Don't starve character backstory's

I said that because it can explain why Maxwell's door can work. Well, Maxwell's quote on the Broken clockworks somewhat implies HE created them, not because they lie in the ruins. Maxwell already traversed the ruins.  The broken clockwork thing are just a pile of different clockwork pieces. Of course it's not a proof for my statement.

I’ll put some more timeline notes here:

Aside from Winona, word of god says Wilson was the latest to enter the constant (possible exception to Hamlet related shenanigans)

I’ll chalk up Wilson’s ignorance of a hair dryer to be similar to his thinking gnomes serve a religious function, because he knows what a license plate and an AAC device is. The AAC device in question has little left but a circuit board and Wilson still recognizes it. Circuit boards were invented in 1936. I have reason to suspect that the other side of the AAC device is partly intact, so Wilson’s quote regarding it proves nothing, however, I later establish that WX-78 must have entered after 1936 because they recognize the circuit board. Wilson was said to be the last one (again, exempting Winona) so Wilson still has to be after 1936. Wilson: 1936-1940

Willow was in Girl Scouts so she entered after 1915. She recognizes the hair dryer, too, so after 1920. She is ambiguous the license plate and radio. Willow: 1920-1935

Wolfgang doesn’t recognize anything. He also can’t speak fluently, so who knows. We can tell he has no idea what a license plate is so we can put a latest possible date on his entry. He knows a football helmet is “for tackling” so we can wager he probebly entered in an era with football. (Post 1869.) Wolfgang: 1869-1918

Wendy doesn’t recognize the hair dryer at all, so she entered at the latest during 1920. She has seen spaceships, so using “Man in the Moon” as a rough date for the popularization of spaceships, she entered after 1902 Wendy: 1902-1920

WX-78 recognizes that the AAC device circuit board is missing a DR356X001 (yes, it’s made up, I checked.) He also recognizes the license plate and... Everything. I’m going to assume that circuit boards weren’t secretly invented earlier in DS canon and therefore WX-78 exists in a post circuit board world. WX-78: 1936?-1939

Wickerbottom doesn’t recognize the license plate, so she must’ve entered pre-1918, but knows what a spaceship is. Wickerbottom: 1902-1918

Woodie recognizes the hair dryer, so he entered after 1920. He doesn’t know what a circuit board is, so he’s before 1936. Woodie: 1920-1936

Wes’ quotes don’t shine much light on his past. Wes: ???-1940

We know Maxwell entered during the San Francisco earthquake, so we can use him as a check for these ideas. He doen’t recognize any of the things he shouldn’t... With one exception: He recognizes the AAC device had words on it, so it must’ve had words on its reverse side.

Wigfrid pretends not to know what any of the devices are, but she’s also playing a character who wouldn’t have know, so knowing what any of those are would be a break in character. She’s not perfect, though, she wonders if the rocketship could take her to Asgard. Vikings did not know what rocketships were, so this is actual Wigfrid knowledge. It’s not much, but it’s more then I expected to find, anyways. Wigfrid: 1902-1940

Despite my expectation that Webber would be an early arrival, he recognizes the license plate. He doesn’t know what a hair dryer is, though. He knows (correctly) the AAC device had words on it, this is also why I think the AAC device has words on the other side. Webber: 1918-1920, Right around the Voxola fire...

Winona references various 1940s things. Winona: 1400-???

Aaand lets have some fun and do Warbucks, because apparently he has a story. Without Hallowed Nights lines I’m a little short for info, but he doesn’t recognize the license plate, so he’s pre-1918. Which means Hamlet also exists before 1918. Take note.

On 12/2/2018 at 1:42 PM, ResettePlayer said:

- Maxwell gives Wagstaff "forbidden knowledge" similar to what Wilson received. Dark magic and all that.

On 12/2/2018 at 1:42 PM, ResettePlayer said:

- Wagstaff could have been an old man at this time, perhaps he tried to transfer his own soul into a robotic body that wouldn't age and die.

