How do you feel about Wheeler?

What do you guys think about:

a. her inventory space

b. her gun

c. her navigadget?

IMO she needs a bit of extra base speed to compensate for the lack of inventory space.. that change would fit her character very well.. cuz she "travels light," ...in fact.. she travels 5 inventory slots light... and it would very fun as well.

I've already compiled a lot of the graphical issues in another thread.. so it would be very useful to hear from people that consider her useless like @Russian Philin (i saw your meme :P) and maybe some suggestions on how to improve her...

edit---

this is probably a much better alternative to base speed that @Angel_Octoling and I were brainstorming together:

The more she moves, the quicker she gets, the more hunger she uses.

How about when she's moving quickly, and she dodges, her dodge is longer/moves further, but when it ends she has to rebuild speed again? Maybe not start as slow as when you start, but a smidge bit slower.

3 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

What do you guys think about:

a. her inventory space

b. her gun

c. her navigadget?

IMO she needs a bit of extra base speed to compensate for the lack of inventory space.. that change would fit her character very well.. cuz she "travels light," ...in fact.. she travels 5 inventory slots light... and it would very fun as well.

I've already compiled a lot of the graphical issues in another thread.. so it would be very useful to hear from people that consider her useless like @Russian Philin (i saw your meme :P) and maybe some suggestions on how to improve her...

: (

I don't think it's useless. I don't think it's very interesting :0 And I said that's my opinion ;) It's the only character that made me sad. She needs more interesting mechanics :D

Her lower inventory space is annoying. Just annoying. Especially with her traits being mostly focused on early game.

I love the gun. Finally a way to put asparagus to good use. But it loses its use later on. 

Navigadget has some uses but i don't really like the idea . It also becomes completely useless later on. 

Dash needs some work . It can be used to avoid hits without having to run making fights a bit quicker , but its bugged with double dash and it sometimes gives her invincibility till next dash. 

Her hairstyle needs some fixing beacause it clips thought the hats

Hmm what I think abour Wheeler?
1. Design

I really love her curly hair but its bugged, few hats dont work well. Also ... why Klei trying to make new characters with darker tan. In Shipwrecked was same problem but their skin isnt so annoying. In Hamlet we have strong green Wormwood, EXTREMALY stron pink Pig princess [yea forgot name xD] and had Warbuck with TOTALY orange skin. 

I feel like Hamlet was make by totally diferent studio. What just trying to copy Tim Burton and Klei style.

2. Mechanics

Wheeler is character with poor mechanics. 

• Smaller inventory? OMG why? With normal invenory and backpack is hard to carrying all items what we want.
• Her gun? I dont have bad feels. Why? Because when I tried I had lucky and never lost ammo. I love idea with small container for ammo.

• Dash? Sounds good, but Im not sure about working well. But I dont have idea about fix it.

And its all? Oh come on Klei. 
You can add her mechanic which Warbucks had - with oincs. Or she can feel better in ruins. Or excavation of artefacts can adding more sanity.

her negative is so much worse than her positives are useful nor does the negative interesting enough to give you any reason to play as her.

the gun is borderline useless the best use is killing birds or the bandit which other ranged do way better otherwise it does almost no damage and is bugged.

for the Navigadget its neat but isn't really useful unless you want to locate very specific items(not sure if you can put dug up plants in it to find others) and some of the time its just wrong.

the dodge is clunky and doesn't really help in combat as the dodge is at a constant speed so if you have enough speed modifiers its actually slower than just walking.

3/10 boring

Wheeler herself, that is, her design and personality, I like. She's spunky!

(And personally I think she's a worthy successor to Warbucks don't @ me)

Her mechanics however... leave a lot to be desire. Her starting items are good for early game, but eventually become obsolete, and don't outweigh the diminished inventory.

1 hour ago, SkylordElberich said:

Wheeler herself, that is, her design and personality, I like. She's spunky!

(And personally I think she's a worthy successor to Warbucks don't @ me)

Her mechanics however... leave a lot to be desire. Her starting items are good for early game, but eventually become obsolete, and don't outweigh the diminished inventory.

I think her designed is pretty bad... her hair is weird from the back.. there are a lot of issues with animations in general

I hate her depressive face.. it's such a contratiction

her lines I adore.. I think she is an atomic bomb... so sassy.. so bad ass.. so full of life... ergo why I hate that stupid sad face

her mechanics are .. meh.. .. dunno.. feels like Wilba pre-transformation...

