In three weeks this place will be overrun with newbs. Let's treat them kindly.

ONI officially releases three weeks from today.  We're likely to see an influx of new posters, and many of them are going to be asking basic questions that we've answered hundreds of times already.  Let's continue to make this community a great one by being welcoming, patient, and helpful when they get here.  :)

1 hour ago, chemie said:

Is there that many steam users who simply refuse to buy early access but then buy on release?  They said they sold 1.5 million copies in EA already

Unless it's a known company I have little faith in EA for most publishers.  I rarely buy early access games.  Klei is a known entity for me so I had more faith in them actually producing a fun and reasonably glitch free product.  I personally find...

23 minutes ago, blacknight7890 said:

They are what I call, suckers.

… that is what I feel like when I get into an EA game, and it never gets anywhere fun.  So, I stopped buying stuff like that.  Including most AAA titles.  Preorder?  Noooo…. not anymore!

As to the actual posting here...

1 hour ago, goboking said:

ONI officially releases three weeks from today.  We're likely to see an influx of new posters, and many of them are going to be asking basic questions that we've answered hundreds of times already.  Let's continue to make this community a great one by being welcoming, patient, and helpful when they get here.  :)

You mean we *shouldn't* stick them under the chlorine pool and let their flesh flay itself off?  Awwww.   That seemed like fun.  Well, since you asked nicely, I suppose we can let them survive...  No oxygen though!  Gotta bring their own!

2 hours ago, goboking said:

So we build a mass vomitorium / Powerslave room and lock them into it?

13 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

Unless it's a known company I have little faith in EA for most publishers.  I rarely buy early access games.  Klei is a known entity for me so I had more faith in them actually producing a fun and reasonably glitch free product.  I personally find...

What did it for me early 2018 was that they already had a game that was working well and fun to play. I would say I definitely got my money's worth in a few weeks back then. Will buy the DLCs sight unseen just to give them a bit more money for what I already got. 

45 minutes ago, suicide commando said:

So we build a mass vomitorium / Powerslave room and lock them into it?

Sounds about right. In true ONI style you pump the p water though a chlorine room to make it sterile, then you put it through a water sieve. After that it's the electrolyzer, followed by gas cooling. The end result is liquid hydrogen and oxygen. In other words we need to put the new players into the newly created vomitorium in order to get rocket fuel to get away from all the questions we already know the answers to. This means new players will be both the problem and the solution at the same time.

Oh and we naturally fill the vomitorium with manual generators. Ideally the system should be self powering.

When I first started playing, I used the wiki to get information. With most games I buy nowadays, I head to the wiki as my first go to. After learning that the ONI wiki was never up-to-date (somewhat frustrating), I found my way here. I wonder what percent of players start in the wiki before coming here?

Should we be spending the next 3 weeks updating the wiki? For example, the "Guide/Piping" page hasn't been updated since the Rocketry update. This guide could easily be updated to include lots more useful stuff that forum enthusiasts know. As another example, @JohnFrancis could add his guides page with YouTube videos to a static place in the wiki. We could easily answer lots of questions by pointing to a common place on the wiki. For the newbies, this would also eliminate requiring them to read through 5 pages of comments (sometimes quite fun debates), and simplify their reading to a couple key paragraphs. Here is one reason I hope that we get a preview to the final update, as it would  give motivation to update the wiki. Right now, I doubt anyone wants to sink a lot of time into a wiki, where we know that the game will have quite a few major changes in 3 weeks. 

The wiki is much more "searchable" than the forums. Because of this thread, I decided to update my profile with an example of how to search the forums and find just about anything, quickly. 

8 hours ago, mathmanican said:

Should we be spending the next 3 weeks updating the wiki?

I think so. Ideally the wiki should be up to date for the newest release at all time. It isn't right now. Also navigation is a bit wonky. Take for instance Power. It's a good page, but if you click on the Steam Turbine, you will notice that both category and effect in the overview box links to Power. However despite being named the same, they link to two different pages. This makes it very confusing. At the bottom you can see which tags the building has and the steam turbine is a generator. Sounds right, but if you click it, you will get to a page with just the steam turbine as in no other power producing building has been tagged as generator.

The steam turbine states that it requires at least 125 C steam to start, but if you click on steam in that line you will get to a page about steam, which states the steam turbine requires 226.9 C. It would be wise to not talk about the steam turbine mechanics on the steam page, only mention that the steam turbine relies on steam and if people want to know more, they can click on the steam turbine link. In general information about a building, concept, element or whatever should be on the page for the item in question, not spread across multiple pages. The exception is overview pages, which can list multiple items, like the metal refinery, which lists temperature increase in commonly used materials.

The wiki is a gem even for veteran players. Sure we can remember all the buildings, but I bet none of us can remember all the math mentioned on the wiki, like the amount of DTUs required by the steam turbine to make one joule. I'm approaching 1k played hours and I still haven't grown completely passed the wiki.

Another issue I just noticed is the power transformer. The small transformer is outdated while the large transformer has a description of the transformer concept. That is a stupid layout because new players will read the small one first. Instead both pages should be minimalistic and instead link to a page telling about transformers in general, circuit overload and ideas on how to avoid them.

