Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players

Don't pickup someone's backpack, especially if it's skinned (excluding rotted bags. Those are likely abandoned if they've been sitting around long enough to rot). Just leave it, and everything inside alone. That means someone is likely using it still. Even if you just want to look at it's contents and not take anything it's still rather rude. Same thing with a piggyback or krampus sack. The only exception to this would be if the bag is next to someone's corpse and you're not seeing them online. Chances are they're not coming back to get it.

Someone picking up my bag is one of the most infuriating things in this game to me. What's even worse is when I ask for my bag back and they return it completely empty. It should be obvious that I meant I wanted all my stuff back, not just the backpack.

Sorry if this has already been said. It's a large thread and I don't remember seeing this as I skimmed over the first few pages.

Can I add one?

(Didn't read all the five pages)

Be Social

I have only played survival but when you have people who act like they know everything and don't even share it (in a good way), it starts to get annoying. I know everyone on the server: The friendly person who dies every night, the helpful Wigfrid, the person who sits in the swamp and gives tentacle spikes, and the person who gives Chester and glommer to those who need them, but this person is selfish and mean. Even when you aren't, it looks that way.

So please, a hi or hello or goodbye (when exiting) is appreciated.

Also, I know this probably is kinda unfair stereotyping, but whenever somebody comes on and doesn't even say hi, I feel...a little iffy. Are you not saying "hi" because you are shy/don't speak English very well?  Or is it because you're trying to be sneaky, and are heading towards base with a torch...in daylight...

Could be either one.  So Rule #1 for me in Not Seeming Suspicious is:  Say some kind of greeting when you arrive. I make a point of saying "Hi new person!" or some such whenever a stranger arrives on my server*, and what that partly means is "I see you.  I know you're here." 

Not that griefers can't be friendly and social--the guy who burned MY base down for the first time was cracking jokes shortly beforehand--but quite often if you say nothing at all, I wonder if you're trying to just...(innocent whistle)...happen by the base, you don't even see me, doo-de-doo FIRE.

...Notorious

*For those of you about to say "Make it friends-only, then!" um...DST is how I MET all my Steam friends!  I'd still be playing alone if I had made my server friends-only from the beginning.  I like my irl friends.  But they are not gamers.  Like, at all.

On 11/3/2016 at 0:37 AM, CaptainChaotica said:

Also, I know this probably is kinda unfair stereotyping, but whenever somebody comes on and doesn't even say hi, I feel...a little iffy. Are you not saying "hi" because you are shy/don't speak English very well?  Or is it because you're trying to be sneaky, and are heading towards base with a torch...in daylight...

Agreed! And doubly so if they're playing as Willow. I'm yet to have any real trouble on the servers, but that's probably because I've been spending most of my time on private (my) servers. When someone does join, I'm always really paranoid cautious about them and their intentions. At least until we've been playing for a while and I get to know them a bit better. And as much as I hate to say it, I'd probably kick a Willow if she started acting sketchy, like ignoring comments/questions, lingering near my base for no apparent reason, making a suspiciously large amount of gunpowder . . . .   It isn't all Willows' fault of course, but she tends to be one of the more favored choices of those whom wish us no good. 

That, and as a Woodie main. I tend to have a massive potential tinderbox forest fairly close to my base camp (can we start calling them houses yet?)

Anyway, getting back to the point, I agree. When you join someone's world, be talkative! Or at least communicate with the other players every so often. 

Well, I'd be suspicious of ANYone making a whole lot of gunpowder!  : P (Unless they said beforehand, "I'm going to kill the Deerclops before he gets here" and Deerclops was indeed nearby.  Or other gunpowderable bosses.)

I also tend to have a forest near my base, and _try_ to make sure it's within range of my flings.  I use a mixed forest, as a combination wood supply & weather predictor.  When you like to randomise the seasons, it's handy to have birch trees nearby. :)  Are they turning colours?  Dropping their leaves?  Getting their leaves back?  Catching fire for no reason?  Combined Status/Season Clock PFF, I'd rather just...look at nature!  (It's not only more fun, it's more lore-friendly.)

