Please no Cannibalism

Preaching intolerance about them preaching intolerance isn't that helpful; please do think about  that and try to see their positive contributions as well, at least here. (Gave up on CoD for example.) 

Most of the kids are like that in games. They think they can do whatever they want. Of course there are some rare occasions where a kid is behaving well and is helpful... but that's rare.

I can guess how kids will play DST:

- no tips nor help, insults instead;

- fights bosses alone;

- can't save resources;

- wastes valuable weapons for it's enjoyment;

- will rage after every death;

- will rage if you take any food while you are starving;

- will not care about you at all;

- might kill you for fun;

- might argue with use of many pervert words.

- and a lot more...

I'm sure kids will behave like that, either all together or separatly.

And about positive aspects of them... I can see only rude ways that work on their disadvantage:

- troll them;

- trick them out to give you valuable stuff;

- manipulate them to act as a meat shield or do stuff for you;

I'm not going to do such things unless the kid will behave as I listed above.

Intolerant or not, this is true. The internet will confirm it.

Gerd Dermit i had a really good discussion post and it didn't post. Can't be bothered to attempt to retype it :/

TL;DR:

-How does the mod make the game "more mature" ? it's a loot drop. Overreaction much? Not unlike what people were saying about the OP - but opposite. The game is already pretty dark as-is.

-Risks entering "Fetish" territory with a mod. There are people who enjoy Cannibalism for other reasons. Just saying. Do we want DST to cater to that sort of idea or encourage that?

-I suppose it adds some tactics in sacrificing members of your party if you're all dying of starvation. But doesnt that simply make the game easier if you just get revived right after? Doesn't the avilability of grass mean you could just farm people and make starving meaningless?

I think i would be most disappointed if 90% of DST servers ended up with this mod. I'd rather see more variation.

Gerd Dermit i had a really good discussion post and it didn't post. Can't be bothered to attempt to retype it :/

TL;DR:

-How does the mod make the game "more mature" ? it's a loot drop. Overreaction much? Not unlike what people were saying about the OP - but opposite. The game is already pretty dark as-is.

-Risks entering "Fetish" territory with a mod. There are people who enjoy Cannibalism for other reasons. Just saying. Do we want DST to cater to that sort of idea or encourage that?

-I suppose it adds some tactics in sacrificing members of your party if you're all dying of starvation. But doesnt that simply make the game easier if you just get revived right after? Doesn't the avilability of grass mean you could just farm people and make starving meaningless?

I think i would be most disappointed if 90% of DST servers ended up with this mod. I'd rather see more variation.

Just because players would drop longpig (human flesh) does not mean it would encourage Cannibalism  at all, as it was implemented before, the flesh gave a huge sanity hit, I could hardly see others running around killing for that flesh alone.

There are other aspects of the game that could have indeed been improved or added upon by having the players drop their own type of "meat", Different types of meat effigies, current meat effigies being able to take the "human flesh" as an ingredient or being able to bury them in graves to have an effect like players visiting their grave site after being resurrected to wipe the stat debuff etc,

There are a bunch of design directions that could have been taken instead of just wiping the entire thing. 

Most of the kids are like that in games. They think they can do whatever they want. Of course there are some rare occasions where a kid is behaving well and is helpful... but that's rare.

I can guess how kids will play DST:

- no tips nor help, insults instead;

- fights bosses alone;

- can't save resources;

- wastes valuable weapons for it's enjoyment;

- will rage after every death;

- will rage if you take any food while you are starving;

- will not care about you at all;

- might kill you for fun;

- might argue with use of many pervert words.

- and a lot more...

I'm sure kids will behave like that, either all together or separatly.

And about positive aspects of them... I can see only rude ways that work on their disadvantage:

- troll them;

- trick them out to give you valuable stuff;

- manipulate them to act as a meat shield or do stuff for you;

I'm not going to do such things unless the kid will behave as I listed above.

Intolerant or not, this is true. The internet will confirm it.

And if you have seen Klei's Community, you know of course this place isn't like "most people," kids included. if I may positively single out two young age members for instance: @MenaAthena and @geni0529 who are helpful, polite, fun and (mostly ;) ) well behaved. While I can't say this will be the way  most "kids" will be, (at least the ones 13+ are, younger ones may vary,) many in Klei's forums are certainly guided to better behavior by fellow forumers if it's ever an issue in the first place. 

As for non forumers/those who don't care, Klei has besides the forum guidelines  the Terms of Service that applies to all games played. (Pay Close attention to numbers 11.6 and 13.) Should you find some people (regardless of age, but children included,) are doing this said bad behavior in game, take the time to get their name (backspace and the account name should show up in the bottom right corner last I checked for DST) and report it to Klei (choose "other," or email them or PM an admin like JoeW here) and they will take action (And for in game things, please do report it to Klei as we Mods look after the forums, not necessarily the in game community.) 

But this topic shouldn't be derailed by procedure/behavior when it's about cannibalism. 

If you have any further concerns on procedural or how Kids are today in games, feel free to email Klei/PM us or make a thread on it on the OT area. We'll all be happy to reply on any concerns be it a volunteer Moderator to the Big Cheese Foot of Klei Entertainment! 

Just because players would drop longpig (human flesh) does not mean it would encourage Cannibalism  at all, as it was implemented before, the flesh gave a huge sanity hit, I could hardly see others running around killing for that flesh alone.

There are other aspects of the game that could have indeed been improved or added upon by having the players drop their own type of "meat", Different types of meat effigies, current meat effigies being able to take the "human flesh" as an ingredient or being able to bury them in graves to have an effect like players visiting their grave site after being resurrected to wipe the stat debuff etc,

There are a bunch of design directions that could have been taken instead of just wiping the entire thing. 

The concern is the exposure of this cannibalism in the first place to children (younger than teens for this example.) Reworking an entire development of content  for one kind of drop is time consuming, especially when Klei is trying to work on a stable release of DST immediately, let alone future MP content at this time. 

This based on the extensive feedback from here and multiple other same topic threads (as well as PMs and other hidden non-public feedback) was the best compromise done at the time of this ramping for DST. 

Future options may be considered later-as things like the add on is out of beta-but only if it can be done responsibly and without forcing others to content they may wish to avoid (doubly so as in they need to be shielded if notably underage and they can't consent in the first place.

This also is considering there is only so much a parent can look for it it's not installed on the computer and this is a very esoteric thing they could miss if not monitoring the kids' gameplay all the time.) 

This topic was brought up day one when multiplayer was announced. Considering any single person responsible for a decision is unfair and unreasonable.

As this thread can no longer apparently function in a constructive manner, it is being locked.

Archived