Release or no release, the wiki is in need of an update and a cleanup. Particularly the navigation requires a rethink. Ideally we should have a page for each building category (like Power), a page for each building telling about that building specifically and then pages about tips and strategies on how to use them efficiently.

Despite having written all this, I don't think I'm the right person to actually go through the wiki and do all this stuff. The main issue is that for every hour I would spend on the wiki would be an hour less spend on modding. From a community productivity point of view it would be far more efficient if the wiki is maintained by people who wouldn't mod anyway.

15 hours ago, chemie said:

Is there that many steam users who simply refuse to buy early access but then buy on release?  They said they sold 1.5 million copies in EA already

Remember that many popular streamers might try the game at release. When i first heard about ONI a few of them mentioned they will wait for full release to not spoil the fun for themselves by playing early. There will be a lot of people that never heard about ONI before comming in just based on the streamers (even a single popular streamer can bring thousends of people).

It would be nice to make an ONI FAQ thread a few days after release to house answers to the most common questions.

18 hours ago, chemie said:

Is there that many steam users who simply refuse to buy early access but then buy on release?

That'll be me from now on. My last two early access purchased games were Rimworld and ONI and they have both had mechanisms introduced just before full release that have taken a lot of enjoyment out of the game, so I shall not be buying any more early access games.

Klei really need to switch the Job/skill system back. The skill point spending is such an unoriginal and outdated idea it trumps germs for the worst thing to have in a game now.

37 minutes ago, Optic Axis said:

That'll be me from now on. My last two early access purchased games were Rimworld and ONI and they have both had mechanisms introduced just before full release that have taken a lot of enjoyment out of the game, so I shall not be buying any more early access games.

Klei really need to switch the Job/skill system back. The skill point spending is such an unoriginal and outdated idea it trumps germs for the worst thing to have in a game now.

I have really enjoyed the past 2 years.  I got a new game to play every 6 weeks!  But it was $25 and I was happy with state of game when I bought and I assumed that was worst case as I felt it was still justified if that was all it ever was.  we all have had bad EA experiences...I know Ashes of singularity with their release and then suddenly new game with all the content backers wanted (plus game play never lived up to being fun like sup commander was) made me feel abused and jaded.

4 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Remember that many popular streamers might try the game at release. When i first heard about ONI a few of them mentioned they will wait for full release to not spoil the fun for themselves by playing early. There will be a lot of people that never heard about ONI before comming in just based on the streamers (even a single popular streamer can bring thousends of people).

It would be nice to make an ONI FAQ thread a few days after release to house answers to the most common questions.

agree.  the game has changed so much there us a lot of outdated stuff that Google will take new players to

1 hour ago, Optic Axis said:

I don't get your logic. If the game is fun in early access and then not so much anymore after release, should you not aim to play in early access? I know I got my money's worth several times over by now. Even if they completely botch the release, I shall count myself very satisfied with what I got.

59 minutes ago, chemie said:

I have really enjoyed the past 2 years.  I got a new game to play every 6 weeks! 

Same here. The game was fun in the beginning and the changes kept things interesting. I also have to admit I do not really get the criticism for the last few changes. The only thing I felt was a real decrease in quality was the map-size reduction, but I get that it was needed.

5 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

I like the idea. And we should version it, and so have a newer FAQ regularly. Since we probably will not get a pinned thread for this and the most useful info should be at the start, that may be the best way to do it.

21 hours ago, goboking said:

i;d hope the community here would do this without mention but no harm in talking about it

7 hours ago, Nightinggale said:

Ideally the wiki should be up to date for the newest release at all time.

"Ideally" is the key word. Unrealistic is my response. Without a preview branch to know what will or will not change, motivation to fix pages is very low. It takes a lot of time to put together nicely written stuff. Knowing I may have to throw it away in 3 weeks.....

Let's move any discussion about the wiki over to the thread below.

Spoiler

58 minutes ago, DaveSatx said:

i;d hope the community here would do this without mention but no harm in talking about it

Agreed. :)  

thanks guys. Things can get pretty nasty around here towards people with 'ideas' that reveal some inexperience, also towards people with beginner questions or misconceptions.

9 minutes ago, avc15 said:

thanks guys. Things can get pretty nasty around here towards people with 'ideas' that reveal some inexperience, also towards people with beginner questions or misconceptions.

Same between the different camps defined by play style. Lets just all assume that _your_ specific goals and way of doing things is _not_ the only good or sane one, but that other approaches and goals have merit too. 

For example, we will get a lot of "what is the best way to do xyz" questions, and there will not be definite answers. The only definite answer we can give is "figure out what you like best" and then give a few options.

A tangential question I have to the expected influx of new players to the forums:

Should we perhaps have a dedicated forum where those of us diving deeply into game mechanics and intricate builds such as oil boilers can post, share and discuss? A well written post explaining to new players how an oil boiler works along with annotated pictures takes a lot more time to make than your average forum post, due to having to make the build ingame (possibly in debug in a presentable fashion) and to write the post. The volume of new posts in the general forum is already high enough to push such tutorials/shared builds/game mechanics threads off the first page pretty easily unless the discussion is constantly bumped. Having them in a separate forum would also turn that forum into a repository of ideas and information for players new and veteran.

Archived