Actual state of the game

I must admit. I haven't really bothered about testing any of the rocketry stuff much to be honest. Everything about it seems in a rushed half-finished state at the moment, such as numerous bugs, gassy grass, the space cow not working at all and so on, so why even bother testing it? I'll just test the parts of the game that should work and see what bugs we can find in that. I'm sure the devs will get around to making all the rocketry stuff actually work as intended (at least I hope the state it's in is not the intended finished state).

9 hours ago, Christophlette said:

I've been fixing bugs for a complicated web application with a huge back end and it surely doesn't work like that. When the client says it's a blocker bug, it has to be resolved. Same for major bugs. Even if they are random and difficult to find and fix.

Ok, but we're talking about a 30$, early-access, singleplayer game here. That analogy doesn't hold at all : nobody is losing money because they can't play Oxygen Not Included and nobody is paying a continuous fee for immediate technical support. It would make sense then if they are proceeding in a way that is more efficient in the long run but makes us wait a little bit for certain bug fixes.

The state of the game feels like what I'd expect for a late-ish cycle Early Access game. New content is buggy as hell, there's a few lingering systemic issues that will need to be addressed...but the parts of the game that work have come together quite nicely.  I'm encouraged that in the next few months they're going to shift away from new systems and focus on deepening existing ones and fixing those bugs.  Making some systems more rewarding to engage with (like health) or balanced (like with recent NatGas changes) seems to be where most of high-value targets are right now.  I feel like if/when those have some finishing touches then I'll be happy.

I feel like the last few upgrades were kinda rushed. Pretty much since Ranching there is alot of half baked stuff and they keep adding more systems on top of it. It`s like they can`t finish the upgrade in the timeframe they set for themselves. That considered i`d say it`s a good thing they are going to take another 6 week cycle for the Rocketry and increase it to 8 weeks for the future ones.

I`m wondering why there`s no bugfix patch yet. Maybe they are working on a really complex patch that redoes a system and it takes time. Or the changes are all tied together and they pushed them back to the next upgrade. If so we have to deal with the current state for 3 more weeks.

The only Issue I have observed outside of rocketry and space are that sometimes a dupe makes it past the exo-suit checkpoint without putting a suit on. Happens rarely and is even rarer a problem, with the occasional dupe returning with a mega-load of slimelung or getting into distress and getting hurt because of heat.

I wrote a bug-report for this and I expect it will eventually getting fixed. No manual (gameplay-level) fix that I can see for this issue though.

Rocketry and space are still pretty buggy and I think Klei should have taken some additional weeks for them. Did not fit their schedule though and I can understand that they pushed them out. 

Archived