Please no Cannibalism

Simply that, I know I have spoken about this before but my paranoia has gotten the best of me again and thus this thread.

I'm mostly in the minority it seems when it comes to this, as it makes me feel physically sick to even think about the topic. As the date for DST being playable by the public in a closed beta nears, I can't say I'm actually excited to play even if I get a key, just because of cannibalism.

My own personal shortcoming's aside, I really don't know why it was considered in the first place. It's never been even been hinted at in the game, and it feels like it's out of place. The mechanics as they were introduced in the PAX demo means that the "long pig" is effectively useless survival wise, and really just there for the shock value if anything. If the item only has downsides to dissuade the player from using it, why is it there at all?

This is just what I've gathered from what we know, and I haven't been checking the forums as avidly as of late, so any sort of update that I didn't mention here I probably just missed.

I suppose just take this as a plea, but again this is only the plea of a single player. Take it as you will.

I imagine it's for consistency with how most if not all other living things in the game drop meat in one way or another. From what I remember it's kinda like monster meat in the sense it fills you to a degree but hurts and drives you nuts. If you're starving it could get you by, but only if you're doing okay in the health department. :i

Though I doubt you would be the only player sensitive to that sort of thing, so maybe it could be a toggle option. I don't mind it myself, but I can see how people could get unnerved by it. 

"it makes me physically sick to even think about the topic"

You're overreacting. You really are.

I mean, I suppose there's no reason not to have a toggle, but sheesh, is this really such a huge deal?

I'm mostly in the minority it seems when it comes to this, as it makes me feel physically sick to even think about the topic.

it doesn't cause me to vomit or gain polio but it makes me feel sick. I'm simply saying my take to this item/mechanic, as this entire sub-forum is dedicated to that.

You didn't have to come here and make rude comments about me, not even about just the thread or the idea which would still be extremely uncalled for.

If you don't agree with me, fine. I can certainly live with that. If you'd like to defend the idea of cannibalism or give it praise, then there are other ways to put it and other threads for that.

it doesn't cause me to vomit or gain polio but it makes me feel sick. I'm simply saying my take to this item/mechanic, as this entire sub-forum is dedicated to that.

You didn't have to come here and make rude comments about me, not even about just the thread or the idea which would still be extremely uncalled for.

If you don't agree with me, fine. I can certainly live with that. If you'd like to defend the idea of cannibalism or give it praise, then there are other ways to put it and other threads for that.

Just keep in mind that you can simply mod it so dead players don't drop it, eventually of course, when modding will be supported.

\:

First of all, you're telling me to put my disagreement with the idea in other threads, rather than the thread it would actually relate to? (Which, if you actually read my post, you would know that I don't disagree with a toggle for cannibalism.)

And how exactly is saying you're overreacting a "rude comment"? Because it's not praise/agreement? Please don't try to seem like a 'victim' or whatever, makes you look like a sjw from Tumblr.

welp i ought to get outta here before i get a warning or somethin 

Simply that, I know I have spoken about this before but my paranoia has gotten the best of me again and thus this thread.

I'm mostly in the minority it seems when it comes to this, as it makes me feel physically sick to even think about the topic. As the date for DST being playable by the public in a closed beta nears, I can't say I'm actually excited to play even if I get a key, just because of cannibalism.

My own personal shortcoming's aside, I really don't know why it was considered in the first place. It's never been even been hinted at in the game, and it feels like it's out of place. The mechanics as they were introduced in the PAX demo means that the "long pig" is effectively useless survival wise, and really just there for the shock value if anything. If the item only has downsides to dissuade the player from using it, why is it there at all?

This is just what I've gathered from what we know, and I haven't been checking the forums as avidly as of late, so any sort of update that I didn't mention here I probably just missed.

I suppose just take this as a plea, but again this is only the plea of a single player. Take it as you will.

You are aware that you are complaining about the idea of cannibalism in DST when forms of cannibalism already persist in the base game and Rog. ex., You feed Pig(men) their own meat to have them follow you around. You can feed birds their own meat to have them lay eggs, certain monster types will eat any meat they find on they ground even if its their fallen comrades. Honestly the Idea for players to drop meat when they die perfectly fits into the already implemented system. 

That being said, it could always be a toggle "on/off" option for DST.

\:

First of all, you're telling me to put my disagreement with the idea in other threads, rather than the thread it would actually relate to? (Which, if you actually read my post, you would know that I don't disagree with a toggle for cannibalism.)

And how exactly is saying you're overreacting a "rude comment"? Because it's not praise/agreement? Please don't try to seem like a 'victim' or whatever, makes you look like a sjw from Tumblr.

welp i ought to get outta here before i get a warning or somethin 

I'm saying that its rude to tell someone that they're overreacting when they're just stating how they feel.  And I didn't say to had to just move it to another thread, again you're misquoting me. I said "there are other ways to put it AND other threads for that." If you'd like to discuss something I brought up here, then by all means. Such as the toggle for instance:

I'm personally not all for "just make it a toggle" because it still feels extremely unnecessary and out of place as I said in the OP. It feels like "make Wes a balloon instead of a ghost" all over again.

And if you think you're going to get a warning because of this, chances are you're doing something to deserve it. I personally won't report your posts just because I don't feel they warrant that much action, but putting "victim" in quotes and all that other stuff, I don't even know what to say about it-- Won't win you any friends.

You are aware that you are complaining about the idea of cannibalism in DST when forms of cannibalism already persist in the base game and Rog. ex., You feed Pig(men) their own meat to have them follow you around. You can feed birds their own meat to have them lay eggs, certain monster types will eat any meat they find on they ground even if its their fallen comrades. Honestly the Idea for players to drop meat when they die perfectly fits into the already implemented system. 

