Too "scared" to continue playing?

I get that you want this game to be different and you can argue all day as to why you think it should be, but the very things you don't like are what defines the genre itself. It's like saying I love horror movies, but I wish they weren't scary. Your arguments are just fundamentally wrong. There are other games that let you do the same things without the risk of death, Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, the Sims. Probably more than that, but that's all I know of atm. It's extremely egotistical to demand a game change to suit you when those changes make it a game that others will no longer want to play. We paid for the game we got, you want something else, next time buy what you want, not what you wish it to be.Or maybe you didn't even buy it? I'm extremely curious how many of these casual players who hate the hardcore nature of the game were gifted the bonus copy.

Edited by Avarice

• Developer

Winter is coming (ha!) next week, and is the last big difficulty-affecting feature before launch. I'm still tuning it, but from what I can tell so far it is something that you're going to have to plan for, or you will die:a) Vegetation shuts down. You can pick stuff that's already grown, but no new growth happens.b) You can freeze to death. You can wear warm clothes to slow the process, but you're going to have to warm up at fires periodically. Of course, this means that you aren't wearing armour or dapper stuff...c) There are two very tough monsters that are released. One is pretty much invincible, and you really just have to run away from it. This kicks in for the first time at day 25 or so (still adjusting that). It adds an element of time pressure that wasn't in the game before, and (I hope) will change the way the game is played. You can turn it off (or make it come more often) with the world configurator, but it is a major looming threat in the default world, and it will be used a lot in the story mode.Once that's in, we can talk about overall balance. Until that happens, we're trying to put together a puzzle with missing pieces :)

Well your a wuss,sorryIf your just on day 26 you don't even have that much to lose.I mean if you really took a break for 3-5 patches then you have plenty-o-stuff you can do and some of it you need to be atleast day 50 in.So really just keep playing and not fear dying.Another thing is that(like i mentioned above)if you really have that old of a map dying is in your favour,counting a new world would generate new things.I challenge myself putting goal's of how many day's to survive(now i'm going for a year,died at day 200+ before),how many fridges i keen keep full with food,have a smallbird army etc,etc

Edited by MisterLock

Winter is coming (ha!) next week, and is the last big difficulty-affecting feature before launch. I'm still tuning it, but from what I can tell so far it is something that you're going to have to plan for, or you will die:

a) Vegetation shuts down. You can pick stuff that's already grown, but no new growth happens.

b) You can freeze to death. You can wear warm clothes to slow the process, but you're going to have to warm up at fires periodically. Of course, this means that you aren't wearing armour or dapper stuff...

c) There are two very tough monsters that are released. One is pretty much invincible, and you really just have to run away from it.

This kicks in for the first time at day 25 or so (still adjusting that). It adds an element of time pressure that wasn't in the game before, and (I hope) will change the way the game is played. You can turn it off (or make it come more often) with the world configurator, but it is a major looming threat in the default world, and it will be used a lot in the story mode.

Once that's in, we can talk about overall balance. Until that happens, we're trying to put together a puzzle with missing pieces :)

There is like 1000 grass and saplings in the world, and around 500 berry bushes. If the stay ready to harvest whole winter it will be impossible to run out of them. Will just roam the map using campfires, to gather them.

I get that you want this game to be different and you can argue all day as to why you think it should be, but the very things you don't like are what defines the genre itself. It's like saying I love horror movies, but I wish they weren't scary. Your arguments are just fundamentally wrong. There are other games that let you do the same things without the risk of death, Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, the Sims. Probably more than that, but that's all I know of atm. It's extremely egotistical to demand a game change to suit you when those changes make it a game that others will no longer want to play. We paid for the game we got, you want something else, next time buy what you want, not what you wish it to be.Or maybe you didn't even buy it? I'm extremely curious how many of these casual players who hate the hardcore nature of the game were gifted the bonus copy.

I don't think any of you understand. I ALREADY SAVE AND RESTORE GAMES ON THE FLY. I don't give a crap about it survival genre. I have made it action adventure and I never die unless I want to. That being said YOU CAN MAKE THE GAME BOTH WAYS. It is just you guys who are unwilling to make some load screens. That is it. It would be more accessible to other groups of people who like to progress in a game instead of gambling it all. I want to see Keli and this game succeed just as much as you do. I just don't think it has to be closed into a box to do so. So don't try and be all elitist and talk about the survival genre. Who cares. I like to play because I like the game and my point is just as valid as yours.

c) There are two very tough monsters that are released. One is pretty much invincible, and you really just have to run away from it.

