Septic System V3 (10kg/s 26C water and 400g/s dirt)

3 hours ago, fishoutofwater said:

same problem too, I change the sensor to clock, maybe germ sensor is bugged.

It is. Thats why i had such problens in other thread to clean germy water. One way to fix it is to split it by two sensors so in pipe it will he empty space- water -empty space - i got it working correctly that way. ( you double sensors and shutoff - also works. After sensors you can merge pipe again. 

@Arcus2611 @Gaons @fishoutofwater @ONIfreak

At least one packet of germ free PW needs to pass though the germ sensors to prevent this problem 

Usually I have a mix of water and PW (no germs) for a water lock when making the chlorine room, then pump it though the system when I deconstruct the lock (clean water can pass though a sieve no problem)

After that the germ sensor should work fine when germy PW passes though

8 hours ago, Arcus2611 said:

Another issue is that that the buffer gets reset every time a dupe uses the toilet for whatever reason, which can lead to the same problem of the reservoir never getting to output.

Always make sure there is a work period where no dupes takes a break each cycle to prevent that

On 11/6/2018 at 8:14 PM, Neotuck said:

Two months ago I made a post about using resevoirs in chlorine to kill germs in water, I called it the "Septic System"

Note the V3 is meant for maps with infected polluted water geysers.  Scrool down to the bottom of the post to see a "simple septic system" design meant for disinfecting PW from bathrooms

Since them I have updated it to run more smoothly and use less power

Thanks to @suicide commando for giving me a tip about disabling reservoirs by opening horizontal doors underneath I was able to simplify, improve, and compact my design

The end result is germ free 10kg/s 26C water and 400g/s dirt

1.thumb.jpg.ad855430b8b8f829be82a07fcc555c5f.jpg2.thumb.jpg.327e3db947dde9b0f22f094f12487e51.jpg

First germy polluted water is pumped to two water sieves that can filter PW into water at 5kg/s each

Sweepers keep the sieves loaded with regolith and move any polluted dirt to compost piles

germy water then flows into one of the 3 reservoirs

3.thumb.png.833863e3c4939f57c0506e5a9f4a4e47.png

The reservoirs are automated by a timer circuit that rotates between the tanks every 200s

This way at any given time:

one tank is being filled with germy water

one tank is idle while the germs die

one tank empties the sterilized water

Also I have a safety valve to catch any germs that survive and loop them back to the tanks

4.thumb.png.3fa0a2f705a1dfe32a952ff4fda8d1f9.png

---------------------------- Simple Septic System-------------------------

For those who don't have infected polluted water geysers then you only need this simple setup for disinfecting germy PW from your bathrooms

20181106201331_1.thumb.jpg.72fba10a08247ec05c1c279eb57e4127.jpg

All you need is a germ sensor to open the door when germs pass though

The buffer gate keeps the door open for 140s ensuring all germs are dead before the tank empties

5be23b6e4c7b7_simple3b.thumb.png.1b49739ee6c67ddee95281fb8c8108c3.png5be23b7204841_simple3c.thumb.png.1f7bb29ebf412191a72d428461468d3c.png5be23b7584ea5_simple3d.thumb.png.6ea9e79dedbc5bd686ae022f79696323.png

Edit: nvm other ppl got there before me.

It's not really the topic here but a big enough amount of oxygen or water will depollute itself over time naturally (if anybody didn't know that).

So, myself, never did a single game with any depollution whatsoever and never had any ill dupes after exosuits. I just build BADASS HUGE TANKS of water. Tanks get filled up on the top with germy water, water is used for whatever pumped at bottom, height of the reservoir and volume inside is enough that water naturally depollutes itself before going to the pumps.

It's the same for easy depollution of a green biome: dig it, build floor 2 tiles above what you dug (so all slime and stuff doesn't get in the area you wanna depollute, gravity sweeping 101), toss the little oxygen cleaner thingies and voilà! Just wait till it's blue, close it, wait some cycles ( something like 20-30 cycles I'd say for an area as big as the starting biome), and you got a room full or germ-free oxygen. 

Polluted water? Doesn't get in contact with dupes not wearing exosuits obviously so no problem.

Also this tank is exclusively filled with aquatuner's water at around 10-15°C and is at the center of my base, so never had any issues of temperature as such a huge tank of water will almost never change temperature. Throw in radiant oxygen pipes from oxydizers and problems are solved (like the water is going to heat up from 500g/s oxygen lol). But that's not the subject at all anymore XD.

2 hours ago, Kaabaal said:

It's not really the topic here but a big enough amount of oxygen or water will depollute itself over time naturally (if anybody didn't know that).

So, myself, never did a single game with any depollution whatsoever and never had any ill dupes after exosuits. I just build BADASS HUGE TANKS of water. Tanks get filled up on the top with germy water, water is used for whatever pumped at bottom, height of the reservoir and volume inside is enough that water naturally depollutes itself before going to the pumps.

