Little changes - Huge impact

Suggestion : Make refined metals backwards compatible for buildings and tiles made out of metal ore. This does not have to include everything but Airflow, mesh and conveyor rails are a no brainer. I make lots of conveyor rails late game and I started to run out of iron ore. This is still more of a late game problem in my opinion but would be nice to have.

Spoiler
3 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

(To order/group the suggestions a bit more. But I want to go mostly for the little UI things like the compactor and not (in my eyes) bigger changes like the save cycle change. Since I don´t really know the needed effort and I like the idea, I will add it for sure.)

If you try and make two post in a row the forum auto merges them, smart policy. I hear you on keeping the changes easy for the developers to implement, so nothing that could change game balance or could possibly require a code rewrite. Currently I don't think the end of cycle freeze is caused by end of cycle computation, it's just another game tick and a save file being written but am open to being wrong on that one.

11 minutes ago, JohnFrancis said:

I make lots of conveyor rails late game and I started to run out of iron ore.

If we assume an average map has at least one metal volcano and you harvest the iron space offers you from time to time, you will never need to use the metal refinery for something other than steel. (except maybe intial 1-2t when you start to advance).

=> The only real late game use of metal ores for me is to build conveyor rails ^^

(If I don´t need ore for conveyor rails anymore, I don´t need ore anymore xD)

Suggestion : Make it possible with the bottom right commands (Dig, Deconstruct etc) to permanently set their priority. Currently if you set dig to 7, the moment you exit the dig command and go back it defaults to level 5 priority again. Currently the build commands keep their priority already. This just cuts out one mouse click every time you use that command set.

Spoiler
9 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

(If I don´t need ore for conveyor rails anymore, I don´t need ore anymore xD)

Depends how quick you tame a volcano or get rockets running. If it takes till cycle 500+ (that's me) to do either I'm going to refine a lot of ore, about half of it.

Just now, JohnFrancis said:

Depends how quick you tame a volcano or get rockets running. If it takes till cycle 500+ (that's me) to do either I'm going to refine a lot of ore, about half of it.

Ok I try to never use the rock crusher for metals, so my start will be a bit harder but that´s more an old habbit that started when metal ore was finite.  But I like to just build a ladder to the surface <100cycles just to have 1-5 tiles to collect filtration medium/iron.

(I like to preserve my biomes and I still just dig my volcanos open when I find one, takes >100cycles before the will do real harm it isn´t right next to your base.)

=> But we might agree that totally changing how ores are used could need some additional balancing.

(Would render some space missions/destinations useless ...)

Spoiler

@JohnFrancis I know the merge rules for posts, so I try to respond even if I provide less and less input xD

In the new skills section, give us an "undo" option for just assigned skills.  It stinks when a misclick assigns the skill, and then you have to lobotomize the dupe to undo it.  I DON'T want a "save changes" dialogue, but would love to be able to right click on just assigned things to undo them.  Fast and efficient is great, but no repentance for misclicks is not. 

Pls pls add allow priority setting for emptying canister filler.

this one is less trivia, but pls let all the buildings that require manual water delivery have versions that take pipe input.

Let the critter sensor separate eggs and critters. And, at the very least, let it choose "above" or "below" options, the way other sensors currently work.

Let blocks be replace-built on top of background tiles (drywall, tempshift plate) and vice versa.

Let background tiles be placed with a  square selection (the way, e.g., deconstruct commands work), instead of one by one.

Make abbysalite crushable again into sand...I have 540 tones and few way to dispose 

Let us deconstruct lockers, tables,computers, neural vaccilator (only 1 is needed for recharge), flower pots, metallic leaders, and lamps, same as we can deconstruct AETN. Ideal is to deconstruct and be able to reconstruct in other part of the map.

4 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:
On 1.4.2019 at 1:04 AM, JohnFrancis said:

Suggestion : Make it possible with the bottom right commands (Dig, Deconstruct etc) to permanently set their priority. Currently if you set dig to 7, the moment you exit the dig command and go back it defaults to level 5 priority again. Currently the build commands keep their priority already. This just cuts out one mouse click every time you use that command set.

