Don't starve character backstory's

For Willow, it seems she went to the Constant willingly. Consider this flavor text from her vignette: Willow always regarded being brought to The Constant as a new beginning. It allowed her to leave everything behind, after all.

Another interesting piece of evidence for this is her line for the Maxwell statue in DS: "I'm beginning to dislike that man." It implies she wasn't disliking him to begin with.

I'm fascinated at what could possibly be worse in the real world that she would prefer the Constant. I like the idea of her being this arsonist criminal on the run, escaping to a world where she could burn whatever she wants. But then it turns out not so great.

On 12/15/2018 at 12:34 PM, lifetheuniverse said:

IIRC there was something about her being locked away for being a loony arsonist.

...if there's anything of truth in the Gorge skins, she might've also been incredibly poor and down on her luck regardless.

Oooh I would like to know where this info is from. Her being poor was also hinted at with the "orphan" skin concept, as well as possibly being an orphan (if it could be considered canon, also, it might just be a prototype of the Gorge skin).

Another Willow tidbit: She has stated multiple times that she was in the Girl Scouts. This confirms her living in America. I can't determine if this destroys the her being poor/orphan theory though. Is it expensive to be a Girl Scout? :wilson_confused:

...y'know, Googling the Willow Asylum thing led me to other posts around the forum about it, but no actual source. That concept might actually be a communal hallucination among forum members.
There's some stuff about her being down on her luck, though.

The Willow Vignette quote:
"Willow always regarded being brought to The Constant as a new beginning. It allowed her to leave everything behind, after all."

Her perks/penalties line up with being poor too, homeless even. Fire obsessed, always having a way of creating warmth with her. When she goes crazy, she starts freezing, like that's something her mind associates with stress. Best friend is a stuffed animal; she didn't have any actual people that she could depend on.

The possible orphanage thing would go along with that too. Either it burned, or she got dumped out with no idea how to Life.

5 hours ago, lifetheuniverse said:

The possible orphanage thing would go along with that too. Either it burned, or she got dumped out with no idea how to Life.

Here's what I know so far:

She was in a orphanage..

Willow was in the scouts.

She arrived in the Constant in her early or late twenties.

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Here's what I know so far:

She was in a orphanage..

Willow was in the scouts.

She arrived in the Constant in her early or late twenties.

I suppose she is a pyromaniac(?). This could mean she had an abusive childhood in her orphanage.... Her quote about hte toy boat trinket she isn't fond of her childhood, but she still shows her infantile side. I believe in her girl scouts days she found a community where she could blossomed. Just wanna know where her personal items come from. Are they belonging from the beginning? Her Lucky Lighter is made of gold (at least ingame) so... she might have parents from the upper class? 

Something interesting is her quote about the lying robot trinket. Why did she associated the robot with a flamethrower? Flamethrowers were re-invented for the World War I  and used by the Germans in 1914/15. She couldn't be in the Constant before 1914. However it's not really proof she is responsible for the Voxola incident.

On 12/2/2018 at 5:41 PM, Mooagain said:

I have found some clues about characters lives from before they entered the Constant, based off their quotes.

The license plate trinket from shipwrecked it my favorite item in the game. Because some characters have no idea what it is, and, some do. Licence plates were invented in 1918, right before the Voxola factory burned down. Wickerbotam, Woody, Warbucks, Wolfgang, and Maxwell have never seen anything like it before, while Webber says "Where is the automobile?" showing that he knows what it is. Another trinket, the broken hairdryer from hallowed nights, helps this too. Willow knows what it is, but Webber doesn't. Hairdryers were invented in 1920, the year after the Voxola fire.

This means that Webber entered the Constant in 1919, the same year as the Voxola fire. I have heard theories that Webber is The son of Robert Wagstaff, and Given that they both mysteriously disappeared the same year, this is probably the truth.

Willow entered after the fire, probably just before Wilson. Willow probably stated the Voxola fire, nut her reason to do this is unknown. Maybe she did it on orders of someone who was trying to stop Maxwell/Them? Willows vignette from last years forge could also be important, as there is something in the back ground behind the fire. I couldn't figure out what it was, but if anyone else can get a good close up that would be great.

WX-78 was probably made by Wagstaff, seeing as he has a similar  name to the Voxola PR-76. I have not seen WX's quotes on the Iron Hulks head, which could be important. WX also calls the science machine "Mother" so he may have been built using a science machine.

Also, I think that Wagstaff could become a playable character when the Aporkalypse is added, since he is the most likely candidate for the creator of the Iron Hulk.

I fascinated by your theories and your point of view to trinkets ! and how the way you discover lore with them.

but i have some questions and would be grateful if u answer 

1 - how about the examine of charecter isnt related to lore, if they just was an easter egg or for fun . for example wx say about lying robat "his name is HAL . he is my friend" . so is it means wx know "2001: a space odyssey "and cuz movie made in 1968 , means wx came in constant after 1968?!

2 - how u realised Licence plates were invented in 1918? 

and Hairdryers were invented in 1920 ? 

and i also i didnt find quote for hairdry . can put it here

3 - somewhere u say all charecters(except winona) where entered in constant between 1906 to 1922 . 1906 is confirmed cuz maxwell entered first in san frasisco earthquake . and u say wilson was last person(proof?!) and klei say he entered 1922(proof?!)

thanks for reading and sorry for my english .

The licence plate and hairdryer dates I just googled.

Klei said that Wilson is from 1920-1922, and Wilson and Willow are the only characters that know about the hairdryer. Wilson most likely entered after Willow, because he saved Maxwell, and nobody else (exept Winona) would have entered after that.

