Are there any good reasons to build rooms taller than 4 tiles?

I generally have a 6-tile tall horizontal room that bisects my base that serves as a primary access-way between the in-colony areas (bathrooms, housing, food, etc) and my industrial areas.  Similarly I have a 7 tile wide vertical shaft that also bisects the base for vertical access.  Makes it a lot easier to run pipes and ventilation access, though I'm looking at refining this into having side-columns on either side of the base itself instead of a central column where I intend to keep my heavi-watt runs, transformers, and other mechanical support equipment for the base itself.

8 hours ago, storm6436 said:

I generally have a 6-tile tall horizontal room that bisects my base that serves as a primary access-way between the in-colony areas (bathrooms, housing, food, etc) and my industrial areas.  Similarly I have a 7 tile wide vertical shaft that also bisects the base for vertical access.  Makes it a lot easier to run pipes and ventilation access, though I'm looking at refining this into having side-columns on either side of the base itself instead of a central column where I intend to keep my heavi-watt runs, transformers, and other mechanical support equipment for the base itself.

Sounds interesting! Would you provide a picture? 

4 seems high for standard room.

I frequent 2 tile for my (*slave pens) bedrooms.

3 For any level with lavatories.

Ranches I build 11by9 or 9by11 for 99 size, then Block 3 tiles to end with 96 & a 9 wide eggdropping zone for single sweeper to handle.

4 hours ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Sounds interesting! Would you provide a picture? 

This is what I was hoping for but I don't think my thread was straight forward enough. I want to see other people's builds and understand why they do things a certain way.

i use 4 high pretty much everywhere.  i do sometimes use taller ones for specific uses, such as illumination of a max # of hydro tiles with 1 overhead lamp or sometimes algae terrariums.  this time around i'm using neither so far so i don't recall the exact height.. 8 high?

On 1/9/2018 at 10:32 PM, Christophlette said:

Taller rooms can be done if you want to put painting above 3 tiles high buildings. Like sinks or lavatories. Or even the oil refinery.

There is no reason to do that, dupes spend so little time in toilets that it has no effect, it's all about bedrooms and static workplaces like science or cooking, I'm not sure the mess hall actually has a decor effect, but since the tables is so small and the room bonus require it, I always end up decorating it anyway.

The only reason to decorate most of the world is PURELY for player enjoyment.

I do use 2,3 and ranche related rooms can be any height depending on need.

My power room is a combination of 4 and 3, because only the buff machine needs two tiles of 4. (I HATE that the machines footprint is something like 10 tiles smaller than the building look, because the room size limit forces me to make it look like crap)

I do try to give heat machines some space, but I'm not sure if that is any better than a form fitting building would work just as well.

There is a ton of problems with most (every?) building not matching it's footprint, so a small transformer is 2x2 tiles, but need at least 3x2 to fit it's look, geyser the same, where the animation makes the height 2-3 tiles higher than the geyser footprint. I readily admit that I will redesign my power station to have 3 height just to make it visually pleasing.

The new gas tank fits in four tiles, but I only build it in five tile height rooms because of the top getting cut off otherwise.

19 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

That is not the case for sure. Decorating hallways improve morale boost a lot. It just needs more work than just power decorating a bedroom.

It's like sleeping, you don't need to sleep 24 hours a day and just the same with the deco buff, you just need to soak up enough quality deco for each cycle, to get the full buff for that day and for some reason a simple 8 bed/8 pictures room does just enough to keep the buff topped off.

Edit: Though it's possible that because my current base design didn't allow the sides of the room to have deco, I had to put my miners in the center for them to get enough deco.

Just now, Miravlix said:

It's like sleeping, you don't need to sleep 24 hours a day and just the same with the deco buff, you just need to soak up enough quality deco for each cycle, to get the full buff for that day and for some reason a simple 8 bed/8 pictures room does just enough to keep the buff topped off.

Unless you let your dupes spend more than 3 hours sleeping, that is not true. Or you have a lot more than 8 paintings. Because my dupes have around 7 or 8 morale bonus with this setup and lots of genius sculptures everywhere and painting above compactors.

1 minute ago, Christophlette said:

Unless you let your dupes spend more than 3 hours sleeping, that is not true. Or you have a lot more than 8 paintings. Because my dupes have around 7 or 8 morale bonus with this setup and lots of genius sculptures everywhere and painting above compactors.

My toilets, my almost everywhere has no decoration items, except the places it's enforced or by cooking and science machines (And maybe that isn't needed as the deco isnt that bad around the machines.).

I don't make long ladder builds with statues on the side anymore.

Archived