I think there are going to players that come down on either side of this one. A compromise that could satisfy all is to make this behavior configurable in the game options.

In a couple days I will revisit all entries and try to make two groups for a poll:

1. Everything I hope nobody will have a good reason to hate this changes.

(UI consistency, QoL tools like mass drywall build or mass disable repair/desinfect ...)

2. Everything else I I think would be a good addition. This includes changes of game mechanics.

=> Might be subjective like the saved priority on dig coammands, so I will make sperate votes for these ideas,

14 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:

I think there are going to players that come down on either side of this one. A compromise that could satisfy all is to make this behavior configurable in the game options.

Personally I build my priorities system around leaving them at level 5 so I'm happy with where they are. But I believed from lets plays that a lot of players use higher priorities for the commands so I though I would suggest it as an option. It only got 4 likes so it's not a big seller it would appear. A settings option might be better.

22 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:

As long as it's consistent. I hate that buildings remember priorities but commands don't. I don't care which way it does, just be consistent. 

12 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

As long as it's consistent.

Bingo. The current system is inconsistent.  You have to remember which things are saved, and which are not. That's the problem. I never remember, and have to guess each time.

• I like to put sweep commands at 3, lower than 5 (default) and lower than 4 (do otherwise), but higher than never do unless nothing else (1) and (2) default idle command. However, I have to type a 3 every time I enter the sweep menu.  But when I build something once with an 8 (get it done super fast), everything afterwards stays that way.

It's inconsistent. I've gotten used to it, but it was a turn off, and probably more so to a newer player. You get over the annoyance with time, but it would be nice if there were no annoyance.

By the way @Lilalaunekuh, this is a great thread.  I hope more people start visiting and adding their thoughts. A thread like this hopefully can help the devs sort through the thousands of things to focus on.  Keep up the great work.

5 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Bingo. The current system is inconsistent.  You have to remember which things are saved, and which are not. That's the problem. I never remember, and have to guess each time.

I feel you. I never remember either but I don't bother guessing. I just completely ignore the feature and change build/dig priorities manually after placing them.

My idea is to start the next post with the following concept:

1. "List of little changes without an impact on a game mechanic"

a) You agree with the list

b) If you dislike a specific change, please post below.

2. For every controverse / inconsistent point:

a) I like A (always (re)set new commands to 5)

b) I like B (save priority for all tasks)

c) I don´t care, but at least change it to make it consistent.

d) I don´t like the change. / Keep the current state of the game.

OMG i really hate to setup door permissions with the new job system..
Area for trained exosuit engineers only / with exosuits. Have to look manually/write down what job a dupe has.
I don't like to give dupes names like: cookidiggi2exoengifarmscientist..

I ran out of patience for digging through the comments here, but... If it wasn't mentioned, I'd love to see dupes quit piling up onto the same job. Watching 5 dupes all try to dig the same spot or build the same thing, and hijacking each other over and over again, to the point where it might as well just be one dupe, for all the work that gets done? Bah.

2 hours ago, Oozinator said:

OMG i really hate to setup door permissions with the new job system..
Area for trained exosuit engineers only / with exosuits. Have to look manually/write down what job a dupe has.

How is that different from the old system? I don't recall a way to give permissions based on job. But even if there was, you still had to look up who had the exosuit skill for door permissions when they graduated out of exosuit engineer.

Nice thread! Here are my two cents:

• An option to dismiss the displayed messages on the sides perhaps? Or perhaps group them,like urgent or recurring. 
  • Of course I'd love to be able to deconstruct POI, and even build it myself (decor is never enough!). 
  • An option to deconstruct suits. 
  • Bigger storage. 
  • An option to name storage bins. 

• Developer

Nice, thanks everyone for posting all your thoughts here, and weighing in. We definitely like to get a bunch of these kinds of things knocked off when we're wrapping up testing, and this helps us spend more time implementing and less time hunting through the forum. :)

I'm not going to comment on each item, but many of the things discussed here line up with our own thoughts as well.

Archived