How Pig King "set piece" should really looks like

I was doing Adventure mode and saw this set piece in "Two World" chapter. I am surprised about how no one had brought this up.

This set piece.... actually suits the Pig King with the Guardian Pig's monologue: "PROTECT KING!". 

Should the Guardian Pigs be present around pig king in "real world" like this? It would raise the value of Pig King since trading would be more challenging.

20170425215412_1.jpg

9 minutes ago, brbrmensch said:

i'd base at pk every time then for free light

Problem with that is the klaus sack sometimes spawns in deciduous forests near pigking so you might lose some structures if you tried fighting him...or you could just wait till next winter to fight him in a different location.

1 minute ago, GiddyGuy said:

or you could just wait till next winter to fight him in a different location.

he sometimes respawns at the same place, even during one winter

but no way i'd prefer losing that opportunity instead of rebuilding some stuff

i still agree, it may cause some troubles, free light is too cool though

I don't think I've ever seen this set piece, but I have often wonder why the guardian pigs, who seem fanatically devoted to their king, are not guarding him rather than a plot of grass or berry plants. I figured they were some kind of colonial outpost, like the British Raj, and that being stationed far from king and home makes them even more patriotic about the Pig Empire. This game *was* designed by Canadians, after all.

You can still trade with the king but you are not allowed to get closer.

What i mean is that you should start the action from far away , just like you would normally do with a normal pig who (which..?) otherwise would just run away as you get closer to him.

Basically if you just click on the king with food/trinkets from far away the pig guardians will "mostly" ignore you, unless you get too close to them while you are getting closer to the Pig King.

But yeah i feel like it should really be like this.. maybe not 4 pillars but at least 1 D:

After playing Don't Starve Together for quite a while, I still get rather annoyed by the suddenly lowering and raising obelisks surrounding the Pig King. The obelisks themselves are fit for a Pig King, but I never understood their tendency keep ascending and falling.

I like the idea with pig torches. Actually, it's a very nice one! It could be used as a variation for world creation, like juicy berry bushes or twiggy trees. I would also welcome a change that the normal obelisks would stop spasming around.

6 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

After playing Don't Starve Together for quite a while, I still get rather annoyed by the suddenly lowering and raising obelisks surrounding the Pig King. The obelisks themselves are fit for a Pig King, but I never understood their tendency keep ascending and falling.

I like the idea with pig torches. Actually, it's a very nice one! It could be used as a variation for world creation, like juicy berry bushes or twiggy trees. I would also welcome a change that the normal obelisks would stop spasming around.

They raise or lower depending on your sanity

3 hours ago, cactusarms said:

They raise or lower depending on your sanity

Not the pig ones

no matter you sanity they raise and lower like crazy I get maybe its suppose to be theatrical or to tell you he is important but they should increase the range that they go active so they don't spasm as often.

1 hour ago, Cherryzion said:

I can probably make a mod of this, for this set piece to replace the normal one. Wouldn't be too hard, just need to find the names of the tasks that spawn them in.

I'm pretty positive this already exists.

5 hours ago, Donke60 said:

Not the pig ones

no matter you sanity they raise and lower like crazy I get maybe its suppose to be theatrical or to tell you he is important but they should increase the range that they go active so they don't spasm as often.

3 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

The Pig King obelisks go up or down depending on how close you are to them in DST. I once built a camp right next to him and they drove me nuts.

Indeed. The Pig King obelisks are special. Very special...........................................

EDIT:

And by that I mean that after a while it becomes extremely annoying if you tend to hang out around the Pig King, like Rellimarual wrote.

Yeah, I've always thought it was kind of weird they're so fanatical about "DEFEND!"ing the King when they're nowhere near him, too!  XD  Although I'm not sure how long I'd be able to put up with the extra annoyance for trading, that set piece DOES make a lot more sense. 

I wouldn't base by them close enough to use the light--you'd be attacked 24/7, seriously, the light radius isn't that big--but I DO remember a time in singleplayer (my _best_ singleplayer run, in fact!) where I lived juuuust close enough down the road from guardian pigs to where I could lure the hounds there almost every time, but plenty far enough away that they wouldn't rush at me on a regular basis. That was nice.  Getting the loot afterwards required a fair bit of creative dodging though.  : P

Also, _why_ do the obelisks raise and lower in DST?  I've never gotten that.  To me it's always seemed kind of a half-breed piece of Adventure Mode that wandered in there and got lost.

...Notorious

10 hours ago, Zeruul said:

20170425215412_1.jpg

Wall those guardian pigs up and you'll get free light every night, throw some rot down in the middle and you don't even have to worry about full moons.
We don't need the Pig King to be an even better base location than it already is.

14 hours ago, Sir.Fux said:

would be funny if you could fight the pig king too, kinda like the antlion. For example you give him 20 dried monster meat and then he turns into a big werepig or something like this :D

That would seem pretty cool. Especially would get the pigking to exercise for once.ariel ID face.png

10 hours ago, JellyUltra said:

Wall those guardian pigs up and you'll get free light every night, throw some rot down in the middle and you don't even have to worry about full moons.
We don't need the Pig King to be an even better base location than it already is.

I think it's unlikely you'll always have all the materials to wall every space before winter, especially when there is more than 6 torches and in pubs.

But if you do, then I would consider that as a reward. Sometimes world gen messes up and spawn pig king in a corner of the map.

Archived