What do you think of housing in Don't Starve?

So hamlet introduces quite a significant feature to the game:

70E0BCA168EB3796F5325F5DE0F13B120869908A

...functioning houses with interiors. You can buy the house with a deed, put machines or chests inside, renovate it to have different looks, etc. There are obvious benefits such as being safe from the night, creatures, weather effects, etc, though space is limited.

For a while now we've been used to building camps and such. This DLC appears to have a more "civilized" approach. How do you think this impacts the game? Postive? Negative? Doesn't fit? Cool? Personally I like it, though the mechanics right now are rather clunky.

Don't Starve Pig Crossing: Happy Home Designer 

I would like the ability to add some furnishings like a bed (that can only restory sanity or hp, and maybe both if upgraded further) or a freezer orsome other stuff...unless there is but..you know bigger fridges n stuff. 

25 minutes ago, ShadyPK said:

Don't Starve Pig Crossing: Happy Home Designer 

I would like the ability to add some furnishings like a bed (that can only restory sanity or hp, and maybe both if upgraded further) or a freezer orsome other stuff...unless there is but..you know bigger fridges n stuff. 

You are able to renovate your house and add furniture. It's all cosmetic though from what I can tell.

11 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

So hamlet introduces quite a significant feature to the game:

70E0BCA168EB3796F5325F5DE0F13B120869908A

...functioning houses with interiors. You can buy the house with a deed, put machines or chests inside, renovate it to have different looks, etc. There are obvious benefits such as being safe from the night, creatures, weather effects, etc, though space is limited.

For a while now we've been used to building camps and such. This DLC appears to have a more "civilized" approach. How do you think this impacts the game? Postive? Negative? Doesn't fit? Cool? Personally I like it, though the mechanics right now are rather clunky.

That's awesome! How did you get the deed and house?

30 minutes ago, ooheee said:

When I bought a deed, I got the shanky shack and I wasn't able to place anything inside (no science machine or crockpot), do I have to upgrade it in order to do that?

You gotta make them yourself ofc (the crockpot and sciencemachine)~

I’m not sure I even have enough coins yet to buy a deed and started building a base on the edge of town. This is great though! It’d be cool to be able to add doors like in the caves to build more rooms or a cellar/basement. If there’s painting or decorating, I’d be all over that. 

I’d probably still keep my outside base though, even though those cute animals that follow you around like to get into my chests and throw everything out. 

49 minutes ago, ooheee said:

I know, that's obvious. I made them but I couldn't place them down anywhere in the room.

that's odd.. I can place them just fine.. perhaps you were trying too much to the edge? try a bit to the center..

It's really nice, a safe place (base). I really like it! I just want it to be expanded (like extra room or basement). Also it needs to have some type of danger = if you stay there for a long time something negative to happen.

Housing is weird! I'm so used to having an open-air base, lol. It makes sense though, and I'm really glad they figured out how to do walled rooms.

I do agree that it needs SOME sort of danger. It feels just a little TOO safe. You can escape from weather or put bat invasions on pause to craft items.

49 minutes ago, Naruchii said:

that's odd.. I can place them just fine.. perhaps you were trying too much to the edge? try a bit to the center..

No, I tried everywhere on the floor, I can't place my crockpot or anything ANYWHERE (everywhere I move it around in the room it's still red meaning I can't place it down). Maybe it's a bug idk :/

50 minutes ago, Spirit Glow said:

What do i do with the deed? Nothing happens when i try to use it?

The deed grants you access to the slanty shack that is locked initially, it's basically your home in Hamlet. If you enter it, you can renovate the inside.

Well, cannot say for sure, but it has a lot of potential as a sort of "break from the game":

• A more central place to have important stuff like weapons or tools.
  • More organized bases, specially if you can adapt 1 or 2 more rooms (but more than likely is never going to happen).
  • Safe from the environment like rain and scorching heat while doing minor stuff like crafting, cooking, organizing stuff in fridge and chests.

Archived