I present you, the ultimate don't starve singleplayer tierlist!

Seero

3 hours ago, Atsumame said:

To those people saying Bias because he main WX. This tier list was a coop project alongside with me. A Wes main.

My own problem from this is that by stating either in explicit or implicit forms what characters you main actually gives a certain feel to it of again "bias" on the tier list. Overall the tier list provided in general is too broad and there is not enough specificity and the intentions aren't well cleared at the start of the discussion. If you want to provide the best for the discussion I would dearly recommend repurposing and going to a specific topic with short descriptions not blatantly posting a character list  without the said recommendations.

1 minute ago, Aeschwutz said:

My own problem from this is that by stating either in explicit or implicit forms what characters you main actually gives a certain feel to it of again "bias" on the tier list. Overall the tier list provided in general is too broad and there is not enough specificity and the intentions aren't well cleared at the start of the discussion. If you want to provide the best for the discussion I would dearly recommend repurposing and going to a specific topic with short descriptions not blatantly posting a character list  without the said recommendations.

(By the way, thank you very much for actually making an actual well thought out arguments unlike some people did their snarky remarks. I appreciate it.)

You are perfectly right on this one, which is why I was against OP posting the tier list right away after being done. 

It seems to me the entire F list (other than Wes) are characters you haven't explored well. As someone else explained, Warly also gets Sanity and Health boosts from all crock pot recipes, so your explanation of his bigger hunger drain being obsolete is nonsense. You mentioned Jerky and Honey binging; those are not really necessary for Warly. Other than that perk, he is a neutral character, which should obviously not be an F tier pick. 

As for Walani, again, a neutral player outside of SW. Not bad or hard to play at all. With her surfboard + raw Purple Groupers (which has the perk of making waves surfable from any direction for 30 seconds), she is potentially the fastest on water (the surfboard gets the biggest speed boost from waves by a long shot, specially big waves). Plus the sanity. Her early game in SW is way, way better than any other character. 

Your reasoning for Wigfird seems very fitted to your pernosal playing style. As the Wigfrid player pointed out (or really any other avid Wigfrid player would), she's a very comfortable player to play with, and deals with mobs with no stress. I have had no problem with only eating meat after the early game, other than the coffee situation. She is not a good character for people who focus more on base building and decorating, sure. If that's your playstyle doesn't mean she is F, lol. Lush season gives her very, very annoying 12 days to deal with, to be sure.

I also would like to know why you guys put Willow 2 tiers above these characters. Her perk requires investing a lot of time staring at your firepit. Also why Wilbur is up there.

Wendy was C before Hamlet, now is B in my opinion. All the Hamlet mobs are a non-issue with Abigail, except for guard pigs (but you can cheese them by constantly offering them something that triggers their refusal animation while Abigail attacks them). 

Wickerbottom should be moved to S tier,

no downside 

more sanity 

Books:

tentacle to fight bosses

and birds to farm krampus sack

————————

wigfrid should be moved to A tier

Can farm sanity-health by fighting low health mobs

for hunger: 3 ice+meatball and you will never be hungry

I would beg to differ, alongside the Wigfrid Mains (though i main Wicker XD), that Wigfrid's position in the tiers is rather unjust die to her own bonuses.

True, her carnivorous lifestyle cripples her, but so long as you manage to find a good meat source, a birdcage, set up drying racks and farm vegs you should be set. Not being able to consume Coffee and Hayfever cures is a big bummer, though, but not enough to put her in F tier. Her combat perks are never to be overlooked. (She's even the easiest character to finish Adventure Mode on due to those perks, yo!)

good luck and have fun updating this with the advent of two new characters and balancing this out to all the DLCs XD

4 hours ago, maxiaogua said:

Why Wilba is put on the same tier as Wicker and Wolfgang? 

Her Werepig form is way more controllable (necklace, and can be activated a bit easier at will with just monster meat), has map view + an usable inventory, almost the same advantages as werebeaver (like night vision, temperature immunity ect.), has 50% more speed (which is immense all things considered), tentacle spike damage, is basically a multi tool just like beaver and can interact with a bit more things than beaver.

