I personally have shifted to mainly using WX due to the overarching traits being highly positive when playing, specifically to yourself; eating gears to restore stats, high stats overall at full upgrade, good for speeding through the game when you have a walking cane/lazy explorer and a magiluminescence on, and even more so when charged, and the ability to eat any stale or spoiled foods without consequence seems like a really great way to go by. All that for barely any damage while fully soaked (which I honestly think should be made more lethal tbh).

Where as Wickerbottom, while the most powerful character in the game, has some rather annoying downsides. They are not too bad, but can still be a bit annoying. Most players I play with don't main Wicker at all, it's really Woodie, Wigfrid or Maxwell that seem to be the ones to be picked because they are more fun to play as, and so charges for a WX player are harder to come by. A lot of the tasks that Wicker covers are more like chores:

* Charging WX players, because they want to be charged

* Growing crops so that lureplants can eat them in order to farm them (i.e. grass, )

* Putting down tentacles in places to farm stuff for loot and possibly some bosses as well

* Spawning birds constantly for farming Krampus sacks

There's nothing in particular that would make things more interesting, just less tedious, and even then, it's still tedious quite tedious :p

Maxwell technically does chores too, but the way it's integrated via the puppets makes it a lot more fun. Same with Woodie and his faster chopping speed and werebeaver form.

So, does anyone actually love to play as Wickerbottom, or do you play as her, whenever you do, just to take up the space of sacrifice " for the greater good"? If so, is there anything fun that you can actually do as her? I personally find her boring to play as, even if she is the most powerful character in the game.

For me the only downside that I feel when I play wicker is when the sanity gets too low and I cant find a way to get higher sanity. I like playing as her but I want to try out other characters. One reason why I play as her is because she is a powerful character. I can put bosses to sleep, spawn tentacles, grow crops, spawn birds so that I can take their feathers.

When I play DST I play alone. I would love if there was someone that I could play a lot with but my laptop is old and I want to get a new PC first. I would probably be a different character if I was playing with someone else because it does get a bit boring to be the same old character.(Good thing there is a despawn command :P)

While you are correct in that Wicker does a lot of mundane tasks, these tasks often yield great rewards. And to be honest, as a Wicker main it does sometimes feel boring, especially when you're just farming dragonpies or whatnot. But personally, I think the amount of time these tasks take up is pale in comparison to other, more fun tasks. These tasks, personally, include beefalo taming, rushing beequeen, and fighting bosses. One tip I can give you to make her less boring is to play with friends or with voicechat.

@TemporaryMan you can very well survive with just a few of the basic necessary resources very late game, and I mean like day 500+ because at that point, you will have got to a point of being able to not have to use them at all almost and use living logs, nightmare fuel and possibly papyrus and gold instead.

Are there any fun creative things that people have done while playing as Wicker instead of just getting the mundane out the way is what I'm wondering, because it does feel like a sacrifice of your fun in the game to play as her.

Reasons I like Wickerbottom and she is my main.

I love her starting advantage. Being able to run and pick a few twigs and grass and craft a backpack without having to prototype it is wonderful. This also applies to spears and log suits. This is very obviously a fleeting advantage but I still love it.

The book tab (obviously). The books feel more like magic than anything in the actual magic tab (in my opinion).

• Birds of the World: Endless supply of meat and feathers. Also by far the most efficient Krampus farming for easy access to the Krampus Sack.
  • Applied Horticulture: Endless supply of Grass, Twigs, Reeds, Cactus and crock pot filler. Quickly grow trees to max for your wood supply.
  • Sleepytime Stories: Bird farming and boss management. I'd argue this as being the single most powerful effect in the game.
  • On Tentacles: Endless supply of Tentacle Spikes as well as Nightmare Fuel farms in the caves. They're a great substitute for Teeth Traps for hounds. I also use this book when killing the Bee Queen.
  • The End is Nigh: Pretty much only used to charge WX, but in the instance you're playing with a WX, it's quite nice.

I would say that Wicker does lack one of the most important and powerful advantages in the game, increased movement speed. This is where both WX and Wolfgang outshine Wicker. But, I feel what she brings to the table outweighs her failings.

Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot that is 100% unique to Wicker. Anyone can obtain a Krampus Sack, anyone can collect twigs and grass, anyone can substitute in a pan flute to put enemies to sleep, etc. Pretty much the only truly unique attribute to Wicker would be the Tentacles. Fortunately, that's an exceptionally powerful tool that is truly unique to her and her alone and with it, you can do some pretty fun stuff. So, if you're looking for something fun and creative, it's likely going to be through the use of tentacles.

