Make winter great again initiative !

Hi you all,

Does any of you remember the good old days in Vanilla DS when Winter was the big deal ? Since Reign of Giants, DS and DST got the addition of spring and summer and i feel like winter doesnt have the glory it used to have. For example :

------------------Summer-----------------------

~has smoldering that can be quite a pain in some situation.

~overheating (same mechanic that winter has)

~Red hound, that can cause massive fire spread

---------------------Spring----------------------

~has heavy rains wich bring quick insanity without the proper gear

~frog rain

~bees that goes berserk

~In heat beefs

You get the point. Winter doesnt really bug the survival mechanic. Its just kind of there. It would be cool if new mechanics were added to winter to make it a bit more interesting and unique as a season.

#I thought structures (ex. Alchemy machine) could have a small chance to get covered up in snow and that you would need a shovel to access it ! Shoveling a snowed structure would yield one ice and reenable the structure to be used.

#Having snow storm that spawn for about 4 to 5 min that covers the map, a bit like a sand storm in the oasis, would be an interesting thing. You could wear the Desert goggles to walk normaly. It would make items like the puffy vest a bit more viable since you wouldnt have a head winter piece.

So thats pretty much my ideas if you people out there have ideas feel free to leave them down below.

Have a good day !

Id personally adore any new challenges thrown my way, however, I realize that not everyone is that experienced.

BUUUUUUUUUUT, I don't remember the last time I saw someone die of freezing, so it's two thumbs up from me.

Get rid of ice as filler. Literally all you have to do is kill 1 rabbit / couple spiders per day and mine some ice and you’ve filled your belly for one day. Meatballs are stupid OP and it makes winter a joke.

Other then that, some blizzards would be pretty cool.

Winter has always been the same, you stopped dying during it because you learned how to play the game and grew as a player. #philosophic

But yeah, I would like harsh and challenging seasons, though it is not gonna happen. 

Winter is cool (no pun intended) if you ask me, but summer needs more stuff.  Winter has snowbirds, MacTusk, summer has nothing in place.  We need a summer variant of these, perhaps canary’s spawn in summer (Which is there molting season) but idk how to replace MacTusks.  Winter has Klaus, a whole later game boss, and no eyed deer which are amazing, summer has none of this.  Make summer great again!  (I actually did not realize that the title of this post said “make winter great again” so no pun intended, I guess...)

I love the idea of snowstorms, but I think, that it should come with shelters of some sort, like bigger tents, working like houses in Hamlet.

Also, the snow could be a special mechanic itself - like when there is a lot of it, characters walk slower and freeze faster. May be it could lead to the whole new foot-slot, where you can wear some snow-stompers and some more seasonal shoes.

Snowstorms would be pretty cool as a customizable condition that would decrease insulation protection for a while(you would need more clothes or warm up more often) and I imagine it would give rainometer, winterometer and caves more value. About the sandstorm effect in the whole map it would be too much I think because it would make goggles mandatory to play the game and that's not nice. Maybe around Mactusk area with an increase in items drop chance; the harder, the better rewards.

31 minutes ago, seffard said:

About the sandstorm effect in the whole map it would be too much I think because it would make goggles mandatory to play the game and that's not nice. Maybe around Mactusk area with an increase in items drop chance.

Whole map, but periodically during the winter.

imo seasons should be given more beef and mechanics in general, but locked behind year 2 and beyond - with each one selecting a few elements from unique tables of cool new interesting stuff for each season in each year... i.e for Winter: snowstorm + hibernating creatures, hailstorm + low-ice formations, etc.

This would greatly increase the interest in late-game servers and vary the experience and playstyle of players in order to adapt to these random, new elements past the first year - which I feel should be kept simpler and easier for a server starting out in general.

(This would also allow for crazier ideas like global goggles-requiring snowstorms suggested in the thread to be possible, since players would be able to unlock goggles and similar resources/equipment in year 1)

If a snowstorm would be similar to Oasis' one in summer it will only promote "turtling-in" behavior - same as some sudden freezing-event if not sitting around a roaring fire. Both just hamper players in an annoying way, not actually providing fun. Fun comes from rewards and thrills. Gaining something (can argue it can be thrilling surviving experience - but isn't as satisfying as something more tangible). Au contraire, we would need more seasonal reasons to go in certain locations like with MacTusks - for gaining useful new items. Even though one can argue Winter already has mentioned MacTs, Deerclops plus Klaus. And Summer gets Antlion plus Ruins dive, traditionally if one isn't an early rusher. But yes, all seasons should give more opportunities and I do believe the new announced content for this year will provide them in some capacities.