If you can fuel it with food (which is easy to get anyway) this form is a total speed powerhouse. Not to mention that Werewilba can eat special foods such as coffee.

13 minutes ago, Rosten said:

I don't see the point of a tier list in Don't Starve. Picking characters because they're better or worse just seems completely pointless in a roguelike. Besides, it's not like survival is particularly difficult to begin with.

It was mainly made because it was a fun thing for us to do.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:24 PM, Namelessgamer said:

-snip-

Wicker does have downsides, but they become negligible over time:

- Stale and Spoilt food give less value when eaten. This makes the spoilage of stockpiled foods a major issue until you get Bundling Wrap. 

- Wicker is also insomniac, but she can also amass items which equate to the Health and Sanity benefits of sleeping in the late game.

On 2/14/2019 at 4:12 PM, Averagewx78main said:

Disclaimer: this isn't to force a playstyle upon you, its to provide information and allows you to use that information in ways you choose to.

Edit: I will update this list to include the upcoming characters!

The Don't Starve Tier List.png

I think the main points of a tier list should be rank with letters like ABCD on certain topics then convert to score.

General Survival: (Thats for from early and mid game and just the general flow of things you need to do to stay alive)
Fighting: (Always at the core of the game, better fighter better ranking, lots of characters are basic on this and thats where some shine)
Late Game: How strong are they lategame when everything is available and you want to use optimal strats.
Bonus (from perks or utility, this is where walking speed, books etc take effect)

You could say that the "basic ranking" would be a C rank. B for better,A is used for OP and D is used as negative.
The letters dont mean anything toward the rank. ABCD could as well be -2 0 +2 +5.

So lets do a character for example:

WX:
General Survival : A because he can abuse many things in hamlet SW and ROG and has the most health/sanity etc
Fighting: B Hes not much better than average but since he has the most health by miles
Late game: A, hes arguably the best late game character. Best stats overall, Coffee + Thunder is op
Bonus: A: Best walking speed with coffee + Thunder. Best heal with infinite gears in 2 out of 3 worlds and best overall stats. His negatives are so small that you can ignore them.

WX is the only character that will get that many A rank imo.

As for the discussion about the tier list heres my take:
Most of it is great. I disagree with Wigfrid (Should be A but still below Wolfgang) because the only negative she has really lategame is to not being able to drink coffee and the hush season in hamlet. Other than that, she has strictly positives because of her fighting perks. Her eating perks dont matter at all when there are good solutions that are very strong replacement for as much time. The only slight other negative is once again lategame where she cant stockpile honey and just eat that, but at that point, you can have 20 meaty stew stacked in bundle wrap and survive forever on that.

I think Woodleg should drop a rank, because lategame his perk isnt so good. Yes wood is a massive thing lategame and having boards easy is nice but other than having easier wood than anyone... He doesn't provide anything (compared to others in his rank).

I might put woodie lower purely based on how bad his transformation is and how bad it can mess with you. Lategame its also bad. It stop you from doing things you really want to do with almost no positives.

I would also put wormwood lower because hes probably the 2nd worst character in the game. Im a Wes main and I have more trouble with Wormwood than anyone and his stats are pretty bad too. Yes you can do some fancy things but they are mostly to counter all his negatives.

Just to give additional details on my "criteria" for the categories
General survival: If you have a harder time surviving, you lose points. If you have an easier time surviving because of perks (like wickerbottom or Maxwel for exemple).
Fighting: If you can't use the best weapons / If you receive any bonus or negatives
Late game: If you cannot use Coffee, Honey and other late game tools, you lose points. If you have perks that are useful lategame to speed up some task, you gain points.

Bonus: That category can also be used for negatives. Any increase or decrease to speed, any bonus stuff that you can do that is Relevant should give you points.

