[Game Update] - 320890

• Developer
  • Armor will no longer take damage when evading an attack during Soul Hop.
  • Sand Spikes, Relics, Balloons, Meat Bulbs, and Nightmares will no longer spawn Souls.
  • Sand Spikes, Relics, and Balloons will no longer trigger Abigail or Wigrid’s Battleborn.
  • Minor fixes in Wortox’s speech strings.
  • Minor fixes for Chinese translations.

View full update

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

On 30-3-2019 at 6:34 AM, Canis said:

I still feel like Wortox is stupidly OP. Maybe small animals can drop "Small Souls" which give less hunger/hp?

I agree with this. In my opinion Wortox should probably have his Souls tied to/replace his hunger bar. This way you don't have to implement different "soul" items for each and every mob and have it clutter up your inventory; you can just scale the amount of Soul gained per mob. You'd right-click your hunger bar to drop a soul. This'd also add a dynamic of risk/reward, considering Souls and hunger would then be one resource while still maintaining the spiky-powerful utility everyone loves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/31/2019 at 7:59 AM, Lillyth said:

I agree with this. In my opinion Wortox should probably have his Souls tied to/replace his hunger bar. This way you don't have to implement different "soul" items for each and every mob and have it clutter up your inventory; you can just scale the amount of Soul gained per mob. You'd right-click your hunger bar to drop a soul. This'd also add a dynamic of risk/reward, considering Souls and hunger would then be one resource while still maintaining the spiky-powerful utility everyone loves.

This. So much this.

On 3/31/2019 at 11:59 AM, Lillyth said:

The problem I see about this is that right now eating souls is an optional feature, which comes with the penalty of sanity. If all souls go automatically to his hunger or a bar that directly influences hunger, you find several gameplay issues:

• He never needs to eat since most things you kill will replenish the hunger, which is not the way its supposed to be intended
  • If he loses sanity for eating souls and all souls acquired are automatically eaten, he will be insane and beyond any chance to ever get sane. And if you remove the sanity penalty to fix this, he becomes just much more OP without ever needing to eat and with no penalty about it whatsoever
  • If the bar is like the Woodie's log meter, then its not gonna be tied to your hunger, its just another resource. And it probably complicates the HUD when trying to heal people or eat from it.

I think its a lot harder to implement, if you think it through. What the devs did was by far the simpler version to handle all this resources, in a way that also needs no complicated explanations, you can learn how to use his perks intuitively in a few minutes. I don't think small mobs dropping souls are a problem of any kind, the only thing that makes everyone complain about wortox because he "feels" OP is mostly because of his ability to self heal so fast.

Let's do a quick mental exercise, use your imagination: see yourself playing a Wortox exactly the same, but without receiving any health when he drops souls. Yes you teleport, yes you can eat souls while getting insane, and yes you heal others, but you do not take any healing. You start thinking how will you heal right? food is worse, you rarely craft healing items, sleeping will be more costly for him.. he is always fighting shadows so he is always insane... "crap... I have to make a ton of healing salves or healing poultice now" doesnt sound so OP anymore, doesn't he?.
By this example I don't mean to completely remove the self healing, because it would make him a pain and boring to keep alive. But if you really really really want to make him feel less powerful just make him receive less healing from his own healing, and that would be enough. 

Why nerfing though? Wickerbottom is a fun character, she was never nerfed, and she is still is more powerful than Wortox. Nerfing is not the answer to make the game more fun. 

I keep reading endless opinions on nerfing him and I always feel they don't entirely understand the character or in some cases, the game. To me it feels like touching any other atribute besides his self heal capacity, would be like having a piece of wood stuck in the palm of your hand, bleeding, and you try to fix it by eating healthier, doing yoga every day and sleeping more each night... it ain't gonna solve anything, its gonna keep bleeding and it will only get worse. Just pull out the damn piece of wood and go see a doctor to stitch your hand. These fancy solutions are the same thing. The character is fine, if anything it only requires fine tuning which I hope it comes at a much later time or never. 

Edited by ShadowDuelist
  • Thanks 2