Steam In Space

2 ways I know

First is with aquatuners, takes time to prime and can overheat quickly if you are not careful

Second is with tepidizers, this requires using an exploit by dripping 1kg/s water directly on it to overcome the 80C limit but its more effective than the aquatuner

4 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

2 ways I know

First is with aquatuners, takes time to prime and can overheat quickly if you are not careful

Second is with tepidizers, this requires using an exploit by dripping 1kg/s water directly on it to overcome the 80C limit but its more effective than the aquatuner

Ok the Tepidizer sounds easier.. So what should I do, liquid valve to limit it to 1kg/s and drip it on top of the tepidizer?? Or maybe you have a link to a tutorial that explains it?

5 minutes ago, Oni Noob said:

Ok the Tepidizer sounds easier.. So what should liquid valve to limit it to 1kg/s?

yes

I'll be honest I haven't tested it in a long time, this was how I purified PW back when sand was limited

here's some old pictures, be nice to see if my old designs can be re used for steam rockets

20180308110812_1.thumb.jpg.1ef38fcba2863556ce9c00334c12fbd2.jpg20180322012522_1.thumb.jpg.54b017e067e501aa60dbf163b9c42c5b.jpg20180323115621_2.thumb.jpg.848ef0a3f5edcbc219e1d98528b82e96.jpg

You can also toggle the tepidizer on and off using automation. During the first phase of the tepidizers activation, the overheat temperature is not checked. So you are able to heat it above 80°C that way. No dripping required, just some automation latches.

Just now, blash365 said:

You can also toggle the tepidizer on and off using automation. During the first phase of the tepidizers activation, the overheat temperature is not checked. So you are able to heat it above 80°C that way. No dripping required, just some automation latches.

I tried that trick, but somehow there would be a scenario where it stopped heating up

1 minute ago, blash365 said:

I have done that before but it takes a loooong time to prime it up to 100C and it doesn't take much water to cool it back down so its not reliable for continues flow steam production 

2 minutes ago, Oni Noob said:

I tried that trick, but somehow there would be a scenario where it stopped heating up

This is the automation i used. The tempidizer is already deconstructed, but i think it is easy to guess where it was when the structure was still in use.;)

AC2E0986E2F51181171D92D239175E740E4C5034

Even easier:

Build a room, fill bottom tile with (polluted) water, and built storage compactor set to sweep only Regolith. Make sure to drywall the room and cover the entrance with Visco-gel or oil-lock (don't use water!)

Then manually sweep hot Regolith.

You'll have 100Kg/tile of 150C in no time.

Did this in survival. No need for complicated setup. No power. No automation. Just dupe time.

My setup is pretty same all the time.

I build 2 insulated rooms. Each room have vent and steel pump. One room contains petroleum for circulation and one contains water/PW for cooling petroleum.

Bunker tiles on top so regolith can form on top, run thermal pipes with petroleum in it. It will cool down regolith and create tons of steam, this is insane cheap infinite source of heat. If it's too cool then increase bunker tile area to be wider or just bring dupe up dig it up and let new layer fall. Simple.

8 hours ago, gbudiman said:

Even easier:

Build a room, fill bottom tile with (polluted) water, and built storage compactor set to sweep only Regolith. Make sure to drywall the room and cover the entrance with Visco-gel or oil-lock (don't use water!)

Did this in survival. No need for complicated setup. No power. No automation. Just dupe time.

I havent tried this one yet but since steam is just for early part of space exploration ill try it out

2 hours ago, Oni Noob said:

I havent tried this one yet but since steam is just for early part of space exploration ill try it out

10 hours ago, gbudiman said:

Even easier:

Thanks for the tip bro and your correct this method is way easier to setupimage.thumb.png.f60634ea92f5e04e00f2a6880c6059dd.png

I use a setup of 4 tepedizers, tick-activated by automation, inside a sealed insulated room. (there is no dupe operation needed at all)

Due to the fact, the resulting steam is "only" 100°C hot, i heat up the room itselt to 105°C to prevent pipe breaking on the way to the rocket. 

Building this directly under the rocket itself, it results in more steam the rocket could ever consume. So just the first startup is a hard one. Beyond that its a self sustaining system.

I move copious amounts of the absurd quantities of regolith lying around and shovel it down a hole, at the bottom of the hole is a heatsink, which captures the heat from the regolith and also captures it from the rocket.

The heatsink boils water that gets put into my steam rocket.  I also had a magma volcano right next to the rocket pit, but found that it wasn't reliable enough at producing enough steam for 2 rockets and steam generators.

My current setup seems the easiest for me.  I just run some iron refining through a petro loop I build into a system.  Steam atmo pumps.

5c26cce042a02_SteamFuelforSpace.JPG.c224e64bc2750ecaebaf923cb8768223.JPG

Set the temp sensor to only run when the temp is below boiling + 20 degrees or so.  I also use some diamond tiles to pre-heat the pipes.

Don't mind the holes in the insulated tiles.  I had some excess gas stuck in there so I bled it out to the local vacuum.

For me personally, the easiest way is to use the Metal Refinery.

20181229115238_1.thumb.jpg.4a32230be8d0d0a978c6e8418ba83c73.jpg

U get so much heat because of making steal or the other metals, there is no need to use the Tepidizer. Neotuck overreacted it in his build in my opinion and waste energy. Why a big build, if it isn't needed ? U need metals in the game, so why wasting your energy to use the tepidizer ? U have so much heat sources in the game, there is no need to heating it "manually" with not needed stuff :p Heating stuff is the simplest thing in the game.

I use the the Tepidizer only for specific scenarios to make LH20 for example to warm up by 1-2 degrees to reach the efficiency point (adjustment ).

On 27/12/2018 at 10:58 PM, Oni Noob said:

Hi Guys,

I am having a hard time to create steam in space for my steam rocket. There is no metal volcano or volcano near by I can use. Can you let me know if there is an efficient way to create easy steam without using Geysers? 

TIA

I build my steam room below the rocket, using two bunker doors as platform for the rocket. Drop Regolith into the room. (Regolith is 200C from meteors) add a bit of water and you have 100C steam. (The rocket launch actually heat the steam room to 1000C I think, but that might be 7 tiles down, seems like the exhaust ignores walls and just heat an area several tiles below the rocket)

This means the pipes will break when the steam is not moving (Drops in temp and becomes water), so I either vent the steam into space when there is no rocket or whatever.

We have access to unlimited amount of 200C+ Reglith might as well use it for something. You will have enough research to get better engines fairly soon, so you might not have to supply hot reg more than once to the room.

I use a hydro sensor set to allow more water to be dripped into the room if the sensor detects less than 2 Kg. Splashing large amounts of water into the room fast will just make it cool the regolith instead of the reg heating the water.

Archived