Also on a final note: I think the tier should be like this based on my knowledge.
SS (WX)
S (Wicker)
A Top few characters
B Good but flawed characters in other way
C Wilson Ranking
D Worse

I think we can all agree that WX is by far the best character and its not even close. Wickers placement could be debatable but I also think that shes at least a tier on her own over all the next characters (Wolfgang etc...) I don't like having many tiers but when there is a clear difference in terms of raw potential... Like WX is not only the fastest characters, hes got specific abuses that are only available to him and hes both the fastest, easiest to maintain and also highest stats by miles.
This game main points are really: Speed, Stats and Raw power and hes only lacking the last one (where hes average) but still has a few buff in it anyway (easier regen and speed to kite)

29 minutes ago, Yokoblue said:

I would also put wormwood lower because hes probably the 2nd worst character in the game. Im a Wes main and I have more trouble with Wormwood than anyone and his stats are pretty bad too. Yes you can do some fancy things but they are mostly to counter all his negatives.

I disagree,  although he's difficult because of unability to heal with food you can use other methods to heal yourself such as manure. He doesn't have to make farms so you can use every single bit of poop to heal yourself

He's the easiest character to menage sanity, getting nightmare fuel and living logs therefore he can reach late game in no time.

His traps are aoe so they kill many enemies in no time (although they won't work on vampire bats but you can surround yourself with flytraps to deal with those)  

He can use flytraps to defend himself or to farm dung beetles, glowflies,weevoles etc. without any risk and pig guards with low risk 

He has a movement speed buff when he's blooming (bigger hunger drain isn't a problem since has huge amount of food from seeds) 

Wormwood can eat monster stuff, red mushrooms etc.  without health loss 

He's biggest downside is his tendency to catch on fire so he might struggle with his 1st dragonfly or ancient heralds but getting a scalemale removes this flaw almost completely. 

Personally I would swap him with Willow because she doesn't have much to offer. 

19 hours ago, Hx380 said:

I disagree,  although he's difficult because of unability to heal with food you can use other methods to heal yourself such as manure. He doesn't have to make farms so you can use every single bit of poop to heal yourself

He's the easiest character to menage sanity, getting nightmare fuel and living logs therefore he can reach late game in no time.

His traps are aoe so they kill many enemies in no time (although they won't work on vampire bats but you can surround yourself with flytraps to deal with those)  

He can use flytraps to defend himself or to farm dung beetles, glowflies,weevoles etc. without any risk and pig guards with low risk 

He has a movement speed buff when he's blooming (bigger hunger drain isn't a problem since has huge amount of food from seeds) 

Wormwood can eat monster stuff, red mushrooms etc.  without health loss 

He's biggest downside is his tendency to catch on fire so he might struggle with his 1st dragonfly or ancient heralds but getting a scalemale removes this flaw almost completely. 

Personally I would swap him with Willow because she doesn't have much to offer. 

Did you play him ? Even while harvesting all the poop pigs drop and the dung pile, healing for 2 is just not enough. Its also time consuming for very little result. The fact that you need to do an extra thing compared to other characters is already a negative. With others, you can literally regen your full health during the first 20 days with only the food thats on the ground. Thats without counting for all the recipes that heal for 5-10.

Sanity wise: Once again hard disagree. You can use some abuse like replanting stuff but otherwise, sanity wise he once again need more attention. I'm not saying its hard to manage it, im saying its harder than most characters because most characters just don't have the negatives he has. You can easily have enough sanity for early-mid game with flowers and recipe unlocking. With him, just cutting enough wood for 4 crockpot or cutting wood for 20 logs will drive you insane.

Flytraps to defend is a neat thing, but no enemy is really a problem beside bats in hamlet, and thats the only thing the flytrap need a lot of setup and his AOE trap doesnt hit. They also create more small flytrap which can get annoying at times. If they stayed mature and didnt produce more, it would be amazing. I guess you could surround your flytrap with a bunch of aoe trap to control them... but once again.. thats a lot of preparaiton. Its good lategame but it will take time.

