Slicksters randomly dying

So I had several slicksters in the bottom level of my base. I got them from the printing pod.

However, they always just keep randomly dying, either in larva stage or after growing up. I select them and they look all fine. They just seemingly randomly turn into a chunk of meat.

Is this a bug or something is killing them?

23 minutes ago, Storm Engineer said:

Damn. They should really have some sort of status on them because how am I supposed to get their habitat right without knowing? :/

If you look at the info panel for any plant or critter it will tell you the minimum and maximum temperatures they live in... 

1 hour ago, Storm Engineer said:

Damn. They should really have some sort of status on them because how am I supposed to get their habitat right without knowing?

Agreed. Something that visually lets the player know "I'm cold or hot here and could die" would be awesome so we know to check the info panel.

You want to post the suggestion?

10 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

If you look at the info panel for any plant or critter it will tell you the minimum and maximum temperatures they live in... 

I don't know where are you seeing this because I do not see it anywhere. Plants show it:

image.thumb.png.37760a0a0fe9e3ae2a92738f2d35a0b1.png

Animals don't:

image.png.41afcd17375c043738c8c5a1cb343348.png

What I'm talking about is why not even having a status message about it??? It says Happy, Wild, Hungry, Inhaling, and there are a bunch of others - why does it not say "Too cold"???

But to be honest they should have the same Requirements box as plants do.

1 hour ago, Storm Engineer said:

I don't know where are you seeing this because I do not see it anywhere.

The book icon, next to critter's name on top of the menu.

It's probably not shown in the menu itself because the menu shows current state. And state of a hypothermic slickster is being a piece of meat.

6 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

The book icon, next to critter's name on top of the menu.

Ah, thank you! I don't think I ever clicked that button, I kinda didn't even notice it somehow. Not seeing the forest from the trees, as the saying goes, LOL.

Still, the panel should show requirements and them not being met like it does for plants.

8 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

It's probably not shown in the menu itself because the menu shows current state. And state of a hypothermic slickster is being a piece of meat.

A warning when the critter is 5 degrees away (or whatever) from becoming meat would be good though. I think I accidentally killed all my hatches because I left them unattended next to a wheezewort for too long.

...I was trying to get them to their comfort temperature.

If you click on the critter it will tell you their body temperature. Once their body temperature goes below or above their minimum liveable conditions they die.

11 hours ago, pacovf said:

A warning when the critter is 5 degrees away (or whatever) from becoming meat would be good though. I think I accidentally killed all my hatches because I left them unattended next to a wheezewort for too long.

that would be annoying if you have an industrial sized kill room based on temperature. You would get spammed with warnings constantly.

You shouldn't need a warning if you know what temperature the critters can live in. If the room is too cold they WILL die eventually. I think that's enough warning for you.

But it would be nice if it was easier to access all of this information about what a critter needs to survive and anything else thats important. All the information is spread out over those 4 sections 'Status / Germs / Errands / Properties / The book icon.' It's quite tedious when you want to find certain information about Duplicants and Critters.

The User Interface in this game is tedious in general.

8 hours ago, ChickenMadness said:

that would be annoying if you have an industrial sized kill room based on temperature. You would get spammed with warnings constantly.

We need an icon like the plants have. A plant wilts if the conditions for it to grow are not met and shows an icon over itself when it happens so you can click it and see "growth halted: too cold". Critters need the same (they currently only have an icon for drowning). An icon showing they`re at a risk of dying like "out of comfort zone: too cold".

9 hours ago, ChickenMadness said:

I agree those warnings would be hell in that case.

But it would be cool for new players. The solution seems to be an option to disable specific warning or all of them if a player wants too. I am annoyed by some of the warnings already and for sure I also would be for the new ones to be added.

Although, something towards that direction is necessary to help out new players. The game is a blast of information when you start first time. But soon a player understand some of the stuff, it should be easy to disable whatever warnings that can be ignored.

I wonder if someone with a big colony could ever get rid of 'long commutes' warning. I failed in all attempts lol

Long commute warning is completely worthless.  In my new base,  I haven't even left the starter biome yet and the message has been constant for at least a dozen cycles.  With no sign of ever getting rid of it. 

1 hour ago, Soulwind said:

Long commute warning is completely worthless.  In my new base,  I haven't even left the starter biome yet and the message has been constant for at least a dozen cycles.  With no sign of ever getting rid of it. 

Sorry for the off-topic, but how low do commute times have to be before the warning deactivates? I have a low dupe-count base with 50% commute times, which is very high, but I am wondering how low people have managed to make it, while still keeping their dupes constantly busy.

On 3.4.2019 at 9:11 PM, pacovf said:

It's off-topic, but if you place your wheezewort on a door which is connected to a thermosensor you can "regulate" it and avoid situations like those.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.24effeadb3b8ebb9060cc8525bef4ff3.png

12 hours ago, Junksteel said:

I agree those warnings would be hell in that case.

But it would be cool for new players. The solution seems to be an option to disable specific warning or all of them if a player wants too. I am annoyed by some of the warnings already and for sure I also would be for the new ones to be added.

Although, something towards that direction is necessary to help out new players. The game is a blast of information when you start first time. But soon a player understand some of the stuff, it should be easy to disable whatever warnings that can be ignored.

I wonder if someone with a big colony could ever get rid of 'long commutes' warning. I failed in all attempts lol

ye an option to mute automation noises would be nice too lol. (unless they've done it already. I've not played in a while)

18 hours ago, pacovf said:

Sorry for the off-topic, but how low do commute times have to be before the warning deactivates?

When you hover the notification it shows that travel time is above 40% of dupe time. I assume you need to be below that for it to go away.

On 4/4/2019 at 10:13 AM, Sasza22 said:

We need an icon like the plants have. A plant wilts if the conditions for it to grow are not met and shows an icon over itself when it happens so you can click it and see "growth halted: too cold". Critters need the same (they currently only have an icon for drowning). An icon showing they`re at a risk of dying like "out of comfort zone: too cold".

Agreed. They could be the same speech bubbles the dupes use when they are too cold or hot.

Archived