The licence plate quotes can be found on the wiki on the trinkets page, and each characters individual quotes for both can be found on their personal quotes page on the wiki.

1 hour ago, Ham3d said:

I fascinated by your theories and your point of view to trinkets ! and how the way you discover lore with them.

but i have some questions and would be grateful if u answer 

1 - how about the examine of charecter isnt related to lore, if they just was an easter egg or for fun . for example wx say about lying robat "his name is HAL . he is my friend" . so is it means wx know "2001: a space odyssey "and cuz movie made in 1968 , means wx came in constant after 1968?!

2 - how u realised Licence plates were invented in 1918? 

and Hairdryers were invented in 1920 ? 

and i also i didnt find quote for hairdry . can put it here

3 - somewhere u say all charecters(except winona) where entered in constant between 1906 to 1922 . 1906 is confirmed cuz maxwell entered first in san frasisco earthquake . and u say wilson was last person(proof?!) and klei say he entered 1922(proof?!)

thanks for reading and sorry for my english .

I think it's not canon that character's referencing something like quotes from movies or people from about X years later - they are eastereggs and make some quotes quite funny. (Read in the 'Trivia' section of Wilson's quote here, for example: http://dontstarve.wikia.com/wiki/Wilson_quotes).

I don't know what @Mooagain's sources about the licence plate is but licence plates were used earlier in the some US states than 1918, according to the English and German Wikipedia entry. But I admit that licence plates were made of different materials- I saw a plate made of leather (before 1913) on google images.

The blow hairdryer: it was patented by an American in 1911 and went to the market in 1915, according to the English Wiki's article on "Hair dryer". I think the quotes for the hairdryer are misleading as it is a Broken Hairdryer but some characters seem to not know what this is. (Webber: What's it for? or Wicker:What an odd contraption.) but it might be their personal desinterest (Wicker is an older lady and Webber is a child who might be not up to date).

16 hours ago, Mooagain said:

Licence plates and hairdryers were invented before, but licence plates only became a legal requirement in 1918, and handheld hairdryers, like the one in the game, were commercialized for household use in 1920

Huh I thought the licence plate requirement was a matter of a state. NY seems to be the first, but I couldn't found more and I don't wanna search for each state. At least we can confirm that Wickerbottom dissapeared after 1911 because she know of Scoville (her Lava pepper quote).

But I am quite unsure about the hairdryer because 1920's design doesn't have the the colorful plastic (?) outside. Also, the wikipedia article has a link for an newspaper from 1915 with ad for a portable hairdryer. So I cannot agree 100%. Yes, I visited some sites about hairdryers and some timelines set 1920 as the date of the portable hairdryer.... Maybe it's just an item from an other Klei game and we think pretty far-fetched:confused:

Some more stuff about Webber being Wagstaff's son:

Webber's quote about the alchemy engine and burnt alchemy engine is "all our work... wasted" and the burnt thermal measurer is "how come everything turns to ashes? it's sad"

This sounds like he lost something in a fire. What is an important fire in the games story...

10 hours ago, Mooagain said:

Some more stuff about Webber being Wagstaff's son:

Webber's quote about the alchemy engine and burnt alchemy engine is "all our work... wasted" and the burnt thermal measurer is "how come everything turns to ashes? it's sad"

This sounds like he lost something in a fire. What is an important fire in the games story...

You guys. need to like stop and take like a whole bottle of chill pills. and I think this quote sums up all the mental gymnastics you guys are doing.
All our hard work wasted. well yes he built that it went up in flames of course i'd be angry if all my work went to waste.

and the second quote. kids tend to be dramatic. so when you lose stuff of course your going to act like its the end of the world.

"This sounds like he lost something in a fire"

IDK JIM maybe its because he just lost stuff in the fire. that happened right in front of him.

What i'm trying to say when it comes to quotes is has it ever occurred to any of you. that the characters say those things because its relevent to the moment. and not because there's some secret backstory lore that is hinted at you with every quote.

14 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

What i'm trying to say when it comes to quotes is has it ever occurred to any of you. that the characters say those things because its relevent to the moment. and not because there's some secret backstory lore that is hinted at you with every quote.

True.

I still having doubts about Webber being relative to Wagstaff and Willow being a orphan actually.

4 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

You guys. need to like stop and take a like a whole bottle of chill pills. and I think this quote sums up all the mental gymnastics you guys are doing.
All our hard work wasted. well yes he built that it went up in flames of course i'd be angry if all my work went to waste.

and the second quote. kids tend to be dramatic. so when you lose stuff of course your going to act like its the end of the world.

"This sounds like he lost something in a fire"

IDK JIM could he have just lost stuff in the fire. that happened right in front of him.

Well I admit I believe there is something about Webber's father we want to know. He's a farmer, yet he and the grandpa seems to be educated.

But I still think that Webber's name is just the surname (like Ms. Wickerbottom) and because it is associated with spider'web' - so no Webber Wagstaff for me. Aaand Webber's family has a farm - I don't think Mr. Wagstaff has time to maintain a farm AND a factory. 

In my earlier post about Webber's fire related quotes, I was probably just over reacting. I forgot how over dramatic kids are.

But I do have an explanation for the farm house. Webber's father is said (by Webber) that he lived on a farm, had goats, had an alchemy engine, and wore top hats. From my experience, farmers do not generally wear top hats. Webber's father must have changed jobs at some point, going from poor farmer to rich business man. Webber's Victorian skin is that of a child from a rich family. 

Archived