Actual state of the game

Hi there! 

I just created this topic to summarize what I think about the state of the game right now.

I don't know about others but I've refrained from playing the game in the current state because of some bugs. You may have heard from them. They are mainly about rockets. 

The first is the loss of skills for the astronaut that come back. I don't want to send a rocket if it is to lose something instead of earn resources... 

The second is the loss of the said astronaut. I've read multiple times that astronauts may disappear sometimes when returning from a mission or exiting the command module...

There is also a lot of crashs that seems to occur when rockets return. There are at least 3 bugs reported for that in the bug tracker. 

So in my opinion, the game as it is currently is not playable after you reach the rockets, and they are the point of the last update! 

Devs doesn't seem to care at all for those bugs that seems to be blocker bugs for me or at least major bugs and I think it's not a good thing for the game to still have those bugs lurking. 

What do you think of it? Are those bugs very isolated? Or should the devs fix them as soon as possible in your opinion to keep the game in a healthy state? 

20 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

What do you think of it? Are those bugs very isolated? Or should the devs fix them as soon as possible in your opinion to keep the game in a healthy state? 

From what i see (i play from the outbreak upgrade) If the schedule for the release is 6 weeks...4 weeks they implement the new changes, and don't fix anything in the previous build, then they release the new content for testing and fix as many bugs they can in 2 weeks. If at the release date are some major bugs, they waste at maximum one week for a quasi stable version (this is the actual RU)...So in essence. The game is playable, and you can build your rockets, but don't launch them yet. :) until the bugs are fixed.

Best regards

Me to but not in this state... instead i concentrate on different goals. Like:

1. reduce the quantity if regolith to 0 by melting it

2. reduce the quantity of other materials in excess by melting it or converting to coal and use it.

3. get rid of the magma in the bottom biom by lifting up in the void area...

4. make void everywhere except to my base.

5. convert all the crude oil to petroleum from the asteroid

6. collect all the creatures of the asteroid in your base. (let them be wild)

7. convert all the slime to algae...so slime 0 on the asteroid

I do not have any of the  mentioned bugs with rockets encountered yet. So it can happen, no doubt, but it wont have to.

And yes the devs care. They really do. Rocketry upgrade is only a few days old. And they are working also on improvements for it. Same goes for fixes. One thinks it would be easy to adress such bugs. But bugs that can happen but dont have to are really hard beasts. 

And last, but not least, the game is IN development. Its far from finished. Bugs happen. Thats what early access is for. We all have to deal with it, or stay away if we can´t handle it. For now the rocketrs are nearly useless, because of the huge costs, and near to nothing benefits from it. But thats okay. It will change over time. 

After the RU upgrade the devs finally actually revealed some vital information. There is only one more content upgrade planned to expand on industry related to space exploration. After that they'll finally start to look at much needed bug fixes, balancing, and maybe adding small bits of content that was left out, or wasn't thought of by the time the upgrade in question was released. If only the devs would have been much more straight forward in this respect but then again they might not have known fully themselves. I'm much more content to play and test the game now that I know there is an end to the added content, so we can actually test a completely game that just needs our help in being tweaked.

1 hour ago, SharraShimada said:

But bugs that can happen but dont have to are really hard beasts. 

Indeed, unless there is a save game, crash report or accurate steps to reproduce it devs will be like:

"Welp, other stuff has higher priority, including whatever new project may be made when we are done with this one. We rather wait while doing something else (we are paid for) for a proper report that saves us a lot of time"

Sure, especially crashes are the worst but incidentally those are fixed the faster the more frequent they are.

I have to sort of agree to you, i had 2 stop 2 saves because of rocket landing crashes, best thing you cand do i guess is make a save file before the launch esp if u go for the 12 cycle trip, if not you can just rollback i guess without risks, and then go back to it if it crashes, maybe waiting for the bug is fixed. For me the first time around it bugged at around the 10th rocket and i could not go back cause i did not make a save file in recent time, second time tho i did, and it happened again i would say around the same number of ~10th launch, also this time there we're 2 rockets being launched in the same day and it crashed on the second one landing.

Not ideal i admit, but i will assume this will be fixed soon 

Rocketry is the top of the tech tree anyway. I don`t have too much time to play the game and starting fresh i`m barely at the edge of space right now. Still far from building a rocket. Currently my plan is to make full use of the other features of the upgrade: liquid and gas tanks, and easy accessible lime. I think i`ll make my first full bunker wall barrier around the asteroid.

