Jump to content

Gulp fish worth it?


Recommended Posts

I want to know if having a gulp fish tank for water production is worth the effort.

Gulp fish converts 100 g\s of polluted water into clean water. So if you will have about 5-10 gulp fishes you could, in theory, convert pretty much all you polluted water into clean water.

The problem is temperature as most things excrete polluted water at rather high t and gulp fish could live in cold biomes only and dies when t>25C. So cooling facility is required. Anyone tried it?.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

I want to know if having a gulp fish tank for water production is worth the effort.

Gulp fish converts 100 g\s of polluted water into clean water. So if you will have about 5-10 gulp fishes you could, in theory, convert pretty much all you polluted water into clean water.

The problem is temperature as most things excrete polluted water at rather high t and gulp fish could live in cold biomes only and dies when t>25C. So cooling facility is required. Anyone tried it?.

when I tried them out, they converted PW to water very, very slowly....too slowly to to be of any use.

Keeping them alive is not a problem, once you have bred the first one, he will have a base chance of ~60% to breed other gulp fish even outside the required range, they can live in 10-20C water no problem

I don't think they are worth it though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Carnis said:

For cooling they might work, but since regolith is infinite saving sand to avoid water sieve seems redundant.

Yeah. Aaaand you get polluted dirt from the sieves, which to me outweighs the issue of (sometimes) heating your liquid to 40 deg*. Granted, not everyone farms sleet wheat like me, so you may not need that dirt.

 

* I say sometimes because the fixed temp is a two-edged sword :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Man in the Mist said:

They might be useful if they're still able to convert PW into ice if the PW is cold enough.  From a slush geyser, for example.

I ended up with gulp fish in my slush water tank this last playthrough, they do not convert PW from slush geyser into ice but they do ice the clean water that they output and it sits in the bottom of the PW tank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm using a tank of gulp fish in a tank fed by a cool slush geyser as my primary source of cooled water.  I have a glass forge dumping in molten glass tied to a temp sensor to keep the water just above freezing to avoid having piles of ice at the bottom of the tank.  It's working great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2018 at 5:11 AM, Man in the Mist said:

They might be useful if they're still able to convert PW into ice if the PW is cold enough.  From a slush geyser, for example.

They work nicely in the output from a slush geyser -- and yes, the slush geyser turns the water directly into ice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

For cooling they might work, but since regolith is infinite saving sand to avoid water sieve seems redundant.

And sand is infinite if you use the rock crusher. I don't use the gulp fish, but in my new tank fish i will try to accommodate all types of fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not quite sure what is with all the misinformation here but welp:

  • Conversion unaffected by taming
  • Can live in up to 25°C Water
  • Convert 200g/s (for you I even tested if the hover does not read wrong)
  • 25 for the same performance as a full-running Sieve
  • 1 can cover ~3 Natural Gas Generators
  • 1 can cover 10 Duplicant's "Business"
  • 1 can cover ~7.5 Duplicant's Shower
  • 1 can cover 6 Bristle Blossoms/Sleet Wheat
  • 1.5 to cover one Algae Terrarium 
  • 2 can cover one Algae Distiller
  • 4 can cover one Petroleum generator (running at all times)
  • 5 to cover a carbon skimmer (not that one would use it)
  • 12-16 to cover the average Cool Slush Geyser

 

Conclusion: Gulp fish can be awesome but are useless for mass conversion and helpless high temperatures. At least they also produce a lot of egg shells and meat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have one, the water in here came from a cool slush geyser as well. I was planning to use the water to replenish my clean source of water but it took them so much time converting it that I just forgot to do it. 

image.thumb.png.3e1df528f1b61d26bfb44ac59ffec6f0.png 

I say, don't put too much effort into it. They are as good as pacus, and just as bad.

One more thing. Now that I'm trying to replenish the water with polluted water, I get this problem with liquids not being spreaded correctly. Look at the tile below the polluted water 1.3kg. It's gonna break eventually. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, pancakemafia said:

One more thing. Now that I'm trying to replenish the water with polluted water, I get this problem with liquids not being spreaded correctly. Look at the tile below the polluted water 1.3kg. It's gonna break eventually. 

You didn't happen to make that tile out of sedimentary rock, did you?

Sedimentary rock is one of the most horrible material for pressure vessels, because it's one of the softest raw minerals you can make tiles out of. If you make that out of granite (one of the strongest materials), it can withstand FAR more pressure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

You didn't happen to make that tile out of sedimentary rock, did you?

Sedimentary rock is one of the most horrible material for pressure vessels, because it's one of the softest raw minerals you can make tiles out of. If you make that out of granite (one of the strongest materials), it can withstand FAR more pressure.

Oh my god! I always use what's available around! To the hatch farm these rocks!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, pancakemafia said:

You guys are blowing my mind! LOL Thanks for the tips! Except the cold will leak out from the water though. :D

Not if the tiles are filled with nothing, heck, even with, the airflow tiles do not only happen to be indestructible but they also do not exchange heat with the liquid. Might as well rename them to "Magic Tiles" at this point~

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...