And I...um...kind of semi-main as Willow, and in fact am playing as her in my own world right now?  (Which I imagine kind of throws some people for a loop--"BAN THE WILLO--wait, the Willow is the server admin...")  Thing is, I played that character a lot in singleplayer, where she's way MORE fiery, and I _know_ how to play her properly.  Not everybody does.  But it's still _so sad_ that that ONE character got that reputation, as The Character of Griefers.  (I'll spare you the "Anyone can make a torch or hammer" spiel.)  Just today, in fact, I ran into another Willow who seems to be really nice.  Not only have they not griefed the base, they've been taking care of the crops.

The point is:  No matter WHO you're playing as, don't act suspicious. And if you're shy, _say so_ at some point.  We don't expect everybody to be a long-winded chatterbox like me.  But say SOMEthing.

...Notorious

i never ever thought i'd have to write this, but: please don't burn living logs for fuel.

i had someone join my server today and burn all my living logs for fuel.

it was not even dark, they simply liked the 'moaning sound'.

1 hour ago, hkhm said:

i never ever thought i'd have to write this, but: please don't burn living logs for fuel.

Oh my god, I feel kind of bad for laughing at this.

2 hours ago, hkhm said:

I like to burn some living logs every now and then. But then again I usually have more then I can use normally so tossing them into the fire just gets rid of the overflow. I kinda wish they had a bigger fuel value though.

it is actually funny... now...

but picture it: i (wickerbottom) coming back to my base with purple gems and nightmare fuel all ready to build a shadow manipulator. there is a wilson just standing next to a roaring fire pit tossing logs in every few seconds. it took me a moment to grasp what was happening before yelling out: "dude! don't burn the living logs! what the hell...?!" wilson turns to look at me, then tosses another living log on the fire.

"i really like the moaning sound."

for just a moment, i was absolutely speechless.

On 12/2/2016 at 10:30 AM, hkhm said:

On 12/2/2016 at 1:07 PM, hkhm said:

it is actually funny... now...

but picture it: i (wickerbottom) coming back to my base with purple gems and nightmare fuel all ready to build a shadow manipulator. there is a wilson just standing next to a roaring fire pit tossing logs in every few seconds. it took me a moment to grasp what was happening before yelling out: "dude! don't burn the living logs! what the hell...?!" wilson turns to look at me, then tosses another living log on the fire.

"i really like the moaning sound."

for just a moment, i was absolutely speechless.

f

I'll admit, I kind of like that sound too :p   but I'm always Woodie, so I can just eat them to hear it, and at least it fills my log meter, so it isn't a whole waste. Although I certainly wouldn't burn a stranger's living logs just to hear them moan!

Although the scene you described sounds really funny, if it isn't happening to you. Just imagine Wilson keeping a totally straight face as he explains that XD 

On 12/2/2016 at 1:41 AM, CaptainChaotica said:

And I...um...kind of semi-main as Willow, and in fact am playing as her in my own world right now?  (Which I imagine kind of throws some people for a loop--"BAN THE WILLO--wait, the Willow is the server admin...")  Thing is, I played that character a lot in singleplayer, where she's way MORE fiery, and I _know_ how to play her properly.  Not everybody does.  But it's still _so sad_ that that ONE character got that reputation, as The Character of Griefers.  (I'll spare you the "Anyone can make a torch or hammer" spiel.)  Just today, in fact, I ran into another Willow who seems to be really nice.  Not only have they not griefed the base, they've been taking care of the crops.

The point is:  No matter WHO you're playing as, don't act suspicious. And if you're shy, _say so_ at some point.  We don't expect everybody to be a long-winded chatterbox like me.  But say SOMEthing.

...Notorious

True, true. I haven't actually kicked anyone without actual cause, but I agree, the worst thing they can do is act shady. Poor Willow has gained a reputation, but so far most of the ones I've meet have been fine. Personally, I'd like to contract a ton of Bernies from one! 

1 hour ago, TheTraditionalGentleman said:

True, true. I haven't actually kicked anyone without actual cause, but I agree, the worst thing they can do is act shady. Poor Willow has gained a reputation, but so far most of the ones I've meet have been fine. Personally, I'd like to contract a ton of Bernies from one! 