I actually was a bit surpirsed there weren`t any updates in the last week. Game seems pretty buggy, some of the art is unfinished and some of the rocket stuff could use some work. But i`m ok with it not being fully done. I can wait. Just hoping for the bug with dupes ignoring resources in compactors to be fixed. As for the rocket stuff i`m going to make a backup save before launching any and try to hunt some bugs, then maybe go back to the save when the next upgrade hits live.

1 hour ago, SakuraKoi said:

Indeed, unless there is a save game, crash report or accurate steps to reproduce it devs will be like:

"Welp, other stuff has higher priority, including whatever new project may be made when we are done with this one. We rather wait while doing something else (we are paid for) for a proper report that saves us a lot of time"

Sure, especially crashes are the worst but incidentally those are fixed the faster the more frequent they are.

I've been fixing bugs for a complicated web application with a huge back end and it surely doesn't work like that. When the client says it's a blocker bug, it has to be resolved. Same for major bugs. Even if they are random and difficult to find and fix.

The only difference here is that they can totally ignore the client as we are the client and we are also the customer. And everyone knows that the customer is surely not the king.

2 hours ago, Saturnus said:

I'm much more content to play and test the game now that I know there is an end to the added content, so we can actually test a completely game that just needs our help in being tweaked.

I understand your view of the problem. It's nice to know that they fill fix a lot of things afterwards. But for me, I play games for fun and then after if I can help a bit I do. But there is so much major bugs...

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

I actually was a bit surpirsed there weren`t any updates in the last week. Game seems pretty buggy, some of the art is unfinished and some of the rocket stuff could use some work

I couldn't agree more with that. I'm the kind of guy that usually sees the work of alpha from a nice perspective. But now it's been around 2 weeks and a half and still major bugs are there.

To add to major bugs : Gasses transforming into others. I have pockets of gasses that continue to grow as they switch places with no external interactions. There is a bug in the bug tracker that has all the informations to reproduce it at 100%. And to supplement this, when you use the exploit to put a little hydrogen or another gas above a steam turbine, a lot of people are now knowing that the space above the turbine may become full hydrogen or there will be only steam after a while.

Gasses being deleted. Some people have been mentionning their slime farm is deplted of CO2. And I must admit my CO2 and chlorine is disappearing slowly from any pockets I left untouched in my world.

When I play a simulation with that much of bugs I can't have fun sadly... And I so want to play it because it was good. And it will be. But it seems we must wait 3 weeks and a half more to see some mandatory bug fixes to put the game in a healthy state again.

To that I will add that early access customers are not testers. They are customers and participate in the marketing to encourage others to pay for the game and give good reviews if they liked it. In the current state, I clearly wouldn't recommend to buy it...

I have launched probably close to 20 rockets in my current colony. Not a single crash, disappearing duplicant or skill reset.

How about you try to see for yourself what might or might not work currently instead of listening to other people complain about potential already fixed problems without ever checking for yourself.

Sure some stuff in regards to rocket is not perfect currently.

No way to automatically open/close bunker doors at launch and landing. No way to hook that logic up to your gantry and other stuff. But we already know we will be able to do that in the new update.

Maybe this is just me but I never understood the desire of people to complain and complain without ever testing stuff for themselves. 

^^ This!

The only thing i desire for this game is (beside them keeping to develop this game for the rest of my life) that they make some performance optimation i update my reg only for ONI and it simply can not be that with an I7-8700K i get 5fps when playing....

3 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

That for itself is more or less useless. Logs give you a hint, but not the problem causing it.

Savegames may crash on your end, but run fine with somebody else. Thats the problem with bugs. They are not necessarily consistent.

You can bombard them with logs and "proof" in form of hundrets of savegames, and one may still not be able to finde the source of the problem. 

If you never coded something complex yourself, take my word for. If so, you should know it, or your program was not complex at all.

7 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

one may still not be able to finde the source of the problem.

Just because it may be a bug that is even more inconsistent (like dependent on the hardware and systems independent from the game), does not mean that it is "more or less useless" to at least provide them save games... 

especially when those are much more rare and bugs are not limited to crashes but like mentioned above having duplicants or their skills disappear.