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

IMO she needs a bit of extra base speed to compensate for the lack of inventory space..

Oh god no, there's a reason every character moves at the same speed, and it's because it breaks a lot of bosses cause you can just bait them and never get hit.

Being able to do that without paying the price for expensive movement options is too OP, not to mention the fact that you could also combine her base speed with those items anyways.

Klei have had a really bad problem with making characters based around their items, and kinda just throwing a bunch of mechanics at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Almost every post Reign of Giant's character just has some pointless unique abilities that don't fundamentally change the way you play the game.

With the exception of Wormwood, whose lack of health options forces you to actually farm for healing items, and the materials you have to farm provide a unique change in the typical playstyle.

Frankly, I don't think there's that much left to do in terms of unique characters. They are running dry, which is understandable as they now have 21 playable characters across all versions of the game.

36 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Oh god no, there's a reason every character moves at the same speed, and it's because it breaks a lot of bosses cause you can just bait them and never get hit.

Being able to do that without paying the price for expensive movement options is too OP, not to mention the fact that you could also combine her base speed with those items anyways.

Klei have had a really bad problem with making characters based around their items, and kinda just throwing a bunch of mechanics at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Almost every post Reign of Giant's character just has some pointless unique abilities that don't fundamentally change the way you play the game.

With the exception of Wormwood, whose lack of health options forces you to actually farm for healing items, and the materials you have to farm provide a unique change in the typical playstyle.

Frankly, I don't think there's that much left to do in terms of unique characters. They are running dry, which is understandable as they now have 21 playable characters across all versions of the game.

not all character move the same speed... Wolfy moves faster when mighty and Wilbur moves faster while running and then we got broken WX that when overcharged moves faster than anyone.. which stacks with a walking stick or cane and coffee... so... there is a precedent in the game for movement speed increased... it's nothing new  

I never said tier god speed.. maybe a bit faster... I'm never for OP concepts.. but she does carry less.. so logically she could possibly move a tiny bit faster

btw there is coffee so the idea of not being able to get caught by mobs is not supported by the game.. maybe that applies in dst... but not really in ds

also about unique characters.... Wormwood is actually unique

I was really hoping that the silhouette was gonna be a lady adventurer, and I got what I wanted! As I said in the Suggestions subforum, I don't like her ingame sprite. I haven't read all her quotes, but from what I've seen I like.

The "gun" is kinda cool. I found out that the damage depends on the ammo. Good ammo hits 37 and bad ammo hits 17. I don't know if distance affects damage though. One of the good ammo items is Stingers, which I guess is nice considering Stingers are one of the excess useless items.

I keep seeing people say she should move quicker.
I don't like this idea, but I do like the idea of her revolving around speed.

I think it should be like Wilbur, run a bit, and get faster.
Though, to make it unique, make her slowly build up speed, rather than suddenly start running. 

OR, have her speed revolve around her actions, as in, the more she works, (chops, mines, crafts) the quicker/more energized she'll be for a small while. Could also apply to fighting.

7 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

I keep seeing people say she should move quicker.
I don't like this idea, but I do like the idea of her revolving around speed.

I think it should be like Wilbur, run a bit, and get faster.
Though, to make it unique, make her slowly build up speed, rather than suddenly start running. 

this is a cool idea.. like she sprints a little bit

she could like consume food a bit faster while sprinting to compensate.. that might be cool

8 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

OR, have her speed revolve around her actions, as in, the more she works, (chops, mines, crafts) the quicker/more energized she'll be for a small while. Could also apply to fighting.

faster around tasks... dunno about that.. she isn't very interested on crafting or chopping or stuff like that to make it a thing.. while a way to move faster is way more on point with her character design

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

this is a cool idea.. like she sprints a little bit

she could like consume food a bit faster while sprinting to compensate.. that might be cool

Here, let's build on this.

How about when she's moving quickly, and she dodges, her dodge is longer/moves further, but when it ends she has to rebuild speed again? Maybe not start as slow as when you start, but a smidge bit slower.

Just now, Angel_Octoling said:

Here, let's build on this.

sounds good... I mean actual physics.. when u stop you are indeed a bit slower until u regain momentum ... so yeap.. sounds about right

I personally really like Wheeler's perks and drawbacks!