- It is clear that WX-78 is not Wagstaff. They just ain't. So, if this theory is to hold any weight, Wagstaff's soul would be a mere driving/motivational source. A blank slate of a mind with no memories of its previous life, even changing its shape to suit its body more.

Alternative-

WX-78 was a trap. Maxwell could not afford Wagstaff to be going on sharing this forbidden knowledge with everybody in town. He suggests the idea of immortality through the form of robotizing him, which he accepts.

Wagstaff becomes WX, cue the maniacal laughter and the shadow hands, and suddenly he's in the constant.

And plus, being a magician, he'd totally be able to do some soul sorcery stuff. The question is, what would be the motive? I'll think about it later

EDIT:

7 minutes ago, PixelPizza said:

what would be the motive? I'll think about it later

Apparently one minute is "later" for me.

In "Forbidden Knowledge" while Wilson is constructing the portal, you can see him wrapping 2 rats together (unifying their souls? 2 rat souls = the power of 1 human soul?) and cutting himself, bleeding into a glass (more blood needed to power the portal?). Wilson wouldn't believe Maxwell if he said "put your soul into this doohickey k thx bye", so the rats and blood were used as a substitute. However, in the context of immortality and robotizing yourself, it makes a little more sense.

On 12/2/2018 at 11:29 AM, Tapirus said:

"AT LEAST THERE'S STILL A BIT OF EVIL IN HIM" (Firestarter Maxwell)

"IS LAYING WASTE TO THE WORLD. HAHA" (Firestarter Wigfrid)

"THE INFERIOR NEEDS A HEART" (WX-78 ghost)

"SUPERNATURAL AID IS NOTHING IN THE FACE OF KILLER ROBOT!" (When murders Wendy)

"OOPS" (Death&Killed Pig)

whats the "firestarter" thing about?

i didn't know they had lines for killing one another or am a wrong?

On 12/2/2018 at 10:54 AM, Mooagain said:

Webber uses the pronoun 'I' when he examines the divining rod. This is probably the spider talking, so that human Webber doesn't tell us about his past. Webber is proven to speak as only the spider or only the human, seeing as ha says "Blue is my favorite color" and "Red is my favorite color."

would like to add to this, Empty Elixir - "I kinda wanna drink what's left, but he won't let me."
from what I understand webber and the spider can both control the body, but this is where I start to get confused because now I want to know what quotes have who talking

another thing, this confirms that webber lived on a farm, in hamlet he says something a long the lines of "reminds me of home" when you examine a farm house

also a few things to be noted
Football Helmet- "We could be good at football, much better than I was!"
Cork Bat - "Coach said we're not allowed to cork a bat."

confirms he tried to play football, and he played baseball

11 hours ago, Smitty Inc. said:

another thing, this confirms that webber lived on a farm, in hamlet he says something a long the lines of "reminds me of home" when you examine a farm house

What if Wagstaff lived on a farm, but dreamed of beeing an inventor, and then when Maxwell came, he made Wagstff rich? This could explain how Webber seems to speak of his father as a scientist (alchemy engine) and also speaks of his father as a farmer (volt goats/farm house)

What if Wagstaff and Webber don't have any relation actually? I still having doubts about them being relatives.

It's not hard: 

-Webber is just a farmer boy who listens to wonderful things when his parents move to the city (for work in Voxola Factory maybe) and he start wishing stuff ("Robots in the future? Sounds great! I want be a robot too!").

4 minutes ago, Tapirus said:

What if Wagstaff and Webber don't have any relation actually? I still having doubts about them being relatives.

It's not hard: 

-Webber is just a farmer boy who listens to wonderful things when his parents move to the city (for work in Voxola Factory maybe) and he start wishing stuff ("Robots in the future? Sounds great! I want be a robot too!").

I doubt that Klei would have put that stiff about webber being from 1919 just so it could be a coincidence.

38 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

I doubt that Klei would have put that stiff about webber being from 1919 just so it could be a coincidence.

The time of Don't Staver universe is more or less during the second Industrial Revolution. Also, a lot of people was trying to invent stuff in that time AROUND THE WORLD or moving to the city for a new style of life.

