Liquid storage for disinfection

I was wondering when the liquid storage container hit the preview branch wether it retains one of the more interesting properties of solid storage: It's contents are disinfected by chlorine. After I found out it did I built this little contraption:

image.thumb.png.287308dbb59e021484296834635bab55.png

It takes the excess water from my toilet and shower facilities wich is full of germs and pipes it to the liquid storage tank submerged in a chlorine atmospere. The automation makes sure the water gets to sit in the tank for a while before the shutoff is opened and a batch of treated water gets sent off for other purposes in the base.

Now one might consider wether this is intended behavior or not, since the water is supposed to sit in the tank, closed off from the outside it makes little sense that chlorine outside of the tank interacts with it. Nevertheless, it is a cool thing I wasn't able to build before and I thought I'd share.

Build two tanks. Each with an input blockage sensor.

Use a flip flop to shut off valves to control which tank have an active input, and which have an active output. That way the full tank will have all germs killed before the other fills up so you can have continuous flow.

Can confirm that the "surrounded by chlorine" buff for killing germs also applies for the gas storage tank. It even works to disinfect polluted oxygen.

22 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Build two tanks. Each with an input blockage sensor.

Use a flip flop to shut off valves to control which tank have an active input, and which have an active output. That way the full tank will have all germs killed before the other fills up so you can have continuous flow.

That would be a way to increase the throughput of such a system but in that case I'd argue for 3 tanks since filling the tank also requires some time and germs will keep being added while it is being filled. Good call though.

Wow. This is a really cool new development. I think it "might" be a bug as solid storage doesn't need to be 100% sealed so having gas mix in is totally possible. A liquid or gas storage container would have to be sealed though, or everything would just leak out.

Honestly is awful, because I hope this stays. Soooo much easier to handle

11 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

If i´m not mistaken, thats old bevaior. Take, for example, a compactor with algae/slime. Submerge it in chlorine, and your fine.

Pretty sure that's exactly what OP is talking about?  The difference is that it shouldn't work that way for liquid stored in a sealed (or nearly sealed) container being disinfected by contact with a gas....  that it's not actually in contact with.

I did this setup in survival mode:

image.thumb.png.4d4ba8be6c5fa220071a71d3d7167d81.png

the reservoir on the right is a store of clean water with germs, the chlorine only removes part of the germs, since it continuously receives water from the purifier water sieve (and maybe because it has more water). The reservoir on the left stores less amount of water so it can be disinfected, with this automation, it works 6 times per cycle, 30 seconds activated and 70 sec deactivated if there are germs, if not, it sends them to the upper water zone without germs, same for left reservoir (then the second reservoir stores 300 kg each time the automation allows it) I only need to change the filter and buffer gate to stabilize it

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.cb9b0cea7ce17acf13d1a73f0d8c2fae.pngimage.thumb.png.9e0767fe81f967b7f42515cd1e87e22f.png

I was boring and thinking about this setup was a good exercise when I getting up in the morning :p

23 hours ago, chemie said:

Interesting but fun fact, you dont need to worry about food poisoned water for any mid and late game uses

Not actually true.  You need clean, non-germy, water to supply Water Coolers and the Espresso Machine.

Using the tanks this way is a neat find (assuming it stays). 

I've been dumping my germy water into a hot water cistern to disinfect it, but this will be easier to setup.

Plus, I can use it to disinfect polluted water directly.

1 minute ago, Soulwind said:

You need clean, non-germy, water to supply Water Coolers and the Espresso Machine.

Only if you're playing with miserable immunity (-15%). My weak immunity (-5%) dupes are happy to sip piss water. It's only 1kg so the amount of germs is minuscule. 

On 24/08/2018 at 5:03 PM, nvzboy said:

I was wondering when the liquid storage container hit the preview branch wether it retains one of the more interesting properties of solid storage: It's contents are disinfected by chlorine. After I found out it did I built this little contraption:

image.thumb.png.287308dbb59e021484296834635bab55.png

It takes the excess water from my toilet and shower facilities wich is full of germs and pipes it to the liquid storage tank submerged in a chlorine atmospere. The automation makes sure the water gets to sit in the tank for a while before the shutoff is opened and a batch of treated water gets sent off for other purposes in the base.

Now one might consider wether this is intended behavior or not, since the water is supposed to sit in the tank, closed off from the outside it makes little sense that chlorine outside of the tank interacts with it. Nevertheless, it is a cool thing I wasn't able to build before and I thought I'd share.

never seen this engine beforem it's a long time i don't play but i can't see it in debug mode (telescope either), how do you get it please?

40 minutes ago, Flydo said:

never seen this engine beforem it's a long time i don't play but i can't see it in debug mode (telescope either), how do you get it please?

Preview upgrade, maybe you are playing Expressive upgrade 

Follow the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "rocketry_upgrade_testing"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

Archived