2 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

a. her inventory space

I don't mind the 5 extra slots gone, I don't mind carrying a backpack at all times, maybe even a piggyback if I need the slots.

b. her gun

Confusing tbh. I like the idea of it but I think it's bugged atm with 1 stack items not dealing any damage. Also I don't know if stacking different items inside has different damage outputs, and what can/can't be loaded.

c. her navigadget?

Her compass is the most useful item I could've asked for. Being able to pinpoint even the rarest of items from across the map is an A+ in my book. If she were to be ported to DST she'll make finding the ruins a cinch!

she needs a bit of extra base speed

I don't agree with this. To me her character is balanced wonderfully. She doesn't need a base speed boost because her dodge already acts as a psuedo-dash. Dodging once doesn't really get you anywhere, but if you spam the button twice you can get two dodges with no cooldown for extra distance.

2 minutes ago, Chris1448 said:

Confusing tbh. I like the idea of it but I think it's bugged atm with 1 stack items not dealing any damage. Also I don't know if stacking different items inside has different damage outputs, and what can/can't be loaded.

her gun doesn't have different dmg modifiers with different items.. you can deal the same dmg with a twig and a rock... that's probably good for a rework

4 minutes ago, Chris1448 said:

Her compass is the most useful item I could've asked for. Being able to pinpoint even the rarest of items from across the map is an A+ in my book. If she were to be ported to DST she'll make finding the ruins a cinch!

I agree.. this is her hightlight BUT i think you are a bit unclear on what it CAN actually do...

how can u find the ruins fast when u don't have thulecite in the first place?.. only when u are in the ruins you can get thulecite.. so .. I don't think so really.. which rare items you mean? the guardian is ez to find with a thulecite amulet.. so there is that.. and there is nothing on the floor to guide you to the atrium

IMO it's far more useful in SW than dst..

u can put one doydoy and it takes you to the next doydoy... and it can take you to more gold islands.. other bottles with treasures.. the slot machine with doubloons... I mean... that's quite a lot

9 minutes ago, Chris1448 said:

I don't agree with this. To me her character is balanced wonderfully. She doesn't need a base speed boost because her dodge already acts as a psuedo-dash. Dodging once doesn't really get you anywhere, but if you spam the button twice you can get two dodges with no cooldown for extra distance.

then this... 

14 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

15 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

10 minutes ago, Chris1448 said:

Just a bit curious which items? I can't really think of any items I have trouble finding.

Just now, FreyaMaluk said:

how can u find the ruins fast when u don't have thulecite in the first place?

Ruins gems from tumbleweeds, I know you need one of the ruins items to locate more of them.

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

IMO it's far more useful in SW than dst

I agree too, but a few items from there are bugged with the navigator, like vines don't point out more vine bushes.

1 minute ago, FreyaMaluk said:

her gun doesn't have different dmg modifiers with different items.. you can deal the same dmg with a twig and a rock... that's probably good for a rework

Actually, Rocks should do 37 and Twigs do the regular 34

1 minute ago, Chris1448 said:

Ruins gems from tumbleweeds, I know you need one of the ruins items to locate more of them.

I agree too, but a few items from there are bugged with the navigator, like vines don't point out more vine bushes.

hmmm ruins gems.. that's a bit unlikely.. but you could try.. the problem is that you have to juggle her navigator and a cane to not miss the tumbleweed... 

yeap.. I mean the navigator isn't perfect.. but very cool indeed.. I hope they fix some of the remaining issues

2 minutes ago, Bluegeist said:

Actually, Rocks should do 37 and Twigs do the regular 34

I hope the devs make a table with different items iwth different dmg... it's a bit stupid a twig deals the same dmg as a rock.. kinda broken if you think about it

3 minutes ago, Computer-7 said:

Just a bit curious which items?

Well not just items, but monsters too. A tactic I wanted to try is to use one of MacTusk's drops during Winter to keep tabs on when he respawns. Along with collecting gems in the caves via earthquakes and other means. You can also use it in SW to find some islands quickly where items are few and far between, like the Doydoys, as Freya said.

Just now, Chris1448 said:

Well not just items, but monsters too. A tactic I wanted to try is to use one of MacTusk's drops during Winter to keep tabs on when he respawns. Along with collecting gems in the caves via earthquakes and other means. You can also use it in SW to find some islands quickly where items are few and far between, like the Doydoys, as Freya said.

monsters drops dont guide you to monster.. for now...

only one I saw it works is the depth worms with the glow berries.. as a general rule ´monster drops dont woprk.. with some exceptions

Archived