Aha, well, in that case, good on ya.  You're one of the, well--as per your name--gentlemen, if you don't immediately kick people just because of who they're playing.  I've run into a mix of reactions playing as Willow (on other people's servers).  I've gotten people actually yelling "BAN THE WILLOW!" (but then, thank goodness, nothing happened), people cheerfully greeting me with "Hi, pyromaniac!" and people just treating me like a normal player.  ("Hi!  Base is over here!  We could use another crockpot; do you mind making some charcoal along the way?")  Naturally I much prefer the last.  : P

As for Bernie...I keep forgetting I have him (the Willow the Unnerfed mod still includes Bernie!) and do like...nothing with him.  I tend to put him in Chester and forget he's even there, most of the time.  I guess I'm still kinda mentally stuck on playing Willow as her singleplayer self.  _Even including the new changes that are actually GOOD_.  Heh.

...Notorious

I don't think that it's been said here before, but don't judge others for how they play the game. Whether they use mods, modded characters, or have changed the game's settings in some slight way, don't act harshly to those who openly admit it. The World Gen Customization screen and official mod support were added into the game for a reason: To allow players to have fun. Isn't that what we all aim for when we play games?

3 minutes ago, TheKingDedede said:

I don't think that it's been said here before, but don't judge others for how they play the game. Whether they use mods, modded characters, or have changed the game's settings in some slight way, don't act harshly to those who openly admit it. The World Gen Customization screen and official mod support were added into the game for a reason: To allow players to have fun. Isn't that what we all aim for when we play games?

Definitely. It's odd this isn't on the first page. I'm sick of people arguing over playstyles. If I use Wes - or a server specifically listed as Wes sanctuary - it means I probably can solo the bearger. And no, your Wigfrid charging in isn't superior to my truckload of poison and traps.

4 minutes ago, Arlesienne said:

Definitely. It's odd this isn't on the first page. I'm sick of people arguing over playstyles. If I use Wes - or a server specifically listed as Wes sanctuary - it means I probably can solo the bearger. And no, your Wigfrid charging in isn't superior to my truckload of poison and traps.

Hey, I'll ruffle some feathers right now. Not yours specifically, just people who read this message and somehow get "offended". ( King Dedede, I thought you didn't use mods blahblahblah.)

If people want to play the game in a 'purist' mindset, I'm okay with that. Just don't shove it down peoples' throats. That's the part that irks me the most.

You know who I thought was a fun modded character?

Saitama. He truly lived up to his name.

Exactly!  (Well, not the Saitama thing--the playstyles thing.)  I used to play completely vanilla default, when trying to get used to how the game worked in general.  Once I thought I had a hold on it, I started doing a bit of world-gen tweaks, mainly because I love the fact that _those options are even there_!  Anything that lets you customise it to YOUR taste automatically gets some points from me. 

So, if I think that birchguards turn up way too bloody frequently to the point where they're annoying, or don't like how killer bees seem to always spawn in HUGE CLUSTERS O' DEATH that cause you to run into a beehive while running away from a beehive and then run straight into a third and there's _nowhere to turn_...I can turn those things down to "less".  (Normal treeguards I leave at default; they don't seem to have as insane a spawn rate as their leafy cousins.)

And nobody gets to give me crap about it.  :D

(...besides, I also like to randomise the season lengths.  On my latest, experimental world, I ended up with only FIVE DAYS OF AUTUMN!  That is _so_ not long enough to prepare and I'm probably gonna die. But, it's a challenge I gave myself on purpose, and one I _enjoy_ dealing with. Being swarmed in the face by obnoxious little things every time you just want some firewood or flowers is my idea of a _not_-fun challenge.  Hence, player preferences.)

I never really used mods until I started Don't Starve Together and...found out what they'd done to my beloved Willow.  "Willow the Unnerfed" was soon joined by "automatic weapon re-equip", "no thermal stone durability", "ice-fling range check", "Shipwrecked Characters", and finally "Pickle It", the only one that kinda sorta actually makes the game easier than _any version of it was_ (the others are mostly quality-of-life improvements OR meant to put it back to how things worked in singleplayer--such as the thermal stones not breaking and Willow not freezing when insane).  "Pickle It" allows you to preserve vegetables in a time-period-appropriate way and also adds more variety of said veggies--including having the new ones _spawn in the ground_, making for slightly more wild food.  (This doesn't necessarily mean it's easy to GET to--by the end of my first 40-day winter, I was resorting to _three-day-long_ treks out to "Onion Forest" for supplies.)

But even if you _do use mods with overpowered characters, furry anime people, houses with roofs, infinite fridges where things never spoil at all or gardens that grow in winter (to name just a few) your style of play is still PERFECTLY LEGIT.  Because Don't Starve, like Burger King, allows you to have it _your_ way.  Very much on purpose. 

