "cheap" solutions)
  4. Wilson's beard could protect him a little from hay fever, increasing the time between sneezing.

1. I agree.

2. No need. Get rid of the pig cities, give the key to an endgame boss (in the ancient pig ruins, why not) and let the players rebuild the cities. I already foresee that no one will like this idea but I think that end game content should be available only in the end game phase of the game.

3. Even if you don't want to count wagstaff as a Hamlet character, 3 unique characters like Wilba, Wormwood and Wheeler are worth 12 SW characters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did people like SW's reskins? I'm really surprised at how many complaints there are that every feature from the two past DLCs isn't mindlessly repeated. I wouldn't want them to slap seasonal bats or ro bin transformations into the game, because vampire bats and ro bin both have things setting them apart from their earlier equivalents and shouldn't try to mindlessly copy those equivalents.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

In summer, Wormwood ignites spontaneously (It is not a feature that I believe is desired)

Really? That's hilarious! I can barerly beleive that devs put this in on purpouse, but if they did then that's lovely. I want this to stay in!

42 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Did people like SW's reskins? I'm really surprised at how many complaints there are that every feature from the two past DLCs isn't mindlessly repeated. I wouldn't want them to slap seasonal bats or ro bin transformations into the game, because vampire bats and ro bin both have things setting them apart from their earlier equivalents and shouldn't try to mindlessly copy those equivalents

Yeah, was about to say that. For example I'm all up for some hunting mechanic in Hamlet I want it to be something entirely new. SW copied tracking koalefants and it was very disappointing. Same with other features.

42 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

ro bin transformations

Ro Bin transformations is something I do want to see, though. Both Chester and Packim have transformations but they are not identic. I don't have any ideas for Ro Bin ones, but something could be done.

Worldhopping definitely is needed, but I'd also like it to be something else this time. That's why I made a suggestion some time ago. It's imperfect but interesting in my opinion.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Did people like SW's reskins? I'm really surprised at how many complaints there are that every feature from the two past DLCs isn't mindlessly repeated. I wouldn't want them to slap seasonal bats or ro bin transformations into the game, because vampire bats and ro bin both have things setting them apart from their earlier equivalents and shouldn't try to mindlessly copy those equivalents.

 

Much as I agree with this, I really don't see what Ro Bin has that sets him apart from his RoG and SW counterparts, except perhaps that he is more tedious to acquire.

 

Not to mention that, for all the lazy reskins SW has to offer, Packim is most definitely not one of them. He has a unique fish-eating mechanic and both his transformations work in completely different ways than Chester's.If anything, it's Ro Bin who is the lazy reskin in this scenario.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Maslak said:

Yeah, was about to say that. For example I'm all up for some hunting mechanic in Hamlet I want it to be something entirely new. SW copied tracking koalefants and it was very disappointing. Same with other features.

Nah, whale hunting is fun and I like the random loot table. Plus, it’s a blast to fill your harbor with blue whales and have them kill sealnado for you while you kick back and watch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, theJas0n said:

youre being extremely unfair and completely ignorant to say that hamlet is missing something, when in reality its BETTER that we can build a pig city when we could have got another alternate high end crafting station which we already did twice already.

i just wanted a good adventure based DLC and this was the most clean shot for one and they just desired to make it off the cites leaving the ruins bare bones and uninteresting

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

End-game material for rare, powerful and strange instruments: DS - Thulecite / SW - Obsidian / H - Nothing

Does the Living Artifact count?

10 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Wilson's beard is no use.

You can use beard hair to create that one type of turf that they introduced, though that is arguably something all characters can do when they bring beard hair from, say, RoG.

10 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

In summer, Wormwood ignites spontaneously (It is not a feature that I believe is desired)

This might be intentional, considering he can go up in flames if he stands next to a Campfire for too long. Does he smolder before bursting into flames in Summer? He might be able to put it out using Rot before he catches fire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Did people like SW's reskins? I'm really surprised at how many complaints there are that every feature from the two past DLCs isn't mindlessly repeated. I wouldn't want them to slap seasonal bats or ro bin transformations into the game, because vampire bats and ro bin both have things setting them apart from their earlier equivalents and shouldn't try to mindlessly copy those equivalents.

I never hoped that Klei would copy what he had already done. I hoped, instead, that it would replace the "classic" features with original features of Hamlet. I do not want "elemental" bats, but I would like there to be an analogous system that increases the difficulty of the hordes.
I do not want a hunt equal to that of Koalefant and whales, but I would like there to be a similar system for crossing large areas of the map to track down some rare animal.
I do not want transformations that are the same as Chester's, but unique and original transormations for Ro Bin.

12 hours ago, TheKingDedede said:

Does the Living Artifact count?

In small part: it is as if on DS I could build only the Houndius Shootius after having access to the ancient pseudo-scientific station. It is a first step, but a whole "Living Artifacts" tab would be needed to keep up with the other versions of the game. It is a beautiful object anyway.

12 hours ago, TheKingDedede said:

You can use beard hair to create that one type of turf that they introduced, though that is arguably something all characters can do when they bring beard hair from, say, RoG.

Exactly, the beard as such has no real uses. Not only that, a carpet is still an aesthetic object, it does not give Wilson any advantage to survive. Personally I see it as a small deficiency.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hamlet just lacks in content, that's all. I would not be angry if there would be no things like tracking animals or special end-game dungeon if there would be very basic DS things like tree guards or teleportato (and more original Hamlet content, of course).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love how half the forum keeps baselessly asserting that Treeguards are some irreplaceale aspect of any Don't Starve DLC over and over again as if doing so will ever make it true.

The only thing Treeguards were ever useful for was farming living logs. Hamlet already has not one, but two renewable ways to do that exact same thing: the arcane shop and elder mandrakes. Adding Treeguards to Hamlet would add literally nothing of value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

I never hoped that Klei would copy what he had already done. I hoped, instead, that it would replace the "classic" features with original features of Hamlet. I do not want "elemental" bats, but I would like there to be an analogous system that increases the difficulty of the hordes.
I do not want a hunt equal to that of Koalefant and whales, but I would like there to be a similar system for crossing large areas of the map to track down some rare animal.
I do not want transformations that are the same as Chester's, but unique and original transormations for Ro Bin.

In small part: it is as if on DS I could only build only the Houndius Shootius after having access to the ancient pseudo-scientific station. It is a first step, but a whole "Living Artifacts" tab would be needed to keep up with the other versions of the game. It is a beautiful object anyway.

Exactly, the beard as such has no real uses. Not only that, a carpet is still an aesthetic object, it does not give Wilson any advantage to survive. Personally I see it as a small deficiency.

 

You could have the same beard argument for shipwrecked. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, FeNniX said:

Oh, really?? You are wrong my friend.

Wagstaff is part of the original Don't Starve, no DLC is required to play him. He is the first character added to the original lineup in 6 years.

That's why the people who don't play DLC are all confused as to where he came from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, -Variant said:

Wagstaff isn't a Hamlet character.

He's for the main game. 

You can play as him without owning any of the 3 DLCs.

 

2 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Wagstaff is part of the original Don't Starve, no DLC is required to play him. He is the first character added to the original lineup in 6 years.

That's why the people who don't play DLC are all confused as to where he came from.

We wouldn't have had this character if Hamlet hadn't come out. 

Saying devs only released 3 characters during Hamlet is unfair to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...