I see your point but IMO winters are always very busy... 

- Looking for cane and Tam

- Killing Dfly if I didn't kill her before

- Hunting for Koalas

- Gathering Ice and Logs

- Killing Klaus

Tbh I don't see where the "boring" part comes from...

-----------

I really like the "frozen" alchemy engine and the snowstorms tho... that would be interesting

7 hours ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

Winter is cool (no pun intended) if you ask me, but summer needs more stuff.  Winter has snowbirds, MacTusk, summer has nothing in place.  We need a summer variant of these, perhaps canary’s spawn in summer (Which is there molting season) but idk how to replace MacTusks.  Winter has Klaus, a whole later game boss, and no eyed deer which are amazing, summer has none of this. 

Summer gets the Antlion and the Oasis. 

I want skis and make with them some parkour or jumping around like in SSX3 game but in ds style then i want ice skates imagine sw but sea in winter goes frozen complete so you can use them and move very fast with ice skating imagine players making not winters feast only but they skating together hm and maybe gets some sanity or just make some holes in ice with ice drill for fishing to get some nom nom to survive again

22 hours ago, Warlockadamm said:

#Having snow storm that spawn for about 4 to 5 min that covers the map, a bit like a sand storm in the oasis, would be an interesting thing. You could wear the Desert goggles to walk normaly. It would make items like the puffy vest a bit more viable since you wouldnt have a head winter piece.

---> 

Snow shoes would be great! Snow storm reduce visibility and if you want your speed back in the deep snow you put on snowshoes. Only thing is that there is no feet slot for equipment so it could be on the head slot as winter gear.

Craft: a winter hat, 2 ropes, Bearger fur and 2 no-eye-deer antlers

2 hours ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

Winter gets Deerclops and Klaus, so that's two bosses instead of one, and also gets snowbirds, MacTusks, Winter Koalafants, Pengulls, and others, Winter has more content than summer, so summer should be focused on first.

This is totally true and i do also think summer should have more specific mobs, (imagine a cactus like tree guards that can only spawn during summer that you could fight to gather special flowers or needles, they would spawn a bit like lure plants in either of the desert)  !

What i wanted to bring with this thread was more centered around winter game mechanics then mobs wise but your saying is totally accurate :)

4 hours ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

Summer gets the Antlion and the Oasis. 

The Oasis exists chiefly to get goggles, which really only exist for people living in the oasis... Sandstorms are not a fun mechanic, especially since there's so much RNG involved in acquiring goggles. Antlion is certainly an interesting boss, but it doesn't provide very useful loot.

Summer definitely needs more to it to make it worthwhile. As it stands currently, wildfires are just an annoying mechanic that players will probably circumvent anyway with sandstorms/flingos/cave bases, which leads to pretty boring gameplay as it punishes leaving the base. In winter, resources can still be collected outside the base, giving a sort of risk/reward for travelling beyond the fire pit. Resources in summer wilt, and cannot be collected when away from the base. Instead, those planted at your base will continue to grow with flingos. All of this is very boring. Summer absolutely needs some kind of risk/reward event that draws players outside of their bases, onto the world's surface, to collect some awesome loot. And no, desert stones are not awesome loot. We could have unique summer spawns to collect rare or exclusive resources (say, like a clockwork militia, or a hunting party of merms (think boy scouts) that drop special uncraftable gear that provides sandstorm protection, heat insulation, sanity auras, speed buffs etc.)

I do really like the idea of seasons becoming harsher during the second year. This needs to either translate to the caves somehow as well or provide another risk/reward so that players actually have an incentive to live on the surface and experience the new, harsher season.

sort of related but I really want to see mosquito swarms in the summer. In winter year 2 pengulls could become hostile, making the collection of ice less than a boon.

Archived