It's the same for easy depollution of a green biome: dig it, build floor 2 tiles above what you dug (so all slime and stuff doesn't get in the area you wanna depollute, gravity sweeping 101), toss the little oxygen cleaner thingies and voilà! Just wait till it's blue, close it, wait some cycles ( something like 20-30 cycles I'd say for an area as big as the starting biome), and you got a room full or germ-free oxygen. 

Polluted water? Doesn't get in contact with dupes not wearing exosuits obviously so no problem.

Also this tank is exclusively filled with aquatuner's water at around 10-15°C and is at the center of my base, so never had any issues of temperature as such a huge tank of water will almost never change temperature. Throw in radiant oxygen pipes from oxydizers and problems are solved (like the water is going to heat up from 500g/s oxygen lol). But that's not the subject at all anymore XD.

While it's true germs die off in clean water or air, the rate is too slow to make it worth while to industrialize at a large scale (impossible to achieve 10kg/s like the OP)

as for the rest of your claim may I ask what difficulty you use?  With normal to easy immune system settings germs are rarely a problem so most players ignore the issue

However if you play at the highest difficulty even small outbreaks of germs can be disastrous for your whole colony

Survival ^^.

I never used debug mode and go for no sweat sometimes when updates happen, to see how it really works ingame. I get that I didn't explained myself properly, to expand the base I mean you dig from OUTSIDE with exosuits while not communicate with your base, and then when oxygen germ-free is here, break it from inside the base. 

Also no, you're wrong, the rate is not too slow at all if like I wrote, the tank is big enough and obviously with a correct shape. 10kg/s is nothing when you want to empty a 200+ tiles reservoir (like, do I really need to write that?). I'd do a simulation to prove it but the slap of "hello on the forum lemme explain how germ works" didn't go so well :p.

The decline factor for slimelung is -29% in water, while again -29% because the water is cold (it's sieved water obviously hence the germs). I mean you wanna do maths for fun? 200+ tiles reservoir with this decline factor and it won't be germ free at the bottom?

Cmon. Cmon now. -_-'

I do it like this, it works, you don't believe it, you don't want to try it, well idc :p. Maybe someone will though and see it works if big enough.

Sorry for the OP though ;)

5 hours ago, Kaabaal said:

Survival ^^.

I never used debug mode and go for no sweat sometimes when updates happen, to see how it really works ingame. I get that I didn't explained myself properly, to expand the base I mean you dig from OUTSIDE with exosuits while not communicate with your base, and then when oxygen germ-free is here, break it from inside the base. 

Also no, you're wrong, the rate is not too slow at all if like I wrote, the tank is big enough and obviously with a correct shape. 10kg/s is nothing when you want to empty a 200+ tiles reservoir (like, do I really need to write that?). I'd do a simulation to prove it but the slap of "hello on the forum lemme explain how germ works" didn't go so well :p.

The decline factor for slimelung is -29% in water, while again -29% because the water is cold (it's sieved water obviously hence the germs). I mean you wanna do maths for fun? 200+ tiles reservoir with this decline factor and it won't be germ free at the bottom?

Cmon. Cmon now. -_-'

I do it like this, it works, you don't believe it, you don't want to try it, well idc :p. Maybe someone will though and see it works if big enough.

Sorry for the OP though ;)

Your new to the forums so I'll give you some advise, be polite and you'll get better responses

Do not make assumptions about my own play style just because you missed my point

you even dodged my question with your response

You already attacked me in the other topic over misreading your post and I apologized for my mistake yet here you are doing the same mistake

5 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

I find it odd that then clorine interacts with the contents of the reservoirs. I guess that surrounded by chlorine is universal.

I think it's odd too, makes me wonder why it doesn't work in pipes surrounded by chlorine.  The physics in ONI are very inconsistent

5 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I think it's odd too, makes me wonder why it doesn't work in pipes surrounded by chlorine.  The physics in ONI are very inconsistent

I know right, I had some intermittent killage going on with my germs going through tanks that just happened to have a spare mixture of chlorine  and co2 around them. It didn't take much to nuke all of them very quickly like this. Apparently it doesn't take much chlorine either, just needs to surround it.

It's a very effective setup you have I'm sure.

1 minute ago, The Plum Gate said:

I know right, I had some intermittent killage going on with my germs going through tanks that just happened to have a spare mixture of chlorine  and co2 around them. It didn't take much to nuke all of them very quickly like this. Apparently it doesn't take much chlorine either, just needs to surround it.

only reason I go over 1.8kg is so the Pdirt doesn't off-gas

but yes the rate of germs killed doesn't change even if you have only 1mcg chlorine

Just now, Neotuck said:

only reason I go over 1.8kg is so the Pdirt doesn't off-gas

but yes the rate of germs killed doesn't change even if you have only 1mcg chlorine

I forgot about it being a multi use area - there's a lot to digest in this thread. I was just reading back and saw that.