If you are a developer you should know that Klei has sophisticated tools for troubleshooting and logging which certainly can capture whatever makes a duplicant or skill disappear.

Needless to say, in reality bugs are 100% consistent and it is only a matter of how many factors cause it and where those are located. Without the bug actually occurring, devs are obviously more at a loss than when they can observe it. More often than not, either savegames or accurate steps to reproduce (if reloading fixes it) help more often than not.

I can not help but ask: Just why would you make a post which essentially or rather obviously says "Sending them save games and everything that might very well help in most cases is useless"? I never told that it is the sure-fire way to get bugs fixed, did I?

2 hours ago, Mullematsch said:

I have launched probably close to 20 rockets in my current colony. Not a single crash, disappearing duplicant or skill reset.

How about you try to see for yourself what might or might now work currently instead of listening to other people complain about potential already fixed problems without ever checking for yourself.

Sure some stuff in regard to rocket is not perfect currently.

No way to automatically open/close bunker doors at launch and landing. No way to hook that logic up to your gantry and other stuff. But we already know we will be able to do that in the new update.

Maybe this is just me but I never understood the desire of people to complain and complain without ever testing stuff for themselves. 

Because I launched rockets in debug mode and sometimes it crashes when the rocket returns.

You are responding in a rude way.

And rockets are not the only problem here.

1 hour ago, Christophlette said:

Because I launched rockets in debug mode and sometimes it crashes when the rocket returns.

You are responding in a rude way.

And rockets are not the only problem here.

He not entirely wrong though. I would hardly call this game “unplayable”. 

A few options though.

Play the game and help them out by posting bug reports. I’m not a programmer but I can only assume this helps more then not posting one and just complaint the game has bugs.

Or...if you are unhappy with playing an early access game that has issuers, stop playing and wait for it to be finished.

klei clearly cares about the issues in this game . If they didn’t they would have just released it the way it was and stop paying people to work on it. 

12 minutes ago, Cypher-7 said:

He not entirely wrong though. I would hardly call this game “unplayable”. 

A few options though.

Play the game and help them out by posting bug reports. I’m not a programmer but I can only assume this helps more then not posting one and just complaint the game has bugs.

Or...if you are unhappy with playing an early access game that has issuers, stop playing and wait for it to be finished.

klei clearly cares about the issues in this game . If they didn’t they would have just released it the way it was and stop paying people to work on it. 

I posted several bugs and helped resolving a bunch that were not really bugs. So saying this kind of thing will not help at all.

Early access does not mean low quality at all. Some issues should be considered major and are kind of gamebreaking. I never said unplayable. You should re read all the posts.

And for the last line, just look at the bug tracker. There is no fix after the 9th of September. No news from the devs except a few "Can you give us the logs ?". And the bug tracker is full of "game crashes" "can't run the game through Steam". And a lot more bugs including the above mentionned.

30 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

I never said unplayable. You should re read all the posts.

10 hours ago, Christophlette said:

There is also a lot of crashs that seems to occur when rockets return. There are at least 3 bugs reported for that in the bug tracker. 

So in my opinion, the game as it is currently is not playable after you reach the rockets, and they are the point of the last update! 

Not playable ≠ unplayable 

No offense to you, all Im saying is I haven't had as much fun as playing Oxygen Not Included in a long time. And the game is by no means unplayable. Like I mentioned, I have no issues with space except lack of some features and also do not have any game breaking bugs occurring..

14 minutes ago, Mullematsch said:

Not playable ≠ unplayable 

No offense to you, all Im saying is I haven't had as much fun as playing Oxygen Not Included in a long time. And the game is by no means unplayable. Like I mentioned, I have no issues with space except lack of some features and also do not have any game breaking bugs occurring..

You need to fix your statement. As it currently stands you just agreed with him.

56 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

And you forgot to read the end of the sentence.

So I will quote myself : 

"You should re read all the posts."

Personally I'd recommend to just read the sentence completely but welp, whatever floats your boat even if it is a rocket engine~

I don't seem to have any issues with my current colony. Not a single crash. The only annoyance is the clear oversight of the regolith which causes lag if it piles up too much. For now I see it as authorized use of the sandbox mode to clear it and help my FPS.

The dissapearing/skill reset bugs are new to me. I have not yet launched a rocket, but I'm getting close to it, so I'll see if I can reproduce those issues. Of course, obvious bugs like gantries being burned have to be fixed.

Archived