Make Hatches eat regolith

7 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

12-16, imagine the meat and omelettes you would get from those bad boys!

I think their purpose should be to neither farm meat, eggs nor coal. I'd rather see them as garbage collectors that just happen to poop coal.

7 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

I think their purpose should be to neither farm meat, eggs nor coal. I'd rather see them as garbage collectors that just happen to poop coal.

Never even inferred that they should be farmable although the idea is entertaining but even if they gobbed up 10 tons in a bite and as often as regular hatches you'd still need 12-16 to keep up with the amount of incoming regolith. It was merely to point out how ridiculous the amounts of incoming regolith and regularity of meteor strikes are.

5 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Never even inferred that they should be farmable although the idea is entertaining but even if they gobbed up 10 tons in a bite and as often as regular hatches you'd still need 12-16 to keep up with the amount of incoming regolith. It was merely to point out how ridiculous the amounts of incoming regolith and regularity of meteor strikes are.

I totally agree with you on the amount of regolith that comes with asteroids.

If only meteors would litter less (while at the same time keeping the frequency, if that's the devs' intent), this wouldn't be such a problem. It would be similar to how different kinds of liquids stack differently (petrolum 760, oil I think 900 sth). Regolith could only stack to, lets' say, 100 kg like bleach stone, and so it would still accumulate like it does now, but weigh much less (all while assuming they'd decrease how much regolith is brought by asteroids, or else it would pile up too much).

Add monstruous hatches on top of that and our CPUs can finally get some rest.

Only a meteor can crack the egg open XD or imagine a spoon that was 10 tiles long that came down like a hammer using gravity XD

But I wouldnt say they could be farmable, if such a thing existed I think they would remain wild, but at least you can get the meat from them when they die and the eggshells, get 16 pieces of meat cuz of its size etc.

But I think it would be rather funny to see

2 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Only a meteor can crack the egg open XD or imagine a spoon that was 10 tiles long that came down like a hammer using gravity XD

But I wouldnt say they could be farmable, if such a thing existed I think they would remain wild, but at least you can get the meat from them when they die and the eggshells, get 16 pieces of meat cuz of its size etc.

It would be far to easy to farm these hatches if it they provided so much resources. How much dupe time would you invest in them? Almost none, except for harvesting resources. How much resources would you invest? None, because regolith is trash. The reward to investment ratio is way off in regards to farmable, meat-rich mega-hatches.

5 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

It would be far to easy to farm these hatches if it they provided so much resources. How much dupe time would you invest in them? Almost none, except for harvesting resources. How much resources would you invest? None, because regolith is trash. The reward to investment ratio is way off in regards to farmable, meat-rich mega-hatches.

Well considering you would only get 16 meat when it dies that 16 meat every 100 cycles if it still had a normal life span, or you could increase its lifespan. It shouldn't just die into nothingness either that or its becomes coal XD

28 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Just be creative! We got rockets now, just smash the eggs open by launching a rocket into it.

22 hours ago, SamLogan said:

Nope, it isn't. You can transform it in Clay with Deoxydizers as well we have :

Regolith -> Deoxydizer -> Clay -> Hatch.

To be sure Regolith is deliver to yor deoxydizer use the auto sweaper.

coal1.thumb.png.c60bbe4157ac2b06444b3e00e279ae14.png

For one Coal Generator :

18 Deoxydizers + 18 morbs + 9 Hatchs + 1,4 tonnes Regolith / cycle.

An example :

setupclay.thumb.png.cb053628ccf2aa4257c3935ac9495910.png

This is awesome 

@Tobruk @BlueLance I would like to present to you, King Behemoth, First of his name, King of the Asteroid, Devour of Regolith and Wrecker of your sh*t:

BehemothHatch.png

King Behemoth has been awakened 400 years too early due foolish duplicants digging him up. His armor from the outside is a mixture of regolith, mafic rock and more importantly, neutronium. Therefore the meezily guns of the duplicants don't even tickle him. He will devour any duplicant in one bite if they attack him, or if his regular diet of mafic rock and regolith is insufficient. Whenever King Behemoth walks, the surface shakes and trembles. Any tiles of mafic rock or regolith that is not dense enough, will be crushed below its enormous weight.