I used your trick (well, the two tank version) in my last playthrough to de-germify polluted oxygen, except with gas reservoirs of course.  Now that I've done it, I'm not sure it's useful  ... I was hoping to fill exosuits with the "clean" polluted oxygen (eye roll) but it breaks the exosuit dock.  Putting the clean PO2 back in my base is asking for a germ outbreak if a single slimelung particle makes it inside.  So does anyone bother with this?

5 minutes ago, Sigma Cypher said:

I used your trick (well, the two tank version) in my last playthrough to de-germify polluted oxygen, except with gas reservoirs of course.  Now that I've done it, I'm not sure it's useful  ... I was hoping to fill exosuits with the "clean" polluted oxygen (eye roll) but it breaks the exosuit dock.  Putting the clean PO2 back in my base is asking for a germ outbreak if a single slimelung particle makes it inside.  So does anyone bother with this?

that's wrong element damage

exosuits need O2 not PO2

on the plus side you can fill exosuits with as much slime lung as you want and the dupes wearing them never get sick

23 minutes ago, Sigma Cypher said:

Actually, I do this with polluted oxygen geysers and cooling systems - i just use the air filters at the vent outlets and meter the pipes accordingly. Cooling the Polluted 02 isn't as big an issue as it seems - this will kill off the germs as well as using the tank method.

Air filters use eat up 100g/s of PO2, so i use valves to cinch the pipes down to 90g/s and they keep up with outlet gasses very well. Also cools the base...slightly.

16 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

Isn't there some sort of averaging going on when new is added to the Reservoir and taken out?  So if there are lots of germs in the small amount of water flowing in, both of those values are averaged against the large amount of water with smaller relative number of germs.  This added to any kind of chlorine exposure would decimate a low flow rate scenario pretty quickly.

Is there a full moon or something? Yesterday I had a harsh argument on Steam forum and now I see a one ongoing here. I can't decide if I should get a popcorn or rather watch sky carefully for that chemtrails spreading all the toxicity ;)

Back on topic, here's my latest build based on Neotuck's design.  I've tried to make it as compact and simple as possible.  It's been working for 1000+ cycles with 0 germs getting through.  There's a little bit of spagetti on the inlet, as it's setup to prioritize recirculating pwater, then water from the pwater vent and finally a tertiary line coming from a second pwater vent.  All 3 filters are set to 200s.

Spoiler

20190130131419_1.thumb.jpg.cb657be8c1dcffaea6a175fcdb5c3951.jpg20190130131423_1.thumb.jpg.53b9725e7ee2821003092b13e38774db.jpg20190130131434_1.thumb.jpg.b2733b56bf4aab12a67733640dd87859.jpg

On 28.12.2018 at 7:38 PM, Neotuck said:

@Arcus2611 @Gaons @fishoutofwater @ONIfreak

At least one packet of germ free PW needs to pass though the germ sensors to prevent this problem 

Usually I have a mix of water and PW (no germs) for a water lock when making the chlorine room, then pump it though the system when I deconstruct the lock (clean water can pass though a sieve no problem)

Another solution to avoid the annoying behaviour would be to just reroute the  disinfected water through the very same sensor and thus have it unblocked as soon as the water is free of any germs. It also saves 50% plastic ;)

5cc7dbe4815af_PLANSepticSystem.thumb.png.b1d55c8eab4053d8536ef5ed98d99687.png

10 hours ago, habuky said:

Another solution to avoid the annoying behaviour would be to just reroute the  disinfected water through the very same sensor and thus have it unblocked as soon as the water is free of any germs. It also saves 50% plastic ;)

I have tried this method before with allowing germy PW to cycle in and out of a reservoir but this added a lot of time needed for disinfecting.  Not a problem if you don't have many dupes but late game with multiple schedules of sharing the bathroom can cause issues

While 50% less plastic is tempting given how hard it is to acquire early game, it's getting the plastic that's the problem, not the quantity.  Remember a single glossy drecko can supply 4 germ sensors with a single shearing

14 hours ago, Neotuck said:

I have tried this method before with allowing germy PW to cycle in and out of a reservoir but this added a lot of time needed for disinfecting.  Not a problem if you don't have many dupes but late game with multiple schedules of sharing the bathroom can cause issues

True. I use a 25sec buffer to prevent permanent cycling. But for now, with 12 dupes all going to toilet at the same time, I didn't had any problems yet.

My problem was to reset the germ sensor each cycle, it just stayed active all the time. I had to send in non-germy water to reset it each cycle which was not useful. How does your setup work ?

32 minutes ago, habuky said:

My problem was to reset the germ sensor each cycle, it just stayed active all the time. I had to send in non-germy water to reset it each cycle which was not useful. How does your setup work ?

I have showers included in the loop which will reset the sensors

12.thumb.png.364a4e7c77c8864a08309927145ec372.png11.thumb.png.46635ba6e3ec443c3d98eae1e1deb51a.png

Archived