But, she's not for everyone. My brother loves WX because of the fast movement speed and you just aren't going to get that with another character. You have to ask yourself what you want out of your character and what is fun for you and run with it.

one of my mains is wicker! for me, she’s really fun to play with because she makes early gameplay easier! very early on she can craft a lot of things, read her book which means more food AND more nightmare fuel, and she just synergizes with all other characters? everyone, regardless of what character you are, can benefit from having a wicker. i guess the feeling of being wanted is a bonus lmao

also, who says you cant go rush ruins or boss rush as wicker? ;p she may be great for camp building, but she’s just as capable as other characters to go out and adventure! 

me and @Wesminator took down dfly as a wicker and a maxwell lol no wolfs or wx or wigfrids! so its up to you how you wanna play! :)

@Swollson I've been summoned.

I love me some granny! Like some have said, granny's just fun to play and since she benefits everyone, there's just a lot of projects that are created by doing such. WX needs to be charged? Alright time to get that Prestihatty > Shadow Manip going. Wolfgang needs food? Lemme grab some bushes, poop, bone shards, etc. We wanna kill Bee Queen? Alrighty, all hands on deck for grass farming. You want dank swords? Lemme read these $1 Walmart books.

These tasks may seem mundane/boring/sacrificial but when I play Wicker the only thing I'm sacrificing is sanity. I have so much fun base building it's not a chore for me personally. If I'm done base building, I go on my killing sprees cuz I like fighting as well. You are really only limited by your own creativity, not just to Wicker but to any character. In addition you ultimately decide what's fun and what's not. 

Oh and one more thing that makes granny so much fun is how people will just bring you stuff. There's been plenty of time people have brought me cactus, tentacle spots, poop, chester, etc without me asking. There's a bit of that 'take care of granny' and 'granny knows wtf she's doing' mentality that players have in public servers at least. I've also been appointed leader quite a few times without knowing because when I'm early base building, I'm already aware of what the base needs so can appoint tasks for everyone. This makes new players less likely to base sit when they got tasks to complete. These are all just personal benefits of my own Wicker experiences~

15 hours ago, MrKoopa said:

For me the only downside that I feel when I play wicker is when the sanity gets too low and I cant find a way to get higher sanity. I like playing as her but I want to try out other characters. One reason why I play as her is because she is a powerful character. I can put bosses to sleep, spawn tentacles, grow crops, spawn birds so that I can take their feathers.

When I play DST I play alone. I would love if there was someone that I could play a lot with but my laptop is old and I want to get a new PC first. I would probably be a different character if I was playing with someone else because it does get a bit boring to be the same old character.(Good thing there is a despawn command :P)

I agree of what you said but I think you will realize it’s much more easier to manage sanity the more hours you get into the game. There’s many good ways like for example , green mushroom, picking flower, food, and ect

1 hour ago, SavageLemon said:

I agree of what you said but I think you will realize it’s much more easier to manage sanity the more hours you get into the game. There’s many good ways like for example , green mushroom, picking flower, food, and ect

I know I sometimes just forget about picking up green mushrooms in advance and making one of those mushroom growing things.

yes, i do love playing wicker - don't care about sanity being low, hp is easily restored with food

more than than, i like to coop with roboboys, especially if they use their speed to get some reeds and cacti

playing with robot buzzling around is fun, even more fun at bosses

I love playing wicker, the downsides don't really affect me. I actually find it fun to do all the chores and housekeeping. She also doesn't really have any combat downsides either, so I can still do all the more exciting things. Sanity can easily be replenished with cacti and greencaps too.

I play Wicker mostly because of three things :

- Tech bonus is very convenient early game, i can explore more freely and have a backpack so i can take a lot of item, and a shovel if needed

- Growing crops faster

- Tentacle book

I barely use the other books. I don't mind doing some chores time to time.

I have the feeling that if you play in a group of either new players or veteran players, playing wicker could lack some freedom and you have a lot of chore to do. Either because she is really too useful for surviving (new players), or because veteran players need her power to do stuff (farming krampus, loading WX, ...)

But in the middle, there is more space to enjoy Wickerbottom without too much chore, or with her benefit not feeling like chore (it's the repetiting part that is bad, usually).

This is of course just my feeling about her :)

I main as Wickerbottom, typically, though I'm not very good at it. She's the only character that can produce a sustainable supply of tentacle spikes, not to mention her tentacles can solo the Bee Queen. I used to think she was the only character that can sustainably put enemies to sleep, but you can actually kill the dragonfly to reconstruct a 100% pan flute.

Wickerbottom is really uh, "boring" in the sense that it takes a long time to set up her supremely awesome strategies, but I always found it more exciting than boring, getting closer and closer to the edge of death, when you've still got such a long way to go before you've built your hay walls, and gotten enough tentacle spots and papyrus to solo the bee queen. Whoops, you died of shadow monsters on day 17! Better luck next time!

Mostly I play her because of how much she can help others. Seeing people grateful for the fruits of my labor is way more fun than tanking dfly as Wolfgang. Which is terrible since I haven't had much chance to play with anyone.

I'm pretty terrible at fighting, anyway.

Archived