King Behemoth is not only a regolith eater. The antennae on top his head might be confused for a crown, but these antennae will allow King Behemoth to pick up on any incoming meteor strike, giving him sufficient time to dig under, and warning smart duplicants to use that information for their own.

Behemoth's digestive system will convert regolith down to sulfur. Duplicants still have to discover a way to use sulfur, although they have picked up on messages from a far away digital platform that sulfur might be used to make phosphorus. Who knows they'll unlock this in the future and find a way to befriend King Behemoth, or otherwise hopefully fall into his good graces. King Behemoth, being the unique hatch he is, cannot reproduce without his mating partner. Sadly a heavy meteor strike dislodged a piece of the asteroid on which his partner was at the time, drifting her into space. Maybe the duplicants can find a way to bring her back?

So, I like where this is going and, since we all are kind of set on hatches, how about meteors having a random chance of raining down regolith-eating hatches? Tentatively, hungry hatches, have them eat ten times as much as a regular one, for the same output, but they eat regolith and mafic rock, and have very high resistance to heat.

21 minutes ago, Daikataro said:

So, I like where this is going and, since we all are kind of set on hatches, how about meteors having a random chance of raining down regolith-eating hatches? Tentatively, hungry hatches, have them eat ten times as much as a regular one, for the same output, but they eat regolith and mafic rock, and have very high resistance to heat.

The point to the behemoth hatch is to reduce the amount of regolith and lag cause by debris. Making this hatch pop from nowhere would add some lag because critters are for now a great source of lag. Plus making them poop coal would definitely make coal generators too powerfull due to the quantity of regolith that rains down on the asteroid.

It could have been a great idea but some aspects might cripple some people fps and the balance of the game (that needs to be redone and will be in next updates).

But the very high heat resistance might be a clue to a new kind of hatch. Maybe if we can heat a stone hatch above 250°C it could lay behemoth hatch eggs ? Making it a mid/late game hatch. And to add to the challenge, why not put gas as an output. So it would need a special build to contain the gas and let the regolith enter the build. 

28 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

The point to the behemoth hatch is to reduce the amount of regolith and lag cause by debris. Making this hatch pop from nowhere would add some lag because critters are for now a great source of lag. Plus making them poop coal would definitely make coal generators too powerfull due to the quantity of regolith that rains down on the asteroid.

It could have been a great idea but some aspects might cripple some people fps and the balance of the game (that needs to be redone and will be in next updates).

But the very high heat resistance might be a clue to a new kind of hatch. Maybe if we can heat a stone hatch above 250°C it could lay behemoth hatch eggs ? Making it a mid/late game hatch. And to add to the challenge, why not put gas as an output. So it would need a special build to contain the gas and let the regolith enter the build. 

I am glad atleast the name is picking up :D!

In my view, the behemoth hatch would be very, very unique and very difficult to reproduce, and when it normally does imo the offspring should be really inferior to the behemoth hatch, like regular sized hatches perhaps dubbed stardust hatches. This is why I suggested the Behemoth hatch does not reproduce asexually like the rest of its kind, but needs a mating partner which needs to be retrieved in space.

From there, again in my humble opinion, you have 2 further options: either go the easy route and make the 2 behemoth hatches immortal, or put them in a conditional life cycle: have them put down 2 giant behemoth eggs and before those 2 hatch, the 2 behemoth hatches die off to make room for the giant offspring. The incubation period should be very long, maybe 100/150/200 cycles, with the 2 older behemoth hatches dieing off 25 cycles before hatching. You'd ensure this way that:

-You have a life cycle for these beasts without the possibility to extinct them. The giant eggs cannot be cracked or spoiled.
-You keep them unique by keeping their usual offspring rather ordinary.
-You have a fun little quest which requires a very late game position to get reproduction of relogith eating hatches going.
-You suddenly have a big BBQ feast for your dupes!

Also, it goes without saying such a large hatch simply cannot be tamed. Which would also mean you could defend a very low conversion ratio. The stardust hatches on the other hand would have more normal conversion ratios, but would also eat a whole lot less regolith to begin with.

For what it poops out, I think it should have some use but only after further conversion. Sour gas or sulfur (which still needs to get an use in the first place), for instance. Maybe it should just poop out mafic rock at low(er) quantities?

Archived