29 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

This could explain how Webber seems to speak of his father as a scientist (alchemy engine)

Webber could also be confusing it with a milking machine, as he says Alchemy Engine- "Father used to work on something like that."

I think Wagstaff could have been webber's grandpa if anything

10 minutes ago, Smitty Inc. said:

Webber could also be confusing it with a milking machine, as he says Alchemy Engine- "Father used to work on something like that."

Yes, the first milking machines were made in the 19th century (the fully developed and commercialized models to the world in 20th century).

I was just going through the character quotes and I noticed something. WX says "HE IS AN UNKNOWN" when examining Maxwell. WX never saw/has no memory of Maxwell. This could mean that WX was not tricked by Maxwell like everyone else was, and was brought into the don't starve world by someone else. This reinforces my theory of Wagstaff bringing WX with him.

34 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

I was just going through the character quotes and I noticed something. WX says "HE IS AN UNKNOWN" when examining Maxwell. WX never saw/has no memory of Maxwell. This could mean that WX was not tricked by Maxwell like everyone else was, and was brought into the don't starve world by someone else. This reinforces my theory of Wagstaff bringing WX with him.

Maybe WX was created in the constant? He uses gears that are found in the constant his color scheme is similar to the clockworks and calls the science machine "mother". I thought the bit with the science machine  was just a joke but maybe he was built with a science machine?

That's a really well-researched post, 2C3D, but..I dunno, I always got the impression that everybody entered in "around the early '20s" (as said by the devs) or earlier.  I mean, you can't really take references that the characters say in their quotes TOO seriously--Wilson paraphrases M.C. Hammer ("Stop.  It is time.  To hammer things!" when examining a hammer) and Webber apparently knows some David Bowie ("Funk to funky" when looking at ashes), for example.

The earlier ones would mainly be Maxwell (Charlie), Wolfgang and Wes, all in probably the 1900's.  Maxwell and Charlie get there first, in 1906, then when Maxwell takes the throne the first ones he pulls in are his former circus-mates, Wes and Wolfgang, because he already knew them.  (And maybe they didn't get along?  Maybe he pulled in his former co-workers because he HATED them!  : P)  

I don't really see anybody else as coming from any later than, say, 1922-23, because...I dunno, I always thought the whole game was mostly themed '20s style.  Aside from Maxwell's ragtime music, which is 1900's...but we've explained that.  He got to the Constant during the big San Francico earthquake in 1906. 

Winona probably looks like Rosie the Riveter because THAT'S the _recognisable_ look of a female factory worker.  In reality she'd look more like a World War ONE factory worker...and yes, those existed.  (I immediately think of Ruby from "Upstairs, Downstairs" here, because I'm a dork.  When WWI came around and everyone in the household was trying to figure out what to do to help the war effort, the meek little scullery maid decided to work in the local munitions factory!)

She might have also lived/worked in Canada for a while, as one of the letters in that one puzzle mentions "Charlie's sister in B.C." and therefore might possibly have met, maybe even worked at the same logging company? Woodie.   This has nothing to do with years, but it is backstory.  Maybe.

Not sure about Maxwell being Wagstaff; did he have TIME to have _two_ alternate identities in roughly the same few years? 'Cos we already know his real name.  He's William Carter.  And very likely Wendy and Abigail's uncle.

WX...hoo boy, where do I start here.  I dunno if I think of him as alive or used-to-be-alive in any way.  Have never liked the theory of him BEING Wagstaff in disguise or basically any form of "real person in just a robot suit".  Not sure if he's _really_ evil or just likes to play that he is.  Not sure if clockwork.  Definitely not nightmare fuel for a "soul"; he was made on Earth. 

He goes around doing all the "KILL THE HUMANS" quotes because robot cliche? and it's possible he doesn't really _hate_ all humans; he just likes mechanical beings better and cheers them on while just not..._caring_ what happens to those stupid squishy meatbags.  So basically I guess I'm saying he's not DELIBERATELY evil; just dyed-in-the-wool racist.  (That means "from the beginning" or "made that way" or "born that way", for our foreign readers.)