If others don't like it, they don't have a "right" to give you crap...they just have a right to find a different server.  :)

...Notorious

1 hour ago, TheKingDedede said:

Lesson of the day, be nice and play nicely with others. I think this lesson matters more now on the forums than ever, since nowadays we seem intent on spreading hate instead of love and compassion for one another. Cheesy, but I think it needed to be said.

I'm glad someone else finally noticed.

Not sure if this one's been said already or not, but if someone gives you urgent instructions during an emergency and you're perfectly capable of following them, DO IT!

Like what happened to me just now:  A total noob/griefer in disguise? (he was acting SO dumb, I'm not sure if it was real or not) was there, had been there for a few days, and the hounds attacked.  HUGE hound wave--like Day 196 or something.  We had a huge pile of tooth traps near the base but not _too_ close for exactly this purpose.  Dumbarse was there at the _last_ hound attack so he knew where they were.

ME:  Head for the traps!

DUMBARSE:  (stays in base)

ME:  DO NOT KILL FIRE HOUNDS IN BASE!

DUMBARSE:  (stays there)

ME:  (runs up, sees, indeed, a fire hound heading right for Dumbarse, turns on fling-o-matic in one last desperate hope, goes back to traps.)

DUMBARSE:  (has been killed by Hound)

DUMBARSE:  You left me to die!

ME:  We SAID go to the traps!

OTHER PLAYER WHO WAS ALSO KIND OF A JERK, BUT SMARTER:  She was trying to help you with her instructions.

DUMBARSE:  (logs off)

And this was his _second_ death in only a few days after--deliberately, mind you--attacking a beefalo in a HUUUUUGE herd.  It's lucky they all only target whoever actually attacked one instead of whoever was there; I would've been killed too.  (As it is, the stampeding beefalo literally _shoved me aside_ to get to the other guy, it was kinda hilarious.)  He also put his spider den RIGHT next to base.  Like I said:  _Extreme_ noob who refuses to listen, or deliberate griefer in a "brilliant" idiot disguise?  Not sure.

Thank god for rollbacks.

...Notorious

What do you mean, "even me"?  : P  I'm okay with NICE noobs.  Idiots who just stand there and utterly refuse to do things _even when you're trying to help_ are another matter.

And, from the _same_ play session this morning:

Along with don't just take rare resources, don't try to _extort_ rare resources out of people either.  This guy (the "smarter but a jerk" one mentioned earlier) joined my server, playing as WX, and I started to relax and think he was okay when he started helping out at base rather than burn it down. Then when he saw my ONE gear in a chest, he immediately asked for it.

"No, I need it, I've been having trouble finding them."  (I found a grand total of TWO clockworks early on and absolutely none since; the other gears that I made my fling-o-matic and fridges with were from tumbleweeds.)

Later on, we started having food troubles (and after he said "The next harvest is mine"--and confirmed that yes, he did indeed mean _all_ for him, I should've kicked him then) and he put some stuff in the second fridge.  "Don't touch the stuff in the bottom of this fridge!" "Okay, I won't."

But then when I DARED to look in there to get _completely other stuff_ to make my own meals--from my own farms--at my own base that _I_ had made and run successfully, almost totally solo, for near 200 days--he got progressively nastier and more paranoid.  First time he was lighthearted, second time he sounded REALLY suspicious (for looking in my own damn fridge!) and started treating me like a criminal, leading to this exchange:

ME:  Wait, if anything, _I_ should be suspicious of you, 'cos this is my base and I don't know you!

HIM:  Well, if you give me that gear I'll make my own base.

Phrack.  You.

That's...extortion.  "Give me this rare resource that you have an _incredibly_ hard time finding" (at least, _I_ always do) "and I'll go away and stop being a complete jerk."  You'll stop being bossy and accusatory--when YOU'RE the stranger!--if I give you a freaking _gear_ I'm saving for a second fling-o-matic, when the first one barely covers half the base?  Yeahno.

Act friendly and helpful and it's _our_ base.  Act like THAT, and it's kickville.  Also other methods of sanity-restoring exist; don't use up somebody's tent in only, like, three days tops if they're even _directly offering you cooked green mushrooms_ (as happened with Dumbarse).

Don't be those guys.  You don't have to be perfect, but don't be _those_ guys.

...Notorious

Archived