Refined Metal and Plastic rush

Since Refined Metal and Plastic are two of the most important materials to unlock advanced techs, what is the faster cycle you can get it?

I always try to rush plastic/metal using Ranching, but getting Glosy Dreckos is too hard. 

And getting Metal Refinary its also hard for me, dupes get stressed pretty hard for all the heat and contamination.

44 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I've had refined metal by cycle 15.  If I have a leaky oil fisure near my base (this time I do), then I can make plastics by cycle 20. 

You found the refined metal in a generated ruin structure, didn't you? I suppose that counts, but it usually isn't much.

You must have sacrificed literally everything to get plastic that fast, and I don't really see what you would need it for at cycle 20. The more advanced structures and tiles aren't really needed until much later, and ranching and tiles/beds are the only high demand for plastic.

Just now, crypticorb said:

You found the refined metal in a generated ruin structure, didn't you? I suppose that counts, but it usually isn't much.

No.  You can build a rock granulator by cycle 4 or 5 if you have one dupe with Learning at 5.

I will give you, though,  that plastics that fast was rather.. pointless. I mostly did it to build a high-pressure vent, but it turned out to be a wasted idea that early in the game.

I take it slow. Early on you can set up your base without refined metal and plastic. Later you need ref metal for automation, mainly smart batteries to conserve power and plastic can be avoided until lategame. Stuff like high pressure vents or petroleum generators use little plastic. A single wild drecko can give you enough over it`s lifetime.

My main way to get plastic is to change my early mealood farm itno a drecko ranch. I plan ahead making it a 96 tile room with enough space to place the ranch stuff. Later i just fill the top part of the room with hydrogen and let the plastic stockpile for like 100 cycles before i actually use a meaningful amount of it.

I try to use as little refined metal as possible before i have a smelter set up. I tried using smooth hatches but it takes too much dupe time IMO. After i get the smelter going i graduatly upgrade the systems. Only upgrading those that need it.

I typically make sure I have a metal volcano and will actively seek it out and use that as my source of refined metal. You can fill the bottom tile of the volcano with polluted water and it'll absorb the heat nicely and boil to clean water over time.

The game is designed to be taken slowly, so there's no need to rush anything. Even the meteors crashing do less damage now, so racing  steel isn't necessary anymore.

5 minutes ago, axxionx12 said:

I typically make sure I have a metal volcano and will actively seek it out and use that as my source of refined metal.

Personally i don`t bother with metal volcanoes. Too much hassle with the heat for my designs. I`d rather use them as heat source than metal source. I can easily get enough refined metal from unrenewable sources and later from meteors.

1 minute ago, Sasza22 said:

Personally i don`t bother with metal volcanoes. Too much hassle with the heat for my designs. I`d rather use them as heat source than metal source. I can easily get enough refined metal from unrenewable sources and later from meteors.

I'd agree with you, but with the exception of gold volcanoes. They put out almost negligible heat, comparing to something like metal refining or steel refining. Copper or iron are good for heat, because the specific heat capacity is so much higher, but gold volcanoes are... well, gold.

16 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I love metal volcanoes.

My ideal seeds have Copper and Gold. This way Copper gold and Iron are all Infinite. 

It becomes much easier to make every floor / wall / and ceiling Gold, for Decor and speed, and every power cable Copper, and save space iron for steel production.

Typically I'll find the volcanoes ASAP, and use polluted water to to absord the heat for a while, but by the time I set up petro/plastic I will have a pool of crude under the Copper volcano cooled by radiant pipes with crude oil before it is turned into Petro destroying all the heat. The gold volcano I usually ignore for a much longer time  (natural polluted water tank) because the heat it outputs is so low.

2 hours ago, Segato said:

getting Glosy Dreckos is too hard.

In fact, it's pretty easy, just give Mealwood to Dreckos and you will have really quickly the blue eggs.

If you want rush (enough steel at cycle 300 to cover your surface) :

- Iron : Smooth hatch + Metal Raffinery.

- Lime : fossils + visit the Pacu pools on the asteroid.

- Refined coal : hatch for the coal.

My early rush consists of two approaches.

First, is a dedicated circuit for the Metal Refinery.  It uses the lavatory loop overflow for coolant.  This is usually Cycle 25-30.

5bce225c78b0d_RefineryandLavLoop.JPG.04a4e5053b9826ede10c1c69d3824e0b.JPG

For the plastic I don't find incredibly early plastic to be that useful until I have strong enough power systems.  I generally rely on using some early mealwood to start flipping the dreckos (Ranchers usually available ~C25)… then building a simple a glossy farm with bristles... which is probably the only reason I ever HAVE bristles. XD  But I get them rolling around C50.  Once they start, you've got plenty for most smaller jobs.