That being said, it could always be a toggle "on/off" option for DST.

Its more along the lines of, when YOU die you don't drop any meat as it stands in SP. Self cannibalism will probably never be added to the SP game, and as you could tell from this thread I would hope it wouldn't.

I thought DST wasn't going to get any exclusive content? With cannibalism MP currently (or at least from what last we saw at the PAX demo) offers more then the SP, aside from the mechanics that are in place to make MP fair and work (like ghosts or whatever they're doing for death).

And there's a big difference between mobs and actual human players humans, and I still get grossed out if I see a spider munching on its friend.

The whole "I cant wait to murder everyone and eat them" mentality that some players because doesn't seem like fun or for fair unskilled players. I don't want to see community divides and the game not being accessible to new players.

There's also rating, right now on the ps4 Don't stave has a rating for T for teen for "Fantasy Violence, Crude Humor" a thing like cannibalism, this blatant that is, usually would shoot up the rating to M.

As for the toggle option i stated that before in another reply.

Hi there

I think is not big deal is just a loot who players drop... and if someone else eat that loot you won't see some animation with a guy eating legs or some organs. And I think Klei will make some special item with that loot because we all lose base HP when someone die. We die like 5 times and is game over, that loot is a very special item.

But well if you don't like, wait for a mod, make a request in mod section for this mod, after it's officially released, ofc, we talk here about a speculation. At first I think is just Vanilla version and some mechanics to support multiplayer.

Hi there

I think is not big deal is just a loot who players drop... and if someone else eat that loot you won't see some animation with a guy eating legs or some organs. And I think Klei will make some special item with that loot because we all lose base HP when someone die. We die like 5 times and is game over, that loot is a very special item.

But well if you don't like, wait for a mod, make a request in mod section for this mod, after it's officially released, ofc, we talk here about a speculation. At first I think is just Vanilla version and some mechanics to support multiplayer.

I don't see why you keep saying loot, I'm fully aware that its human flesh in the game. And I could make the mod argument too, saying that anyone who wants cannibalism can just wait for/make a mod of it, making it a completely moot point.

I don't see why you keep saying loot, I'm fully aware that its human flesh in the game. And I could make the mod argument too, saying that anyone who wants cannibalism can just wait for/make a mod of it, making it a completely moot point.

Well is loot. I also consider cruel to kill Koalefant for that loot. Is the most innocent animal from game, is like a child. I never kill it since I don't need innocent flesh anymore.

Edit:

I am not pro or against. I simply don't care what is their decision. is none of my business. I will play pvp anyway, I am not that type building nice walls and stuff. I am a warrior. Don't misunderstood me. I don't care about eating human flesh but I am ok with/without it.

and I still get grossed out if I see a spider munching on its friend.

I could understand the notion of human cannibalism making you sick, but, excuse me, how do even play this game if even the act of animal cannibalism (which is almost inevitable, unless you throw yourself into the midst of pigs/spiders battle and pick up any dropped meat) grosses you out?

"it makes me physically sick to even think about the topic"

You're overreacting. You really are.

I mean, I suppose there's no reason not to have a toggle, but sheesh, is this really such a huge deal?

Not everyone is like you. Not everyone reacts to the same subjects like you. To me, it's not a big deal either. But you have to understand some people will.

Just be kind, if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing. I know this is the internet and all, but there's no call for being rude about what someone feels.

Some people are squeamish, that doesn't mean you have to try to provoke an argument. It is obviously a big deal to them, otherwise they would not post.

I'd vote toggle option, personally. I like the idea of having to make a moral choice in the game. I like the idea of being starving in the middle of winter, and Willow keels over, and I have to decide if I'm okay with surviving a little longer if it means eating her remains. I'd say that I probably would NOT be okay with it.....but I can't say that with certainty. I have a friend who will not eat meat in Don't Starve period, the idea bothers him. However, I've seen him cram a butterfly in his mouth to regain HP, as much as it pained him to do so.  I understand that it is a sensitive subject, I do, but every other living thing in Don't Starve, or ALMOST every other living thing, drops some kind of meat. Consistency would be keeping it.

TL;DR toggle option with it off by default would probably fix this issue, I think? You'd only see it if you specifically enabled it. Put it waaaay at the bottom of the toggle list maybe?

If the item only has downsides to dissuade the player from using it, why is it there at all?

In situations of starvation, cannibalism is not uncommon. It could function in a similar role in the game, as a food of last resort.

That being said, I agree with you that it doesn't serve much gameplay purpose, given that starvation is very rarely how anyone dies in Don't Starve, ironically.

OK help me understand the freaky factor here because I don't get it. Would it still weird you out as much if players dropped monster meat? What about if they dropped regular meat like a pig man? What if they dropped monster meat, and you could't tell if it was "their" monster meator if it was monster meat they were carrying in their inventory when they died? I am not being condescending or rude. I am genuinely trying to figure out what part is disturbing.

I guess I just don't understand. It isn't a graphic, detailed representation of heinous acts. I might be a vegetarian, but if I eat a bunny to survive, I don't feel I'll. I don't picture *insert incredibly graphic and nauseating description of killing, gutting and skinning a bunny wabbit* I guess this feels like basically the same thing.

That is because it is an accurate representation of a survival scenario.

It is just words on a screen in a game. It is one image file being instantly swapped with another image file. Help me understand, because I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm in the very back of the bus, chillin' with the sociopathic kids.

Archived