His tendency to catch on fire seem that you don't get the whole idea:
- He cannot cook anything on a normal fire. He will be set on fire right as you finish cooking it.
- He will lose 24hp for 1 lightning bolt from the thunderbirds. Thats 14 more damage than normal characters.
     - Thunderbird are a pain for him as a result. With Wes I can gather every thunderbird nest, with him i cant get even half.
- Pig guard set him on fire with the torch for a long time.
- He get sets on fire by things that wouldn't matter at all with any other character. Get hit by random lightning, you also lose a lot of health.

Thats just to name a few from experience. He also can't use burning tree as a warm up or light source because just setting a tree on fire will make you go on fire before you have time to move away...

8 minutes ago, Yokoblue said:

Did you play him ? Even while harvesting all the poop pigs drop and the dung pile, healing for 2 is just not enough. Its also time consuming for very little result. The fact that you need to do an extra thing compared to other characters is already a negative. With others, you can literally regen your full health during the first 20 days with only the food thats on the ground. Thats without counting for all the recipes that heal for 5-10.

Sanity wise: Once again hard disagree. You can use some abuse like replanting stuff but otherwise, sanity wise he once again need more attention. I'm not saying its hard to manage it, im saying its harder than most characters because most characters just don't have the negatives he has. You can easily have enough sanity for early-mid game with flowers and recipe unlocking. With him, just cutting enough wood for 4 crockpot or cutting wood for 20 logs will drive you insane.

Flytraps to defend is a neat thing, but no enemy is really a problem beside bats in hamlet, and thats the only thing the flytrap need a lot of setup and his AOE trap doesnt hit. They also create more small flytrap which can get annoying at times. If they stayed mature and didnt produce more, it would be amazing. I guess you could surround your flytrap with a bunch of aoe trap to control them... but once again.. thats a lot of preparaiton. Its good lategame but it will take time.

His tendency to catch on fire seem that you don't get the whole idea:
- He cannot cook anything on a normal fire. He will be set on fire right as you finish cooking it.
- He will lose 24hp for 1 lightning bolt from the thunderbirds. Thats 14 more damage than normal characters.
     - Thunderbird are a pain for him as a result. With Wes I can gather every thunderbird nest, with him i cant get even half.
- Pig guard set him on fire with the torch for a long time.
- He get sets on fire by things that wouldn't matter at all with any other character. Get hit by random lightning, you also lose a lot of health.

Thats just to name a few from experience. He also can't use burning tree as a warm up or light source because just setting a tree on fire will make you go on fire before you have time to move away...

In already reaching 200 days with him... 

Well if you need HP in hamlet you can rush to the 2nd pig city once you get royal scepter and buy all the healing you need in the mud spa or even build your own mud spa or even use mosquitos. In every other dlc you can use spider glands. 

You mention having to do extra things.  Well all the other characters have to deal with hay fever, getting neetles or seed pots 

Sanity wise just plant the trees after your done chopping all of them, every other character will need to waste more resources or time on regaining it. 

He doesn't always get set on fire when cooking, it happends randomly and you don't really have to cook stuff with him. 

Thunderbirds are a little more problematic with him but since they have been somewhat fixed from their buggy state you can use pogs to scare them  and you probably won't get hit. Or just build lighting rod near them. 

As for pig guards they are easy to dodge so thats not a huge deal. 

Personally i never had a problem with getting on fire after burning a tree but i guess it might happend

Wormwood is a little bit more difficult to play,  but hes better than characters like Walani or Wilson that offer practically nothing late game wise

Wormwood is one of the more insteresting characters Klei has ever released.

I personally don't care if he's op or not. A character for me has to be interesting. Heck, I've played Webber in Hamlet more than any other character.

His perks (although some aren't as strong) allow him to be played in every dlc. You don't have to limit your opinion to Hamlet only.

Wolfgnag may be an op character but he's very boring late game.

Characters that force players to actually think and come up with a gameplay idea are characters well done. Becasue waht fun is it to create the same base with the same strategy over and over and over again but just with different characters?

Admittedly I haven't played wormwood myself yet, (I just got Hamlet 2 days ago), but looking at him on paper, I would say that he probably deserves B tier, though he's probably on the high-end of C tier.