There is a hierarchy of needs you should be meeting before you get serious on metal and plastic. It can take a ton of cycles to get out of food and oxygen scarcity(using dirt and algae are not long term).  Now if you have some nice metal geysers or any geysers you may as well tap them asap. 

In my current base I've set up a polymer press and started a glossy drecko farm right after I finished sealing off my living/farming area with exosuit docks, water locks and insulation and having a steady mushroom farm and electrolyzer setups. Doing both the press and the farm at the same time provides you with fast access to plastic from the press and the slowly progressing drecko farm will cover you with huge production after a while. This was around cycle 100ish but I really wanted to have my living area covered first.

For metal refinement I'am continously running the rock granulator. It is one of the first things I research. Metal refineries come after the plastic production. One each for steel, iron, gold and tungsten. Storage automation helps with a continous production w/o going overboard and the steam turbine is perfect for cooling their petroleum/oil loop.I don't think rushing the refineries is super useful but you definitely want a steady and stable production until cycle 200, preferably for all metal types.

Two other important refinements (apart from lime/carbon for steel) you didn't mention are ceramic and glass. In my current base it really bit me in the ass because I kind of neglected those refinements too long. But I noticed that especially kilns can get automated super conveniently with auto storage and a sweeper. Next time I will definitely put down a couple of kilns even before the plastic production. Note that you want to have a couple of containers with clay and coal near them because else your runners will continuosly carry very small amounts of material to feed them and one or more runners on storage duty, same goes for sand for sieves etc.

I started a new map today, had no intention of rushing for plastic

Yet as I reached the 30s cycles and started to dig beyond my start location I found a wild glossy egg

So constructed a compactor in my hydrogen storage room > had a dupe transport the egg there > deconstructed the compactor

Now I'm waiting for a wild glossy to hatch and it's only cycle 34

Would ranching wild glossies be worth it? I have no reason for plastic now but it could slowly add up for when I do need it

20181022210540_1.thumb.jpg.f413d57b3a09ac76e9cc79904b477bfe.jpg

31 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I started a new map today, had no intention of rushing for plastic

Yet as I reached the 30s cycles and started to dig beyond my start location I found a wild glossy egg

So constructed a compactor in my hydrogen storage room > had a dupe transport the egg there > deconstructed the compactor

Now I'm waiting for a wild glossy to hatch and it's only cycle 34

Would ranching wild glossies be worth it? I have no reason for plastic now but it could slowly add up for when I do need it

20181022210540_1.thumb.jpg.f413d57b3a09ac76e9cc79904b477bfe.jpg

Ranching wild glossy dreckos is worthwhile, if only because it's completely free.

You don't need to feed them anything at all, and they'll still lay glossy eggs most likely (65% chance). You can even incubate the wild eggs to accelerate the amount of wild glossy dreckos you get, as the only thing that tames them is grooming.

You won't get a lot of plastic, but it's something, and takes zero dupe time or resources other than a hydrogen room and a shearing station.

Question: do dreckos jump into a waterlock of that style? I haven't tested it at all, every time I ranched dreckos I created an island.

Just now, crypticorb said:

You won't get a lot of plastic, but it's something, and takes zero dupe time or resources other than a hydrogen room and a shearing station.

I don't have a rancher yet, will I need one for the shearing station?

2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I don't have a rancher yet, will I need one for the shearing station?

You will need a rancher, unfortunately.

The shearing station is a profession specific structure, and needs a grooming station present, even if it's disabled, and a rancher to operate it.

Just had this in my new game as well.  Working great for a few early high pressure vents.  I just trained a dupe as farmer then only flipped over to rancher while they used the shearing station, then switched them back because I couldn't support the moral yet.  The room does not need a grooming station, and even though grooming station is listed as required for a stable, the shearing station alone was enough for the room bonus.

My last game, I don't think I messed with plastic until 300+ cycles and after I had space completely walled off.  While the plastic stuff is nice, I find I can get by just fine without it for awhile and prefer to work on getting geysers capped and setting up solid power/water/O2 systems before worrying about it.

43 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

then switched them back because I couldn't support the moral yet

doesn't work like that

once you promote a dupe to the next tier the moral requirements remain even if you demote them

--------edit--------

I am wrong, as long as the job isn't mastered the moral need isn't permanent 

Archived