In conclusion I...think WX is a robot and always was, who was made by a DIFFERENT character who might be _connected_ to some of our survivors through the whole Voxola factory thing, but isn't actually one OF them, and that WX was made on Earth where nightmare fuel is not readily available.  Maxwell probably knew Wagstaff through the Voxola/knowing about the radios connection, and from there saw his pet project, WX-78, which Maxwell was then able to tempt into the Constant.  Somehow.  Probably by showing WX a picture of the clockwork things and going "Look, your kind are the only things that live here!  There are no stupid humans to order you around!" or something.

...Notorious

1 hour ago, slendyproject said:

Maybe WX was created in the constant? He uses gears that are found in the constant his color scheme is similar to the clockworks and calls the science machine "mother". I thought the bit with the science machine  was just a joke but maybe he was built with a science machine?

Yes, it's very possible he was made in the Constant. He's a clockwork automaton and his components are compatible with the others (that's why he can get upgrades).

Or maybe they're just general all-purpose gears, nothing special?  And I thought the science machine quote was him looking at the nearest other robot-like thing and just guessing it MIGHT be his mother?

I dunno, I just want everybody to have been slurped in from Earth, all of them, every single one, and NONE of them to have been made (or born) IN the Constant. Because...well I never got that impression from ANYthing _actually in the game_ (or said by the devs) before EVER, is why.  They're all from Earth circa 1906-1922, and shut up that's why.  : P

WX is different but I don't think he's ***DIFFERENT***!! (sparkles, harp notes and flowers)  Not enough to have this whole other special origin that nobody else has.  Also yes he has a skeleton, but this is a game where characters apparently have bones in their _hair_ (and clothing!) so...

(also also, everybody including me calls WX "he" for convenience purposes, but whenever another character examines a dead WX, they call the robot an IT.  So...yeah technically WX has no gender.)

...Notorious

15 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I dunno, I just want everybody to have been slurped in from Earth, all of them, every single one, and NONE of them to have been made (or born) IN the Constant. 

WX-78 could be an exception, and Don't Starve has exceptions (example: not having all the characters with a W name) that makes a great addition to the game.

17 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

They're all from Earth circa 1906-1922, and shut up that's why.  : P

Others and me prefers gives our opinions about the game's background, seeking for discovering some new stuff about the lore and enjoy a real constructive discussion. There's nothing wrong with that.

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

(also also, everybody including me calls WX "he" for convenience purposes, but whenever another character examines a dead WX, they call the robot an IT.  So...yeah technically WX has no gender.)

Yes, WX seems to be genderless, but the game mostly refers to them with singular they pronouns. As far as I know, character's examination quotes for other characters' dead bodies are dependent on the speaker, not the corpse. Most don't use pronouns, those that do have separate quotes for each of the game's genders: male (he), female (she), and robot (they). I am aware of one particular instance in which WX is referred to with it pronouns: Willow's quote for when they are a murderer ("Killer robot! Burn it!").

I'll throw in a little backstory theory thing for Wilson... in the Gorge, he says the Street Lamps remind him of home. Confirmation he's from England? I think the devs did confirm he's "European USA immigrant" at least, and the overall design of the Gorge is Victorian England, so yeah. He doesn't really talk about his past as much as other characters, which is interesting considering he's the main character. Like Webber's told us about many of his family members, Wickerbottom's cat and garden and book cart, Wolfgang in the army, etc.

9 hours ago, Tapirus said:

Others and me prefers gives our opinions about the game's background, seeking for discovering some new stuff about the lore and enjoy a real constructive discussion. There's nothing wrong with that.

Actually, the years that each character entered the don't starve world have been found, and they are all in the range of 1906-1922. Read the first post on this thread.

2 hours ago, Mooagain said:

Actually, the years that each character entered the don't starve world have been found, and they are all in the range of 1906-1922. Read the first post on this thread.

Yes, but I'm talking about the "shut up that's why" stuff.

Archived