As it stands, I think that the only thing wormwood "needs" is some more "unique" items in his green thumb tab.

Currently, His items consist of 

-free living wood

-a better tooth trap

-re-skinned anti-venom

-the bramble husk is good

-and re-skinned honey poltice. 

Now I'm not saying that it should be the same level as Wickerbottom's books, but there is definitely some more things that they could do, such as 

-Let him craft sprouts for plants that can't otherwise be transplanted, Most notably reeds and light bulbs. (these could also require a bit more effort to keep fertilized to balance it)

-the ability to manually spawn/grow Snaptooths could be interesting

-A bed variant that requires him to fertilize it, but allows him to bloom during any season by sleeping during the day

-some more "magical" plants. He's a living tree, so I imagine he would be able to do something like that

-what this could include without feeling out of place, I have no clue. Perhaps they could do things such as Weakening shadow monsters, acting as bait for all creatures, or being able to blow things in certain directions.

I would agree with these choices except Maxwell and Wormwood. Swap the two.

Maxwell's shadows in singleplayer are just... useless. The sanity regeneration is unnecessary. His health is low. Not an overall useful character to use. (But in multiplayer, that's a different story.)

Now. Wormwood. He can produce MASSIVE farms if a birdcage and sprinkler are given. He can use snaptooths to his advantage by clumping them together and use them as his form of defenses; the same goes for lureplants. He can make bramble husk that can wipe out a horde of rabid beetles. He can make living logs. 

Wormwood's far more useful than Maxwell in singleplayer.

So you probably already took this into account, But if you haven't, then You may have to bump up WX to S+ tier. Because by the pope, he is a GOD on Hamlet.

Thunderbirds mean that you can get hours worth of Overcharge even faster than you could with a Wicker.

Stalking sticks are easy to get, which means that WX can go nearly max speed by day 2-3

Because Overcharge is so easy to get, he can explore ruins without needing a light, which means he can use a stalking stick, piggyback, and football helmet all at once while exploring the pig ruins

and finally, While gears are a bit of an RNG grind, Getting the oincs is still MUCH easier than going to the vanilla 

So yeah, WX is a god on Hamlet, definitely worth considering. 

If your going to make a tier list, you should do one for every dlc (Rog, Sw, Ham) as some characters 'stronger' than others in different dlc ex. Wilson in Rog is better, but Walani in Sw is better; Lastly I'm not a Wigfrid main but I don't think she's as bad as Warly or Wes (objectively), Wigfrid should be around -A or +B tier.

On 2019-02-14 at 5:12 PM, Averagewx78main said:

Disclaimer: this isn't to force a playstyle upon you, its to provide information and allows you to use that information in ways you choose to.

I like that you say this but provide absolutely no information on why you think each character deserves their respective rank. How does knowing that Wigfrid is F tier help players? Why is she F tier? You can’t just slap an abitrary ranking onto a character and call that informative, LOL.

2 hours ago, Ressayez said:

I like that you say this but provide absolutely no information on why you think each character deserves their respective rank. How does knowing that Wigfrid is F tier help players? Why is she F tier? You can’t just slap an abitrary ranking onto a character and call that informative, LOL.

5c7834ab1f148_wigfrodabuse.jpg.1ff9c4de64bbc23d07e36f9ef62227ba.jpg

8 hours ago, Ressayez said:

6 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

5c7834ab1f148_wigfrodabuse.jpg.1ff9c4de64bbc23d07e36f9ef62227ba.jpg

The best part is that the reasoning was explained in this thread. But instead of actually reading the thread you opted for snarky remarks and maymays. Congrats.

1 hour ago, Atsumame said:

The best part is that the reasoning was explained in this thread. But instead of actually reading the thread you opted for snarky remarks and maymays. Congrats.

I shouldn't have to read through four pages of petty arguments following the same formula of "WHA-- WHY WIGFRID F?" "REASONS" "I DISAGREE BECAUSE REASONS" to get to the reasoning behind the ranks on a tier list, it should be included in the first post, not "upon request."

Archived