Pig king being affected by the second full moon by any chance?

[MENTION=10549]InsaneBen[/MENTION] After the release of this:

Posted Image

You can play both safe and reckless.

If you got attached to one world you can start another and improve yourself before returning to your main.

Edited by Avelarius

i do, i play for a while, and then i have a killer urge to stop playing until im mentally ready to continue, i save the game and quit, feeling safe to do something else because i haven't died in the game yet, until i get another killer urge to play the game :lol:

Winter is coming (ha!) next week, and is the last big difficulty-affecting feature before launch. I'm still tuning it, but from what I can tell so far it is something that you're going to have to plan for, or you will die:a) Vegetation shuts down. You can pick stuff that's already grown, but no new growth happens.b) You can freeze to death. You can wear warm clothes to slow the process, but you're going to have to warm up at fires periodically. Of course, this means that you aren't wearing armour or dapper stuff...c) There are two very tough monsters that are released. One is pretty much invincible, and you really just have to run away from it. This kicks in for the first time at day 25 or so (still adjusting that). It adds an element of time pressure that wasn't in the game before, and (I hope) will change the way the game is played. You can turn it off (or make it come more often) with the world configurator, but it is a major looming threat in the default world, and it will be used a lot in the story mode.Once that's in, we can talk about overall balance. Until that happens, we're trying to put together a puzzle with missing pieces :)

OMG I hope people understand the reason to winter be severe and don't ask for too much nerf, this is perfect!!!!!!Thanks, [MENTION=8]Kevin[/MENTION]!

Winter is coming (ha!) next week, and is the last big difficulty-affecting feature before launch. I'm still tuning it, but from what I can tell so far it is something that you're going to have to plan for, or you will die:a) Vegetation shuts down. You can pick stuff that's already grown, but no new growth happens.b) You can freeze to death. You can wear warm clothes to slow the process, but you're going to have to warm up at fires periodically. Of course, this means that you aren't wearing armour or dapper stuff...c) There are two very tough monsters that are released. One is pretty much invincible, and you really just have to run away from it. This kicks in for the first time at day 25 or so (still adjusting that). It adds an element of time pressure that wasn't in the game before, and (I hope) will change the way the game is played. You can turn it off (or make it come more often) with the world configurator, but it is a major looming threat in the default world, and it will be used a lot in the story mode.

I have a few questions:How long will it last?Will the breezy vest and the winter hat be warn winter items?Will those "hard" monsters be easily kite-able like other "hard" monsters such as the tree guard and spider queen.

Sounds great. My only request would be that food spoilage essentially stops because, you know, they're frozen :). Flip side of this, you may need to cook your food in a fire in order to eat it then.

I feel like Mr. Burns..

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUOB8MN4Kc

Winter is coming (ha!) next week, and is the last big difficulty-affecting feature before launch. I'm still tuning it, but from what I can tell so far it is something that you're going to have to plan for, or you will die:

a) Vegetation shuts down. You can pick stuff that's already grown, but no new growth happens.

b) You can freeze to death. You can wear warm clothes to slow the process, but you're going to have to warm up at fires periodically. Of course, this means that you aren't wearing armour or dapper stuff...

This kicks in for the first time at day 25 or so (still adjusting that). It adds an element of time pressure that wasn't in the game before, and (I hope) will change the way the game is played. You can turn it off (or make it come more often) with the world configurator, but it is a major looming threat in the default world, and it will be used a lot in the story mode.

Once that's in, we can talk about overall balance. Until that happens, we're trying to put together a puzzle with missing pieces :)

Knowing my luck it'll spawn near my base and I will do the panick mambo <o>0<o>

that all sunds most delicious though. CANNOT WAIT.

Aren't you scared the monster will mess your nearly organized base up?

I'm scared. If that monster destroys your structures, there will be more QQ than about Krampus, that will lead to a killer hot fix on said monster and you will never see it again.

I'm scared. If that monster destroys your structures, there will be more QQ than about Krampus, that will lead to a killer hot fix on said monster and you will never see it again.

I would want it to be some kind of assassin, letting your structures be structures...