Please no Cannibalism

Funny you should recently mention Dr. Seuss.

Seems like I'm not the only one who sees it that way. Now all we need is someone to mention Pikmin (my first impression of the game after seeing a trailer for it was Minecraft meets Pikmin)

but getting back on topic...

This is a survival game, and considering the title, People can do alot of crazy things to survive.

And just as an artist I'm sick of anything with a slightly sketchy style being called "Tim Burton".

Big-time agreement here. I don't see why people are so eager to credit him for the game's style, which I find refreshing and original and not derivative of any single artist I'm familiar with. I guess there is a skinny guy in white face paint in the game, but that's the only resemblance to Burton's work that I can see.

You stated in the beginning that you appear to be 'mostly in the minority.' If you think that, it doesn't make sense for you to ask for a cannibalism mechanic not to be implemented. Furthermore, you also refuse an option for it to be toggled on or off by asserting that it's a 'useless mechanic.' Don't Starve Together may not be out yet, but based on what Klei has stated, saying the meat item dead players are planned to drop is useless doesn't make sense. By that rationale, one could argue that Monster Meat adds absolutely nothing to the game, when it may actually save starving players who are doing fine on health and sanity. It's logical for Long Pig to have stronger effects since it would be harder to acquire, requiring you to engage in combat with other players.

I would personally really like to see this mechanic in the game. However, I realize that not everyone shares my opinion, but I can also clearly see how this mechanic would be rich and valuable, and thus the only fair way of thinking would be to support a toggle option.

You said it far better than I could, exactly!

Quite simply, if everything that disturbs somebody gets removed from the game, we won't have a game anymore. The devs will find the right balance, even if that includes cartoon cannibalism.

And there's the tl;dr of it

I'd like to add in my cents and say I support cannibalism and I find that the slight controversy it generates to be a good thing--it grabs peoples attention, inadvertently widening the player base.

I can see the "Together" advertisements now: "Eat your friends!!" People will click and see what's up like no tomorrow~!

I see nothing wrong with cannibalism in a gaming standpoint--just a poof, item drop and you eat it--nothing graphic.

As mentioned previously, pigs, hounds, and birds all freely eat meat drops from fallen kin--but I can see why it would be a bother to some, yet it doesn't seem that not putting it in would be any better---the marketing, just think!!

The ship combat exploration game, Sunless Sea, has a bit of the old timey charm like Don't Starve and a main selling point is "Eat your crew~!"

And something that's less germane would be Minecraft in where rotting flesh from zombies can be consumed--now that's a teeny tiny bit sick, yah?

I'm saying I would NOT be "logical" at that point,  but feral, and anybody defending that state as "logical" would likely not be then. 

But there have been several cases which weren't even far in the past of people resorting to cannibalism who made that decision by thinking it through and those remained sane all the way through. I don't think it's anyhow primal or even feral to do what has to be done to survive.

It seems like it boils down to this, @Maximum124 :

You don't want cannibalism in your game? Fine. That is totally fair. That is your opinion and you have every right to play the way you want. Some of us may disagree or not understand, but we have no right to judge.

You don't want cannibalism to be enabled by default? That seems pretty fair too. Those of us who want it could just enable it (as long as it IS an option). Whatevs.

You don't want the game to even have the option of enabling it? Now hold on a minute. That really isn't fair anymore. How me and my friends want to play doesn't affect you. It isn't fair to take the option from others because you don't like it.

There needs to be compromise, and that is a two way street.

This is Don't Starve *Together,* so the person who dies might have an opinion. If that person gives permission, does that make a difference?

(I can imagine my husband and I playing together, desperate in the middle of winter, and one of us dies; I feel confident that we would want the other one to eat the remains to live another day!)

(I can imagine my husband and I playing together, desperate in the middle of winter, and one of us dies; I feel confident that we would want the other one to eat the remains to live another day!)

well, I would be a sad sad ghost if someone ate my body against my will...

and about cannibalism, all we can do for now is wait for Klei's answers on the matter.

well, I would be a sad sad ghost if someone ate my body against my will...

"Excuse you, I am better served with garlic butter, not barbecue sauce you in walnut useless creation." 

and about cannibalism, all we can do for now is wait for Klei's answers on the matter.

In the streams when they mentioned the Long Pig, SethR seemed pretty chipper talking about it, as it does seem to be something tongue in cheek. As it is, it's pretty harmless as some players might not even make the connection if they haven't been paying attention to the streams/dev notes. But, I still stand by if anything is going to be changed about it, that we get a toggle just for the sake of some people's peace of mind. Honestly, if anything it'll probably become another way to make eggs more than people actually eating it. I don't think anyone's going to be using it as their first resort for satisfying their munchies. 

I will die a happy Lady if when I move on to greener pastures servers, my friends go:

"NOOOOOOOOO!"

*dramatic weeping*   

"Lady Meda!  You can't die!  What will I do without you?! *OhmNomNom*  I'll miss you so muhuhuhuch! *OhmNomNomNom*  How will I ever go on?!  *OhmNomNomNom*"

I will be happy.

Deepest apologies if that offends the OP, but I've been dying to say that since the announcement of DST.

I'd rather my friends get a sanity hit by eating my remains over getting fed to the camp bird for eggs. Or have my remains eaten by hounds, spiders, etc. At least I'm fueling my friends instead of my foes...or their friggin' bird... I like being useful lol, but most people I'll be playing with are unlikely to use my remains in any way but to feed to the bird lol

I will die a happy Lady if when I move on to greener pastures servers, my friends go:

"NOOOOOOOOO!"

*dramatic weeping*   

"Lady Meda!  You can't die!  What will I do without you?! *OhmNomNom*  I'll miss you so muhuhuhuch! *OhmNomNomNom*  How will I ever go on?!  *OhmNomNomNom*"

I will be happy.

Deepest apologies if that offends the OP, but I've been dying to say that since the announcement of DST.

So you're saying we're your cats? 

Archived